PDA

View Full Version : "Elite" infantry

blurred
07-05-2006, 19:13
Inspired by the thread about chaos warriors I decided to make this thread about elite infantry. IMO infantry in general is fine as it is; static CR is a valuable tool in the battlefield. But here lies the problem of elite infantry. Static CR is too expensive and they're not effective enough in close combat to make CR with kills (well, maybe some are, but they usually cost an arm and a leg).

Panic is of course one thing that usually debunks any plan your precious elite infantry had. Seeing a 300 point unit spend one turn running and the next rallying is not pretty. At this point its usually too late to get anything done.

Cavalry. Ok, there may be serious problems in WH with cavalry overall, but elite infantry is especially vulnerable to these monsters. Low armour save with two handed weapons, no static CR and slow movement guarantee that elite infantry untis are going to see a swift death at the hands of any hard-hitting cavalry unit.

So what to do? My suggestion is that a special 'elite' status would be applied to all high-cost infantry units. The effects could vary from being immune to panic caused by non-elite units, causing fear to non-elite units (nah, don't like this that much), being able to re-roll break tests against non-elite units etc.

General opinions about elite infantry, suggestions how to make 'em better etc. welcome. :)

taer
07-05-2006, 19:28
See this thread. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33915

blurred
07-05-2006, 19:36
Ooh. Cool. I don't browse the rumours section that much. Maybe I should. Thx. :)

Neknoh
08-05-2006, 13:55
What must remembered is that several units of Elite Infantry have specialized uses, for instance, Phoenix Guard is a valuable asset when playing aggainst Undead due to the not autobreaking and often being able to kill enough zombies so that they don't break normally, however, aggainst anything else, they just not cut the cake (they hardly cut anything)

Witch Elves are infantry slaughterers, Executioners are anti armour/elite infantry/heros, Black Guards make for grindingblocks (troops that simply stay put and grind anything they are fighting into small piles of bones and flesh)

Chaos Warriors makes for extremely hitty units.

Saurii are evil, nough said.

Greatswords are Stubborn and have Full Plate Armour, what more do you need?

That's all that I can think of for now.