PDA

View Full Version : 21 Year Old Running for Mayor

Jormi_Boced
26-07-2012, 18:23
There is a guy that is 21 running for mayor in my town. I don't think he will probably win the election, but there is a poll on the local paper asking people who they would vote for. He is in second now and I think it would be cool if he won.

http://www.austindailyherald.com/2012/07/25/poll-who-will-you-vote-for-mayor/

BigbyWolf
26-07-2012, 18:27
That's nuthin'- I'm from Hartlepool, our mayor is a guy in a monkey suit.:p:yes:

x-esiv-4c
26-07-2012, 19:11
It's Minnesota. No one cares.

Malorian
26-07-2012, 19:18
It's about time that leadership isn't only granted to those going grey.

blackcherry
26-07-2012, 20:05
Good. The UK has a very young MP (early 20s) and I see no reason why an old guy (who probably has little experience in politics) has more right than someone younger who may, realistically, have the same amount of experience as the elder runner.

Younger people may start engaging in politics again if they feel they have a candidate who will listen to them.

Jormi_Boced
26-07-2012, 23:26
It is a pretty old town overall, so most or our elected officials are at least 50.

DarthSte
27-07-2012, 12:16
London has Boris Johnson - I have more respect for Hartlepool in the electing of Mayors.

Bombot
27-07-2012, 12:41
Good. The UK has a very young MP (early 20s) and I see no reason why an old guy (who probably has little experience in politics) has more right than someone younger who may, realistically, have the same amount of experience as the elder runner.

Younger people may start engaging in politics again if they feel they have a candidate who will listen to them.

I would never want to prevent this sort of thing from happening, but on the whole I think more, not less, experience outside of politics would be a good thing.

Aun'aart'al
27-07-2012, 23:29
there's a town in Alaska who's mayor is a cat (as in, meow purr purr purr) and has kept the office for over a decade

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/17/us/alaska-cat-mayor/index.html).

Dylius
28-07-2012, 16:53
there's a town in Alaska who's mayor is a cat (as in, meow purr purr purr) and has kept the office for over a decade

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/17/us/alaska-cat-mayor/index.html).

I'd vote for him.

nagash66
29-07-2012, 15:40
I'd vote for him.

:yes: Stubbs for governor!

biggreengribbly
31-07-2012, 00:17
Cats have known they rule the world for generations. It's nice to see some people finally acknowledging the supremacy of their feline masters :D

inq.serge
31-07-2012, 20:47
I quite sceptic of a mayor that young.

I remember seeing a debate hosted at my former school. One of the debaters was like 17-19 or something, which pissed off a friend of mine (Who also belonged to the opposing party). And I see why, and agree with him, 'cause you know, A kid who barely finished school and never drudged, slogged or plod in his entire life should not come talk labor market policies with us drudges.

DarthSte
01-08-2012, 08:24
I quite sceptic of a mayor that young.

I remember seeing a debate hosted at my former school. One of the debaters was like 17-19 or something, which pissed off a friend of mine (Who also belonged to the opposing party). And I see why, and agree with him, 'cause you know, A kid who barely finished school and never drudged, slogged or plod in his entire life should not come talk labor market policies with us drudges.

Sometimes a fresh view point can make a world of difference though.

BigbyWolf
01-08-2012, 10:45
Sometimes a fresh view point can make a world of difference though.

Agreed. Experience isn't everything. Even someone young can be very knowledgable on a subject.

Mage
02-08-2012, 16:30
Contrary to some of the above posters, I think a young candidate has the potential to be a good thing. While completely valid points were made against this by other forum members, I think having someone more optimistic who hasn't had the life kicked out of him by decades of working can bring a fresh perspective, vigor, and more positive ideals to a political front. Furthermore, you don't know this individual, he could be quite intelligent, and as politics has shown in various countries (at least low level politics) many people elected aren't all that smart, at least not as smart as they should be at what they run for. I hope he gets it.