PDA

View Full Version : Daemons and CSM or CSM and Daemons?

Merellin
18-07-2012, 14:37
So i'm considering a all Tzeentch army thats Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Daemons allied but I cant deside if I should go for Daemons with allied CSM or CSM with allied Daemons.. All I know is that it is going to be all Tzeentch, Plenty of Tzeentch daemons with Thousand sons and Tzeentch marines.

Clarkson
18-07-2012, 16:12
thing is, if you are going for mono-tzeentch... why not wait till the new chaos codex and just get the daemons stuff for now?

see if you like playing daemons.. if not.. change to CSM

Charistoph
18-07-2012, 16:29
thing is, if you are going for mono-tzeentch... why not wait till the new chaos codex and just get the daemons stuff for now?

see if you like playing daemons.. if not.. change to CSM

Wise Words.

And/Or get a Daemon Prince, 2 Chaos Marine Squads, Herald of Tzeentch, and 2 boxes of Horrors. Now you're set up, either way, and you're good to go with whatever the next codex provides.

Johnnya10
18-07-2012, 16:29
If I were doing it, I'd go for Tzeentchian daemons with Thousand Son allies. Lots of Horrors and Flamers led by a LoC with some DPs, and then a squad of Rubrics, a sorcerer (or another DP) and possibly one of the FW Thousand Sons Dread (bad unit at the mo but awesome sculpt). That's coming from a fluffy pov (Thousand Sons using a large Daemon host as a distraction while a small unit sneaks in to reclaim a relic of some sort) and also because Daemon DPs look pretty nasty. Purely my opinion though. As Clarkson said, you might want to wait for the new CSM codex to come out before making the choice.

Thanatos_elNyx
18-07-2012, 16:34
Based on the current CSM book I would suggest Daemons with CSM allies, as there isn't much in the CSM book you want other than HQ and Troops.
But like Clarkson says, I would wait for the new book before you make any final commitments.

Draconis
18-07-2012, 16:59
Oooooooooooooooooooor get both and just change it up from time to time whenever you feel like it. Done and done. All you're spending extra is a codex.

Dr.Clock
18-07-2012, 17:08
Yeah... to start with, just start building an HQ and two troops for each force. Don't add more than one unit in each FOC slot per codex until you come across a combination or two that you want to stick with.

My gut says CSM with Daemon allies... something tells me the new CSM codex is going to be great, and I'd personally want to make use of the new cultists... this would put you at at least 3 troop units from C:CSM, and potentially 4.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Vlad Urkana
18-07-2012, 17:34
Decimator Engines, lots of them. With Dual Butcher Cannons and Dual Storm Lasers. They work for both CSM and CD so you win either way. Supplement them with fun stuff from CD like Fateweaver, Horrors and Flamers, then get either a DP or Sorceror and a squad or two of rubrics from CSM.

djhowitzer
18-07-2012, 17:41
i would take chaos demons with chaos marines as support. this way you get to take fateweaver and the blue scribes and a chariot rider, with as many horrors (never forgetting the changeling), flamers and screamers as you like.
then you take ahriman, a unit of terminators and a unit of thousand sons in a land raider. job done

this way, the rock-hard gun line part of your army is in place at the start of the game then a whole array of frightening gibber gets to deep strike all over the place.

also, i would never leave home without the landing pad. chaosed up, natch

Vlad Urkana
18-07-2012, 18:09
I can't remember what it was exactly, but I thought Ahriman took a major nerf in the 6th transition. There was some talk about it in the CSM tactica.

Charistoph
18-07-2012, 18:42
Just as a side note, I wouldn't get more than one squad of Rubric/Thousand Sons, there is a rumor that they will be Elites in the next codex, and you may not like the route to make them Troops.

Merellin
18-07-2012, 18:51
I'l probably wait arround for the next CSM codex and then buy it and the CD codex and then we will see what hapens. Thanks for all the replies^^

Chem-Dog
19-07-2012, 03:54
Marines with Daemon Allies, without a doubt. Not only does it hark back to the days before the two were split but it also helps ameliorate the Daemons' single biggest problem, their deployment rules. Sure you'll still only get half of them showing up on turn one, but those Marine held Icons will be worth their weight in souls for dropping your neverborn where you want them to be.

Do it the other way round (a couple of CSM units with a lot of Daemons showing up sometime during the battle) and you really do risk getting your CSM's annihilated whilst waiting for their gribbly support to show up, because it'll be a handful of CSM's Vs an entire army.

Nothing to stop you swapping it to mix it up a bit, but I think a core of Marines with some Daemon backup is much more flexible and much less luck based.

Ulrig
19-07-2012, 04:25
I already had Renegade Guard, which merged into Death Guard, which merged into Chaos Daemons. My main chaos force will be Death guard with Nurgle Daemons. Nurgle all the way. I had all this going before the 6th edition rules, this just made everything so sweet and official.

Desalbert
19-07-2012, 04:55
Marines with Daemon Allies, without a doubt. Not only does it hark back to the days before the two were split but it also helps ameliorate the Daemons' single biggest problem, their deployment rules. Sure you'll still only get half of them showing up on turn one, but those Marine held Icons will be worth their weight in souls for dropping your neverborn where you want them to be.

Do it the other way round (a couple of CSM units with a lot of Daemons showing up sometime during the battle) and you really do risk getting your CSM's annihilated whilst waiting for their gribbly support to show up, because it'll be a handful of CSM's Vs an entire army.

Nothing to stop you swapping it to mix it up a bit, but I think a core of Marines with some Daemon backup is much more flexible and much less luck based.

Oh but that deployment is one of the coolest things in the game-- The will of the gods is the sheer beauty of it, the randomness is just as it should be. To eliminate this is to eliminate or lessen the strength of the Gods, and this cannot be! I say more Daemons the better!

(In all seriousness though, c'mon, that deployment-- waiting on the will of the Gods-- that makes for fun games! :) )

Tzeentch Loyalist
19-07-2012, 07:23

Unfortunately you cannot use marine icons to drop in daemon allies. The rules for icons specifically state that they can only be used for terminators, obliterators, and lesser daemons.

Cheeslord
19-07-2012, 09:11
I am hoping that in the new CSM codex they will explicitly be able to help Daemons deepstrike in, and maybe support them in other ways (since rumour has it that they will not have daemons in their own codex at all...)

Mark.

Kevlar
19-07-2012, 13:53
I'd do CSM with an allied daemon detachment. CSM troops and terminators are really strong. AP3 bolters on the rubrics along with the 4+ invulnerable are very nice. The terminators are just super sweet in 6th edition. Then you can bring in allied fateweaver for the rerolls.

The other way around would be neat with the flying circus approach, but your troops wouldn't be nearly as effective as rubrics and terminators.