PDA

View Full Version : Pick One Thing...

Bubble Ghost
19-07-2012, 14:07
...that is your favourite thing in the 6th edition rulebook. Could be a rule if you like, but anything. Any little detail you noticed and liked. The smaller and more seemingly trifling, the better.:)

Mine is the timeline event "the Great Exodus" on page 172. It's the Imperium... evacuating civilians?!?? Since when do they care about that?

This little box kind of sums up the subtle change in the impression I got from the background material in the book. The 6th ed book feels more sort of... human for little things like this. It's only little things like wording, but it seems to create the impression that someone in the Imperium actually, you know, gives a ****. And notably gone is the statement that everything is all definitely going to be destroyed some time next Tuesday. Instead, they leave you with a note of hope. It just feels throughout like there's more reason for all the fighting, and so more motivation to join in with it. I'm a bit more enthused than I expected to be.

Obviously it's still 40K. They couldn't resist specifying in that box that more industry was rescued than people.:D But I just feel like they've pitched it better. If I was new to 40K, I feel like this book's background sections might catch my interest, and I don't think 5th's would have.

I love the Great Exodus.

NO SUBVERSION OF THE TOPIC ALLOWED. Check your negativity at the door, or start a mirror thread for the bad stuff. I'm sure I'll have something to contribute...

Leeman Russ
19-07-2012, 14:09
My favourite bit? Only the models that move actually count as moving now. It'll hardly ever come up (it's rare when I don't move a whole unit), but they finally got rid of the old ruling, which never made any sense to me!

Latro_
19-07-2012, 14:17
wound allocation and look out sir, just for the rage and misunderstanding it has caused on the internets

Major_Manny
19-07-2012, 14:21
being a good doorstop

The bearded one
19-07-2012, 14:22
NO SUBVERSION OF THE TOPIC ALLOWED. Check your negativity at the door, or start a mirror thread for the bad stuff. I'm sure I'll have something to contribute...

being a good doorstop

The history of Alpha Shalish, in the background section. Really a great page to read.

Bubble Ghost
19-07-2012, 14:23
being a good doorstop

Bless you, internet! Third reply down, and already someone's deliberately ignored the instructions for the sake of hurling some negativity!

I should have started a sweepstake.:p

Major_Manny
19-07-2012, 14:25
sorry...wasn't being negative. I do generally think it makes a great doorstop, GW should be proud

Blinder
19-07-2012, 14:27
Rules-wise, the above... EDIT: Meant the 1st reply, "counts as moving is now per-model."

Fluff/Book-wise... It feels like there actually isn't as much background as I expected page-wise, but it feels like you get a much more rich description of the setting than in the 3e or 4e books (never actually got the 'big' 5e book, so I can't comment on that front). It actually makes me wonder if they should package that section as a codex-style offering in addition to having in the "big book," and release it shortly after the boxes- I think they might get more people who buy the box to also buy that than to also buy the full book. (so, my "one thing" would be the way in which the backstory is presented. The general "these are your choices and here's why you like them" stuff is there, but this time the vignettes surrounding that don't just hyperbolize the stereotypes... as Bubble Ghost mentions there are hints of more complex motivations that have generally been lacking in the rulebook/codex descriptions IMO)

Major_Manny
19-07-2012, 14:30
Oh, and I did try to leave my "negativity" at the door, but there was already a great damned book there....

Pawn of Decay
19-07-2012, 14:34
My favourite thing with the new rules so far is the ally system. This is not so much from a competitive gaming situation but more of the fact that I can legitimately play armies I always wanted to field.

Alpha Legion for example. A Chaos Space Marine army sure, but one that uses a lot of cultists etc. I can actually field this by using Imperial Guard with a small Chaos marine alliance of some Alpha Legionairs.

Konovalev
19-07-2012, 15:16
The new psychic powers and that terminators got tougher.

Max_Killfactor
19-07-2012, 15:52
I haven't played a game of 6th yet, but I think I'm going to like Hull Points. I like how you can get more consistent results from shooting armor and it makes it less... dicey.

Damien 1427
19-07-2012, 15:52
Probably mentions of The Beast. Nice to see orks get to be the big bad for a change, beyond Ghazghkull.

Oh, and Squats getting a very brief nod.

blackcherry
19-07-2012, 16:04
The sense of fun that seems to have been injected into the rulebook. It looks like there has been a concerted effort to make the game a little more crazy, which I like.

Those two page foldout pictures as well. Just lovely art and it really made me gasp when I first saw them. It shows the 40K universe can have beauty in it, even amongst the horrors of war, which I don't think many other pieces of GW art have every really captured.

Hawthorne
19-07-2012, 16:07
Allies, definitely.

loveless
19-07-2012, 16:07
The art in general - especially the lovely picture of the Haemonculus Coven in the Dark Eldar section. The whole book is full of excellent pictures - they really help make to make the book feel worth the investment.

Narf
19-07-2012, 16:12
Having only read to page 61, i like the changes to force and power weapons.

Some people are whinging, but i like this it gives more lfexability within units, and more style and reason for certain models, and opens up the ability for alot of conversions that wouldbnt have been needed before.

i'm sure there will be other bits and bobs as i read further

PANZERBUNNY
19-07-2012, 16:27
My favourite bit? Only the models that move actually count as moving now. It'll hardly ever come up (it's rare when I don't move a whole unit), but they finally got rid of the old ruling, which never made any sense to me!

Can you leave people behind now and still have them function out of coherency? (Firing etc.) Obviously I would imagine they have to move towards their unit if they move.

Scribe of Khorne
19-07-2012, 16:53
Wound Allocation, from Shooting 'Wound Pools', to Closest First, to LOS!, its all painfully straightforward. :]

badguyshaveallthefun
19-07-2012, 16:53
Can you leave people behind now and still have them function out of coherency? (Firing etc.) Obviously I would imagine they have to move towards their unit if they move.

No, units still have to remain within coherency.

I'm a big fan of the artwork and the overall "feel" to the book, not to mention all the love that Dark Angels got!

Blinder
19-07-2012, 16:55

No, you still have to maintain coherency as always. You can just leave a "thread" if you want though, letting you move most of the squad up a little without having to move the HW guys.

Rated_lexxx
19-07-2012, 16:56
Getting rid no retreat wounds. I have no idea why it was implemented in the first place

Carlosophy
19-07-2012, 17:13
Cards. Whilst we had too many cards in 2E, what with Psychic, Wargear, Vehicle Upgrades, Datafax, Strategy and Mission Cards all needing a home it is rather good to have the psychic deck back.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
19-07-2012, 17:14
I'm not bring particularly original here but the lack of no retreat is great. When my chaos lord with fearless and his squad lost combat in a game last Sunday the look of horror on my mates face when he learned no retreat was gone was priceless.

Also advancing my Chaos Marine squad with missile launcher near the front so that he didn't move was great too. I got to fire in the next turn.

I love these rules.

Grocklock
19-07-2012, 17:30
snap fire for ther win such a simple rule that allows so much great things to happen

radical ed
19-07-2012, 18:29
I love the bit of art work that depicts the Emperor talking to the great crusade. I love how shiny and glorius everthing looks. Not grim, not dark, but shining and triumphiant!

I also love the apendix at the back. Lots of little snippets and nuggets in there. Grey Ogryns (a nod to the grey hulk?) Squats and imperial beastmen get a mention too. Lovely stuff

IJW
19-07-2012, 18:34
Not really a single thing, but the general feel that there are lots more tactical choices to make during a game.

Want to get your Orks into combat without taking Overwatch hits? Send in the Grots first.

Want to use your Jump Packs in the movement phase to get good positioning for firing or use them in the assault phase for bonus attacks?

Go to ground and Snap Fire or take the hits and get full BS?

Plus having it matter where models are placed...

Dr.Clock
19-07-2012, 20:37
Lots of really great things in there... many of which have already been mentioned.

Favourite Major Change: I'm just gonna go with random assaults. In pretty much any game, you're almost guaranteed to have both a moment where you fail an important charge and a moment where a unit surprises you and changes the board dynamic.

Favourite somewhat minor change: Grenades!

Favourite thing that seems to be happening in general as a result of a whole slew of new rules: units of infantry remain viable threats for longer. About a month ago, a single surviving raptor would have been effectively a write-off. Last night, he flew over and nonchalantly smashed the turret off my predator with a krak grenade while 3 survivors of a CSM squad took care of one of my razors in CC. When you apply a certain amount of force, units do tend to go down faster, but it doesn't take a heck of a lot of guys to get something accomplished.

Favourite thing that makes the game crazy cinematic: wound allocation and LOS. The turn before the incident with the Raptor in the paragraph above, his unit came under aggressive fire from an Assault-cannon Razorback, 2 men from a combat squad with MM and an auto-las Pred. Due to the way their previous combat had shuffled out, the Champion with Lightning claws was the closest model to all three units. I rolled hot with all three units, putting 5 unsaved wounds on the unit. In every case, the Champion LOS'd them off, until the very last shot, when the las sponson finally caught him. I and my opponent had a great chuckle imagining the Champion ducking and dodging through the rubble he was occupying, using his fellows as little more than a meat-shield until finally catching a lascannon in the face. EPIC.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

brightblade
19-07-2012, 20:56
Favourite overall; the game now plays the way I remember it did way back when I first started! (RT) Even though then it never played as well as it does now, I just remember it did!

Specifically, jump infantry using their jump packs once per turn! You can imagine the launch into assault or the deft evasion of a threat! Love it.

Love it!

Seriously. Love it! :D