PDA

View Full Version : A Ravenwing army viable in 6th?

Archaon
19-07-2012, 21:34
So i'm considering getting back after dropping out way back in 3rd edition and the Ravenwing has caught my eye.

I love mobile and hard hitting armies (i don't know if Ravenwing are considered "hard hitting" ;)) and the Ravenwing have the bonus of being resilient too which is usally quite the opposite with fast, mobile armies. I have bought the 6th edition rules and so far they look good but i am out of the game so long to not be able to properly judge them and how they change the power of an all SM bike army.

Their battleforce is awesome and preliminary calculations have shown that i can put up a 1500-1750 points army for quite cheap (up to 250 Euro.. that's quite cheap for a GW army as far as i'm concerned).

Now my question is.. do you consider the Ravenwing a fun army to play and be able to pull off a win occasionally? I don't expect them to be a top ranking army in the tournament scene and i know the Dark Angels will receive a new codex soon so there's bound to be changes and maybe a power increase but still i was wondering if i should strike now and invest before the battleforce gets pulled and replaced with something that's not such a good deal.

lestat82d
19-07-2012, 21:38
Battleforce is probably the best value one out there, but id consider using codex space marines rather than Dark Angels

AngelofSorrow
19-07-2012, 21:44
With all the buffs that bikes got I believe a ravenwing army would put up quite a challenge to other armies. However the DA may be getting an up date soon so hold about 2 months to see what happens.

Ready for eternal war!

Nurgling Chieftain
19-07-2012, 22:09
Bikes got some nice boosts in the new edition: jink saves and hammer of wrath. Not all that game-changing, in most cases. Honestly, I think pure Ravenwing is still a bit on the uncomfortably weak side, but throw in a few Deathwing units (or "Doublewing" as they call it) and you've got something reasonable. And it's quite fluffy for a hunt-the-fallen force, IMO: there's a reason those bikes carry teleport homers, and that reason is so they can bring in the deathwing when things hit the fan!

Archaon
19-07-2012, 23:17
I was planning on including a Deathwing close combat unit in the army since the rest is mainly a shooting force.

The only thing i'm wondering is when to buy the models since i fear the Battleforce will be changed and not be as good a deal as it is now. I don't think the bike models will get much of a change and i still have a few months to save up and make up my mind.

Charistoph
19-07-2012, 23:31
I doubt the Ravewing Battleforce will change much, if at all. At worst, it becomes "illegal" so they stop selling it, that's all. Remember, it's only 1 FOC choice worth of equipment (expandable in certain ways, but still), and so you will need more, but you can't get that amount of gear for that price if bought separately.

Clang
20-07-2012, 22:27
It's possible the current Ravenwing Battleforce won't be a legal standalone army under the new codex, but frankly it's not a great standalone army under the current codex either - most people just buy it as a reasonably priced source of bikes and DA upgrade sprues, but then add/remove/convert models to suit the army list they actually want.

So I'd certainly still consider buying it (so long as you're happy to gamble that you wan't hate the unknown new codex rules), especially if you can get it cheap.

LonelyPath
20-07-2012, 23:43
I doubt the Ravewing Battleforce will change much, if at all. At worst, it becomes "illegal" so they stop selling it, that's all. Remember, it's only 1 FOC choice worth of equipment (expandable in certain ways, but still), and so you will need more, but you can't get that amount of gear for that price if bought separately.

Well it can be 1 HQ and 2 small troops choices, but I'd rather assemble each BF as a single choice at a time.

It isa very good box to buy, but sadly there is that risk RW may become illegal as a stand alone force and, as other have pointed out, not so good on their own. However, when I mix in my DW they are pretty darn good n the table.

Clang
21-07-2012, 05:46
I'd be amazed if a new DA codex makes it impossible to play a pure RW force. But the units that make up a RW force may well change, especially if GW have Shiny New Plastic Models to sell :).

Lothlanathorian
21-07-2012, 06:00
I don't see them losing the ability to play either Wing armies. Especially since they are one of the two launch armies.

Charistoph
21-07-2012, 17:42
At most, the biggest change to Ravenwing I can see is the loss of the Land Speeder as part of the "squad". Of course that is one more defining things of Dark Angels, so I am not confident in that step being taken.

Dangersaurus
21-07-2012, 23:58
Does the Ravenwing set still come with the old Landspeeder, or have they finally replaced it?

blameless
22-07-2012, 00:21
No the box still comes with the speeder. no change there.

I think double wing got a lot better this edition :D great fluffy army to play and neat model options.

You could proxy it with a space marine ally captain on bike with some bike troops. You loose the homers but gain an awesome 2+ armor captain with a storm shield! boom!

bobafett012
22-07-2012, 00:56
I'm sure the ravenwing will get a new toy in their new codex, I'd also be surprised if they didn't get the skilled rider special ability among other things. So at least if you do start a ravenwing army your likely to see it get better in the near future.

Freman Bloodglaive
22-07-2012, 01:43
The biggest problem Ravenwing have at the moment is that they're overpriced. For a pure bike army, Space Marines allow you to put more models on the table, and model count will help you win games (not that it's helped me so far ;))

The best use of Ravenwing is in a dualwing, where Ravenwing provide the mobility and Deathwing the hard hitting melee and ranged. Usually that is led by Belial, to make the terminators troops. If you take Sammael instead then it's better to take Space Marine bikers with terminator elites. If you take Sammael and Belial, then you probably have more HQs than you need. :)

That said, I'm thinking that 6+attack bike may be the new preferred size for bike squads. Still working on it. 4+1 is fragile, 5+1 is still fragile, 6+1 may still be fragile.

TheDungen
22-07-2012, 08:08
then again having both termies and bikes as core makes them scoring units right?

Archaon
22-07-2012, 11:34
Does the Ravenwing set still come with the old Landspeeder, or have they finally replaced it?

Quick question.. did i miss a model change with Landspeeders? I know that there are other variants out there for Scouts and one completely armored one but has the model itself been updated at some point?

LonelyPath
22-07-2012, 14:55
Quick question.. did i miss a model change with Landspeeders? I know that there are other variants out there for Scouts and one completely armored one but has the model itself been updated at some point?

The one you buy on its own was updated a few years ago, I believe it now comes with every weapon opton available in Codex: Space Marines. Sadly we still havethe old LS kit in the RW BF, but that set does come wit hthe RW update frams that contain parts for the Typhoon and Tornado.

Chem-Dog
22-07-2012, 16:09
So i'm considering getting back after dropping out way back in 3rd edition and the Ravenwing has caught my eye.

If it's what you like the look of, do it and worry about the rest afterwards. :D

That said, Bikes generally did quite well out of the new edition and all/majority bike armies should be a pretty solid force to run.
Having to take Sammael might be a pain, so using the Space Marines list to take a relatively cheap (in points and cash) Captain on a Bike (which unlocks Bike Squads as troops for Space Marines) is definitely a route you could take until the Dark Angels get a new Codex.

Dreadnought05
22-07-2012, 17:41

In addition to the weapon options, they changed the hull from one single piece to three pieces (top part and two sides) which go together much easier and don't leave an unsightly gap.