PDA

View Full Version : daemons mini dex

Narf
26-07-2012, 17:14
just seen the new white dwarf, seems the updates for 6th start now, there is a mini dex included to update some units, some points and a few new units all together.

highlights,

flamers get 2 wounds an cost less, can have bigger units
some form of slaneshi combine harvester chariot

for warhammer u can now use the soul grinder in fantasy

discuss an enjoy

Erazmus_M_Wattle
26-07-2012, 17:17
It's been the topic of discussion for quite a few days now. Needless to say the reactions have been somewhat mixed.

I love everything I've seen so far. The few meagre units of daemons I have may need to become an army now. :)

Murphey
26-07-2012, 18:45
Which issue of White Dwarf is this, by the way?

Vsurma
26-07-2012, 20:18
Which issue of White Dwarf is this, by the way?

August issue

Lord Damocles
26-07-2012, 20:24
I do wonder who looked at the Daemons codex and decided that Flamers, of all things, needed buffing...

unknown_lifeform
26-07-2012, 20:44
When I first heard the rumours of this I was sceptical as it hasn't really been GWs modus operandi to change rules for units outside of a full codex so I'm interested what this might mean for the future. Along with the more frequent FAQ updates it sounds like GW may be moving towards becoming slightly more responsive rather than just saying "here's your codex, like it or lump it until we redo it".

Does anyone know if the rules will become available on their website later? What happened with the blood angels and sisters white dwarf codexes? Or is it typically a case of if you miss the white dwarf when its available you can't access the full rules for your army?

Lord Damocles
26-07-2012, 20:47
Does anyone know if the rules will become available on their website later? What happened with the blood angels and sisters white dwarf codexes? Or is it typically a case of if you miss the white dwarf when its available you can't access the full rules for your army?
Blood Angels got a PDF eventually. Sisters... not so much.

I'd guess rules changes (eg. Flamers) will be WD only to encourage sales, while rules additions (eg. Combines) will find their way to the website to drive model sales.

sprugly
26-07-2012, 21:33
Just as an aside, has the stormtalon rules been published online yet?
Sprugly

Cheeslord
26-07-2012, 21:50
Like others, I have ambivalent feelings about this. plus side - codices can get fixed on the fly, new units turn up for my armies more often than every 6 years - bad side: I have to buy WD and will end up with a folder full of cut-outs, photocopies, mini-booklets etc. to represent my army rules.

Mark.

Ulrig
27-07-2012, 00:55
Is the WD out yet?

Chem-Dog
27-07-2012, 01:28
Like others, I have ambivalent feelings about this. plus side - codices can get fixed on the fly, new units turn up for my armies more often than every 6 years - bad side: I have to buy WD and will end up with a folder full of cut-outs, photocopies, mini-booklets etc. to represent my army rules.

Mark.

I know what you mean, but if they stick to this separate booklet format, it's a minor trial I'm willing to endure.

I should be more excited about this release, not least because, as a Slaanesh player, I'm getting two new models/units. As anything GW not everybody's going to love them, I think the models are all right (and I can certainly see the Exhalted model getting converted for any number of non-Daemon projects) but, for some reason they don't grab me like they should have.

Perhaps my malaise, rather fittingly, is caused by the Plaguebearers and Nurglings, which I think are fantastic. Nothing about those models fails to impress and they are the first Deamons released since they became a separate faction, bar the Fiends, that have managed to entirely capture everything I would expect of them.

Strangely, I think the paint jobs in all four cases are influential in how I've taken to them, the Slaanesh stuff lacks any real definition and blends into one big mess of purple and pink, whereas the Nurgle stuff has some nice contrasts and manages to suggest disease whilst staying bright.

Anyway, Brother Muninn posted some nice screen caps of the models --> Linky (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?347703-New-Daemons-images!&p=6342263&viewfull=1#post6342263) So have a look for yourself if you haven't seen 'em already.

Grocklock
27-07-2012, 06:30
Does anyone know if the rules will become Available on their website later? What happened with the blood angels and sisters white dwarf codexes? Or is it typically a case of if you miss the white dwarf when its available you can't access the full rules for your army?

I think it is now a case if u want the rules for free then u need to get the white dwarf. But the current trend seams to be after this it will have to be paid for.
The reason why I call it free is in the same light as when u buy a comic they used to come with a free gift now and again. U still get your stranded comic but you get a free aditional product.
If u don't want to buy the white dwarf then wait till GW put it up to buy as a document. The only time it will be free is if u buy the white dwarf.

The Muffin Man
27-07-2012, 07:09
Some great new models and rules, although I am disapointed they didn't tweak the entire codex.

Also does anyone know if you can put a Herald on an Exalted Chariot of Slaanesh?

the_picto
27-07-2012, 08:46
I think it is now a case if u want the rules for free then u need to get the white dwarf. But the current trend seams to be after this it will have to be paid for.
The reason why I call it free is in the same light as when u buy a comic they used to come with a free gift now and again. U still get your stranded comic but you get a free aditional product.
If u don't want to buy the white dwarf then wait till GW put it up to buy as a document. The only time it will be free is if u buy the white dwarf.

The problem is that they are only selling them to Ipad owners. Unless they update the printed copy, someone who starts daemons in 6 months isn't going to have the proper rules unless they can track down a 6 month old copy of white dwarf or own an Ipad. The new rules for the flamers and screamers should be added to an errata at the very least as that's a rules update, the rules for the chariots they should put on the site as a pdf to encourage people to buy them. I'd like to get a stonehorn, but I missed the white dwarf and don't own an Ipad, so that's 30ish that GW won't be getting.

ChrisMurray
27-07-2012, 13:14
Also does anyone know if you can put a Herald on an Exalted Chariot of Slaanesh?

My WD is at home, but from memory I'm almost certain that you can.

The new models are great, and I really love the new paint style for nurgle rather than the dark green they used to do them.

Bubble Ghost
27-07-2012, 13:27
All I can say is that if a Seeker chariot is a "vehicle" while in contrast a Dreadknight is a "creature", I don't know which way is up any more.:D

Narf
27-07-2012, 18:01
to be honest i can see this being the way eveyone gets Flakk missiles, as well as some other updates.

Also its a good way to do some mini releases, such as SW characters etc

Nymie_the_Pooh
28-07-2012, 01:09
I'm glad it was an included pamphlet instead of part of the White Dwarf itself. I remember the end of third edition when just about every White Dwarf had a rules update where newer issues trumped older ones and people would bring multiple issues to each game as they were only considered official if you had the issue with you when you played. It wasn't a problem if playing at home or at a friend's place, but playing in a store meant adding half a dozen mags (or more) to your stuff you had to lug around with you if you wanted to use the latest rules. Most of it would get collected annually as a Chapter Approved supplement, but not all of it.

I complain about White Dwarf not having any real content (they have been getting better), but I also don't want to see it go back to that mess we had at the end of third. I think this is a nice compromise for now and look forward to seeing how it pans out for them and if they plan on doing similar things in the future.