PDA

View Full Version : Killy Lord List; 2000p. Warriors of Chaos - feedback please!

IainL
20-07-2012, 02:56
Lords - 395
Chaos Lord (395)
Juggernaut of Khorne; Mark of Khorne; Berserker Sword; Helm of Many Eyes; Dawnstone; Soporific Musk.

Heroes - 385
Exalted Hero (210)
shield; Sword of Swift Slaying; The Other Tricker's Shard; Dragonhelm; Stream of Corruption; Battle Standard Bearer.

Exalted Hero (175)
shield; Mark of Tzeentch; Book of Secrets; Dispel Scroll.

Core - 663
17 Chaos Warriors (337)
Champion; Musician; Standard Bearer; halberd; Banner of Rage.

39 Chaos Marauders (266)
Musician; Standard Bearer; shield; light armour; Mark of Tzeentch.

5 Chaos Warhounds (30)

5 Chaos Warhounds (30)

Special - 555
6 Chaos Knights (315)
Musician; Standard Bearer; Mark of Khorne; Standard of Disipline.

Chaos Chariot (120)

Chaos Chariot (120)

1,998 points

Lord will ride with the knights, in the middle so that he will ideally maximize frontage for his sword's attacks.
Marauders will go 5x8 to tarpit.
Book hero will take shadow.

I would love feedback on the list, thanks guys!

Gorstag
22-07-2012, 00:34
I like the Lord on Juggernaut!, Are you going to use the hounds to screen your units?

IainL
22-07-2012, 00:45
Thanks, im really quite excited to try him out actually.. never used a lord before, I usually go bsb and level 4 sorc.. But a chaos Lord seems like too much fun to pass up! I may yet still swap out his berserker sword for a rending sword, then ditch the dawn stone for 4+ ward. Either way I'm stoked to play him.

As for the puppies, I usually put them on flanks to redirect stuff when I don't want to deal with it. I never leave home without 2 packs of 5.

Gorstag
22-07-2012, 01:07
I never use to run the hounds but now i run 3 packs of 5. I always use Lords and never have run a Lvl 4 Sorcerer.

IainL
22-07-2012, 03:05
Yeah, I used to run the Lv4, but I think a lord will be a lot more fun.

Kayosiv
22-07-2012, 08:06
Well you're going to have to swap out the berserker sword because it can only be given to a model on foot.

I think you're spending too many points on heroes. A general rule of thumb I use is don't spend more than 1/3 of your army on characters. Just because you can spend 50% of your army on characters doesn't mean you should. Each of those exalted champions for example is 10 chaos warriors. That's 4 attacks vs 20 (or even 10 in the second rank) attacks. The way you've got your heroes kitted out they are only strength 5, the same as your halberd warriors. Other than hitting super elite units and heroes on 3's, the exalted heroes don't do much that regular chaos warriors don't do already.

Your warriors don't have a mark, so you might as well just mark them Khorne and give them a banner that's actually useful defensively or offensively. You could add the points from the BsB to make the unit larger.

The other guy just sort of seems to be a wizard lite that can fight, which is a neat concept, but again I'm not sure if he's worth 4 chaos warriors and a level 2 wizard in points.

It's not to say that these heroes aren't useful. BsB's are super useful, and so is a magic phase, but you've already spent almost 400 points on your chaos lord. That's an entire other unit of chaos warriors in that one model. It's not like he's a bad investment, he can cleave an entire army in half by himself, but he can only be in 1 place at once and because his unit is frenzied it will make him harder to get into combats that are meaningful until it's too late. My point is that because you've already spent so many points on your chaos lord, you can't afford to get 2 more heroes. You really should limit it down to just 1, or even 0. Your army just isn't big enough. You have essentially 1 unit besides your lord unit that is dangerous and some chariots for support. If your opponent has some chumps that can redirect your knight unit, this is what's going to happen against a competent opponent. Your chaos warriors and chariot/s are going to charge into something, totally own it, be forced to over-run because they are frenzied. You will then be flanked by everything and lose horribly.

For the most part Warriors of Chaos fighty characters have to do 1 of 2 things to be taken instead of normal warriors. They have have to be super high strength in order to fight enemy heroes or monsters, or they have to be unkillable to deny the enemy combat resolution to let your other guys shine. Otherwise, you might as well have just gotten more knights or more warriors. Your lord for example, he's got 8 strength 5 attacks, which is awesome. However if you bought 2 units of knights with his points, they'd have 20 strength 5 attacks, 30 if you frenzied them for slightly more. I don't think any of your characters are doing things that more knights or another unit of warriors couldn't do, think about that as you build them.

Here's what I'd do. Lose the lord. Take his exact build sans the berserker sword (you can't legally take it anyway) and turn him into a exalted hero. Then, since you're not using a shield anyway because your armor save is already maxed at a 1+, get yourself a halberd. You immediately save 106 points.
Then, pick either the BsB or the wizard guy, and use him only. Honestly, you could also combine then and just use the wizard guy as the BsB considering he's not toting a magic standard anyway. So far you've now saved 300 points. You could do a lot of things with those points. You could increase your unit of chaos warriors or even make a 2nd one, get a hellcannon/warshrine/shaggoth/giant, or even a second knight unit and mount your other character.

Also, definitely take a champion in your knight unit. The last thing you want is for your super uber guy on a Juggernaut stuck in combat with a chump unit champion for a round instead of wrecking as much havoc as possible.

Gorstag
22-07-2012, 12:02
Wow that is great advice Kayosiv

MyNameDidntFit
22-07-2012, 13:15
If you're looking for a fun Lord build, I usually run:

Chaos Lord of Tzeentch
Chaos Steed
Shield
Daemonsword
Helm of Many Eyes
Stream of Corruption

He's a massive point-sink, even more so when I run him in his unit of 6 Knights (5+Champ for 1st turn LoS) with a pair of Slaaneshi Horsemen (5) units to screen him and peel off just before the attack. But I've yet to have a game where he hasn't been awesome fun for both sides (the tension the 6++ provides against 1s to hit is great) and/or made his points back heroically.

Competitively, not really all that sound, but it's pure unadulterated fun.

IainL
22-07-2012, 17:26
Kayosiv, first of all thanks, this is a lot of stuff to consider. I totally spaced on the berserker sword being on foot only. I don't know if I'll lose the lord, but I still may. I probably will adjust the heros though. A lot of these ideas are awesome man, thanks. I'll revise it and repost in a bit.

IainL
22-07-2012, 19:31
Here is what I have came up with, after some tweaks and alterations. Dropped the lord for an exalted version. Combined my pseudo wizard and bsb to one and mounted him so that he can utilize his bubble better. Added some unit champions where I thought I needed them. Expanded the warriors another rank. Added a couple more units of dogs, frankly I just did this because I didn't know where else to put the points, 4 units seems like a lot of chaff. Added a warshrine for more support. I think it could still be better, I just don't know how.

Juggernaught List 2000p. (Alt) (Warriors_of_Chaos)
Heroes - 469
Exalted Hero (249)
Juggernaut of Khorne; halberd; Mark of Khorne; Helm of Many Eyes; Dawnstone; Soporific Musk.

Exalted Hero (220)
Disc of Tzeentch; shield; Mark of Tzeentch; Battle Standard; Book of Secrets; Dispel Scroll.

Core - 841
24 Chaos Warriors (449)
Champion; Musician; Standard Bearer; halberd; Banner of Rage.

40 Chaos Marauders (272)

5 Chaos Warhounds (30)

5 Chaos Warhounds (30)

5 Chaos Warhounds (30)

5 Chaos Warhounds (30)

Special - 560
6 Chaos Knights (320)
Champion; Musician; Standard Bearer; Mark of Khorne.

Chaos Chariot (120)

Chaos Chariot (120)

Rare - 130
Chaos Warshrine (130)

2,000 points

byrothegyro
22-07-2012, 21:48
One suggestion on your new list, for chaff instead of dogs take units of 10 marauders with flails and mark them slannesh. They aren't as mobile as a unit of dogs but they hit hard and won't panic. Dogs big weakness is that one round of shooting and they are either dead or fleeing and then fail to do their job of redirecting anything. The unit of marauders will likely have 5-7 guys left after a round of shooting and can never panic so even if you only have 1 guy left he can still re direct things. If you dont lose very many of them then they can do a few wounds before they die softening the unit for your warriors, knights, and chariots to mop up. I've tried using them in a few games now and they have worked 100x better than dogs.

IainL
22-07-2012, 22:34
I would, because I've always wanted to try the horsemen.. but a unit of 10 comes to around 140 points, and that's more than all 20 of my dogs put together!

Kayosiv
23-07-2012, 00:58
He's not talking about horsemen, just regular marauders with flails, which cost the same amount of points as dogs. They're slower, but MUCH deadlier in combat.

I would also suggest losing dogs, but my suggestion would be to lose 1 or 2 units and give the warriors mark of khorne and a different banner, and to give the knights a magical banner as well. There's loads of good banners in the warriors of chaos book, and from the main book the +1 leadership banner is nice and so is the re-roll first failed leadership test banner, which is useful for your knights considering that your general is going to be stupid.

IainL
23-07-2012, 02:19
Ohhhh, I see now, that's actually not a bad idea at all. I've never though about using marauders as redirectors. I just may try that out!

Also yeah, usually I put banner of rage on the warriors just in case they lose a combat but I think they'll be okay with 24 of Em.
So I could probably put a banner of swiftness on them to ensure they can charge, then Disipline on the knights to make the generals bubble 9.

IainL
23-07-2012, 02:40
Final (hopefully lol) revision. Took out the 3 units of dogs and replaced it with a unit of 10 marauders w flails and mos. hopefully them and the other unit of dogs will be mobile enough for redirecting.

Put banner of swiftness on warriors and Disipline on knights!

Juggernaught List 2000p. (Alt) (Warriors_of_Chaos)
Heroes - 469
Exalted Hero (249)
Juggernaut of Khorne; halberd; Mark of Khorne; Helm of Many Eyes; Dawnstone; Soporific Musk.

Exalted Hero (220)
Disc of Tzeentch; shield; Mark of Tzeentch; Battle Standard; Book of Secrets; Dispel Scroll.

Core - 826
24 Chaos Warriors (459)
Champion; Musician; Standard Bearer; halberd; Mark of Khorne; Banner of Swiftness.

40 Chaos Marauders (272)

5 Chaos Warhounds (35)
Scaly Skin (6+).

10 Chaos Marauders (60)
flail; Mark of Slaanesh.

Special - 575
6 Chaos Knights (335)
Champion; Musician; Standard Bearer; Mark of Khorne; Standard of Disipline.

Chaos Chariot (120)

Chaos Chariot (120)

Rare - 130
Chaos Warshrine (130)

2,000 points

Kayosiv
23-07-2012, 08:09
Test it out and let us know how it goes.