PDA

View Full Version : Keeper of Secrets size difference?

TrojanWolf
03-08-2012, 01:31
Hi, I'm thinking of starting a Slaanesh Daemon army, and want to include a KoS to lead it. Thing is, the GW model is terrible while the FW one is excellent.

So, can anyone tell me whether or not the FW KoS would be too big? The site says it's 6.5" tall, which doesn't seem too bad, but would it fit on the 60mm round base? I have no idea what base it comes with.

If anyone has a picture of them side by side, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

IcedAnimals
03-08-2012, 01:34
The forgeworld model is roughly twice the size of the GW model. not including things like random arms and hair sticking out in random directions.

Lord-Caerolion
03-08-2012, 06:57
Trust me, the model is big. I think it comes with a WFB chariot base, and I doubt it'd fit on a 60mm base.

Leeman Russ
03-08-2012, 09:01
If you're not going to a strict tournament, I suspect the FW one would fit on the oval monster/flyer base?

ftayl5
03-08-2012, 09:05
My mate has both models. FW one is at least 2.5 most likely 3 times taller. It fits on a fantasy 50x50mm square base with some clever rock placement so a 60mm circle shouldn't be an issue.

Satan
03-08-2012, 09:22
The FW one fits on a big circular base. Haven't got mine close to hand, but I think I've put it on a 60mm round base...

AngelofSorrow
03-08-2012, 10:08
I have been using her for a few years now in both 40k and fantasy. She's not too big. Frankly the citadel KoS is too small. She does fit on a 60mm round and a 50mm square with no problems.

Ready for eternal war!

Commotionpotion
03-08-2012, 11:27
Zarakynel is the smallest and lightest of the FW GDs in mass, although once all the dreadlocks and claws are in place, it becomes more bulky than you'd think. These pieces on mine, which I bought secondhand, are far more flexible and rubbery than normal FW resin. This leads me to believe that they are made of Finecast - for pieces like these, I think it's actually a big improvement as regular resin would snap far too easily and be near-impossible to repair.. I bought the thing off eBay and it survived its journey to me totally intact.

It's a push to fit on a 60mm base as the span between its feet when assembled is quite wide. Ideally, for 40K it should be mounted on a big oval base like a Trygon. This will also stop other smaller models being placed too close to it by accident and getting tangled up with its dreadlocks and claws.

TrojanWolf
03-08-2012, 12:03
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I may end up taking her to a tournament, so it would likely be best to put her on a 60mm base. Given that it's resin I could probably bend the legs enough to fit it on the base if need be, or just add some rocks and such to it. If not, I could just put it on an oval base and get the regular one at a later date if I want to go to a tournament.

Satan
03-08-2012, 12:08
Those dreadlocks are a nightmare to assemble, just FYI. I broke mine up in different lengths and also had to bens them to shape with hot water. I then glued them onto each other, to her legs, etc in order to keep them from breaking.

Also, every single spike is a separate piece that you'll have to use pliers och tweezers to attach in the right place.

TrojanWolf
03-08-2012, 12:45
I'd say it'd be worth it just not having to use the regular one. As far as the spikes go, I've got the Exalted Vermin Lord too and his warpstone spikes were all separate pieces. Dunno if it's quite the same things, but probably close enough. At least I know I need to set aside a decent time period to assemble it properly, so thanks for the heads up. :)

AlphariusOmegon20
03-08-2012, 16:11
I don't think a tourney would have any issue with putting her on a large oval base. She's that big! Besides, it isn't like there's not past precedent for the same type of model getting two different sizes bases, because of size differences, and both sizes being legal (A good recent example of this is the recent WFB Empire Griffon and the IoB High Elf Griffon. Both are the same creature, but are on two different size bases and BOTH are legal sizes. A good 40K example of this would be the older metal Termie models. I think most tournies will accept the older models on 25mm's, like they used to come back in the day.)

Dangersaurus
03-08-2012, 18:32
Frankly the citadel KoS is too small.

:( If you think that's small...

All my greater daemons are so bitty! I've got the RoC ones, they fit fine on a 40mm base.

Gig
03-08-2012, 18:50
Aren't the GW greater daemons so old that they used to go on 40mm bases anyway ?

LonelyPath
03-08-2012, 19:01
Yes, I believe the current GD models were released with 40mm bases. I have all of the old RoC ones also and those are tiny, but I still prefer them to the current models.

AlphariusOmegon20
03-08-2012, 20:38
Yes, I believe the current GD models were released with 40mm bases. I have all of the old RoC ones also and those are tiny, but I still prefer them to the current models.

Post-RoC, they've always been on 50mm's as far back as I can remember, and I go back to 2nd ed.

Lord Zarkov
03-08-2012, 21:57

The current GD models long predate the 40mm round base which was released for the 3rd Ed Ork Warboss.

They used to be on 50mm square bases though - along with pretty much everything now on a 60mm.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
03-08-2012, 23:14
Post-RoC, they've always been on 50mm's as far back as I can remember, and I go back to 2nd ed.

No. The 50mm base didn't appear until around the time of the Hordes of Chaos armybook. Before that they came on a 40mm base. They did come on a square base no matter which system you used them for but the 50mm square is relatively new. Ish. Sort of. If you consider the last ten years to be recent.

Dangersaurus
04-08-2012, 01:44
No. The 50mm base didn't appear until around the time of the Hordes of Chaos armybook. Before that they came on a 40mm base. They did come on a square base no matter which system you used them for but the 50mm square is relatively new. Ish. Sort of. If you consider the last ten years to be recent.

Yep. The 40mm base (or "monster base" as they called it) has only a slightly smaller area than the current 60mm rounds.

Chem-Dog
04-08-2012, 01:49
There are some hints of new GD's in the middle to distant future (some time mid 2013 from what the rumours say). With this possibility in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if GD's generally get quite a bit bigger. Look at the Dreadknight the guy who's dedicated to fighting Greater Daemons one-on-one, he towers over them currently, it stands to reason that they should be at least as big as he is, if not bigger, and that means an oval base is likely and that the FW Keeper will not be out of place.

Draconis
04-08-2012, 02:32
Coudn't see why a FW one wouldn't be allowed. It's still the same Daemon, and he's obviously not modeling for advantage. However, it's quite huge. My Bloodthirster comes in at over 10"s tall and I dont think the Keeper is much smaller.

TrojanWolf
04-08-2012, 08:48
There are some hints of new GD's in the middle to distant future (some time mid 2013 from what the rumours say). With this possibility in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if GD's generally get quite a bit bigger. Look at the Dreadknight the guy who's dedicated to fighting Greater Daemons one-on-one, he towers over them currently, it stands to reason that they should be at least as big as he is, if not bigger, and that means an oval base is likely and that the FW Keeper will not be out of place.

Good point. I know I've got some oval bases spare, so that might just be the way to go.

Coudn't see why a FW one wouldn't be allowed. It's still the same Daemon, and he's obviously not modeling for advantage. However, it's quite huge. My Bloodthirster comes in at over 10"s tall and I dont think the Keeper is much smaller.

The FW page has the Keeper at 6.5" tall, which is quite a bit smaller. It's also considerably more lithe, although that probably doesn't matter. Also a good point about modelling, so one more point to the oval base.