PDA

View Full Version : vaghulf vrs terrorghiest

piperrepip
25-07-2012, 09:08
at 1500 points which is more effective 2 varghulfs or a terrorghiest vrs any or all these armies high elves, dark elves, wood elves, lizardmen, ogers, tombkings, dwarves, warriors of chaos, orcs and goblins

Flying_Flaming_Moose
25-07-2012, 10:08
Er... well, this question is nearly impossible to answer as you might as well ask: 'these units, totally different... which one is better?' and that all depends on context.

What's in your army? A terrorghesist excels at taking out elite, high armour targets whilst the varghulf is much more of a swiss army knife of a choice.

Against elves, the terrorghiest is less effective due to the high LD of their armies, plus bolt throwers and general wood elf shooting will kill a terrorghiest. Lizardmen with all their poison shooting is also an issue. But - the TG is quite amazing against armies like warriors and ogres; and i've found it to be passable against tomb kings as well.

The varghulf however, excels at killing low armour infantry units and support pieces like cannons in my experience.

If you are up against a low-shooting meta, I would lean towards the terrorgheist - as shooting is the only real counter (outside of magic) to it as the terrorgheist should never normally be in combat. However, I am warming to double varghulf as well, to the point that I am not sure which one is better per say.

Both choices are strong - but without an army list or a slightly less... vague... meta the answer is basically down to personal preferences.

piperrepip
25-07-2012, 10:25
master necromancer 230
talisman of preservation
master of the dead

wight king 130
sword of strife
enchanted shield

necromancer 100
cursed book

necromancer 90
ruby ring of ruin

skeletons 120
24x5

zombies 80
25x3
standard

crypt ghouls 250
25x10

this is what i have at the moment all my necromancers will be taking lore of vampires

piperrepip
25-07-2012, 10:33
what about 2 varghulfs and 3 varghiests for damaging units on flanks/counter charges and also the varghiests can get to warmachines if i fight dwarves/elves

Texhnolyze
25-07-2012, 14:15
When I first started out with VC I used the Terrorgheist quiet a bit! But it has some glaring weaknesses. It's HUGE for one, so it's very hard to hide, or even land when moving about. It also requires the general close by to move more then 10", you will notice this is a problem after a few games.

I dropped him for some varghulfs, and I really like these guys, they hit hard, they are fast, the can operate outside of the generals LD bauble. And the are a lot easier to hide ^^

piperrepip
25-07-2012, 18:07
not to mention i also will be able to afford 3 varghiests

Lance Tankmen
25-07-2012, 18:18
vargulfs, the terrorghiest is nice but it can be shot easy and its only save is a 6+ regen, and if what people say in CC it sucks. Vargulfs can atleast be counted on due to regen and hatred.

meowser
25-07-2012, 21:15
Given how top-heavy your army is for 1500pts (lord and 3 heroes!; ~33% of your pts), I'd definitely go for the dual varghulf. At 2500 I take dual varghulf and terrorgheist :)

Moss
25-07-2012, 23:07
Yeah, you need the CC power of the varghulfs in this army.

Also, like meowser said your list has a lot invested in heroes. I would rework it a bit, shifting some of those points into more bodies.

piperrepip
25-07-2012, 23:46
master necromancer 230
talisman of preservation
master of the dead

wight king 130
sword of strife
enchanted shield

necromancer 100
cursed book

skeletons 120
24x5