PDA

View Full Version : Viable melee centric armies

AnthonyLR13
21-07-2012, 05:35
What armies if any can be viable melee armies? and i mean not the strongest around but can hold their own on the tabletop before a glorious defeat. :)

snake-eyez
21-07-2012, 06:01
Maybe Chaos Daemons?

The deepstrike mishap table slightly improved from the one in 5th ed, and reserves come in sooner. I don't have them though, I'm just speculating.

Orks might still be able to put up a viable melee army, although shooty orks seems like a strong option now with snapfire and the dakka jets

Kevlar
21-07-2012, 08:00
Chaos Space Marines can still put out a decent assault force. Lots of solid troops, strong HQs with demon princes, lash puts you in position to snipe enemy HQs or special weapons, cheap terminators, decent non-vehicle heavy support in obliterator, basically terminators with lascannons, plasma cannons, and some other stuff. Tons of stuff can deepstrike, and only a couple of armies can outmatch them in close combat.

A.T.
21-07-2012, 09:14
You can have a bit of fun with horde of GK henchmen & dreadknights - they walk all over terminator spam but are going to get shot to pieces a fair bit.

Xerkics
21-07-2012, 14:46
Blood Angels still pretty good and death company more reliable

trigger
21-07-2012, 14:56
Since no one else has said

Nids ,full on in your face CC army now stupid fast again :)

Or

Space wolves 90% of the codex can hold it's own in cc

Baaltor
21-07-2012, 21:17
What armies if any can be viable melee armies? and i mean not the strongest around but can hold their own on the tabletop before a glorious defeat. :)

It depends what you mean by this. Melee centric as in its main tactic and strength comes from melee? Or Melee centric as in only melee?

Chem-Dog
21-07-2012, 21:35
A pure Khorne Berserker army still makes a pretty horrendous mess of most things, with your choice of Kharne/Bloodfeeder Lord(s)/DP(s) up front.

Potentially a lot nastier now if you ally pure Khorne Daemons in there. You get access to Bloodthirster (though you shouldn't automatically discount including Skulltaker). Access to a unit of Bloodcrushers who are pretty hardcore, 'Letters are still pretty handy though they took a hit. Hounds give you something that can close the gap between your force and the enemy gun-lines that much quicker (giving your slower units time to get within chopping range without getting blasted) and you also get access to the Daemon 'dex's Daemon Prince, who is better than the CSM version.

Ulrig
21-07-2012, 21:42
I play orks and I would with the new sniping rules, Nids own CC.

Kevlar
21-07-2012, 22:29
A pure Khorne Berserker army still makes a pretty horrendous mess of most things, with your choice of Kharne/Bloodfeeder Lord(s)/DP(s) up front.

Potentially a lot nastier now if you ally pure Khorne Daemons in there. You get access to Bloodthirster (though you shouldn't automatically discount including Skulltaker). Access to a unit of Bloodcrushers who are pretty hardcore, 'Letters are still pretty handy though they took a hit. Hounds give you something that can close the gap between your force and the enemy gun-lines that much quicker (giving your slower units time to get within chopping range without getting blasted) and you also get access to the Daemon 'dex's Daemon Prince, who is better than the CSM version.

Berzerker lists are much, much stronger run with lash princes. Unfluffy as hell, but pulling a unit 4d6 inches closer to your choppy dudes so you can murder it sure is effective.

matt_17
21-07-2012, 23:00
I've found that flying Daemons of Chaos get into close combat very fast, and very hard to kill on there way to close combat and kick ass when they get there. Fateweaver, a bloodthirster and two flying princes fit quite well into a 1750 list with plenty of space for a decent sized troops compliment and even an elite unit of your choice. Very close combatty and very hard for many armies to deal with.

bobafett012
22-07-2012, 00:00
Blood angels. Assault marines with furious charge, feel no pain, plus the new buffs like hammer of wrath, and rerolls for charge range when using jp's. Of yeah, does the name Mephiston, or the sanguinor ring a bell? Absolute beasts in cc...

Toadius80
22-07-2012, 00:16
But also can't hide in units etc. Not such an issue for ol' mephiston but sanguinor gets hit pretty bad by the lack off IC status being low toughness etc.
What with snap shot and all the other shooting buffs BA haven't come out as many think, running combat squaded ass marines is near suicidal and they have lost there old winner, +1I on the charge, trust me that's a huge thing these days.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

bobafett012
22-07-2012, 01:07
They are just fine, and will continue to be. They have a very well written codex with a very large variety of army lists possible. The only hit they took was the initiate boost from fc, and tbh, if you know how to play BA, you can certainly circumvent that in most cases, plus if you utilize the extra attacks well from hammer of wrath it makes it that much less of a Nerf.

Johnnyb
22-07-2012, 01:15
orks, battlewagons, klaws, deff dredds, nuff said

murgel2006
22-07-2012, 11:01
Bloodclaws. 15 Bloodclaws with a wolfguard leader. 60+ attacks on the charge is really nice. And their numbers and save give quite some staying power.
Add an IC and you even have 2 Characters in this etc. etc. etc.

Chem-Dog
22-07-2012, 15:38
Berzerker lists are much, much stronger run with lash princes. Unfluffy as hell, but pulling a unit 4d6 inches closer to your choppy dudes so you can murder it sure is effective.

And not as much of a surefire success as it has been in the past, DtW can leave you hanging when you really need to get the lash to work. If you're going that route (IE blatantly ignoring the fluff :p), you might get more mileage out of a Sorcerer with one or two of the new powers joining a Berserker squad, Pyromancy, Telepathy and Telekinesis all have powers in there which would help the squad survive or make them that much more potent when they get in.

Sekhmet
22-07-2012, 16:00
Necrons can field several very nasty melee lists, from 18 wraith and 2 destroyer lords to teleporting cc deathstars to 14 monstrous creatures. They can even take hordes of cheap melee units in flayed ones and scarabs.

Glen_Savet
22-07-2012, 16:05
Black tide Templar armies can do very well. No sergeant a to get the power weapon/fist challenged out, 20 man crusader squads to eat casualties and trigger free consolidations across the field. And hey, 2 vows in 2k lists means you can get str 9 tank hunting thunder hammer terminators.

fullmetal78
22-07-2012, 16:09
Played with my nids last week. Poison was really nasty...especially on the trygon. Biomancy was fun too