PDA

View Full Version : Right that's it! Painting time!

Pages : [1] 2

75hastings69
06-05-2006, 19:24
I have been doing less and less painting just recently and my wife almost blew a gasket when she found out i have over 1800 minis unpainted!!!

I bought myself a new display cabinet a month or two back and promptly emptied my drawers into it (not those kind of drawers!), however as there were so many undercoated and base metal minis it just looked ****. I have decided to take the unpainted stuff out, and only put stuff in when it is painted. I suppose the motivation for this project came from A/ my wife, B/ at some point having to tell my wife I want to buy the upcoming O&G army C/ Rolf (rkunisch) for saying my cabinet was nice, but basically that it would look better with some painted minis in it !!!!

I could have done a massive 900 mini project log, however, so no-one dies of boredom I have decided that I will start off by painting all my Ltd Edition stuff (over 80 minis) at a rate of at least one a day (except when I am offshore at work) and post pics on this thread so ...

A. You can chart my progress (hopefully with some nice comments) &
B. I can get my own **** into gear and be spurred on by you guys &
C. You guys can get to see some rare GW minis.

I am going to start right now, 1st mini on the paint station GWs "Rogue Demon" a painting competition prize from the 80's (kind of appropriate for the first mini).....

tzeentchgiant
06-05-2006, 19:27
Sounds like a gargantuan pile of things to do, good luck with it, I'll be watching :p.

Off topic, what do you work as, something on an oil rig?

TG

75hastings69
06-05-2006, 21:38
Ok, so I didn't quite finish (but then I suppose I haven't had a full day ;) ) but here are a few pics of the almost complete Rogue Demon (have to think about what colour to do the horns, if I remember correctly on the cover of the old miniature painting annuals his horns were black ?).

Will be back tomorrow, when I plan on finishing off the demon, and painting "Grombrindal - The White Dwarf" who was released last year as part of GWs anniversary (but I got him 4-5 years ago when I lived in Belgium - He came FREE on French WD 100 :) )

@ TG, yeah I am a manager on one!

See you tomorrow,

Steve

Hideous Loon
06-05-2006, 21:48
Why is he brandishing a paintbrush? Some kind of symbolic act? Looks real slick to me, I say.

Lord-Warlock
06-05-2006, 21:57
He's gonna paint the town Blood Red, and varnish it afterwards? :p Awesome touch, and I'll be keeping a close eye on this one...

- LoW

Inquisitor Konig
06-05-2006, 23:19
that is beautiful. *tear*

tzeentchgiant
07-05-2006, 00:02
Why is he brandishing a paintbrush? Some kind of symbolic act? Looks real slick to me, I say.It's an old RT demon, from the days when warhammer had a sense of humour.

I love it, and done in only a day? Wow, superb work, the blue is great, the colours are smooth and basically it's a great job (I can't really see what you have left to do on him).

Also, cool job :).

TG

Kodamas
07-05-2006, 00:17
This is going to be an amazing log if it keeps on going. Everyone knows that hastings is a collector of very rare models indeed. Can wait to see the progress.

Good luck in paint all your stuff. This will be a feast for our eyes.

Echos

75hastings69
07-05-2006, 10:03
Ok so here is the first finished mini GWs "Rogue Demon" hope you guys like it,

Now on to Grombrindal before I have to start cooking (In laws coming round for Sunday Dinner!!!).

Xxcha
07-05-2006, 11:17
An amazing paint job for only one day, keep up the good work i look forward to it.

ham2525
07-05-2006, 13:00
oooo very nice!

I especially like the loin cloth. You make it look so real. Although the paintbrush is somewhat odd.

Good Job!

Ham2525

75hastings69
07-05-2006, 15:26
Here are the fruits of today's labours - looks alot better in the flesh so to speak - I really wish I hadn't varnished it before I took the pics as it reflects the lights real bad.

Tomorrows mini will be Marco Columbo from last years Lustria campaign (although I have had mine since GD Spain a few years ago).

Steve

tzeentchgiant
07-05-2006, 15:29
Grombrindal looks great, as does the rogue demon (however I liked it better with the dark horns :p).

Great work, I look forward to tomorrow's edition.

TG

Brother_Captain_Eberus
07-05-2006, 16:43
I like the models, and there only painted in a day....wow

Unique1
07-05-2006, 16:45
That first mini you did is a ery very good sculpt, with a very good paintjob to match it.

tzeentchgiant
07-05-2006, 17:07
Unique, he didn't sculpt the first one (in case that's what you thought) it's just a very old demon, from thr rogue trader days.

TG

Unique1
07-05-2006, 17:15
Aye, I know he didn't sculpt the daemon, I was just saying how his paintjob compliments the minis great sculpting.

Kodamas
07-05-2006, 18:26
Great painting on those miniatures.

A couple of questions:

1. Did the paintbrush in the daemons hand come with the metal part already that shiney or did you do the painting?
2. When you gonna paint up that slann base?:p

Grombrindal looks very very nice. Your cabinet is going to look fantastic if you keep up this standard.

Echos

75hastings69
07-05-2006, 20:03
@ Kodamas, LOL!!! that Slann base has been sat on my paint station for MONTHS!!! I had the idea of making a "diorama style" base for it using skinks coming out of some water, nice idea and all was going well until....... I decided to use GWs new "water effects" (although I could think of several better names for it!!!! - one of my mates was part of the product testing team for the stuff and warned me that it was ***** before I even started!!).
In answer to your first question it is just metallic paint, Boltgun Metal basecoat (which you can still see in the recesses, highlighted with a few coats of watered down Mithril Silver.

Mortare
07-05-2006, 20:49
Have some more praise!! Very good paint jobs, and nice to see some of the old figures being worked on. Only thing i would say is that the edging of Grombrindals base looks a little plain, the old style goblin green doesnt complement the excellent job on the rest of the mini- maybe just leave the edge black

Satan
08-05-2006, 09:25
Great work Hastings, boy, I wish I could get my armies done and start painting some random collectors peices instead. First i've just gotta finish fleets for all the races in man o'war, some 1500 pts deathguard, some more Wood Elves and a carnival of chaos warband.

I want to see that limited ed. wood elf mini painted too - Pretty please? :D

Jedi152
08-05-2006, 09:33
Just noticed something - is that mini in the background of the first pic in post#9 not the converted marauder from WD a few months ago?

Good work, keep it up. So many ltd. minis, the bonus of knowing people at GW. sigh.

75hastings69
08-05-2006, 10:28
@ Jedi152, yes it is (my own one - not the actual one from the mag).

@ Satan, hello mate, no probs, I should be able to fit him in the next few days (as I plan on doing a Black Orc tomorrow).

Steve

75hastings69
08-05-2006, 11:51
Ok, so here is Marco Columbo (last years Lustria mini - although he was available some years before as a Gamesday model for Spain). Enjoy.

On another note I will be taking pics of the minis before they are varnished in future as I am not happy with the quality of pics after varnishing.

Tomorrows mini will be "Badruck 'Eadsplitter" the Gamesday 2000 Black Orc.

Jedi152
08-05-2006, 11:54
Lookin' good! I've always felt the inclination to use Marco as a DoW paymaster.

Are there any ltd. ed. minis you don't have? :p

rkunisch
08-05-2006, 12:01
Finally you do your display cabinet justice. :p

Good work so far. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

75hastings69
08-05-2006, 12:02
@ Jedi152, yes, the elusive "Racing Nob" and the Blood Bowl Lizardmen Cheerleader, and a few unreleased peices I have yet to lay my hands on.

tzeentchgiant
08-05-2006, 16:15
"Racing nob" :wtf:? :p

Good work on marco, but I'm very fond of more realistic approaches, I think bugman was slightly better in that respect, but still, very nice.

TG

rkunisch
08-05-2006, 16:21
"Racing nob" :wtf:? :p This one (http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle2000/GamesDay/gd199xFormulaWaaghh.htm).

Have fun,

Rolf.

||-MARKO-||
08-05-2006, 19:25
nnnnnooo! want more pictures! lo. you rock man.

illbuy you a paintbrush for christmas :D

75hastings69
08-05-2006, 19:44
..but I'm very fond of more realistic approaches, I think bugman was slightly better in that respect, but still, very nice.

TG

Not sure what you mean, I use pretty much the same techniques on all my minis. But I should like to hear why you believe that Grombrindal (not Bugman ;) ) is better, I believe that it is always possible to improve using other peoples advice (apart from one guy who was trying to sell off some Space Marines on EBay as "Pro Painted" when they in actual fact looked like someone had done a "technicolour yawn" all over them or been "Shouting at the Ants" near them ;) - I would probably not take advice off that guy!) the only thing I dont think will ever work for me is NMM (especially as I am colour blind!!!!!).

Hope you guys are enjoying the log so far, I have undercoated the next few days minis this afternoon (and yes Satan - the French WE hero is amongst them) so I will be back with another update tomorrow.

Steve

BTW if anyone has the "Racing Nob" or Blood Bowl Lizardmen Cheerleader you can just PM me :D

tzeentchgiant
08-05-2006, 22:29
Well I mean on Grombrindal (not Bugman :p), the colours seem quite soft, and the approch to highlighting a lot more subtle, on this the red line looks like a red line, it's not as well matched as on the dwarf, and the colours of the cloth, to me they seem a little vibrant for someone of that period (when we're talking about the empire having the same level of technology as the Germans).

Just an opinion though, I like Bugman (;)) better.

TG

75hastings69
09-05-2006, 06:56
Ok thanks TG I looked at the minis and see what you mean. I must say as for today's update I am not enjoying painting the mini at all, strange I used to love painting greenskins.

75hastings69
09-05-2006, 14:15
Ok, here is today's update "Badruck 'Eadsplitter" GD Black Orc. I have to say that I didn't really enjoy painting this mini. I fancy something a bit different for tomorrow's update so I will have a good look through tonight and pick out something suitable.

Oh yeah, just for a change I moved the finished stuff off my paint station on to one of my gaming tiles.

Cheers,

Steve

BlazeXI
09-05-2006, 15:16
Very nice work Hastings! Especially the Daemon. I guess that two new Giants (on shelf in background od a Daemon pic) will have to wait some 80 days before they get painted....

I need to take a similar aproach to painting this summer.

PS. Can't wait to see the Hammer:D . Could be 1/2 of a day, maybe with the invisible Frodo or Bilbo Baggins

McMullet
09-05-2006, 15:16
That looks good, the colours are done very subtly. The texturing comes across really well I think.

The 2nd and 3rd photos are waaaay out of focus though. :(

Kodamas
09-05-2006, 16:08
Another well painted miniature. Kepp it up. What to do next eh? With your collection I am sure you'll find something interesting to paint. Can't wait for another update.

tzeentchgiant
09-05-2006, 16:52
I suspect you didn't enjoy this mini very much because it doesn't encompass the sort of "orky fun" theme, the jovial side of orcs that we all know and love.

Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much :eyebrows:.

I love the mini, the highlights are subtle but well executed, the texture on the metals and horns is excellent, I think it's up there with bugman (;)).

TG

75hastings69
09-05-2006, 17:54
My apologies, those last 2 pics are crap!!!

Thanks for your kind words, tomorrow's project will be the Italian WD subscribers Mounted Sorceror of Chaos (as to why this never got released in UK is beyond me).

See you tomorrow,

Steve

ExquisiteEvil
10-05-2006, 15:40

Thanks for your kind words, tomorrow's project will be the Italian WD subscribers Mounted Sorceror of Chaos (as to why this never got released in UK is beyond me).

See you tomorrow,

Steve

So I tuned in to get my daily dose of Hastings' rare painted model and theres no instalment today!:eek:

I feel like I cannot start my day properly now...

75hastings69
11-05-2006, 11:31
Many, many apologies guys, I had catastrophic failure of camera batteries yesterday so couldn't post pics of the finished mini.

Here it is for you now though.

Today will see me taking a short break as I have tonnes of stuff to do around the house/garden as the weather is red hot, also I have to take my dog for a hair cut (which is always a lot more complicated than it sounds ;) )

I will take some time later to get a load more minis undercoated ready for tomorrow.

Hopefully today's pictures are better than the last ones, however I am a bit dissapointed that all the highlight work I did on the robes seems to have gone completely under the radar of my camera (maybe time for a new one).

Steve

Satan
11-05-2006, 11:42
I think I can make out a sort of blue highlight, no? Otherwise it's got to be the reflection from the sunlight. But yes, I think I might have to agree with your fears, the highlights are a bit hard to make out due to the camera/lighting. Looks like you've taken the pictures in a garage, correct? I suggest for the best results, you either take the pictures outside, with a high... whateverit'scalledinenglish, blending-value (Yes, that's a direct translation from swedish which I know to be wrong...), or inside, away from windows which'll reflect sunlight off the model (if you've varnished it).

The staff looks really neat though, so my guess is that you've done some really great highlighting which your camera seems to bear a grudge against. :D

rkunisch
11-05-2006, 11:43
Hopefully today's pictures are better than the last ones, however I am a bit dissapointed that all the highlight work I did on the robes seems to have gone completely under the radar of my camera (maybe time for a new one). Most of the time, it is not a problem of the camera but of the setup and especially the lights. For example this is my setup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/rkunisch/Miscellaneous/PhotoEquipment.jpg

This way I have much improved the quality of my pictures. :)

Have fun,

Rolf.

rkunisch
11-05-2006, 11:45
...with a high... whateverit'scalledinenglish, blending-value (Yes, that's a direct translation from swedish which I know to be wrong...) You are looking for aperture. ;)

Satan
11-05-2006, 11:56
Thank you, my A+ in CAE apparently wasn't much worth once it came down to scratch (if that's the proper expression). What's it called in german BTW? Rolf, where'd you get that equipment? It's really nice, also, what type of camera do you use?

rkunisch
11-05-2006, 12:08
Thank you, my A+ in CAE apparently wasn't much worth once it came down to scratch (if that's the proper expression). What's it called in german BTW? Rolf, where'd you get that equipment? It's really nice, also, what type of camera do you use?
The german word is "Blende".

The brand of the table and the lights is B.I.G. that is from the german Foto Brenner (http://www.fotobrenner.de/) online store. The big light under the table is for slides (don't remember the brand) and has a natural light temperature. The camera is a Canon EOS 300D and the lens an EF 100 Macro.

Have fun,

Rolf.

75hastings69
11-05-2006, 13:14
Rolf, that is one seriously sweet set up! How much did that lot set you back?

rkunisch
11-05-2006, 14:06
Rolf, that is one seriously sweet set up! How much did that lot set you back? Not as much as one would fear.:) The table alone is about 100 . With the two natural light lamps and holders it was about 200 .

I do not remember what I paid for the big light, because I bought it to sort my slides and therefor it was already in my possession when I began to make pictures of Miniatures. I remember as much as it was not cheap, because it is natural light.

The tripod (a Manfrotto) was a gift of my dad, so it was very cheap indeed. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

BlazeXI
12-05-2006, 09:22
Not as much as one would fear.:) The table alone is about 100 . With the two natural light lamps and holders it was about 200 .

I do not remember what I paid for the big light, because I bought it to sort my slides and therefor it was already in my possession when I began to make pictures of Miniatures. I remember as much as it was not cheap, because it is natural light.

The tripod (a Manfrotto) was a gift of my dad, so it was very cheap indeed. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

Wow Rolf, you really put attention to every detail of the hobby. If my painting was better I would think of something to improve the pics, but on a cheaper level.
Hope we, Poland, could surprise you on june 14th in Dortmund. It's my birthday, so we can't loose:D .
@ Hestings: you might wana check the HeadlyDedley thread. I believe he had a cheaper solution

rkunisch
12-05-2006, 16:41
Wow Rolf, you really put attention to every detail of the hobby. If my painting was better I would think of something to improve the pics, but on a cheaper level. You will find out that better pictures show how much you need to try to improve your painting. :cries: The minis look always better on the table because you cannot make out all details in this case.

Hope we, Poland, could surprise you on june 14th in Dortmund. It's my birthday, so we can't loose:D . Well, Sir, I wish you good luck then. :)
You will need it. :evilgrin:

Have fun,

Rolf.

Marsekay
13-05-2006, 00:46
The mounted scorceror reminds me of Venger from Dungeons and dragons the old 1940's cartoon.

Excellent

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:21
Right, really sorry about the lack of updates for this thread but I have been busy doing other stuff, and something had to give.

Here are my recent efforts.

First up a new unit of Chaos Warriors (meant to be finished by Monday!!! - I am really pleased with the guy on the L/H side (with the crow on his shoulder) - I love the Plastic Chaos Warrior kit - even though it isn't really posable you can still get loads of different looks to them.

P.S. I used my daylight lamp to try and get a bit more light in these shots, some have come out ok but I think the problem lies with A/ the camera, and B/ the user, to be honest.

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:23
Next up are some High Elves that I recently got off my friend Dan (Inquisitor Sternberg), hope I did these minis justice as they are IMO pretty sweet.

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:24
More HE.......

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:25
more HE.....

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:27
Some Lizardmen minis from last year's Lustria releases.......

KnightofUltramar
13-05-2006, 18:27
the mages look cool, how did you paint that fire?

KoU

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:28
More Lizardmen......

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:29
I will get back onto the Ltd Ed stuff in the next few days, but I really need to get the CW finished. First up will be the French WE Lord (just for you Satan ;) ).

Hope you enjoyed this (semi)update, comments are most welcome (except about my well below average photography skills :mad: )

Steve :)

75hastings69
13-05-2006, 18:36
the mages look cool, how did you paint that fire?

KoU

Started off at Scorched Brown, worked my way through the reds, then oranges, then yellows, leaving a little of the previous colour each progressive stage, then a final h/l of Skull White. The Gloss varnish gives a nice finish to the flames (but obscures details on other parts of the mini because of either light reflection or my crap photography skills :cries: ).

I used to use Purity Seal (as it used to be called until it was pulled!!! - because of the very reason I don't use it!!!) until an incident with a skaven Warp Lightning Cannon on a themed display base that I had spent 4 weeks on - it just looked like I had sprayed snow spray all over it!!! :mad: Apparently it was a quite common problem with purity seal - allegedly the new Satin Varnish (also named Purity Seal) doesn't display this problem - but I am not yet ready to risk it ;)

tzeentchgiant
13-05-2006, 21:42
Looking great, particularly the mages, they look cool.

TG

heldane
13-05-2006, 22:51
Next up are some High Elves that I recently got off my friend Dan (Inquisitor Sternberg), hope I did these minis justice as they are IMO pretty sweet.

Its nice to see some paint on them. I'd had them long enough and got nowhere with them.

I'm watching this thread with anticipation now Steve.

How about trying some of the BGiME ltd eds soon?

Dan

75hastings69
14-05-2006, 09:13
Yeah, I just realised that so far everything has been WFB, I will get some LotR and W40k stuff in there soon.

Marsekay
14-05-2006, 12:49
I just had to add, i really do like your painting style. Especially those high elves. they seem really nice and clean.

rkunisch
22-05-2006, 10:14
More than a week off-time? This way you won't get your minis painted... :evilgrin:

Have fun,

Rolf.

75hastings69
22-07-2006, 22:25
Right, this log will be updated very soon, sorry for the hefty delay but work has been nuts!

I hope to update the log in just over 2 weeks (when I get back from Singapore) so added this post so that people can have a look at my previous work, and to get a bit of interest in this log again (plus a few comments may help motivate me to get some more done).

To avoid further delays in this log I have now invested in a second paintset that I keep offshore so that I can do a bit out here in the evenings.

Hope you enjoyed the work so far, and look forward to seeing you on this log in a few weeks.

Steve

75hastings69
14-08-2006, 12:35
First up a Slan Mage Priest.... (not quite finished).

You may remeber this from earlier on in the thread where it was just sat in bits on my paintstaion.

Sorry that the pics aren't too clever.

75hastings69
14-08-2006, 12:37
Next up I made a start on the Ltd Ed France only Wood Elf Lord (just for you Satan ;) ).

Will post pics when finished. this is just first stages.

75hastings69
14-08-2006, 12:39
A Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon (may add loads more rats on the base yet).

75hastings69
14-08-2006, 12:41
Skaven Ratling Gun and Warlock Engineer (bad pics, sorry :( )

75hastings69
14-08-2006, 12:43
Starting to look a bit better, but I had to put some unpainted minis in due to lack of space :mad:

also pic of finished Orge Bulls Reg.

spikedog
14-08-2006, 13:25
Beautiful models, beautiful display case.

That chaos war mammoth you have in the case, do you have any other pictures of that painted ? Looks very nice and I would love to see it a little bit closer up.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

75hastings69
14-08-2006, 13:52
Here you go Spikedog, nowhere near finished yet, but it won't fit anywhere else!!! sorry about my below standard photography skills :cries:

spikedog
14-08-2006, 14:39
Thanks hastings!

All I can say is it is looking lovely, I especially like the tusks they look very real.

I totally respect you for taking on such a huge painting project such as this, I usually get bored half way through one standard rank and file troop so I think I would hang myself before finishing something that big.

Make sure you let us (and by us I mean me) know when you get some more work on this baby done.

75hastings69
14-08-2006, 14:44
Seems like I have been doing it forever, the fur on the mammoth has about 7 different shades on already as does the metal on the head guard!!!! I want to do this piece justice though as IMO it is the best that Forgeworld have produced. I will keep posting any progress I make with it.

Jedi152
14-08-2006, 14:52
Wow - Thats a major painting project in itself! Looking good!

Love the cabinet - i'm hoping to get something similar soon.

BlazeXI
15-08-2006, 08:06
Seems Steve you get distracted with different races and cannot focus on one, just like me:evilgrin:. I have promissed myself to focus on Empire, have built the archers only to move on Orc Boyz and a Chariot and now I'm finishing 3 Dwarf units....
I've always considered the 6th ed Slaan model to be the only Lizzy model to be better than 5th edition versions. Nicely painted by you.
Can't wait for other limited models.

Take care,

Marcin

||-MARKO-||
26-08-2006, 12:40
Here you go Spikedog, nowhere near finished yet, but it won't fit anywhere else!!! sorry about my below standard photography skills :cries:

*drools* can i have one?

please?

thast a mighty fine mammoth -thing there hastings.... cant wait to se it finished.

PS - is that archaon sat on the throne on its back?

Brush your teeth
26-08-2006, 12:54
cant beleive i missed this thread, some really nice work there 75hastings69
keep ot up!

schoolcormorant
26-08-2006, 13:21
hi, 75hastings69
i've just read through the thread and think your work is indeed brillaint. i too have challenged myself to one mini a day, but it's not going well, when i do them i enjoy it though. i really like all your work so far, especially the flesh tones on Grombrinadal.
i will keep reading this thread!
keep it up
SC

Steel_Legion
26-08-2006, 13:59
nice mammoth, keep up the good work!

Satan
26-08-2006, 22:02
Models are turning out great Steve, especially the Wood elf hero. Gotta get me one of those. My search is currently, as ever - fruitless. ;-)

slaaneshes_own
26-08-2006, 23:28
Just replying so I can subscribe to this awesome thread!

Dude! Your stuff rocks so bad!

I love the demon on the first page, it's just classy!

Joe

FalseAngel
27-08-2006, 05:35
Great stuff, kinda funny cuz i'm avoiding painting alot of things because of LACK of space to display them!

slaaneshes_own
31-08-2006, 22:52
Any more?! I want new shiny painted goodness dammit!

:D

Joe

75hastings69
01-09-2006, 11:44
Yeah, there will be. I am offshore at the minute so I cannot post any pics of my work, I am just about finished a Salamanders FW Drop Pod for another Warseer member. Pics will be posted next week of all the stuff I have completed since the last update.

Steve

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 19:35
OK, a much overdue update for you all, thanks for being so patient.

First up the Salamanders FW Drop Pod I am painting for PierceC. Not quite finished, scorching and chipping effect to do on outside, and lighting and interior details to complete.

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 19:37
Next up Archaon Lord of the End Times....

I am quite pleased with my first ever attempt at painting lava... (pic 1)

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 19:40
Now the base for the Gotrek & Felix collectors set..... Gotrek & mates to follow ;)

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 19:43
now some Beastmen and also my part done BoC Giant (note how he has the same material for his pants as the Ltd Ed WE Lord a few pages back)....

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 19:44
and Be'Lakor ......

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 19:45
and Valten (V2)...

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 19:48
and lastly some UM SM for CoD (my first EVER marines in over 20 years of being in the hobby) - sorry about the excessive amount of chaplains but I just love their minis!!

tzeentchgiant
08-09-2006, 19:53
... Drop Dead Gorgeous models there...

Seriously cool stuff, the only two things I could complain about are the gloss finish, I do hope you think about ridding your beatiful models of that as soon as possible and the green on the Gotrec and Felix base.... seems a bit odd, don't know why, but it might be worth looking at again.

Other than that, excellent :).

TG

Steeple_jackuk
08-09-2006, 20:17
Wow some great stuff you've done mate. If you wanted to matt down that varnish you've got on I can really recommend Testors dullcoat.

Where is the Salamander drop pod from - is that FW one?

Sj.

slaaneshes_own
08-09-2006, 21:37
At last! :D

Some excellent stuff there mate! Can't wait for Gotrek and gang - are they all 54mm ish or less?

Joe

FalseAngel
08-09-2006, 22:09
Dude... did you steal some of the 'Eavy Metal models?! That is wonderful painting!

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 23:19
At last! :D

Some excellent stuff there mate! Can't wait for Gotrek and gang - are they all 54mm ish or less?

Joe

34mm if I am not mistaken. Just doing Snorri at the minute.

75hastings69
08-09-2006, 23:20
....... the gloss finish, I do hope you think about ridding your beatiful models of that as soon as possible .....TG

Yep I agree, I think I am going to get hold of some Dullcoat to go over the top as the light reflection on the gloss varnish really detracts from the detail.

Harry
12-09-2006, 15:52
Hastings...you the man.
I love the blue Demon you kicked off with.
I love the work on the Wood Elf cloak.
Mostly I'm impressed with your work rate.
You have inspired me to get more painting done myself. (I might even start my own log).
Keep it up...great to see that at least one of us is actually getting some of their backlog painted!

Kyte
12-09-2006, 19:57
A mounted Chaos Sorcerer? A WE with GW? Where do you get these SE minis?

75hastings69
13-09-2006, 03:33
I have LOADS more Ltd/SE and Unreleased minis.......

I will get back to painting some of it soon, and posting pics on here of course!

Jedi152
13-09-2006, 08:15
Collecting/painting limited ed mini's in Hastings thing.

IIRC there's only 2 in like the history of Citadel that he hasn't got.

rikard
27-09-2006, 08:12
Damn you weren't joking when you said you had a mountain of stuff to paint, so very nice minis there and well done for keeping this thread updated so readily, a definite sign I should spend less time procrastonating and more time painting and sculpting

*Goes back to finishing Nakai green*

Zodiac
19-10-2006, 21:20
I love what you are doing here! continue please!
Would love to see more hastings coming to life!

Pekel
19-10-2006, 22:02
Great stuff - I just looked through all 11 pages of the topic. Hope you keep it up!

And a question - I'm doing a jungle-themed Beastmen army for someone and I really like the small ferns you have on the base of your own Beastmen. Where'd you get them?

75hastings69
20-10-2006, 13:29
Right, there will be much updating in the next few days, plus I got myself some Testors Dullcoat so I am going to try using it instead of the gloss varnish.

precinctomega
20-10-2006, 13:50
1) Is it me, or does that first "Rogue Daemon" model look like the work of Keith Krell (now of Heresy Minatures)?

2) Hastings - do you have the LE fantasy 54mm models - the Trollslayer/Troll, Chaos Knight and Wood Elf?

R.

Phaia
20-10-2006, 14:20
A lot of different armies. Are you going to paint any units? So far I have only seen single models.

The only comment I can give is that your models are to shiny in my eyes. Further very nicely painted a good TTQ perhaps little above

75hastings69
20-10-2006, 14:50
@ precinctomega - Yes I have the 54mm minis.

@ Phaia - I have invested in some Testors Dullcote as I said above, so the reflection shouldn't be a problem in future. There will be some units, but this thread was initially going to be just ltd ed minis (so apart from the unreleased BB LM team there are no real Ltd "units") but has turned into just showing stuff that I have done.

fattdex
20-10-2006, 16:01
You have some really nice stuff in this thread mate! makes me want to start a fantasy army...

Green Grot
20-10-2006, 16:09
Really nice stuff. The only thing that I can see that looks wrong is Archaons base, it lava looks great but it seems to end really abruptly and goes straight into sand/grass. I think it would of looked better if you had done the rest of the base as lava aswell.

Ohh...did you get my PM?

Gekiganger
20-10-2006, 17:43

See you tomorrow,

Steve

You don't know how painful it is that I don't have that model... It's one of the best things GW had produced in recent times.

Next up Archaon Lord of the End Times....

I am quite pleased with my first ever attempt at painting lava... (pic 1)

My god... That Archaon is a sexy beast!

It surprises me to a degree that your rumour accuracy is almost second in rank of 'my god, amazing!' to your painting skills. Those models in the thread are amazing works of art, selling a few more Archaons etc will give you a nice profit on ebay.

75hastings69
20-10-2006, 22:52
@ Gekiganger - Thanks for your kind words.. there are usually a few of the mounted sorcerors on ebay, but you can expect to pay £35+ for them, unfortunately I just gave my last spare to a good friend of mine who I owed a favour or two. I will keep an eye out though if you are interested.

Gekiganger
21-10-2006, 12:00
@ Gekiganger - Thanks for your kind words.. there are usually a few of the mounted sorcerors on ebay, but you can expect to pay 35+ for them, unfortunately I just gave my last spare to a good friend of mine who I owed a favour or two. I will keep an eye out though if you are interested.

Indeed, there are two on ebay (And yet again your accuracy astounds me, BIN of 35)(And one that was on foot but I've just relised finished earlier and I forgot to bid >_<) I saw the first one I'd noticed go for 63+.

I'm going to keep an eye out and perhaps buy one, if you see any good deals I'd be thankful for a PM.

sparks
21-10-2006, 12:07
there was an unreleased lizzie bloodbowl team?

75hastings69
21-10-2006, 12:08
there was an unreleased lizzie bloodbowl team?

There sure was/is... I will post pics soon if you want!

sparks
21-10-2006, 14:22
i would very much enjoy those! are they significantly different than the ones that got released?

Pekel
21-10-2006, 20:37
Sorry to post this again, but I didn't get a reply the first time I asked - where did you get the ferns used on your Beastmen bases?

It looks great and I'd like to try it, so an answer would be greatly appreciated.:)

EDIT: Sorry about that, didn't see the PM! Thanks a lot!

75hastings69
21-10-2006, 21:48
Sorry to post this again, but I didn't get a reply the first time I asked - where did you get the ferns used on your Beastmen bases?

It looks great and I'd like to try it, so an answer would be greatly appreciated.:)

I have actually PMd you offering you some..... :confused:

They are brass etch fern frets available from almost any online model railway supplier. The smaller the better as the bigger plants are no good for the WFB scale (well they maybe ok for Lustrian style scenery - but certainly not for going on woodland style bases).

Pekel
22-10-2006, 21:12
Ah, thanks. I actually am going for a Lustrian look, but the small ones would be great accents around the bases of stumps and whatnot. Thanks for the information and keep up the great work!

de Selby
23-10-2006, 17:34
I've just found this thread. Really great work, keep it up. An inspiration to people like me with hundred of unpainted minis.

Swifty
23-10-2006, 21:08
75hastings69 i think it would be really cool if u started some kind of sticky thread with all the limited edition models you i have, i know i can't be the only one that loves seeing some of the really rare minis we never get to hear about. oh and maybe when and how they were released.

75hastings69
25-10-2006, 14:00
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. But I have been hit in a massive way with cold. Will get back on to it as soon as I am feeling up to it.

Sorry,

Steve

BlazeXI
25-10-2006, 15:09
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. But I have been hit in a massive way with cold. Will get back on to it as soon as I am feeling up to it.

Sorry,

Steve

The Autumn weather can be deceiving. Get well soon!

Zodiac
26-10-2006, 15:43
The Autumn weather can be deceiving. Get well soon!

With a will! :mad:

(lol)

75hastings69
28-10-2006, 22:50
Right I am feeling a lot better than I have been. I have managed to finish my Skarsnik & Gobbla, and might I add MANY thanks to TG and the other posters that advised me to use Testors Dullcote, from now on I will use nothing but. I will post pics tomorrow morning. Thanks for your patience everyone, and once again apologies for the delay, seems like father Nurgle had it in for me big time recently!

75hastings69
29-10-2006, 09:29
As promised here are pics of my finished Skarsnik & Gobbla (first few are a bit dark but I think my photography has improved a bit) with the extremely wonderful Testors Dullcote finish.

Satan
29-10-2006, 10:25
I like them. They look great with a classic touch. Have you sprayed them with testors yet?

75hastings69
29-10-2006, 12:13
Yep, they have been sprayed with Testors, I can't believe I didn't use this stuff before it is way better than GW branded pap.

I will be adding more to this thread but unfortunately as one of my colleagues has gone off sick I will be offshore for a solid month by the time I get to update it!!!

Gekiganger
29-10-2006, 12:15
As promised here are pics of my finished Skarsnik & Gobbla (first few are a bit dark but I think my photography has improved a bit) with the extremely wonderful Testors Dullcote finish.

Fantastic job, love the spines on the p'inty 'at

Just finished painting my old Skarsnik 'n Gobbla, it's nothing compared to that (Although I've done myself proud so I'm content)

Where do you get Testors Dullcote finish? I'm after a replacement for Gw stuff but havn't found anything.:(

75hastings69
29-10-2006, 12:48
@ Gekiganger, I got it here (http://horsingaround.com/acatalog/Testors_Dullcote.html)

BlazeXI
29-10-2006, 14:09
@ Gekiganger, I got it here (http://horsingaround.com/acatalog/Testors_Dullcote.html)

Finally I get a clear picture how the new Skarsnik mini looks like (full 360 derees!).
As to painting my only concern is Gobbla's mouth and tongue. Gloss varnish would imitate spit/slime/other things like in the new coca-cola add with the alien:D.

As to Testores dull coat I got all excited until I noticed Shipped to the UK Only

Now the model I am mostly looking forawrd to in Orc & Goblin range is Grom. Unfortunetely it has not been mentioned yet. I have two conversion kits for goblin chariot to make it with 3 wolfs, but a new fat goblin warboss is unavailable and old Grom does not fit with the new range too well.

hellfire
02-11-2006, 21:23
wow this thread is great I have to subscribe

Im wondering about the testors dulcotte finish. does it fade the models colors or is it completley clear

75hastings69
02-11-2006, 21:32
Thanks for subscribing hellfire, I haven't been able to update as much as I would have liked due to work commitments (I work offshore on the oil rigs) but please be patient, there will be more stuff put up on 28th November (when I get home).

As for the dullcote it appears to be absolutely clear, my photography has faded the Gobbla quite a bit as it is a fair bit lighter in real life.

last_chancer
05-11-2006, 18:17
Oooh, project log!

Nice painting so far, I can't wait to see more classic minis!

PierceC
14-11-2006, 23:05
Hey,
I have been meaning to do this for quite some time so my aplogises. Was hoping that we would by a proper digital cam by now (Had a slight accident with a power adapter on my old one :cries: ) but these were done by the camera phone so sorry for the quality :(

However, don't even think that this is what the drop pod looks like in real life, It is amazing :evilgrin: (and Mine!) The flaked metal looks so realistic, my wife thought some paint had chipped off in the post!!! :D

I have to thank 75hasting69 for doing such a great job on this, it looks fabulous and I hope you enjoy the pics. Once again sorry for the quality, but once we get a camera expect an update.

ashc
15-11-2006, 00:13
wow, lovely stuff Hastings; consider this thread subscribed to.

and a member of my editorial team pming you ;)

Ash

deth_knight
24-11-2006, 04:21
Well done

You have really inspired me, I will endeavour to do a model a day aswell, after a recent theft of all my warhammer models, I have been reluctant to put paint brush to model, it is not the cost, it years of work that I need to replace, some models which can never be replaced.

Thanks for the inspiration, keep up the good work.

75hastings69
26-11-2006, 13:18
Right there will be a major update to this thread - with a twist - when I get back home!!!

Arhalien
29-11-2006, 15:26
This is all looking very nice. For the person who asked about the WE lord with GW (a long way back :D) it is now apparently availabe with a WD subscription in Germany, or you could have a limited edition WH inquisitor with plasma pistol,over in the UK we're not going to get a choice, gobbo warboss (but a nice one), and that's it.

Bloodthirster90
29-11-2006, 21:50
so what happened to this 'major update' we were supposed to be getting?
it's ok really, just being evil. Take your time. really good stuff so far though.

75hastings69
30-11-2006, 09:02
Sorry got delayed offshore, update will be up in the next few days.

ham2525
03-12-2006, 22:27
Love all the stuff Hastings and Im thinking of making myself one of these threads.

liamrob
06-12-2006, 22:18
I'm gonna follow this until u finish every single model :p (I hope)

This has inspired me to get my **** into gear and paint all my LOTR minis and SM. Hmm how'd u do the blue on ur demon. Might try that similiar style on ma cloaks.

Keep the great work up. I thought i was bad with my minis. Bought about 400+minis. Painted prob 80, but i had done some more. Just gotta repaint them. I h8 my crap standard like 2 yrs ago :p. Once i get a good camera i'll have to start a log.

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 17:34
Ok, sorry about the delay in putting this first part of the update on, but as you can see I have been pretty busy getting stuff up on ebay.

I will take some better pics of my Empire general as soon as possible and get them posted.

Hope you like.....

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 17:36
Empire General (will post better pics soon - not sure whether to put the cape on or not?)

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 17:38
Death Korps Gorgon...

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 17:40
WIP Savage Orc Great Shaman on Boar and Savage Orc Shaman....

Ravenheart
09-12-2006, 17:41
Death Korps Gorgon...

Wow, now that one is sweet.
I do like the weathering and dirt effects.

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 17:42
Night Gobbo Fanatics....

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 17:44
Night Gobbos (now unfinished as I have added more Gobbos to the unit!!!!)...

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 17:44
Just wish my photography was better!!!!

Zodiac
09-12-2006, 18:19
I really like the savage orc shaman on the warboss boar, it looks really ... evil! A threatening shaman is not something ordinary! Good job!
The empire general looks good, but his arm with the sword looks odd, it might be the position of the camera .. Good job!

Harry
09-12-2006, 19:33
Great work on the Gorgon. If the rest of your Death Korps stuff look anything like this we are in for a treat. And this from the man who says he doesn't know how to do mud.

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 19:46
As promised better pics of my Empire General.....

cookiescrumble
09-12-2006, 19:57
Any chance of sharing the secrets on how you did those Night goblin cloaks?

And how you did the flames round Skarsniks hood.

Nice minis btw.

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 21:26
Sure Cookiescrumble, I have layered the black up into just below Codex Grey, I start of with a good solid Chaos Black base, then add a little Codex to the mix, well watered down, then ad a little more for each progressive layer of highlight, the best tip I can give is that when highlighting black less is more, if you try too many layers of greys you can quickly end up with a grey cloak instead. It is always nice to finish with a 100% Codex Grey highlight on the very extremeties of the highlighted areas. Hope this was of help to you mate.

BTW the flames on Skarsniks hood are the same technique, but adding first orange then yellow. I should get some more pics of my Skarsnik put up soon, as I have deepened his skin tones a bit as looking at them they look too flat, I also did as many people suggested and glossed Gobbla's tongue, and it looks much better for it, thanks guys.

I am pretty pleased with my Empire General, my favourite feature being the skin tones on the face (best seen in pics 2 and 6) I have been working on him on and off for the last week or so (in between the masses of Night Gobbos that seem to be covering my entire work and gaming areas!!!).

I should have more updates in the next day or so, no Ltd/Unreleased stuff for a while just because I need to get some armies painted up for Forthcoming games.

All the best, and thanks for taking the time to check out my log,

Steve

Zodiac
09-12-2006, 22:34
Hey Hastings, I like the empire general alot! Are his eyes a pain to paint?
Did you already get the night gobbo heroes you ordered? Or arent they there yet?

75hastings69
09-12-2006, 22:49
Believe it or not his eyes are actually painted (including blue iris) just that the cam does not seem to pic it up.

No I didn't get the Direct Sales Night Gobbo Heroes, what I did get was a refund and no explanation saying that my order had been cancelled as there was no release date for the minis. I have since found out that they are not due out till next summer!!!!

The Iron Duke
09-12-2006, 23:18
That Empire General looks wonderful. I also like the shaman a lot - almost makes me want to go green. Keep up the good work - I'm eager to see what else you will pull out of your magic bag.

BlazeXI
10-12-2006, 00:11
No I didn't get the Direct Sales Night Gobbo Heroes, what I did get was a refund and no explanation saying that my order had been cancelled as there was no release date for the minis. I have since found out that they are not due out till next summer!!!!

Just returned from Dortmund, where I've seen Iron Maiden on friday (great show - UK, you are for real treat soon!). Straighr after returning from there (well, after a bath actually;)) I went with my fiance to my soon to be brother in law and got wasted, so sorry for senseless thoughts.
In my humble diminished by alcohol opinion I'd say that GW has read your threats of abandoning much admired by me and lots of people around the world your passion for limited/unreleased minis and cancelled your order. Usually they would do no refund and ship it when the minis are available...

Remember words of wisdom: (see sig:evilgrin:)

oh yeah, love those checkers on the hood of NG champion. GW Dortmund had no interesting minis.

liamrob
10-12-2006, 03:49
That gorgon u got there is sweet. What is the troop carrying capasity???

Keep up the good paint jobs.

Toastie142
10-12-2006, 11:27
Nice general looks good , your making me annoyed as I need to wait till next month to get mine.
Nice gorgon too!

75hastings69
10-12-2006, 12:24
In my humble diminished by alcohol opinion I'd say that GW has read your threats of abandoning much admired by me and lots of people around the world your passion for limited/unreleased minis and cancelled your order. Usually they would do no refund and ship it when the minis are available...

Remember words of wisdom: (see sig:evilgrin:)

Yeah, I took the advice from those words of wisdom, consider my sale of Ltd/Unreleased stuff OVER!!!!

I shall get back to painting some more of it up soon as soon as I finish a few armies.

dave is the best
10-12-2006, 13:08
They are really nice! How do you get some of the models early?

Dave

Zodiac
10-12-2006, 13:38

calls out wildly: WHERE's GRANDMA, I NEED REVENGE! *

Here I am Love, what ya need?

Oh grandmomma, GW did something real bad to me!

Oh grandma will get them dear, dont your worry

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=8478238285671811588&q=machine+gun

:cool:

cookiescrumble
10-12-2006, 14:25
Thanks alot, that helped alot. I plan on doing another 3 week project log when my Necrons are done. Next is a Night Goblin Army.

liamrob
10-12-2006, 14:29
Oh no more pictures at the moment. Can u paint some more up and get some pictures that we can drool over.

75hastings69
10-12-2006, 15:47
Did you check page 8 Liamrob?

@ Cookiescrumble, I would love to see that, they are pretty heavy going though I still have over 150 of the bad boys to paint up!!!

@ Dave is the Best, I have good mates ;) I have had the Empire Army box for about 3-4 weeks now. I just realised you live in the same place as another warseer member ... interesting...

I may post some pics from my pending thrashing of my mates lizardmen tomorrow, not sure if it will be my Brets, OK or BoC that issue said thrashing yet.

Thargrund
10-12-2006, 16:33
keep the model pics coming you are a very good painter :)

75hastings69
11-12-2006, 19:21
Well glad I never took any pics of todays battle, my O&G were soundly thrashed by a well oiled Lizardman machine!!! The final turns were a pretty embarrasing affair, so luckily it wasn't captured on film.

Back to painting tomorrow, something I enjoy far better than getting my **** handed to me......

Voronwe[MQ]
17-12-2006, 12:55
Don't we all? :p

I lost all matches on a recent tournament, though it's always funny neverethless! This is a log full of well-painted models; I'll follow it. :)

Voronwe

dave is the best
17-12-2006, 12:58
@ Dave is the Best, I have good mates ;) I have had the Empire Army box for about 3-4 weeks now. I just realised you live in the same place as another warseer member ... interesting...

Who's that?

Dave

75hastings69
17-12-2006, 13:38
Who's that?

Dave

my good friend Harry :)

dave is the best
17-12-2006, 13:41
my good friend Harry :)

Cool, whats his warseer name.

Dave

75hastings69
17-12-2006, 13:50

Dave

erm..... Harry :p

Zodiac
17-12-2006, 13:50

Dave

oh my ******** god.. :D :p

dave is the best
17-12-2006, 16:56
woop my bad lol.

Dave

Harry
18-12-2006, 23:02
:eek:

Just trying to get this cat back in the bag!:D

No, its out now!

Dave. You have a PM....top right of the page.

BlazeXI
18-12-2006, 23:48
There are some Warsawer Warseerers (some wordplay:cheese:), but I never got to see any in person. I am really considering going next year to UK GD, so maybe one day I'll see someone posting here.

Harry
19-12-2006, 14:52
You would be welcome to come and stay at my house if you do.
You me and Hastings can all go together.:D

BlazeXI
19-12-2006, 20:41

Thanks for the offer. Amazing what internet in conjunction with hobby does to people. What would be the odds of receiving such an offer say, 10 years ago?

BlazeXI
26-12-2006, 22:00
As it is Chrismas time and this thread is bound to receive soon pics of limited goodies, I reckon no one will bash me for asking this question here:

Does anyone have a clue what this years Staff Christmas present is?
A picture would be more than welcome.

75hastings69
26-12-2006, 23:14
It was a rather lame Bag, not a model this year.

I have made a new years resolution to update this log more often (after I get back from work on 9th Jan).

Steve

Zodiac
27-12-2006, 10:42

PJ PARTY! :rolleyes:

75hastings69
27-12-2006, 11:28
Hey who said anything about PJs???!!!!

Zodiac
27-12-2006, 13:17

LOL :D Hastings that was WRONG ! :D

Harry
30-12-2006, 08:14
Thanks for the offer. Amazing what internet in conjunction with hobby does to people. What would be the odds of receiving such an offer say, 10 years ago?
Not good...should have seen where I was living ten years ago!:D

It was a rather lame Bag, not a model this year.Steve
You could still get one and give it a nice paint job just for a laugh!

Ohhh sir!
Now theres a thought thats going to fester!
Helgar, get the restraints ready we've got guests!:eek:

I think you had best post some more minis quick and get this thread back on track!

Jonahmaul
19-01-2007, 17:16
Well done

You have really inspired me, I will endeavour to do a model a day aswell, after a recent theft of all my warhammer models, I have been reluctant to put paint brush to model, it is not the cost, it years of work that I need to replace, some models which can never be replaced.

This happened to a friend of mine, he fell asleep on the train & some fu**er stole his case with his painted WE army in it, probably thinking it was a laptop or something. He said same thing but then put a postitive light on it that he would recollect them & this time make sure he did a better paint job on them. Sounds like you had more that an army stolen but hopefully my friends plight will inspire you to pick up the brush again.

Anardakil
28-01-2007, 18:04
I really like your empire general. Very nice painting. Damn I want that model.... but no! I must not stray from my path. My Empire army is long since done. ;P

The gobbos are sweet too. But I think you should add some static grass to their bases. I think it looks weird with just brown dirt when the sides of the bases are painted goblin green.

BlazeXI
05-02-2007, 20:52
Any progress, Steve?

Kjell
05-02-2007, 21:36
Hey, that mounted Chaos Sorcerer in the book wasn't a conversion after all. I never knew. Good work, though!

BlazeXI
05-02-2007, 22:12
Hey, that mounted Chaos Sorcerer in the book wasn't a conversion after all. I never knew. Good work, though!

Kjell, it is probably the most expensive GW limited mini on ebay nowadays. It was available with Italian WD subscribtion.

75hastings69
06-02-2007, 20:50
Any progress, Steve?

Sadly only progress has been getting loads of cash by working stupid periods away. I hope to get picture updates up on my log on or around 21st February, really sorry for the delay guys.

BlazeXI
07-02-2007, 16:38
Sadly only progress has been getting loads of cash by working stupid periods away. I hope to get picture updates up on my log on or around 21st February, really sorry for the delay guys.

Since cash is mandatory for our hobby:evilgrin: you are perfectly excused. Hope the weather is ok. Such a land rat as me would not dare to go in winter off shore.

75hastings69
24-02-2007, 20:35
Next my continually growing Death Korps...

75hastings69
24-02-2007, 20:36
Next the GD 06 Slayer.... (please note that the hair is not anywhere near as bright in real life, I think this is product of the flash on my camera).

75hastings69
24-02-2007, 20:38
And lastly pics of my Trollblood Impaler, my first ever HORDES (Privateer Press) model, purchased from the excellent Brandir. These models are excellent sculpts and full of character. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did painting it.

75hastings69
24-02-2007, 20:39
Oh, here's a bonus pic of my dog in his winter gear :D (it does get pretty cold and rainy over here this time of year!!!)

Harry
24-02-2007, 21:05
I really love the magnet idea.
How did you come up with this idea?
Where did you get the mini magnets?
How much of a knock/shake can the mini take before his arm drops off?

And some very nice green stuff work there.
Look forward to seeing him painted. Ostlands Black and White is one of the best Empire colour schemes.

75hastings69
24-02-2007, 21:10
Thanks Harry, I was inspired by some guy that did a SM commander where almost every component was magnetised, I think he even did armour plates with battle damage on!!!! I have tonnes of the magnets if you would like me to send you a few? They are rare earth magnets and are incredibly strong, I usually use them on my WFB bases and movement trays, this means I can even turn them upside down without models falling out! They are really robust and I have even seen them work well on large scale models like the 40k Tyranid Carnifex. I hope to get him based and painted this week so pics will follow.

Arhalien
25-02-2007, 10:34
at last! An update! :D

As ever, great painting Hastings. That trollblood is painted brilliantly; the skin tone looks just right.
Good looking Death Korps too from what I can see :)

How far through the 1800 models btw?
I look forward to seeing more :)

BlazeXI
25-02-2007, 18:25
We got a great reward for the patient waiting!

Excellent bull on that barding. As we are at it, what would you write on it if the general was a Witch Hunter? My best idea at the moment is "Repent" and "End is Nigh" on each side.

I bet I am not the only one to see some close up of the Korps;).

As to Privateer Press one of my Gaming Mates is trying to talk us into Warmachine. I am considering it, really. Can't decide on the faction yet. Surely, the mercaneries are most appealing to me, figurewise.

Going with the dog theme, I do hope you will not be angry at me, but I've attached a picture of my parents dog, Nana, from about 20 months ago. One of those skavenesque things stayed;)

75hastings69
01-03-2007, 15:14
@ BlazeXI, Definately "REPENT", maybe even on both sides?

My Empire General is now complete (modelling wise) and will be getting undercoated tomorrow when the GS has dried, he will then be going into paint this weekend, I'll get pics up as soon as they are ready.

Steve

CMDante
01-03-2007, 16:09
Really nice job with the sculpting on the Empire general there! It's nice to see another fellow Ostlander on the forum! Quick question, did you cast one side of the sculpting and then copy it to the other? The reason I ask is they look nigh on identical on both sides, a true testament to your skills with greenstuff if you didnt!

Can't wait to see him painted, hopefully it will provide me with some ideas for my own, yet to be purchased, general!

Cheers,

Dante

BlazeXI
01-03-2007, 22:11
Just in case you both, Steve and CMDante, have forgotten, the Mordheim Freelance Knight has an Ostland Shield;).

75hastings69
01-03-2007, 22:16
Hmmm, with a dead fish nailed on it? WTF!?

BlazeXI
01-03-2007, 23:27
Hmmm, with a dead fish nailed on it? WTF!?

Well, fish are a mordheim thing. See the Dwarf shields, the Frenzied mob has a guy being eaten by one. Surely could add variaty to your Ostland project.

CMDante
02-03-2007, 00:03
The old 5th edition brets have shields with the Ostland bull head on them too.

75hastings69
03-03-2007, 14:03
Ok here is a small update. First off the Ostland Empire General has been GSd, based, and undercoated, I have now just started laying down the basecoats as you can see from these pics.

75hastings69
03-03-2007, 14:04
And one of the other things I am working on at the minute is my HORDES Trollblood force. Here you can see I just started painting my Dire Troll Mauler (sorry for the out of focus shots!).

Arhalien
03-03-2007, 14:07
Good conversion on the pegasus, looks a bit like it;s about to take off. That sword is a bit oversized though :)

Good skin colour on that troll so far.

Looking forward to more :D

75hastings69
03-03-2007, 14:19
I think the sword is supposed to represent a Runefang, it is the one from the Empire General plastic box.

75hastings69
04-03-2007, 12:06
An update of the progress made on the Empire General so far....

Arhalien
04-03-2007, 12:08
Looking very nice Hastings :)
The painting of the face looks very good so far as does the white on the horse.
I'll say again that that Empire general horse works very well as a pegasus.
I look forward to seeing him finished. :D

75hastings69
04-03-2007, 14:04
As you can see I have done a bit more, just stopped for a coffee break and awaiting the bountiful delights of the TESCO home delivery van (hey it's raining ok!!).

The wings took quite a while to build up from black, but I am now quite happy with them. I am not sure whether to put a small pattern on the outer edge of the feathers?

My next dilemma is with the armour, now I want to keep black armour on the pegasus, this coupled with the white skin will help me tie this in with my Ostland theme (well that coupled with the words "OSTLAND" on the rear flanks!!). I am not sure whether to do the outer trim of these plates gold or silver? what do you guys think?

I am also unsure as to what colour my generals armour should be, silver or black? I plan on doing the sleeves of his shirt black and white and thought that if I gave him black armour it may be too much! but this is the main part of my dilemma, if I give the Imperial Pegasus black armour and my general silver armour will it look strange? Your thoughts are most welcome...

Arhalien
04-03-2007, 14:08
Maybe give the general black armour but edged gold to provide a slight barrier between the black sleeves. Edge the pegasus armour gold as well to tie in with the rider. I think edging it silver might make the model look a bit... cold, with black and silver armour and black and white cloth; not much warmth there.

On the other hand, there is the red sash, so maybe that warmth from the gold isn;'t needed.

I;m afraid I don;t really know. Either could look good.

Avian
04-03-2007, 15:01
Heh, I too was thinking that black armour with gold trimmings (or vice-versa) would be good. Alternatively, you could alternate the armour plating with black and gold and have a quartered design. I'd try to keep the yellow rather muted, though. Nothing like too much bright yellow gold to make a model look overdone.

And how big is that Mauler? I was thinking of using one as a second Gorger for my Ogres.

75hastings69
04-03-2007, 15:23
@ Avian, thanks for your input. As for the Dire Troll Mauler he is pretty big (bigger than any GW equivalent) but nowhere near as big as the Dire Troll Mauler EXTREME sculpt (you can just see part of him in the right hand side of the second Mauler pic).

75hastings69
04-03-2007, 20:00
OK I have decided to go with the Black Armour with Gold Trim and must say it looks very good. I will hold off taking pics until I am actually finished (so very close now!).

Arhalien
04-03-2007, 21:18
I look forward to seeing it finished Hastings :)

75hastings69
05-03-2007, 12:21
As promised here are pics of my completed Ostland Empire General on Imperial Pegasus, I have only the shield to complete for him, but I intend making this a bit special so it will take a while yet.

I think the magnetized arms work well for this mini, and you can see in the pics I changed the weapon over.

Hope you all like it, now on to the next project.....

75hastings69
05-03-2007, 12:23
Here are a few more pics....

The boyz
05-03-2007, 12:39
Wow, nice work on your Empire General 75Hastings69. I like the Black Armour with the gold trim, that looks very nice.

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 13:12
Excellent Hastings; the gold edged black armour looks great :)

Nice use of the knight champion head as well; lookss better than those in the box IMO.

Nife
05-03-2007, 13:43
Great painting there - the face on the general rally stands out for me...

75hastings69
05-03-2007, 14:46
BTW I have now glossed the black armour (as I forgot until after I took the pics! - I was kind of distracted with the talk of free cake in another thread!).

Avian
05-03-2007, 15:26
The pics are quite dark, so it's a bit difficult to see, but to me it looks like you could do well by painting more banding in gold, for example around the eyes of the horse and the individual plates on the horse's neck armour.

Very nice skin, though. :)

75hastings69
05-03-2007, 16:35
Here are some shots with the gloss armour.

@ Avian, thanks for that input, but I don't want to "bling" him out too much, that's also the reason I left the material hanging from under the saddle plain black.

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 18:36
That looks quite good with the varnish; gives the armour a faintly lacquered shine. It now looks like metal.

is there any reason why the general doesn't have a cape, since he just looks a bit too ordinary from the back IMO, not quite enough of a hero.

75hastings69
05-03-2007, 19:01
Many thanks Arhalien for your continued support and input, there is a reason why he has no cape, his shield is going to be slung on his back when I finish it. I am going with a fully sculpted Ostland shield.

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 19:05
Ah ok, this will be sculpted witth the bull symbol that appears on the barding (I presume that's the Ostland symbol; don't know much about Empire background) I'm guessing. That could look very good

I look forward to seeing it :D

BlazeXI
05-03-2007, 19:45
Hi there,

the General looks so much better with the Knights champion's head. I dare to say it has more detail than the kit's original heads. I was truly disappointed when my bits (from Battlewagon bits) came. The beard on the bold head had very little detail. The guys need to work out how to do it better with the computer technology.

I really like the colours and your greenstuff work. Did you use any template to do the letters for "Ostland"?

His Master's Voice
05-03-2007, 19:58
Ah , now that the armour is glossy, it looks much, much better.
The only thing that is not 'first class' about this mini is the lack of light in the pics. It's a damn shame that we can't see it in all its glory and I think that even a normal table lamp would make it clearer and more visible.

75hastings69
05-03-2007, 21:56
I will try and get some new pics taken tomorrow.

Max1mum
07-03-2007, 11:28
I don't think anybody has tried to give you some advice -yet-.
Save for that one bloke with a really complicated rig for his mini photo's set up.

All right, what you basicly need to do is rip that flash of your camera, really flashes are horrid, any mildly reflective surface is going to screw with your photo.

"but then my minis will turn dark"

I know, but every camera has the option to "enhance" the light, it basicly just lights up the photo a bit. It's a basic function, but i'm utterly lost as to the English name of said function.

And figure out if your camera has a macro set up on it. If it doesn't, go spend all that extra cash on a camera that -does- have a macro function.

Most camera's ( if not all ) are really rubbish at taking picture's from up close, just compare it to your own eyes, if i stuff a mini a inch or two away from your eye you will not be able to take it all in or admire it, and chances are good it will be blurry and you will try to know me out because all i did was nearly poke your eyes out.

Now to help the camera a bit with that, fancy folk at canon and Nikon thought of the macro function ;-), it's the one used to photograph bugs and such.

Also it might help a lot if you simple put your mini in some natural light, you take the photo's when it's on your desk. Take some time to put it next to a window and await some nice weather and take the shot ;-).

All in all i can't say "great stuff there mate" because i can't see 80 % off it properly :S.

look at me, ...my first post...and I'm trying to give advice to a local demi god.
please be gentle ;-)

75hastings69
07-03-2007, 21:37
Thank you very much for your advice Max1mum, it is well taken and probably long overdue. I shall purchase a good quality camera soon so as to rid my own annoyance of how my photography skills are sub standard (as I mention many times in my log!).

I would hardly call myself a demi god, but the flattery has definately earnt you a place on my xmas card list!

Thanks mate, I hope you will look in on future updates to my work (hopefully 15th March - if anyone can actually decide how long I am actually meant to be here for!!).

Max1mum
08-03-2007, 10:12
well, i all honesty if your camera doesn't have a macro setting, and the place where you take your photo's ( on your desk, far from natural lighting ) you could be ceo of canon and not be able to take a good shot.

And to me it might seem a bit as if i'm trying to be a smart ass here, but i'm just really curious how your mini's actualy look.

Paulus
18-03-2007, 14:01
Love the Empire general Hasting's the black armour against the white Pegasus looks really striking & the gloss finish only enhances it!

Even the base looks really good!

OLIVERASO
07-04-2007, 21:09
Does anyone have a clue what this years Staff Christmas present is?
A picture would be more than welcome.

An friend receive an Old world map on wood. Maybe not in UK ?

R.

Max1mum
04-07-2007, 14:29
*prods hastings*

you done painting yet ? ;-)

Harry
04-07-2007, 14:34
@Max1mum. He has now got a new camera but has not worked out how to turn it on yet. :D

75hastings69
04-07-2007, 15:13
Harry speaks the truth!

I got a new camera 10. something megapixels, macro function. blah, blah, blah, but I am still useless!!! I even bought one of those crazy foldy away springy out light box things!! but still I suck.

This is the only 1/2 decent photo of about 20 that I took earlier to show Harry my icicles (sp?).

I think it would help if I knew anything at all about Photography or Photoshop etc. :cries:

EDIT* By the way since that pic was taken (about 2 hours ago) I have done loads more. I am hoping to have it finished tonight and completed pics taken to update this thread tomorrow.

McMullet
04-07-2007, 15:48
That's not too bad as pictures go. Nicicle icicles. :)

A few things I'd suggest:

- Turn the quality up to maximum (you have some nasty artefacts around the edge of the model which, I assume, is due to excessive compression).
- Use the right shooting mode. Program (P) is OK, Aperture Priority (Av) is good, Manual (M) is best of all. But the better ones require more input from you. ;) Also, use "Spot mode" for the light metering. Don't use Auto mode as it can't usually handle miniatures.
- Download picasa from google. It's free and very easy to use.

You should be able to find information on the first two in the camera's manual.

Harry
04-07-2007, 15:58
No, McMullet, you don't understand.

Steve, first remove the lens cap.... :D

75hastings69
04-07-2007, 16:00
I think I have it sussed!!!!!

Is this better??

Zodiac
04-07-2007, 16:28
The base is really cool Hastings!
A 'proppa' paintjob on the figure, nice cloak. I love it ! :D
( of course, it's not done yet )

75hastings69
04-07-2007, 16:35
Thank you very much good sir. Sorry to keep all of you waiting so long for an update.

Now that I seem to be getting to grips with my new camera I'll get some pics of the stuff I have done recently put up on this thread.

*Note to self I must improve my photography skills before posting on the tale of painters (WFB) thread.

Frans
04-07-2007, 17:23
Mr. Hastings sir, you probably heard this a million times allready but your thread really is an inspiration to me, it's a joy to see a large variation of models together and I will continue to keep up to date with this thread.

Thank you *bows*