PDA

View Full Version : bug buildings

bugsfromessex
22-07-2012, 09:59
Has any1 given much thought to bug fortifications, if so what could we use maybe the spore chimney

Using brain leech devours as they use heavy boulders on imp buildings?

Have some sort of poision cloud coming out of the towers with in a certain radius that cause a glancing hit on vechiles on a roll of a 4/5+ or all non bug models take an i or str test or make them take a dageirous terrain test?

Have the shrouded special rule for bugs with in a certain radius?

Have a high str spore mine or a meiotic spore as an anti flyer been thrown out of the middle on a roll of 2d6 pluss scatter dice but the spore mines/meiotic spore stay in play if they dont explode?

dangerboyjim
22-07-2012, 10:05
I hope they start adding race specific buildings and terrain to the codexes, this post has made me laugh because I'm picturing Tyranids using the fortress of redemption, little gaunts manning the laser protector or whatever the big gun is called. Tee Hee!

But yeah, 'fortificaiton' spores makes the most sense, although I am having trouble with nids digging in and defending something. I always pictured them as 'eat everything or die trying'

Lord Damocles
22-07-2012, 10:09
Spore Chimneys
Mieotic Spore Clusters
Brood Hives
Hive Nodes
Spore Cysts
Digestion Pools

AndrewGPaul
22-07-2012, 11:46
With a bit of imagination, Tyranid "fortifications" are perfectly in character. Consider the digestion pools and the towers to the orbiting hive fleets. If a counterattack by the defenders targets those, then I don't see why the Tyranids wouldn't go on the deensive locally, including growing defensive fixed structures, or even armouring and arming the digestion structures themselves.

Alternatively, in the aftermath of a failed invasion - such as on Iyanden, Macragge or Ichar IV, remnants of the invasion force may well hole up in a defendable location for as long as possible. This may include modifying existing buildings or attempting to grow their own (have a look at art from various editions of Space Hulk - that will show plenty of examples of Tyranid biological structures growing over the existing interiors of starships).

-Loki-
22-07-2012, 12:23
With a bit of imagination, Tyranid "fortifications" are perfectly in character. Consider the digestion pools and the towers to the orbiting hive fleets. If a counterattack by the defenders targets those, then I don't see why the Tyranids wouldn't go on the deensive locally, including growing defensive fixed structures, or even armouring and arming the digestion structures themselves.

This is specifically why Hive Guard and Pyrovores were created.

Alternatively, in the aftermath of a failed invasion - such as on Iyanden, Macragge or Ichar IV, remnants of the invasion force may well hole up in a defendable location for as long as possible. This may include modifying existing buildings or attempting to grow their own (have a look at art from various editions of Space Hulk - that will show plenty of examples of Tyranid biological structures growing over the existing interiors of starships).

Well no, they mostly skulk in darkness and ambush rather than set up easily identifiable and destroyable defensive positions.

I do like the idea of Tyranid structures, and also think that it's quite obvious we'll get one or two with a new codex (since there's not much left to do in plastic outside of dual 'vore, 'guard and 'thrope kits and the mycetic spore). But they won't really fit if they're just 'alien aegis line' and 'alien bastion'. Plastic models for things like the spore chimney and hive node would be great. Basically, buildings but done in a Tyranid way.

Spore Chimneys are there to spew out spores which pollute the air to make into a giant hothouse and make flora and fauna explosively reproduce. Giving them something like the Venomthropes cover save shroud, and also have negative effects on enemies in the shroud, would be neat. Digestion pools that give out bonuses when enemies are killed in the vicinity, or even some of the old hotile Tyranid terrain they did in white dwarf like magma vents and barbed thermotropic vines.

There's a lot of room to get creative with Tyranid terrain - and since they've been actively trying to discourage Tyranid players from using the rulebook Imperial terrain, it gives the impression they have some good ideas for what do do with it.

MasterDecoy
22-07-2012, 13:33
im just making my own tyranid bastion, modeled like a termite mound (deathspitters for the heavy bolters, biovore cannon for the flakk gun)

Frankly
22-07-2012, 15:19
I actually think this is one of the coolest things about this edition bth. Theres so many puture of hive structures(:english?)into the nidz codexes picture in the back ground, so many nidz stratch builds to do. awesome!

AndrewGPaul
23-07-2012, 14:25
This is specifically why Hive Guard and Pyrovores were created.

Well no, they mostly skulk in darkness and ambush rather than set up easily identifiable and destroyable defensive positions.

I do like the idea of Tyranid structures, and also think that it's quite obvious we'll get one or two with a new codex (since there's not much left to do in plastic outside of dual 'vore, 'guard and 'thrope kits and the mycetic spore). But they won't really fit if they're just 'alien aegis line' and 'alien bastion'. Plastic models for things like the spore chimney and hive node would be great. Basically, buildings but done in a Tyranid way.

True, but a "spore chimney with birthing sacs" fits the Bastion rules quite easily. You can make a new model without necessarily changing the rules (other than swapping the heavy bolters for deathspitters or whatever). Likewise, a "Harpy nest" would make a good Tyranid landing pad.

Any ppossible Tyranid terrain or fortification kits will prbably have accompanying rules in White Dwarf, but in the meantime, there's no need to let a lack of rules prevent you from making your own models.

boogle
23-07-2012, 14:49
I think it would be cool if you could either spawn Rippers, or have a 'Ripper Attack' rule with one of the Nid Terrain sets

battybattybats
24-07-2012, 04:20
Pretty sure there was also a mention in an old white dwarf of large size Tyranid hives like giant brood nests.

solo21
24-07-2012, 12:25
The PC game Dawn of War 2 had plenty of Tyranid structures that you could model from...

-Loki-
24-07-2012, 12:34
True, but a "spore chimney with birthing sacs" fits the Bastion rules quite easily. You can make a new model without necessarily changing the rules (other than swapping the heavy bolters for deathspitters or whatever). Likewise, a "Harpy nest" would make a good Tyranid landing pad.

Any ppossible Tyranid terrain or fortification kits will prbably have accompanying rules in White Dwarf, but in the meantime, there's no need to let a lack of rules prevent you from making your own models.

Oh, I've got nothing against converting your own stuff to work as currently available fortifications. I've been planning a Tyranid aegis line myself.

I just meant I'd be really disappointed if officially released Tyranid terrain was simply along those lines. There's a lot of room for the designers to get creative with Tyranid terrain.

Baaltor
24-07-2012, 17:23
Everyone here has some good ideas, but I'd add:

-Infested imperial buildings, with flesh and organic parts reinforcing them
-Genestealer cult captured imperial buildings

Both of those are fluffy ways to use imperial terrain.

battybattybats
25-07-2012, 15:01
Everyone here has some good ideas, but I'd add:

-Infested imperial buildings, with flesh and organic parts reinforcing them
-Genestealer cult captured imperial buildings

Both of those are fluffy ways to use imperial terrain.

Forgeworld could do some great infested add on pieces and stealer cult pieces.
It'd be nice to get some adeptus mechanicus parts too to make more ornate bastions and defence lines appropriate for a major forgeworld rather than the more spartan stuff.

MasterDecoy
29-01-2013, 05:55
Sorry for reviving this thread, but it was preferable to making my own one, now past the plesentrys

I am nearing completion of my tyranid scratch built bastion and would like to run these house rules past anyone to see if they think its fair

Tyranid bastion: 175PTS
Compisition: One inner chamber and the battlements on top
Capacity: Medium
Ws2 Bs2 S6 T9 W6 I1 A(Special) LD10 SV N/A

Weapons:
4x Twin linked stinger salvos
2x Twin linked Impailer cannon (sky fire)

Special Rules:
Immobile
Fearless
Ripper Tenticle nest (Gains 1 attack for each enemy engaged model)
Instinctual (the emplaced weapons cannot be manned by anyone and always fire at the closest enemy unit (the impailer cannons will prioritize at the closest flyer in range before shooting ground units, enemy units cannot embark inside the bastion because the walls will constrict and kill them)

Lothlanathorian
29-01-2013, 06:20
Rules Development threads are this way (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?17-GW-Rules-Development-Forum).

The short range of the Impaler Cannon makes me not think of it as AA, but, it may be more balanced than throwing a TL Venom Cannon on there, which is what pops into my head when I think of Tyranid style AA.

MasterDecoy
29-01-2013, 06:28
thanks for the link, the only problem with the venom cannon is it cannot actually shoot at flyers (even with the skyfire rule) as it is a blast, the other option is a rupture cannon, but I imagine thats more like an icarus lascannon than a quadgun

Lothlanathorian
29-01-2013, 11:08
Derp. I was thinking the previous version, I think, that was Heavy 2 or something like that.