PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous Arcanum - what's your favourite monster?

ewar
22-07-2012, 19:28
I was given the Monstrous Arcanum book as a birthday gift recently and firstly I have to say what a completely gorgeous book it is. I've owned plenty of minis from FW before, but never one of their books, and it has completely bowled me over. For only a 7 premium to the army books (which I thought were very nice before) this thing makes them look completely amateurish.

Anyway, that aside, I've been reading the various binding scrolls and really like the look of some of the monsters. As a LM player I can't wait for the Dread Saurian to come out - (a) because the mini should be incredible and (b) because it looks hilariously OP to use in games of SoM. An ambushing Ethereal monster killer? Sounds like my cup of tea.

As for most disappointing - I think the Colossal Squig looks like a complete waste of time. Am I missing something or is this thing twice as expensive as a mangler but half as good? Shame, as the model is fantastic.

So - what are your experiences with the monsters from the arcanum book? Any hidden gems, underrated gribblies or some complete waste of points? Any models you're particularly looking forward to?

Urgat
22-07-2012, 22:03
I share your view on the squig, but I have to say I'm totally looking forward to the Dread Saurian never coming out :p (that thing is just aweful, I wonder if it's not worse than the K'dai destroyer :p). Regarding the disapointing ones, I was looking forward to the dreadmaw, but it's really pants like the squig. The Rogue idols (especially the "great" version), albeit very expensive, seem to be able to do their job (10 wounds!). It's pretty much a greenskin greater demon. I'm probably going to get one of these at some point, for now I have trouble finding another monster that would fit (thematically) with my common gobs.

colonel kane trine
22-07-2012, 22:15
I cant wait to get the basilisk i love i

m1acca1551
23-07-2012, 01:53
I want them all.... mine... my own...

ewar
23-07-2012, 06:56
I share your view on the squig, but I have to say I'm totally looking forward to the Dread Saurian never coming out :p (that thing is just aweful, I wonder if it's not worse than the K'dai destroyer :p). Regarding the disapointing ones, I was looking forward to the dreadmaw, but it's really pants like the squig. The Rogue idols (especially the "great" version), albeit very expensive, seem to be able to do their job (10 wounds!). It's pretty much a greenskin greater demon. I'm probably going to get one of these at some point, for now I have trouble finding another monster that would fit (thematically) with my common gobs.

Haha, the dread saurian will definitely rival the destroyer for most OP per point I think. The base creature is strong but the upgrades are insane. Making him immune to all but dwarfen/skaven war machines is completely ridiculous.

As for more stuff in keeping with greenskins - I think a lot would fit with some creative modelling, a warpfire dragon could be used as a Great Wyvern perhaps? A suitably painted merwyrm would also fit in too I reckon.

Skywave
23-07-2012, 08:01
One of my friend ordered the book, so can't wait to take look at it and see all the cool stuff that will hopefully come later. But I'm particularily looking foward to the big TK beetle monster, I really hope they do that model. And it looked quite good too, so at least it should be a good buy :)

Bingo the Fun Monkey
23-07-2012, 09:53
I *really* like that Rogue Orc Idol! I had been hoping the 8th ed OnG book would have something like this, but the Arachnarok is fine, I guess. Nevertheless, my Warhammer Forge purchase list grows ever bigger!

Boreas_NL
23-07-2012, 10:06
I must agree the book is just plain awesome! However, as an Empire player I have some issues with allying the monsters to my Stirlanders. I like most of them, but I can't see them alongside my forces. My favorite is the Idol of Gork (or possibly Mork), especially the biggest version. Sadly, there is now way I can justify such a monster in my Empire army... I have thought about creating an Empire version, an Idol of Sigmar of sorts, now that would be cool!

Chaos Undecided
23-07-2012, 10:10
I'm waiting with interest to see what they do with the Mourngul model, lets face it forgeworld rarely make a bad one (casting issues aside) but cant help but think this one has the potential to end up looking a tad silly.

Otherwise the Magma Dragon would be nice but I dont have the spare funds to buy one if they decide to go for an Emperor sized one.

Andy p
23-07-2012, 12:16
I must agree the book is just plain awesome! However, as an Empire player I have some issues with allying the monsters to my Stirlanders. I like most of them, but I can't see them alongside my forces. My favorite is the Idol of Gork (or possibly Mork), especially the biggest version. Sadly, there is now way I can justify such a monster in my Empire army... I have thought about creating an Empire version, an Idol of Sigmar of sorts, now that would be cool!

Hey why not? That sounds like a great idea!

I personally fancy the basilisk, I love it's sinister expression.

ewar
23-07-2012, 12:20
I'm also looking forward to the Khemric Titan for my tomb kings - the model should be incredible if it's anything like the artwork. My only worry is that it'll be complete rubbish in game. The random attacks mechanic can be frustrating at the best of times, but the designers have made the attacks you least want most likely when fighting other large targets.

Who wants the S2 scarab attacks when you're fighting an Emperor Carmine dragon for instance!?

On sheer power the Exalted Vermin Lord looks hard to beat. D6 wounds with ASF and Init 9 is extremely brutal and will take down even the 'Largest of Monsters' in one or two rounds.

Models wise, I'm interested to see what the Shard Dragon will come out like... I thought the Preyton was a bit disappointing, but I haven't seen it painted with a more effective colour scheme.

The Clairvoyant
23-07-2012, 12:29
The mourngul artwork is so incredibly creepy, i can't wait to see it in miniature.
The colossal squigs rules aren't that great, but then it is a cheap monster. However, I am considering picking one up to make a NG version of an aracknarok

GiraffeCrab
23-07-2012, 12:39
I got myself a carmine dragon a while ago for my tomb kings, still have to use it in game yet though. I'm really looking forward to the shard dragon and the khemri titan (just because it will be fun seeing it stomp on everything man sized).

SimaoSegunda
23-07-2012, 13:55
I don't know if this counts, but I really like the Fimir Warriors. I plan to take some in my armies, especially if people will let me houserule them in as a rare choice in my existing army. Lovely models, albeit a little tricky to assemble, and pretty well costed, both in terms of Points and Pounds. (In cash terms, they're about standard for 3 MI models from GW, but with Forgeworld quality).

Other than that, I quite like the Toad Dragon, although I'd prefer it if you could get the kit without that Chaos dude riding it. 350pts for a nigh-unkillable beastie, but slightly balanced by the fact that it is rather less killy than some of the other monsters.

EDIT: Also, love the Warpfire Dragon model and rules, and the Bale Taurus just looks gosh-darned awesome.

Urgat
23-07-2012, 15:34
As for more stuff in keeping with greenskins - I think a lot would fit with some creative modelling, a warpfire dragon could be used as a Great Wyvern perhaps? A suitably painted merwyrm would also fit in too I reckon.
Nah, I want something that fits right in, I got too many unfinished conversion projects to add yet another one.

The mobile memorial thing from the 7th ed BRB would work fine with these rules I think.

Jind_Singh
23-07-2012, 20:25
Giant squig - epic fail! OR IS IT??!!

WS2 = Poo
Ini 1 = Poo
Random attacks - should have been D6+1 or have impact hits OR something!

Granted it's T6, W6 - which means a decent thunderstomp IF it lives to see the thunder stomp! It's random movement is the largest in the game - meaning it's the biggest 360 degree charging monster with 4D6 random movement!

- Great at protecting our army.
- It's CHEAP!!!

Essentially if it makes it to combat and lives the round it'll do 2D6 str 6 hits - not bad - and even in death it might do a bit more damage.

It's going to be a great expendable meat shield - and those are the best kinds of units for sneaky Goblin players!!!!

Urgat
23-07-2012, 21:09
Excepted I don't find it that cheap at all...

Bingo the Fun Monkey
23-07-2012, 21:14
I think that with the pricing of Warhammer Forge kits, "orcifying" models should probably be left to more mundane Storm of Magic choices. The Stegadon sans howdah needs some greenstuff on it. Bits from the savage orc sprue would orcify it up. Same applies to the carnosaur. The new empire griffon is big and stompy, traits that are needed for anything that can hope to be orcified (the "noble bearing" is in the eye of the beholder, and Griffons are savage monsters anyway). Manticores, Chimerae, Cygors, Tauri and Lammasu, making mountains or the badlands their homes, are perfect for an Orc army. I'm making some rogue idolettes that will use either the Fenbeast or Chaos spawn rules.

ewar
23-07-2012, 21:22
Giant squig - epic fail! OR IS IT??!!

WS2 = Poo
Ini 1 = Poo
Random attacks - should have been D6+1 or have impact hits OR something!

Granted it's T6, W6 - which means a decent thunderstomp IF it lives to see the thunder stomp! It's random movement is the largest in the game - meaning it's the biggest 360 degree charging monster with 4D6 random movement!

- Great at protecting our army.
- It's CHEAP!!!

Essentially if it makes it to combat and lives the round it'll do 2D6 str 6 hits - not bad - and even in death it might do a bit more damage.

It's going to be a great expendable meat shield - and those are the best kinds of units for sneaky Goblin players!!!!

Love the enthusiasm Jind but come on - two manglers are way more effective for considerably fewer points. I'm the first to acknowledge that in SoM games a player should take what they like for shuts and giggles, but this thing just is worse on so many levels that the same points worth of manglers.

They should have made it so that it did as many S6 hits as it rolled on its 4D6 move - now that would be genuinely colossal!

Anyone tried the Chaos Siege Giant? I was pondering making a LM themed version by adding Aztec armour to a regular giant.

Jericho
23-07-2012, 21:29
IIRC the monsters in Arcanum are intended to be used in either Storm of Magic or in games using the special rules in the book... which includes a number of items that either make you Ethereal or are designed to kill Ethereals. So Ethereal monsters are really not intended for general use!

Obviously don't have my copy at work to give specific examples... :p

Jind_Singh
24-07-2012, 03:00
Love the enthusiasm Jind but come on - two manglers are way more effective for considerably fewer points. I'm the first to acknowledge that in SoM games a player should take what they like for shuts and giggles, but this thing just is worse on so many levels that the same points worth of manglers.

They should have made it so that it did as many S6 hits as it rolled on its 4D6 move - now that would be genuinely colossal!

It's only five points more - and it's going to take something much harder hitting than strength 3 missile fire to kill it - which is heat taken away from other units - the sheet size of it will intimidate some players -while more crafty players will leave it alone thinking it to be useless - which will let it run in and starts a stomping!!

Don't get me wrong - I read the rules and puked - thought it was the most stupidest thing ever, way over priced - but in a more reflective state it's bang on the points for what it is - and if it had better rules, like colossal status, etc, it would need to cost more.

For T6, St 6, 6 wounds - you can't get it much cheaper, well perhaps 10pts more, but not a huge price. And cheap enough to fit into even smaller pointed games were it becomes more effective! So I'll for sure be purchasing one for the horde, along with the epic Idol - if worse comes to worse they will make nice center pieces for my display board!!

Jind_Singh
24-07-2012, 03:01
Besides - the best thing is going to be the base - two Mangler squigs and a host of little squigs - including Squig Hoppers minus the riders - surging forwards -with the Night Goblin from 'The Chase' running in the front!!!!!

GrandmasterWang
26-07-2012, 07:29
Hmm, I really like the fire elemental art so ill vote that. I have an elemental of beasts which is cool.

The 45 pt item which hkb against ethereal is to balance the saurian.

Khemri titan looks awesome

Skullking
26-07-2012, 07:55
Ooohh, my fav?

Well, I would have said the Kaddai destroyer at first, but the artwork in the book makes it look less bull like, and more beetle/dinosaur like. That being said, it or the bale Taurus are my favorite creatures. I am really impressed by the model for the cursed ettin, and basilisk. And the creatures I'd like to see the most are the necrofex colossus, and the dread saurian.

Skullking
26-07-2012, 07:56
Gah! double post..

Sah-whee!

Von Wibble
26-07-2012, 13:35
The Shard dragon from a model perspective is the one I am interested in.

ewar
26-07-2012, 14:52
Hmm, I really like the fire elemental art so ill vote that. I have an elemental of beasts which is cool.

The 45 pt item which hkb against ethereal is to balance the saurian.

Khemri titan looks awesome

I can't wait to see the model for the titan but I'm worried the rules are a bit 'meh' for it's points cost. Being able to S8 thunderstomp other monsters is cool but there is a danger you will roll some of its rubbish attacks at a crucial moment.

The Shard dragon from a model perspective is the one I am interested in.

Agreed - id like it to be quite spiky and low to the ground, something different to other dragons.

-Totenkopf-
27-07-2012, 23:45
Can't wait to run with the dread sauran and the necrofex collossus.. Sadly though, I'm going to continue using the rules for the chaos war mammoth for my khemric titan.. It fits better with the tk army

Athelassan
29-07-2012, 00:35
I like the preyton (or peryton if you prefer, which I do). I like the background, I like the concept, I like the artwork, I like the model well enough. I'm not that bothered about the rules, although they seem alright too. It seems pretty reasonably priced for what it does.

I like the Skin Wolves too; again, I don't know about their rules, but I don't really care either.