PDA

View Full Version : Pre Heresy Nightlords Army Log

19-07-2012, 04:49
So in anticipation for the new CSM book coming out this summer, I put in a big order of Forgeworld last spring because I've always wanted to do a Pre-Heresy Nightlords army. I did it winter themed because they are from a cold dark world and I imagine it snows a lot. Because the army is pre-heresy it lacks a bit of flavour I find. So far I have built and painted:

1 MKIII Armour Sternguard Squad with 8 Combimeltas
3 MKIV Armour Tactical Squads with Melta/Flamer
2 MKII Assault Marine Squads with Plasma/Flamer
1 MKIII Devastator Squad with ML's
1 Contemptor Dreadnaught
1 Emperors Champion Model ( As a Captain)
1 Land Raider
2 Predator Dakka style.

The idea of the army is that they have already switched to chaos but it's before Istvaan. So they don't adorn themselves too Spiky. I gave all the vet models actual night lords shoulder pads. I have painted skulls onto the faceplates of the helms and thats it. Not sure what else to do to be honest. I like the army but it seems to lack a bit of flair. I'm kinda holding myself back I think for the codex, to see what kind rules if any Nightlords actually get. But because it's not too Chao-y (yet) and it's quite Imperial I've been using the current CSM and SM Books. And thats how I intend on doing it in the 6th edition books.

19-07-2012, 04:54
Here are some pics. You can see the snow on the tanks and the bases of the models. Wasn't too sure about snow on the power armour itself though?

19-07-2012, 04:58
I'm currently waiting to spray my Rhinos and I have 5 FW Tartaros Terminators also waiting to be sprayed.

19-07-2012, 05:03
I'm currently waiting on a FW/ebay order to come in next week which consists of Sevrin Loth who will act as my Librarian/Sorceror. I'll put a NL shoulder pad on him and do whatever filing I have to do. I also have another 5 terminators coming in which I'll put assault weapons on and the other 5 terminators have storm/combi bolters, chain fists and heavy flamer. I tried to go with options I know are in both CSM and SM books.

My Captain is going to be the new FW SM captain that comes with the company banner guy, I've also ordered the Apothecary set and I'll use the current GW Finecast Emperors Champ as my company champ for my command squad.

19-07-2012, 05:06
I had a nice fellow in Britain commission me a couple of fliers because of 6th edition. My painting skill isn't the greatest I'll admit and I usually commission one or two models to act as the centre pieces of my army. Here are my Sky Eagle and Sky Talon.

19-07-2012, 05:11
Once the CSM book comes out then I'll know what to add in regards to Chaos stuff. But at this point I have a command squad, chosen squad, terminator squad, 3 CSM squads, 2 Raptors squads, Havocs, 3 Rhinos, 2 Preds, 1 Landraider. And I have a full 3000pts daemon army with the new allies, even though NL aren't know for the daemonic. Not sure what I should do after that. Maybe some possessed models or new raptors when they come out. I dunno, I guess I'll have to await the new codex.

For a blast from the past here are my Old Nightlords in action during an Apocalypse game. I sold these off to a fellow in Poland I think.

MrNovember
19-07-2012, 17:01
Very nice army and very nice theme - pre-heresy done well can look really distinctive on the battlefield, and it's a fair investment in time AND money! Liking the look of the NL, depends on your lighting I assume, but they do look kinda light, I prefer a darker (purple-hued) look, but each to there own :)

Liking the fliers too - nice commissions. Who did them (if you don't mind me asking?)

Also, don't be too downhearted at any disparity between views/comments - you've a nice army but folk don't seem to post much encouragement to new logs for some reason! Looking forward to seeing more work of yours.

19-07-2012, 22:32
The guy who painted the flyers is Tom Markham.

07-08-2012, 05:59
Just finished the 10 Terminators, Chaplain, Captain and parts of command squad will upload pics tomorrow

Cobra.Commander
07-08-2012, 06:38
lookin' good. Always need more nightlord players...