PDA

View Full Version : Models vs kits

de Selby
19-07-2012, 17:16
A bit of an odd one, but I've been thinking about how GW/citadel has switched over the years from casting models to casting kits. Back in the day they used to sell large numbers of individual metal figures that came in a single piece (plus a lot that were single piece plus shield), but now I can only think of one single-piece model: the beastlord with great weapon. All the goblins in BFSP were single-piece but that has been discontinued. Plastics are generally many pieces but even the metals/resins come in several. Do all other GW models now require some assembly? Is the beastlord the last of his savage kind?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440013a&prodId=prod580016a&rootCatGameStyle=

Inquisitor Engel
19-07-2012, 18:27
The Warp Spiders are still one solid chunk of PITA-to-paint metal. (For now)

Other than that, you may be right. Almost everything else I can think of has at least two parts.

Scammel
19-07-2012, 18:34
There's probably still a couple of dozen (old/collector's stuff, maybe a bunch of LotR), but I'm glad that's the case.

simonr1978
19-07-2012, 20:04
Most of the metal Necromunda miniatures apart from the Heavies were single piece castings, I believe many of them are still in production.

ctsteel
19-07-2012, 21:35
Death cult assassins, imperial assassins (some of them), some of the inquisitorial acolytes, daemonhosts are all one piece models. I think one or two of the commissars, plus a couple of inquisitors also.

Radium
19-07-2012, 21:59
Most warlocks, Eldrad and Fuegan are single-piece models too.

blackcherry
19-07-2012, 23:10
Its a small percentage of their range (much smaller now with the switch to finecast) but the models are out there. The beastman shamen is still a one piece model.

Inquisitor Engel
20-07-2012, 00:10
Most warlocks, Eldrad and Fuegan are single-piece models too.

I thought Fuegan's axe was separate?

eldargal
20-07-2012, 07:26
The new Dark Eldar Lhamaean is single piece.

Radium
20-07-2012, 10:42
I thought Fuegan's axe was separate?

On second thought, you might actually be right. It's been ages since I last saw my Fuegan model.

Sildani
20-07-2012, 13:45
All the Phoenix Lords are in at least two pieces - body + backpack/banner pole/wings etc. The Warlocks are all one piece, except for the one holding a witchblade two-handed in front of his body. Warp Spiders are one piece excepting the Exarch, who has three parts.

de Selby
20-07-2012, 13:45
I knew there must be more. I even own some of these models but I'd forgotten them.

The lhamaean is new! Proudly upholding the traditions of the single-piece miniature, albeit in finecast.

I do feel there is something special about crafting a good looking model out of a single chunk of material, subject to the limitations of the moulding process. I think the beastlord stood out to me beause it's such an ingenious pose.

Skopey
20-07-2012, 15:16
what about the lothern seaguard and swordmasters from island of blood? Barring the Standard and musician they are single minis. Though with the SM you have to get the box set. But you can pick up 5 seaguard for a tenner on the GW website. Last time i checked at least.

Lord Inquisitor
20-07-2012, 16:18
There are quite a few in finecast. Just look to the Warhammer new releases, we have Squigs and Herders and for something a little more recent, the TK Queen Khalida is a single piece too. Over on 40K, this month they're re-releasing the Tau etherial and a number of grots models. They're also re-releasing assassins (callidus, one of the vindicares, death cultists), crusaders and the ever-popular dark eldar slaves all in one component.

So just looking at the new releases there's still plenty of one-piece new models out there. Many are re-releases of old models like squigs and officio assassins. As for newer models, I think perhaps the Lahmian was the last. Empire were released and though they have a 1-piece BSB, several 1-piece captains I don't know if any of these were new releases with the last book.

de Selby
20-07-2012, 17:49
It's turning into quite a list:

Beastlord with great weapon
Beastman shaman
Swordmasters (from IoB set; but seaguard are 2 part)
Empire BSB
Several Empire captains
Several Squigs
Several squig herders
TK Queen Khalida

Warp spider troopers
Several warlocks
Eldrad
2 callidus assassins
1 vindicare assassin
2 death cult assassins
Several inquisitorial acolytes and crusaders
2 daemonhosts
One or two of the commissars
A couple of inquisitors
DE Lhamaean
DE slaves
Several FC grots
Tau ethereal

Many Necromunda gangers

Unspecified LOTR models

Rather a lot really.

Follow up question: which is the best sculpt, considering the constraints of being single piece?

The bearded one
21-07-2012, 01:52
A very significant portion of the lotr range, or at least the boxes with plastic rank&file warriors, are single-piece. At most with the lotr plastic range you generally have to pop a shield on a button, or (very rarely) put in an arm.

reddevil18
21-07-2012, 16:05
Nothing in the WoC range that i can think of, Dark elf witch elves are 1 bit tho

Luigi
23-07-2012, 09:06
...cough cough Hammerers and ironbreakers cough cough...

The Clairvoyant
23-07-2012, 09:36
New vlad is single-piece. Well it is in finecast. In metal there was an additional ghost piece to attach to the cloak which is not part of the finecast version

Sai-Lauren
23-07-2012, 09:44
2 callidus assassins

The original one without the loincloth is two part - she's split at the waist. The other is single piece though.

A couple more to add to the list though: Most of the metal guard figures are single piece, and still in production (down in the Collectors section), and the Battle Sisters with Bolters, Flamers, Melta guns and Storm Bolters are all single piece (Cannoness, Seraphim, Heavy Weapons and Repentia are multi-part.

AndrewGPaul
23-07-2012, 13:07
Well, apart from the backpacks. :) disregarding those means there's quite a lot of Marine models that would count, too.

de Selby
23-07-2012, 15:01
Wow, so it's slightly embarrassing how many single piece models there are given that when I started I could only think of one.

A very significant portion of the lotr range, or at least the boxes with plastic rank&file warriors, are single-piece. At most with the lotr plastic range you generally have to pop a shield on a button, or (very rarely) put in an arm.

Interesting. I really don't know the LOTR range at all. I wonder if the same will be true of The Hobbit models when they are released.

Nothing in the WoC range that i can think of, Dark elf witch eles are 1 bit tho

Adding witch elves!

...cough cough Hammerers and ironbreakers cough cough...

Hammerers is a good one, but ironbreakers and longbeards have seperate shields don't they? I'm not counting them.

New vlad is single-piece. Well it is in finecast. In metal there was an additional ghost piece to attach to the cloak which is not part of the finecast version

How odd. I'm putting him on the list.

The original one without the loincloth is two part - she's split at the waist. The other is single piece though.

A couple more to add to the list though: Most of the metal guard figures are single piece, and still in production (down in the Collectors section), and the Battle Sisters with Bolters, Flamers, Melta guns and Storm Bolters are all single piece (Cannoness, Seraphim, Heavy Weapons and Repentia are multi-part.

Well, apart from the backpacks. :) disregarding those means there's quite a lot of Marine models that would count, too.

Thanks, that makes one callidus assassin but I'm not counting sisters with seperate backpacks.

I think Space Marines are the kings of multi-part. They all have backpacks at the least, they have that hugely succesful, versatile and iconic multipart tactical kit, and they even have a multipart plastic captain with loads of options.

Revised list:

SINGLE PIECE MODELS FOR THE SINGLE PIECE MODEL GOD! SLOTTABASES FOR HIS SLOTTABASE THRONE!

Beastlord with great weapon
Beastman shaman
Swordmasters (from IoB set; but seaguard are 2 part)
Empire BSB
Several Empire captains
Several Squigs
Several squig herders
TK Queen Khalida
Several Dwarf Hammerers
Several Witch Elves
Finecast Vlad

Warp spider troopers
Several warlocks
Eldrad
1 callidus assassin!
1 vindicare assassin
2 death cult assassins
Several inquisitorial acolytes and crusaders
2 daemonhosts
One or two of the commissars
A couple of inquisitors
DE Lhamaean
DE slaves
Several FC grots
Tau ethereal

Many Necromunda gangers

Unspecified LOTR models

WHICH SINGLE PIECE IS BEST SINGLE PIECE?

Sildani
23-07-2012, 17:46
My vote is to the Dark Eldar Lhamean. A nice pose and amazing detail, not to mention GW's second-best looking female mini.

Sai-Lauren
24-07-2012, 11:20
D'oh! :D

Anyway, both Vindicare's are two-part as well.

For single-piece, there's also the Preachers.

Harwammer
24-07-2012, 12:17
De Selby the shields for dwarf metals are pretty optional. Even hammerers come with the option (or they did when they were new).