PDA

View Full Version : Good High Elf units against Skaven?

Rybo5000
31-07-2012, 13:11
Hi there, I collect High Elves and my friend collects Skaven.

Neither of us have enough points yet so we're still building our armies (I have about 1500 points maybe, him even less).

Anyway, I only have ONE core unit (crazy, I know) of Seaguard.

So, what core units are best against Skaven? (or best in general?)

Zeroth
31-07-2012, 13:19
Archers? I'd stay stay out of core and focus on special/rare/hero. Spam magic missiles, you can do it well.

Spiney Norman
31-07-2012, 13:47
IMHO Spearmen are the only high elf core unit worth bringing to any fight. Backed up by a Mindrazor Mage they are also one of the scariest core units in the game. Against skaven this isn't really any different, the number of rats that will be killed by archers will be a drop in the ocean vs most skaven armies, and sea guard are too overpriced to consider in a competitive list.

Moss
31-07-2012, 20:39
Spearmen will get 20 attacks in bus formation, and probably 35 in horde formation.

They hit on 3s.
You're fighting Skaven, so you're not overly worried about high toughness. You're wounding on 4s.
Skaven aren't known for their high armor, so a high strength isn't a high priority.

Spearmen are actually pretty awesome if you ask me.

So, what core units are best against Skaven? (or best in general?)

And there, it looks like you did in fact ask me. ;)

Agoz
31-07-2012, 22:27
Against mobs of cheap weak troops spearmen do well, and it just so happens thats pretty much all that skaven bring to the table aside from a few beasties and warmachines, so I'd say bring the spearmen.

Rybo5000
02-08-2012, 14:56
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll need to invest in more spearmen1

Archers? I'd stay stay out of core and focus on special/rare/hero. Spam magic missiles, you can do it well.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't have enough core units to make an army yet (got too excited buying monsters! :P)

Bladelord
03-08-2012, 14:05
I'd say Spearmen but I've always favoured them. It depends on what the rest of your list looks like.

calnen
04-08-2012, 20:30
Just to be contrary: Archers.
A low-level High Mage for arrow attraction, and your 600 points of core archers will be gutting a unit each turn. They can also pick off weapons teams, lone engineers and the dreaded Helpit with relative ease. All these things are what is actually scary about the Skaven. The blocks of 30 clanrats aren't really a threat anyway. Then fill up your whole special allowance with killy things like white lions. The number of his crappy units that reach combat is pretty much irrelevant - there's nothing in the skaven army that will beat 35 horded white lions in a straight fight.

-Totenkopf-
04-08-2012, 20:46
I say archers. Spearmen are basically the same except they get an extra rank of attacks..

Bladelord
04-08-2012, 21:11
I say archers. Spearmen are basically the same except they get an extra rank of attacks..

If you're hoarding the Archers yes, but you also forget that it's harder to maneuvre a horde & the Spearelves do have a 5+ save.

I'd say go for 50%50 with Archers & Spearelves/LSG.