PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld's Badab War books - how are they?

loveless
17-07-2012, 05:07
Hey all,

I was thinking of picking these up (I'm a bit late to the party, I know) and wonder how they ranked in terms of background and general "cool factor".

I remember the old White Dwarf article about the several warbands some players built and did a sort of campaign/story about hunting down Huron - it was rather delightful and I always recall it with fondness.

The books seem to be a little on the pricey side (and I take it you might as well get both) - so what are my chances of buyer's remorse?

Thanks!

ForgottenLore
17-07-2012, 05:14
I consider the Badab War books to be, hands down, the best of FWs books. I have never liked space marines, lays found them dull and very uninteresting, but reading FWs treatment of the Badab War got me so enthused about marines I actually started planning a marine army.

Yodhrin
17-07-2012, 06:22
I agree with ForgottenLore, the Badab books are hands-down the best FW books, I would go so far as to say the best books GW has ever produced when you consider the totality of the rules, fluff, and art. They're worth picking up for the huge variety of interesting special characters alone, if you're a Marine player(gotta love Counts As :) ); if you're even remotely into the background they're also worth picking up purely on that basis.

LawrencePhillips
17-07-2012, 07:19
na, the Valks trilogy was better but the lists in the books haven't aged well at all.

Badab is pretty good, however I was disappointed as they started to diverge from the style of writing.

Proof reading in these books have gone downhill big time too.

Colonel Kolm
17-07-2012, 11:50
the Badab war books were the first two imperial armor books ive bought. ive since bought them all. they are absolutely fantasticly done books. the fluff is outstanding. the rules are great, and it has great examples of the models for painting etc. i would highly recommend any of the books. although i will agree with the above poster my personal favorites are the vraks trilogy. as to the lists aging well from what ive been reading(so i could be mistaken) GW is updating all of the books to make them compatible(again i could be mistaken its just what ive seen in various rumor posts etc)

KingDeath
17-07-2012, 12:16
They are massive spessmuhreen **** with a few glaring logic holes of the "and then chapter xy captured an entire planet against thousands of defenders"( yes thousands, imperial planets are apparently sparsely populated...) kind. Forgeworld's believe that you could defend a star system with a bunch of minefields and stations is equaly painful but a bit more forgivable, since that appears to be a rather common scifi trope.

Col. Dash
17-07-2012, 13:27
Awesome pair of books. Especially for an old timer like me that got in when the original articles were being released. It misses a few things like camo on marines, but it does include the Tigers Claws chapter (which were the original Astral Claws until GW changed the fluff completely) and I like how they keep them relevant to the fluff even if they didnt go back to the original material on that point. Overall I would rate them at A+.

IcedCrow
17-07-2012, 14:07
They are phenomenal.

Sqallum
17-07-2012, 15:50
Absolutely great! They contain 17 Special Characters, all with their unique special rules and Chapter Tactics. There is also a Dreadnought siege list, a Space Marine Siege Master, and rules for Guard Miltia. A must buy :)

CaptainSicarius
17-07-2012, 19:57
I would also definately recommend these books. Probably the best in the IA series, due to excellent storyline (with some actual character development and a high degree of consistency and originality), a very nice assortment of special characters (which I myself particularly like), usable army lists and high quality lay-out. It is also rather clear the authors took the effort to create a compelling story, while at the same time nicely meshing it with the existing fluff. It does have some minor flaws, as some people have pointed out the proofreading wasn't all too good, and it is pretty much solely about Marines (which I personally don't think is a problem). If you are getting them, be sure to get the dual package for the nice case and poster! Enjoy :D

badguyshaveallthefun
17-07-2012, 21:46
i'll pretty much echo what most others have said:

This was a VERY good series of books, and if you even remotely are a fan of Space Marines it's worth the investment. There are pages and pages dedicated to the organisations and paint colors of the different chapters involved (which is one of the main reasons I like the IA books in general) not too mention the alternate lists for playing different types of armies, but there are also a few Apocalypse formations as well (which I play monthly, so they're of great worth to me).

Since others have brought it up, I will also mention that the Vrak's trilogy was also very well done, but I personally liked the Badab War much better, there's just something about Luft Huron and his fall from grace that gets to me, I always enjoy reading about stories like this, watching someone go from "good" to "bad" and the justification and the little things that help to speed up that path. (I also love the Horus Heresy for these same reasons, watching Primarchs succumb to vanity and pride)

My 2 (maybe more) cents.

Sandlemad
18-07-2012, 10:46
In addition to everything already stated, they each contain ten Index Astartes-style articles which in truth are far better written (in-universe 'history') than the original Index Astartes articles in WD.

SilentCivilian
18-07-2012, 10:54
The Independent Characters podcast have done a full review of the Badwar books. May be worth listening to those episodes and taking it from there.

Navar
18-07-2012, 14:49
I bought the Valks trilogy first and got these when they came out.

I believe that the Badab War books are better. Not simply the rules, but the way that the book differentiates between the different Space Marine chapters.

These books inspired me to make a Sons of Medusa chapter.

Capussa
18-07-2012, 20:38
I have all 11 IA books, the badab war books are awsome for marine players, the stories in 3 onwards vary but are all good and include lots of stuff for guard players and a little for marines, each book also includes a campaign for the story and some additional rules for another faction

nagash66
18-07-2012, 23:08
Badabooks are worth every penny and are a must buy for any marine fan.

MvS
18-07-2012, 23:47
I also would like to add my voice to those who are recommending these books. They are excellent in every relevant sense.

Inquisitor Kallus
18-07-2012, 23:53
I bought the Valks trilogy first and got these when they came out.

I believe that the Badab War books are better. Not simply the rules, but the way that the book differentiates between the different Space Marine chapters.

These books inspired me to make a Sons of Medusa chapter.

I didnt ever see a book on 'Valks', though The siege of 'Vraks' books were great...

Anyway, ive got one of the Badab books and found it to be great reading, just like the majority of FW books background (spelling mistakes aside). Go for it dude, im sure youll like it.

Inquisitor Engel
18-07-2012, 23:55
I didnt ever see a book on 'Valks', though The siege of 'Vraks' books were great...

Oh don't be pedantic. :p

The Badab Books are amazing and well worth the money. If you can buy them, buy them.

The_Trans
24-07-2012, 15:37
Just finished reading them. Really changed how I looked at Huron, and loyalist marines..Huron was trying to do the right thing at the start..and well "loyalist" marines are just as much murdering unheroic butchers as their chaos brethren...

Grimbad
25-07-2012, 02:45
It misses a few things like camo on marines.

I thought it danced around that issue rather elegantly, giving a couple examples of marines with vague 'field modification' or 'weathering' that were ambiguous about whether the color schemes were also camouflage, and the one example of an alternate night fighting heraldry scheme.

In general I thought it was all done very well, having plenty of chapters with a broad variety of themes but keeping them all workable in the regular codex list (Lamenters excluded) deserves some applause for integrity. The background was excellent, not just in making a bunch of marines clobbering each other interesting but a good feel for the remoteness of the Imperium and the amount of feudal bickering that can go on.

loveless
10-08-2012, 15:50
I'm going to resurrect my own thread here to say thanks.

Given the several "go for it" type messages I received, I went ahead and picked these up. They're spectacular. The size, the heft, the quality - and the writing (thus far) is rather solid. The number of little maps, in-depth descriptions, unit examples, and so forth are all incredibly impressive.

The only downside is that now I want to build several Space Marine chapters and a Tyrant's Legion force...

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Bonzai
10-08-2012, 16:49
Is it weird that the Tauros campaign is still my favorite? :angel:

Surgency
10-08-2012, 16:58
Not at all, I have all of them from 3 on, and while good, The Vraks and Badab books just don't compare to the Taros Campaign, imo.

tuo
10-08-2012, 20:50
I have never red the Taros Campaign books - sadly - but I think the Vraks books are much better.

Seldomly I experienced such a perfectly written build up of tension paired with the perfect description of "war of attrition" as in Vraks. IMHO, these are the books which depicts the Imperial Guard and how it manages their ressources/lives perfectly. Till today, the scene where - after pages and pages of ongoing artillery duels and millions of deaths - the first squads manage to cross no mans land and conquer the first fortification...I really had my thumbs crossed for them to manage to survive in there, only to see them die, and the whole clock beeing reset to zero. This moment was so strong, where every hope you had (and I play Chaos ;) ) of them actually breaking the first barriers was lost, and you knew: back to more weeks of artillery duels, needless deaths in no mans lands etc. Incredibly strong stories.

The Badab books are another step regarding quality and everything, but I found the first book - to be honest - not that thrilling, simply because there was no defined focus, the scale was very large and no outcome of a story felt "important" or "dramatic" apart from the meeting on the space station, which also could have been done better IMHO. This changed mostly in the second book, but still my favourite are the Vraks books.

Have tgo pick up the Taros Campaign when I read these reviews here!

regards

tuo

Surgency
11-08-2012, 00:21
While Vraks focused on the hopelessness of it all, Taros was about moving quickly and securing ground to strike from. It almost perfectly emphasized the combined arms approach that seems so absent in many BL writings, with tanks roaring across open desert while artillery shells fly overhead to points far in the distance. It was very good at capturing the environment, and you there was a palpable sense of urgency as time (and supplies) started to run out for the Imperium. I enjoyed reading about the search and destroy mission of the Space Marines, who preceded their attack with a single Deathwind Drop Pod launched into a courtyard, and tensed a little as the first Barracudas flew overhead, knowing that the Tau response was coming, and the Space Marines were essentially on their own. I found myself anxiously reading the portions of the book regarding the capture of a water depot, wondering who would come out victorious at the end, and what the results would mean for the assault as a whole. I wondered at the futility of storming the Phyrra Heights, and giggled a little as the Kroot emerged to decimate the attackers.

Overall, despite the stupidly large amount of grammatical and typographical errors (which are inexcusable, imo), it almost perfectly captured the Tau way of war, and very much emphasized the uncaring nature of the Imperium, with almost no one immune to punishment.

Oh, and the assassin hunting the Ethereal was kinda cool too :p

Bonzai
11-08-2012, 04:37
While Vraks focused on the hopelessness of it all, Taros was about moving quickly and securing ground to strike from. It almost perfectly emphasized the combined arms approach that seems so absent in many BL writings, with tanks roaring across open desert while artillery shells fly overhead to points far in the distance. It was very good at capturing the environment, and you there was a palpable sense of urgency as time (and supplies) started to run out for the Imperium. I enjoyed reading about the search and destroy mission of the Space Marines, who preceded their attack with a single Deathwind Drop Pod launched into a courtyard, and tensed a little as the first Barracudas flew overhead, knowing that the Tau response was coming, and the Space Marines were essentially on their own. I found myself anxiously reading the portions of the book regarding the capture of a water depot, wondering who would come out victorious at the end, and what the results would mean for the assault as a whole. I wondered at the futility of storming the Phyrra Heights, and giggled a little as the Kroot emerged to decimate the attackers.

Overall, despite the stupidly large amount of grammatical and typographical errors (which are inexcusable, imo), it almost perfectly captured the Tau way of war, and very much emphasized the uncaring nature of the Imperium, with almost no one immune to punishment.

Oh, and the assassin hunting the Ethereal was kinda cool too :p

Seconded. I loved the realist portrayal of the Space Marines. They are an elite surgical strike force, with specific targets and parameters. Not a novel where you send 10 marines vs a planet and expect them to win. They have a job to do, and are in and out. Exactly how an elite resource like Astartes should be used in a modern Imperial army. The Imperium was portrayed as the large, cumbersome, and inefficient behemouth that it is. People complained that things were set up perfectly for a Tau victory, but that was the point. The book was supposed to showcase the Tau, and it does a good job of it. If the conditions weren't right, the Tau would have not been able to hang on. Instead the Imperium let the Tau fight their style of war, mobile, long range, hit and run warfare. I just wish that the Hazard suits were in there. LOL