PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Spartan Assault Vehicle?

conscriptboris
25-07-2012, 13:03
Hi all,

Ive been looking at the SAV, and wondered in the light of 6th what public opinion was on purchasing the LR on steriods at 295pts? I plan to use it in my BA for DC, also CSM army for the likes of Bezerkers!

My club allows FW in games and tournies, and I know Warp hunters and Necrons tomb wraiths are on route, and I thought of the SAV as a good addition to my pwr armour forces.

My likes, up to 25 capacity, good weapons, anti veh or inf, 5 hull points!, however is this worth 295 in a 2000pt army?

Cheers,

Elvis

mughi3
25-07-2012, 13:47
playtested it a bit myself. silly fun and doesn't go critical like the terminus ultra when you fire the lascannons.

Way to expensive for a single wound model even with the extra hullpoint and ceramite armor option. i ended up using a doomhammer in my army instead. came out a mere 50 points more compared to how i had the spartan kitted out.

carldooley
25-07-2012, 14:11
i ended up using a doomhammer in my army instead. came out a mere 50 points more compared to how i had the spartan kitted out.

400 points for the thing? a couple of the people in my gaming group were playtesting it, and they were less than enthused. especially after they got to use puppet master on their opponents. . .

conscriptboris
25-07-2012, 16:08
@Mughi3: Doomhammer?

Lots of possibilities go through my mind deploying this vehicle, but as suggested, as soon as a unit hits over 250pts it seems hard to justify in non apocalypse armies, cheers for the opinions!

Elvis

Vaktathi
25-07-2012, 16:21
Personally, I think it's an unnecessary resurrection of something that was amalgamated into the concept of the Land Raider looooooong ago and should have been left as a pre-heresy relic where it belonged :p

As a playable unit? Eh, it'll still likely die too fast to really justify it's use for those kind of points.

tuo
25-07-2012, 16:22
Playtested it myself in a Chaos army.
The vehicle is fun to use, especially in larger battles where one can compensate the loss of such an expensive vehicle. But like most rules from FW in the past, they tend to be too expensive when it comes to pure point costs (same - imho - with most configurations of the Decimator).

Use it for fun, it will work like intended, and won't mean instant loss against a more "balanced" army. It might be the game winner in one game, and the opposite in the next.

Then again: the model itself is awesome. I love the RT era Land Raiders, but never dared to open my still sealed box. Now I have two FW RT Land Raiders plus the Spartan in my Chaos Army (plus the old style Predator) and it looks awesome!

regards

tuo

magriller
25-07-2012, 16:36
Like pretty much all of the land raiders, they are over priced. I do have one though 'cause they are cool :D

It hasn't graced the battlefield yet 'cause the tracks don't fit correctly :(

agurus1
25-07-2012, 19:47
It looks beastly and has "Spartan" in it's name, that's reason enough right? Not to mention an actual transport for those 20 man chaos space marine squads lol

The Betrayer
26-07-2012, 02:09
I've bought two for my Blood Angels, just for the hell of it. I will say this it is a really good figure to put together till you get to the track's, they are a pig to put on and i found i had to cut one link out on one side and half a link the other, but when it's together and stood proud in front of you, you wont care about the points cost they are awesome!
146408 146409

mughi3
26-07-2012, 11:55
@Mughi3: Doomhammer?

Lots of possibilities go through my mind deploying this vehicle, but as suggested, as soon as a unit hits over 250pts it seems hard to justify in non apocalypse armies, cheers for the opinions!

Elvis
i play in a group where everything is fair game, GW makes it-we play with it. so it is not uncommon to see my buddies tigershark hit the table or barbed heridules, a corsair eldar list from IA11 and so forth. i had a very nice IA10 salamanders themed seige army with brey'arth, a bunch of dreads and an achillies. lots of fun to play in 5th, will never see the table in 6th again because of hull points. i play tested it a bunch when the new book came out and i pretty well got tabled every game.

The problem with the spartan is that sure it can carry 20 guys but your exposing yourself to fire being out of cover. the extra hull point really isn't enough to justify it's cost. i tried using mine as a fire support platform and hiding in cover. after all the upgrades and putting chronus in it it was to darn expensive and it still died just as easy as a regular land raider even trying to hug cover. for an extra 50 points i can take something with 9 hull points, still carry 20 guys (with 10 fire points, so i can protect it from assaults) from different squads, open topped for embarking/diembarking. is less threatened by haywire or entropic strike, far less likely to suffer instant death, has alot more range with the main gun, and all that for an extra few points, a little bit worse shooting BS and a few less weapons overall...good trade in my book.

P.S. i should note we are not playing an apocalyse game, this is a normal game using the superheavy detachment rules-we also do not use apacalypse D weapon rules instead going back to the original "made for 40K" weapon rules that exhisted before they created "D" weapons for apocalypse in IA1 and so forth. it makes superheavies far less scary and alot more manageable to play in normal games.
I.E.-the dreaded turbo laser goes from the- 5" D template- back to the- 3" S9 AP2 template.

conscriptboris
26-07-2012, 12:09
ah roger, was a bit confused, however I do like that take on it! I would like my club to take on every aspect of GW and FW, I like the superheavy detachment rules, also the custom D modifier. I believe it creates such variety that its hard to create a dominating list that survive every eventuality!

cheers gents, looks like im buying one for fun :)

Elvis

tuo
28-07-2012, 16:57
Like pretty much all of the land raiders, they are over priced. I do have one though 'cause they are cool :D

It hasn't graced the battlefield yet 'cause the tracks don't fit correctly :(

Heyho,

same for me, though I built them in a different order than in the "manual". The forward bottom tracks were exactly ONE track piece too long. Removed one track piece, and everything fit like it should.

Mabe this helps. Then again I don't know which trouble I would have faced if I started building the tracks with the one piece that is too long to begin with (like described in the manual)! It has to be an oversight by FW, they added exactly one link too much.

Then again, on mine, the body was warped in a way that not even a hot air pistol could resolve anything. Result is that the right part at the front is 1mm further out than the left part (in width, not in length, which would be awful). After some green stuff work and painting, nobody but me realized it till today.

I regularly use the Spartan either is a "true Spartan" or as a regular Land Raider for my command squad of Word Bearers, when I am playing just for fun. I love the look of that thing on the table!

regards

tuo