PDA

View Full Version : What legion were Horus leading? And did he have th same look and gear at the heresy?

Fizzy
17-07-2012, 17:32
I found the old Horus model laying in a box. I was planning to make his legion pre heresy a while back but time was short. I now got 1 month to get started and paint alot.

So what legion were he leading? Sons of Horus or Lunar wolves. I know it might be a stupid question but I got confused on the internet.

Also did he have the same colour and gear as in the scene where he smashes the emperor. Well I think you veterans know how the limited horus models looks like.

I plan on using him as a HQ with a terminator squad.

DEADMARSH
17-07-2012, 17:42
Both. The Luna Wolves became the Sons of Horus after he was promoted to Warmaster if I remember right.

Col. Dash
17-07-2012, 17:42
Luna Wolves which had a very pale green, almost white paint scheme. They were not sons of Horus until after the Heresy.

scratch that, you are right, after Warmaster promotion

Fizzy
17-07-2012, 17:47
Well I like the sceme and symbols of Sons of horus and I want to play the army as a space marine legion.

Did he look the same all the way? I have not read that much and thats why I ordered 3 books about pre heresy.

DEADMARSH
17-07-2012, 18:02
Check this out-

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Luna_Wolves#.UAWaujWZ2e0

Lord Damocles
17-07-2012, 18:05
In The Kaban Project (in Collected Visions), Horus doesn't have the suit of armour which he wears when the confronts the Emperor yet.

It's not clear exactly when the story is set, but judging by the tie-ins with Mechanicum, it seems to be just before Mars turns traitor; and while Horus is still in the Isstvan system.

At this point the Luna Wolves had already been re-named the Sons of Horus, so Horus in Emperor-fighting attire would have to be leading Sons of Horus.

Fizzy
17-07-2012, 18:56
So it seems legit that I could make a space marine legion with sons of horus and having Horus leading them just before they turned on the emperor according to the lexicanum. I might be taking that part wrong.

I dont think many would be judging me for playings sons of horus as an space marine legion with Horus wearing terminator armour and leading a squad with terminators in an likewise colours?

Zothos
17-07-2012, 19:51
Wasn't Horus's armor white in the novels?

I think so but am not quite sure.

Fizzy
17-07-2012, 20:28
I found a picture where it was a bit whiteish before the heresy but then it got black/dark grey close to heresy.

prowla
17-07-2012, 21:27
I found a picture where it was a bit whiteish before the heresy but then it got black/dark grey close to heresy.

Yes. Horus recieved the black terminator armour after becoming the Warmaster, as a gift from the Mechanicum IIRC.

The Eye used to be Horus' personal symbol as the "Eye of the Emperor", but he also carried the Luna Wolves symbols and colors. Luna Wolves were named Sons of Horus after the promotion to Warmaster, which is when they changed the armour to pale green and started using the "Eye of Horus" symbol. Horus started to wear the black armour with his personal eye symbols around this time. But anyways, yes, there was a brief time when Sons of Horus were a loyal legion.

Draconis
18-07-2012, 05:47
Luna Wolves first, then promotion and they became the Sons of Horus. After he died, and they lost the body, Abbadon changed them to the black legion as a punishment

Charistoph
18-07-2012, 06:13
I can't remember off hand, but did he choose to switch his Legion's name after facing the Nurgle Daemon Prince, or before. I seem to remember him relenting after receiving Sanguinius advice, but still can't remember the timing.

Fizzy
18-07-2012, 14:36
Thank you prowla that was a very precise answer and just what I needed :)

Thank you all for the answers.
I have started to assemble Horus the last 12 hours. Not knowing how to place him yet.

Cheers!

Zombiecrackers
19-07-2012, 23:28
Luna Wolves which had a very pale green, almost white paint scheme.

I thought it was a very pale blue/gray colour scheme

Lord Zarkov
19-07-2012, 23:59
Luna Wolves which had a very pale green, almost white paint scheme. They were not sons of Horus until after the Heresy.

scratch that, you are right, after Warmaster promotion

Sons of Horus were the the pale green colour scheme with the sort of Egyptian style eye as the symbol.

Luna Wolves were white with black trim with the wolf head over upward facing crescent moon symbol.

Incidentally the book "Horus Rising" had Sons of Horus on the cover despite them being Luna Wolves until the last chapter, and "False Gods" has Luna Wolves on the cover despite them being Sons of Horus throughout the entire book. Go Figure.

Chief L. Rome
20-07-2012, 00:05
The one thing you might find really challenging isn't the paint. Its the armor! Where can you find legit 30k power armor?

Leftenant Gashrog
20-07-2012, 00:39
Luna Wolves are described in Horus Rising was wearing pearlescent white armour - in hindsight thats what they were depicted as in the IA article as well but the artist didn't quite nail it (tho he did on some parts like the arms) resulting in many people taking it to be light grey.

Sons of Horus were depicted as a pale green in the IA article, False Gods describes them as wearing Sea Green armour - if you do a google image search for Sea Green you'll get a lot of colours - some green similar to those in the IA and some blue-grey - the guy who did the cover art intended for False Gods went with a blue-grey instead of a green.. as if that didn't make things confusing enough BL then decided to stick the cover art for False Gods on Horus Rising instead and vice versa.. and of course most of the CCG artists went with a dark grey instead..

The one thing you might find really challenging isn't the paint. Its the armor! Where can you find legit 30k power armor?

Other than the Forge World MkII-VI sets?

Draconis
20-07-2012, 02:06
Here. Lol took 5 seconds with google :)

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Legion

in fact, that article is waaaaaay more in depth that I first thought. I might just read this all now.

Fizzy
23-07-2012, 06:56
Ordered the armors already. MKII and MKIII.

Sadly the heresy armour was produced during the heresy. So cool but does not fit the army if I am to play them as loyalists.

AndrewGPaul
23-07-2012, 10:19
Mark 4 armour would also be appropriate. I would have thought the Sons of Horus would be at the front of the queue for the brand-new armour, given their pre-eminence.

Eppe
23-07-2012, 11:13
I thought he didn't rename them to the Sons of Horus until after he got stabbed? It thought it was too prideful to name them after himself. I remember he discussed at length with someone why he didn't want to. Renaming the Legion was kind of the first step down the Heresy IIRC.

AndrewGPaul
23-07-2012, 11:30
According to Lexicanum, they were renamed after Horus' promotion to Warmaster at the end of the Ullanor campaign. The Emperor made the suggestion at that time, but the Legion was only renamed some time later. Certainly it was before Horus was wounded on Davin.

Lord Zarkov
23-07-2012, 14:18
In the current fluff Horus changed their name after the Interex incident which was one of his first few campaigns after Ullanor. The Emperor had initially suggested the change when he promoted Horus to Warmaster, but Horus was initially hesitant to do so.