PDA

View Full Version : Star Lance and Great Weapon

NitrosOkay
28-07-2012, 04:34
Magical weapons must be used when possible instead of mundane weapons. Special weapons must be used instead of hand weapons when possible.

High Elf Prince with the Star Lance uses its magical lance in the first round of combat.

In the second round of combat Lances cannot be used according to the lance rules, you must switch to your hand weapon.

Your hand weapon cannot be used if you have a great weapon, so the Prince would switch to his mundane great weapon?

Is this right?

Lance Tankmen
28-07-2012, 05:31
no, the lance is still a magic weapon. normal lances cant be used 2nd round.

brets have something with lances.

otherwise no, you cant use the great weapon if you have a magic weapon

NitrosOkay
28-07-2012, 06:16
Lances period can't be used in the second and subsequent rounds from what I'm reading? High Elves aren't Brettonians.

Lance Tankmen
28-07-2012, 07:22
true lances.... but when you put the "magical" infront of lance its used for every attack. because its still a magic weapon, and you always use magic weapons.

as to my poorly placed bretonnian reply, they will use a mundane lance in the first round then use a magic weapon, but if they have a magic lance then they keep using it in every round of combat after the first charge, then again bret lance confer things beyond the first round of close combat, like flaming attack.

T10
28-07-2012, 07:30
That is not correct: If the item's description says "lance" plus some other abilities, then it combaines the rules for lances with those other abilities.

theunwantedbeing
28-07-2012, 17:54
Is this right?

Untill an Errata say's otherwise, yes.
Seeing as lances are never used in rounds where the bearer did not charge, even magical ones.

Note you cannot use a magical lance while on foot, so if you lose your mount then you would be forced to always use the great weapon.

Soundwave
28-07-2012, 17:55
That is not correct: If the item's description says "lance" plus some other abilities, then it combaines the rules for lances with those other abilities.
I will back this up as i use caledors bane vs lizardmen with my D.E and even though my lord or hero choice character is technically using a lance the magical close combat weapon rule of i am using this one kicks in...

Lance Tankmen
28-07-2012, 19:43
well then my mistake :angel:

Soundwave
29-07-2012, 04:31
Perfectly understandable the rules do contradict one another...

The bearded one
29-07-2012, 05:58
This would've been so much simpeler if they had not included that blurp of "lance cannot be used after charging, reverts to handweapon instead", and just done it like flails and such; lance grants +2 str when charging, end of story. That 'revert to handweapon' bussines creates all kinds of trouble with magical lances.

On one hand the lance rules state they must be discarded after the charging in favour of a handweapon, but on the other hand rules for magic weapons state that "he's sure as sunrise going to use it!" (but without getting a strengthbonus on turns he did not charge, of course).