PDA

View Full Version : Auto gun question

LotusCorgi
17-07-2012, 01:37
Are auto guns and lasguns totally interchangable in 6ed?

Thanks in advance

Squishtopher
17-07-2012, 01:59
I think that you are correct in your assumption (there seems to be no difference in the two stat-lines) though I could be wrong. If we are right I guess the only difference is how it looks (as I assume people will choose to equip their models with whichever one they liked the look of more). I hope this helps (though I doubt it did as I didn't really add anything to the conversation) and I am sorry if I wasted your time.

Spell_of_Destruction
17-07-2012, 02:57
It has been that way since 3rd edition has it not?

In 2nd ed the lasgun had a -1 save modifier whereas the autogun was 0. I can't recall if the autogun had a better to hit modifier at short range (the autopistol was better than a laspistol IIRC).

Gretchin used to be armed with autoguns...not sure who uses them now (rumours are suggesting cultists will have autoguns).

The advantages of the lasgun are ease of production and maintenance, not increased killing power.

Senbei
17-07-2012, 11:42
In 1st Ed the Autogun was superior to the Lasgun. It had a longer range but was otherwise identical.

In 2nd Ed it lost the extra range and all save mods, making it a junk weapon for your grotz.

Ever since 3rd there has been no rules difference between the Autogun and Lasgun, though the fluff states the AG to be a more deadly weapon (something that was obvious in the Fire Warrior game where Lasguns were -A LOT- suckier) as Las weapons cauterize the wound they cause .

okra87
17-07-2012, 12:25
Are auto guns and lasguns totally interchangable in 6ed?

Thanks in advance

FAQ Codex IG says, that FRFSRF only affects lasguns...

Taureus
17-07-2012, 12:35

That's more to prevent it affecting Hot-Shot Lasguns. As x3 shots with AP 3 at short range would be the perfect MEQ killing formula.

Modeling-wise, Lasgun = Autogun.

Chem-Dog
17-07-2012, 19:41
It has been that way since 3rd edition has it not?

In 2nd ed the lasgun had a -1 save modifier whereas the autogun was 0. I can't recall if the autogun had a better to hit modifier at short range (the autopistol was better than a laspistol IIRC).

Pretty much spot on.

And in an IG army Autoguns aren't available, so if you're building IG with Autoguns they are Lasguns to all intents and purposes.

That's more to prevent it affecting Hot-Shot Lasguns.

And all other weapons, extra shots with Plasmaguns specifically be a pretty terrifying prospect.

In short, yes, they are. There are a few reasons one may chose Autoguns from a fluff standpoint, Lasgun powerpacks can lose their charge in the cold making an Autogun a preferable choice.

Konovalev
17-07-2012, 19:43
Didn't the IG codex out back in 3ED even go so far as to list Autogun <stats> Lasgun <stats> even though their stats were identical?

badguyshaveallthefun
17-07-2012, 19:50
Go with whatever you like the most, I've actually seen some pretty cool conversion kits with everything from AK-47's to SCARS. In the end, the rules are the same for both, so do what you want, it's your army.

Zombiecrackers
19-07-2012, 23:32
That's more to prevent it affecting Hot-Shot Lasguns. As x3 shots with AP 3 at short range would be the perfect MEQ killing formula.

Modeling-wise, Lasgun = Autogun.

A same really imagine the marine players faces xD

Cthell
19-07-2012, 23:36
Didn't the IG codex out back in 3ED even go so far as to list Autogun <stats> Lasgun <stats> even though their stats were identical?

Yeah, it even persisted in the steel legion list in Codex:Armageddon; the hive ganger squad (I think they were called conscripts?) was armed with either lasguns or autoguns

AndrewGPaul
20-07-2012, 00:29

No; it had a single entry for "Lasgun / Autogun" and another for "Laspistol / Autopistol".

astrocortex
20-07-2012, 00:32
Barring the save mod in 1st and 2nd they always been pretty much the same. The only time they had major differences was in Necromunda where the las gun had a 2+ ammo roll, compared to 4+, and was 5 points more expensive to buy.

Killgore
20-07-2012, 09:30
I'm sure from a fluff perspective there must be thousands of guard regiments without access to lasguns, I like the idea of autogun guard as a modeling challenge.

Game wise there is no difference in standard 40k between a autogun and a lasgun

Taureus
20-07-2012, 15:15
And all other weapons, extra shots with Plasmaguns specifically be a pretty terrifying prospect.

Well the Order states "...lasguns..." which is why people would try to argue that Hot-Shots were under that category by being a kind of lasgun.

But yes, anything getting bonus shots would be wild...