PDA

View Full Version : While stock lasts plastic kits?

Tayrod
28-07-2012, 14:23
So why is the new slaanesh chariot while stock lasts? Is this a mistake?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod1630125a

-DE-
28-07-2012, 14:29
It's just a bundle of two chariots with two extra-large bases. You can build the model from two regular chariot kits. It's not like you even get a saving, except maybe if those two large bases are in addition to four standard ones.

The bearded one
28-07-2012, 18:02
That kit contains 2 of the smaller chariot kits, and the instructions and necessary large sized (100x150mm) bases.

However, the smaller, seperate chariot kits contain those instructions as well.

From the descriptions on the site, the only difference between 1 "limited kit" and 2 "normal" kits, is that the limited kit contains a 100x150mm base, while the normal kits contain 50x100mm kits. It is not said wether the limited kit contains the smaller bases as well.

So in short, they are almost identical in contents, price and instructions, but contain different bases. I assume the bigger kit is intended mostly just to be a bit helpful (along with feeling like a prestige purchase by virtue of being limited).

Tayrod
28-07-2012, 19:42
Ah right! Nice to know, it had me worried for a moment :) Thanks guys

Metacarpi
01-08-2012, 13:03
According to the staff at my local GW, apparently there's an extra sprue full of bit in the limited set that you don't get through buying two chariot kits seperately.

I'm somewhat dubious of this, because surely that's something that would be made clear on the site/WD, but it would go some way to explaining why it's a limited release.

Rahz
01-08-2012, 15:06
According to the staff at my local GW, apparently there's an extra sprue full of bit in the limited set that you don't get through buying two chariot kits seperately.

I'm somewhat dubious of this, because surely that's something that would be made clear on the site/WD, but it would go some way to explaining why it's a limited release.

Seeing as the Exalted Seeker of Slaanesh is listed as having 192 components and the Seeker Chariot box has 96 components I think other than the bases, there's no difference.

Geep
02-08-2012, 08:03
It takes a lot to make a plastic kit- many need to be sold to make the investment of even a single sprue mould worthwhile. I very much doubt there'll ever be a truly limited release plastic kit or sprue.

wilsonian
02-08-2012, 08:27
Space hulk was made of plastic and was a Ltd run.

BTJ
02-08-2012, 08:51
Space hulk was made of plastic and was a Ltd run.

Yes, of 100,000. Enough to cover the cost of the moulds, which were expensive. Also, they knew it would sell well. A regular unit as a limited run plastic though? Too expensive for the moulds and no guarantee they'll sell. I reckon Dreadfleet would have given them second thoughts about it too. One of my LGSs still has 3 of the five he ordered, the other has like thirty left, and it's the biggest game store in Ireland.

Metacarpi
02-08-2012, 09:27
Seeing as the Exalted Seeker of Slaanesh is listed as having 192 components and the Seeker Chariot box has 96 components I think other than the bases, there's no difference.

Seems my skepticism was well placed!

jack da greenskin
02-08-2012, 17:21

Seems my skepticism was well placed!

That's a bit low of the staff to lie to try and get sales. Or they're just uninformed, because higher up wont tell them, nor give them the kits prior to release.

shelfunit.
02-08-2012, 17:27
Yes, of 100,000.

Far less than this according to most reports.

Metacarpi
03-08-2012, 08:37
That's a bit low of the staff to lie to try and get sales. Or they're just uninformed, because higher up wont tell them, nor give them the kits prior to release.

Yeah, I've known the guy who told me that a while, and he's always been a straight up kind of guy - it'd be massively out of character for him to straight up lie like that.

Maybe they haven't been told anything by the higher ups, and that's the rumour that's floating around staff? Or maybe I'm just being too generous and the staff are being leaned on heavily to shift kits.

AndrewGPaul
03-08-2012, 12:40
If you suspect such a thing, you should inform Trading Standards.

EmperorNorton
03-08-2012, 13:05
You should apply Hanlon's razor.

The bearded one
03-08-2012, 13:48
You should shave them too.

But yes, quite often one can indeed attribute things like this to stupidity (or ignorance), rather than malice. I think the staff was just uninformed about the contents. I myself recall reading somewhere something about there being a herald model in the exalted kit that wasn't in the seperate ones. I think I even saw someone mention it to be finecast. I'm pretty sure the big kit is simply the 2 smaller kits combined, with the proper base supplied for ease, but other than that it's the exact same as 2 small kits, but (shock!) also the exact same price.