PDA

View Full Version : 1500pts Orcs & Goblins vs Tomb Kings

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:24
Overview
Scenario: Pitched Battle
Date Played: 17th July 2012

The Orcs & Goblins had managed a convincing victory in their first game (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?348832-1500pts-Orcs-amp-Goblins-vs-Vampire-Counts) of the day, so it was up to the Tomb Kings to try and spoil the greenskins fun...

Orcs & Goblins

Lord

[SOGS] Savage Orc Great Shaman, Level 4, Shrunken Head, ??? (???pts)

Hero

Orc Big Boss, Battle Standard Bearer, ??? (???pts)

Core

[SO] 29 Savage Orcs, Boss, Standard Bearer, Musician (???pts)
[OB] 29 Orc Boys, Shields, Boss, Standard Bearer, Musician (???pts)
[OA] 30 Orc Arrer Boys, Standard Bearer, Musician (???pts)

Special

[OC1] Orc Boar Chariot, (85pts)
[OC2] Orc Boar Chariot, (85pts)

Rare

[T1] Stone Troll, (35pts)
[T2] Stone Troll, (35pts)

Total: ~1500pts

Note: I forgot about the Orc Big Boss (BSB) when I made the maps, he basically went in the Orc Boys block all game. Also, I suspect that either the Orc Boys, or the Savage Orcs were Bigguns - but I don't remember which.

Tomb Kings

Hero

[B][TP][C] Tomb Prince, Chariot, Shield (157pts)
[LP] Liche Priest, Skeletal Steed, Level 2 (115pts)

Core

[SHA] 7 Skeletal Horse Archers, (98pts)
[C] 5 Skeletal Chariots, Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame (305pts)

Special

[NK] 3 Necrpolis Knights, Musician (205pts)
[KW] Khemrian Warsphinx, Fiery Roar (230pts)
[SS] 3 Sepulchural Stalkers, (165pts)

Rare

[N] Necrosphinx (225pts)

Total: 1500pts

Now I don't really rate the Tomb Kings at <2000pts. But as I've been playing them a lot lately I figured it was worth a try. As ever, the best way of spending the core points was on Skeletal Chariots, so from there I decided to make the rest of the army based on units that had chariot sized bases. The one concession was obviously the Skeletal Horse Archers - I had to have something to accompany my hierophant! :) I'm not really expecting much from this list - particularly not up against Orc & Goblins big hordes of infantry. But it should be fun :)

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:30
Deployment

The Tomb Kings, having such an "elite" army, managed to finish deploying first. With so many buildings around, the large footprints of the individual units was a bit of an issue. The Skeletal Chariots took up a position guarding the left flank, aided by the Khemrian Warsphinx.

Over in the centre, the Liche Priest joined his bodyguard of Skeletal Horse Archers and their right flank was guarded by the Necropolis Knights and the Necrosphinx who were hoping to sweep around the greenskins flank.

The Tomb Kings also had a unit of Sepulchural Stalkers which would deploy via the Entombed Beneath the Sands rules later.
Or would they?

The Orc Arrer Boys deployed behind the mist-wreathed swamp (again - see previous game (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?348832-1500pts-Orcs-amp-Goblins-vs-Vampire-Counts)) while the rest of the greenskin lines formed up on the centre-left of the board - pretty much ignoring the Necropolis Knights and Necropshinx.

Spells:
Savage Orc Great Shaman: The Hand of Gork, 'Eadbutt, 'Ere We Go!, Foot of Gork

Liche Priest: Khsar's Incantation of the Desert Wind, Ptra's Incantation of Righteous Smiting

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:31
Turn 1 - Orcs & Goblins

The greenskins passed all their animosity and stupidity checks and were free to move normally. However the greenskin line pretty much stayed where it was. Only the Stone Trolls and the left most chariot moved up a significant amount, hoping to provide redirects/speed bumps on the Skeletal Chariots.

In the magic phase the Savage Orc Great Shaman cast Hand of Gork on the Orc Arrer Boys. The Tomb Kings let the spell through, figuring that the Orc Arrer Boys would either be moved closer (within charge range of the Necrosphinx) or moved over to the left - either way was good for the Tomb Kings right flank. The Orcs were "teleported" over to the other side of the mist-wreathed swamp and within bow range of the Skeletal Horse Archers that were guarding the Liche Priest.

The Tomb Kings managed to dispel the rest of the spells attempted by the Savage Orc Great Shaman.

And then in the shooting phase the Orc Arrer Boys let loose their "arrers" and killed 3 of the Skeletal Horse Archers.

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:32
Turn 1 - Tomb Kings

The Necrosphinx declared a charge on the Orc Arrer Boys who had just moved within range. The greenskins opted to stand and shoot, but failed to do any damage. Then the Necropolis Knights declared the same charge and the Orc Arrer Boys fled.

In the centre, the Skeletal Horse Archers moved up to take cover behind the building, and maintaining a 12" range to the Khemrian Warsphinx and Necropolis Knights.

And out on the right the Skeletal Chariots wheeled around to face the approaching Stone Trolls hoping to use their flaming arrows to good use. The Khemrian Warsphinx moved up to maintain a battle line.

In the magic phase the greenskins were anxious to stop Ptra's Incantation of Righteous Smiting, so they let the Liche Priest cast Khsar's Incation of the Desert Wind which allowed the Khemrian Warsphinx, Necropolis Knights and Skeletal Horse Archers to move again. It also healed back the 3 dead Skeletal Horse Archers.

Then in the shooting phase the 10 archers from the Skeletal Chariots failed to get any wounds at all on the Stone Troll, and the Skeletal Light Horsemen followed up by being just as ineffective!

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:32
Turn 2 - Orcs & Goblins

The Orc Arrer Boys rallied themselves and turned back to face the Necrosphinx again.

Although the Orc infantry did start moving up this turn, it wasn't yet at full pace. However the one Stone Troll saw an opportunity to move out of the charge arc of the Khemrian Warsphinx and threaten the Skeletal Horse Archers at the same time. The other Stone Troll stomped forwards to continue to annoy the Skeletal Chariots.

The magic phase was a non-event as the winds of magic came up very low and the Savage Orc Great Shaman failed to cast his first spell of the turn.

As the Orc Arrer Boys had only just rallied there was no shooting this turn so it was straight into Tomb Kings turn 2.

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:33
Turn 2 - Tomb Kings

The Tomb Kings right flank hadn't made enough progress yet to commit the Skeletal Chariots to anything - and the Stone Trolls were proving to be a real pain by getting in the way! So the only charge this turn was the Necrosphinx charged the Orc Arrer Boys who elected to stand and shoot - but again failed to do any wounds to the high toughness monster.

The Sepulchural Stalkers had their first opportunity to show up and, potentially, take out a Stone Troll with their petrifying gaze ability. But as is usually the case when you need to roll a 3+ on a D6, it came up a 2!

The Skeletal Horse Archers couldn't move far enough away from the Stone Troll to get out of it's charge arc - the unit loses it's fast cavalry abilities while the Liche Priest is with them. So they had to take their chances and hope the Tomb Kings bow fire could do better than it had the previous turn.
You'll also notice that the Necropolis Knights turned to start paying some attention on the Orc infantry in the centre of the board, hoping for a combo-charge with the Skeletal Chariots in a later turn.

Over on the left, the Khemrian Warsphinx turned to face the Stone Troll - to give it the option of using it's breath weapon if it was needed. The Skeletal Chariots then made a bit of a blunder - I had wanted to turn/swift-reform them to shoot down the closest Stone Troll, but completely forgot and instead moved them sideways 4" :o

The magic phase wasn't very productive as the Savage Orc Great Shaman proved too powerful as he dispelled everything the Liche Priest attempted.

In the shooting phase the Tomb Kings were forced to split their firepower between the two Stone Trolls, and once again failed to a single wound to either model!

Then it came down to the first combat of the game. The Necropshinx killed 4 of the Orc Arrer Boys (including thunderstomp attacks) and took 1 wound in return. It had won the combat, but the Orc Arrer Boys were steadfast and held their ground.

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:33
Turn 3 - Orcs & Goblins

The Stone Troll closest to the Skeletal Horse Archers declared, and completed, a charge in order to take out the Liche Priest.

The other Stone Troll moved up to get out of the charge arc of the Skeletal Chariots - it was obviously fed up of being used as a living pin-cushion. The rest of the greenskins line moved up to start closing in on the Tomb Kings units.

In the magic phase the Savage Orc Great Shaman cast Foot of Gork. Knowing what the spell was capable of, the Liche Priest prepared to roll every dice available at it - but the greenskins rolled a double 6 :eek: So we resolved the spell:

First this...

Then this...

And then this...

By now the Tomb Prince is dead, so we roll for the curse and the Savage Orc Great Shaman takes a single wound - he obviously took the wound on behalf of Gork!

Then the spell carried on again, putting a total of 5 wounds on the Necropolis Knights (not pictured as I ran out of pics for this post sorry!). The spell finally stopped.

In combat the Necrosphinx suffered two wounds from the Orc Arrer Boys, but it managed to inflict 7 in return. It had won the combat again, but the Orc Arrer Boys passed their test to combat reform to give themselves more ranks.

Then came the final straw. The Stone Troll that had survived two rounds of shooting and made it into combat with the Skeletal Horse Archers managed to kill the Liche Priest but took 1 wound in return (the Skeletal Horse Archers are obviously better in combat than at shooting :)). Combat resolution saw 2 Skeletal Horse Archers crumble into a pile of inanimate bones.

However it was then time to roll for crumbling and the Tomb Kings fast cavalry fell apart.

With no characters left on the board, and Skeletal Chariots and Necropolis Knights severely weakened it was time to call the game!

Game over - victory to the Orcs (& Goblins - via proxy!)

tarrym
06-08-2012, 11:34
Post Battle Thoughts

Orcs & Goblins

Tomb Kings
So my list wasn't intended to be that serious, and in the end the increased base sizes were my undoing. Even if it scattered, the Foot of Gork spell was hitting my Skeletal Chariots over and over and there was nothing I could do about it.

I probably could have played a little smarter with the units I had. I have this tendency to spread them out too much instead of focusing on one part of my enemy's lines. Something to try and keep in mind in future.

This was the first game where I had brought along some Sepulchural Stalkers - and they didn't even get deployed on the board. I have to say, the fact that EBtS is mandatory is a little frustrating in the new Tomb Kings book. I definitely preferred it when it was optional.

When all is said and done, I managed to lose a game against 2 models - a Savage Orc Great Shaman, and a Stone Troll :)

SevenSins
12-08-2012, 08:40
Ouch, beaten by two models ;-)