PDA

View Full Version : PunBusters (Fantasy section)

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 09:15
Hello everybody,

as you know the whole Games Workshop created background is riddled with puns etc. While some of these puns are (often painfully) obvious, others are not that easy to spot. So I'd like (after asking at the helpdesk first) to set up this thread to try to crack these puns to understand them and to include them into a list of puns/ easter eggs, whatever you want to name it like here: http://whfb.lexicanum.de/wiki/Easter_eggs
(at the moment the explanations are in German, translation to English planned next, once a final structure has been established)

So here in post 1 will be listed the unsolved ones - once they have been "solved" or explained I will move them to post 2 where an alphabetical list of the already included puns will be found. You can also submit new puns (not self-made ones, only official background!) here, but be warned that I will report any and all spam attempts to the moderators.

A parallel thread was created in the 40K section for those puns and easter eggs: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?349114-PunBusters-%2840K-section%29&p=6362835#post6362835

To solve/ suspected puns:
- Ashrog
- Richard the Righteous

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 09:44
Already listed puns/ easter eggs (see linked-to Lexicanum article for explanations):

Abasko Mountains
Acrylan
Aer Dressair
Akai
Akanslai
Alcatani Fellowship
Aldente
Alfeo Romeo
Ans'l
Aquitaine
Arnie Slicernecker
Asarnil
Asigawa
Atachi

Barathome
Bearmen of Urslo
Benhur
Beorg Bearstruck
Betrand le Brigand
Biggulz
Bilbali
Birdmen of Catrazza
Bog End
Bordeleaux
Borgio the Besieger
Bowmen of Bergerac
Brasthof
Bretonnia

Cappo Cinno
Carcassonne
Châlons
Ciabbatta
Clarissa Lohft
Cochecu
Couronne
Cupah Coco

Da Happy Plunderer
Daddallo
Dan D'Archer
Danby
Dread Indy Babylon

Elodir
Enzo Ferrante
Estalia

Felix Mann
Fernando Pirazzo
Filthy Harald
Forrest of Dean
Fujima

Ginsmytiple
Gobbo Flaque
Gorgon's Ola
Gossippa Lotta
Grim-Loq
Groggo
Grundy
Gui le Gros

Heatov the Knight
Heinrich Kemmler
Hogchops
Honda Susuki
Hugo le Petit
Hytecs

Imrik
Irrana
Itzadeodl
Izitzso

Justintine of Varenna

Klaus Gurtelrose
Kopaketl
Kroak

L'Anguille
Lahmia
Larkin of the Tree
Leonardo da Miragliano
Leopold's Leopard Company
Long Drong
Louen Leoncoeur
Loxley Barrett
Lucrezzia Belladonna
Luthor Huss
Lyonesse

Magritta
Maldred
Marco Colombo
Maximilian Damark
Maymankil
Mengil Manhide
Mikael Jacsen
Miragliano
Mo'rcck
Montemazda
Motta Zorella
Mydas
Mylkbeotl

Nafal Muq
Nagajima
Neferata
Nigel of Bordchester
Nissan
Nitto
Nonucci
Nord of Cleethorpes

Odarlin
Orco

Parravon
Phraz-Etar
Piaza Pizzaro
Piece de Resistance

Quenelles

Rasut
Remas and Remo
Rifraffa
Rodentenland
Roughneck Ricco

Sansui Lee
Sanyo Kawasaki
Settra
Slambo
Soketume
Strogg
Stylinn Coam
Sukiyaki the Incrutable
Sven Hasselfrisian
Sytton De Fence

Thanxaleotl
The Magnificent Sven
Tiktaq'To
Tilea
Tintorezzi
Toshiba Iron-Hide
Toyota
Tynn Khan

Urslo

Vanhel (aka Van/ von Hal/ Hel)
Vanhir
Varenna
Vigor mortis
Villa Vennia, Villa Vedia, Vittoria Viccia
Vim-to
Vlad von Carstein
Voltsvagn

Wotalotabeotl

Xholankha
Xtinki

Yoccan

Zapotec
Zaragoz
Zipanzuma

laribold
07-08-2012, 09:51
- Soketume = Possibly 'Sock it to me' (as in 'Hit me with it')

[edit: misunderstood first post]

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 09:54
Thank you laribold.

The "To locate/ where is this alleged pun from:" means that I understood the pun but that I don't have an official source to include it in the list, but thanks anyway :)

@Soketume: great! :) That's definitely an expression that as a non-native speaker I didn't know!

jedideinos
07-08-2012, 10:29
I've always understood the lizardmen names were puns, as follows. If you're wondering how I get ch from x, in the greek alphabet, the letters ch are one letter, chi, written as X, and pronounced as k (although some say ch).

Kopaketl: Copper Kettle. Oddly enough, a local pub/brewery bears this name.

Xilipeppa: Chilli pepper

Ximnipot: Chimney pot

Xokibiki: Choccy biccy, short for chocolate biscuit.

Teneuini: Teeny-weeny, as in small and weak/useless.

EDIT: I can't explain where the GW writers got the names from, beyond just being a joke.

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 10:30
@jedideinos: same to you: The "To locate/ where is this alleged pun from:" means that I understood the pun but that I don't have an official source to include it in the list, but thanks anyway :) I changed the formulation in the start post a bit to make this clearer.

Jennifer
07-08-2012, 10:36
- Von Sapponatheim "Once upon a time"

- Slaan al Din "Saladin"

- Kopaketl "Copper kettle"

- Xilipeppa "Chilli pepper"

- Ximnipot "Chimney pot"

- Xokibiki "Chocky Bicky" - aka chocolate biscuit

- Teneuini "Teeny weeny" - this is a skink, yes?

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 10:39
I now removed the section with "understood pun but mssing source as this really seemed to confuse all posters...

Lord Solar Plexus
07-08-2012, 11:45
van Hel: Van Helsing?

Luthor Huss: conglomerate of Martin Luther and Jan Hus

Felix Mann: lost brother of Thomas and Heinrich. Or perhaps I'm just making that one up.

Karl Franz: Franz Karl of Austria? His father's full name was Franz Joseph Karl. I've always suspected they did not have as many names back then as we have today thanks to the internet.

I've always understood the lizardmen names were puns, as follows. If you're wondering how I get ch from x, in the greek alphabet, the letters ch are one letter, chi, written as X, and pronounced as k (although some say ch).

Chi/X was historically and in Greek pronounced like the German ch, not as k; example Christos. It's called a glottal fricative. The letter k is kappa, as in the Greek transcription of Caesar (kaisar / Γαιον Τουλιον Γαιου υιον Καισαρα...).

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 11:51
@Lord Solar Plexus: could you give some indication from where in the background (the more obscure one like Felix Mann for example) you took them? Otherwise thanks, will work on them later :)

Lord Hjamlar
07-08-2012, 12:18
Beorg Bearstruck - werebear from Hobbit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beorn
Fernando Pirazzo- famous conquistadore Pizzaro
Leonardo de Miraglino - famous inventor/painter/etc. Mr. da Vinci
Marco Colombo - Columbus, the guy who called Americans Indians
Lucrezzia Belladonna - Belladonna - italian for beautiful woman, Ludrezzia Borgia, daugther Of the infamous pope. It's rumored that she liked poisons

Just a few fast ones...

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 12:21
Thanks Lord Hjamlar, but all of them are already in the list. But good for the Beorn reference.

Jedi152
07-08-2012, 12:33
Lucrezzia Belladonna - Belladonna - italian for beautiful woman, Ludrezzia Borgia, daugther Of the infamous pope. It's rumored that she liked poisons

Atropa belladonna is also the Latin name for deadly nightshade.

hellharlequin
07-08-2012, 12:34

belladonna also is a poisonous plant

Scalebug
07-08-2012, 12:53
A lot of the Lizardmen ones are originally from the 5th ed armybook (1995). There were some punny names when the army was called "Slann" in 3rd edition, mostly playing with Mayan and Incan names, but with the re-boot of them as "Lizardmen" the silly ones reallo started (Itsibitsi etc).

Just one thing that caught my sceptic eye on your list there; Imrik, source for that? While, sure, it could be a pun on "I am Rick", Ol' Ockham would probably suggest that it is simply an elven sounding name in the style started by Tolkien...

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 12:59
@Scalebug: there are no sources for references in most cases as there are no statements of the authors. That's why there is a warning above the whole thing that says that basically in the best case it's a speculation and not at all to be taken as official. We just collect different ideas of what could have been the references or puns behind it.

Arbedark
07-08-2012, 13:25
"Birdmen of Cattrazza (especially the Cattrazza part)" - Most likely a reference to Robert Stroud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Stroud), AKA "The Birdman of Alcatraz"

Lord Solar Plexus
07-08-2012, 13:31
van Hel is the inventor of a dance that's all the rage in Sylvania (VC AB). Luthor Huss is a Sigmarite Warrior Priest of considerable reknown (Empire AB). Felix Mann is a master thief, who in the VC AB steals Vlad von Carstein's ring of resurrection, and I gather he's the same guy as in the Grotrek and Felix book series. Karl Franz, well, you know that guy.

Funny that no-one has gone into the TK names. I would expect them to be a gold mine.

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 13:41
Funny that no-one has gone into the TK names. I would expect them to be a gold mine.
I had one AB Tomb Kings lying around in which I read from time to time, but apart from Clarissa Lohft I did not spot that much so far.

Dwane Diblie
07-08-2012, 13:45
Hugo le Petit - Huge the Small. A take on Little John along with
Bertrand the Brigand, Gui le Gros and the Bowmen of Bergerac.

Morgiana le Fay - Morgan Le Fay (The Fairy) of Arthurian Legend

There is also the misterious magical Island of Albion which I am sure is supose to be a take on Avalon which is of course the British Isles.

Of the realms of the world:
Kislev - Slavik countrys
The Empire - Germany
Bretonnia - France under English Rule
Estalia - Spain
Talia - Italy
Araby - North Africa
Southlands - Africa
Ind - India
Cathay - China
Nippon - Japan
Naggaroth - North America
Lustria - South America
Ulthuan - Atlantis

Not sure if that is the kind of stuff you are looking for but hey it's there.

Dryaktylus
07-08-2012, 13:49
Sven Hasselfrisian

He appeared in 2nd edition in the scenario "The Magnificent Sven" with his boat "Voltsvagn".

Btw., should we include weird/silly translations too? Like L'Anguille or Klaus Gurtelrose?

Lord Solar Plexus
07-08-2012, 14:09
Haha, *Fahrvergnügen*...

What about the Corpse Cart's power Vigor Mortis? That's clearly a pun on rigor mortis.

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 14:36
Btw., should we include weird/silly translations too? Like L'Anguille or Klaus Gurtelrose?

Especially. But with sources please, otherwise it will take ages to verify.

What about the Corpse Cart's power Vigor Mortis? That's clearly a pun on rigor mortis.
Absolutely!

inq.serge
07-08-2012, 14:47
I want to believe Johann the Knife is named after Mack the Knife and Emperor Karl Fraz has something to do with Kaiser Karl Lagerfeld*, But I doubt the later, since that would be to cool.

*= The Kaiser of Fashion.

TheBelgianGuy
07-08-2012, 14:53
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're after, but: the lore of shadows spell "Okkams Mindrazor" = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Jedi152
07-08-2012, 15:09
There's only Clarissa Lhoft from the first TK book, all the rest just have generic ancient Egyptian sounding names.

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 15:10
van Hel is the inventor of a dance that's all the rage in Sylvania (VC AB). Luthor Huss is a Sigmarite Warrior Priest of considerable reknown (Empire AB). Felix Mann is a master thief, who in the VC AB steals Vlad von Carstein's ring of resurrection, and I gather he's the same guy as in the Grotrek and Felix book series. Karl Franz, well, you know that guy.

Included Van Hel family and Luthor Huss. Didn't include Felix Mann as I can't really see a connection to a pun (the one from Gotrek btw is Felix Jaegar). Karl Franz is just very generic.

There's only Clarissa Lhoft from the first TK book, all the rest just have generic ancient Egyptian sounding names.
I was playing with the thought if the guy who writes the diary is an Indiana Jones pun, but only connection I was able to make apart from some traps that you'll find in an IJ movie was the whip so far. Wasn't his name Johannes or was that one of his companions?

Also included Gurtelrose, Bretonnia, L'anguille, Vigor mortis, The Magnificent Sven, Voltsvagn.

Dryaktylus
07-08-2012, 15:32

*Rasut is Hatshepsut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatshepsut)
*Settra could be Seth + Ra... or just this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setra) - too vague
*Neferata - nefarious?
*Lahmia - Lamia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamia_(mythology))

Edit:

Felix Mann: Felix Krull (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_Felix_Krull) + Thomas Mann (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mann)

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 15:53
Included Rasut, Settra, Lahmia, Neferata (with reference to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nefertiti). Also added Felix Mann now. Plus Bordeleaux, Couronne, Parravon, Maldred.

SkawtheFalconer
07-08-2012, 16:44
Groggo is probably something to do with grog, a type of alcohol often referred to in tales of piracy. The term 'groggo' sort of implies he drank a lot and acted stupidly as a result.

Bob Arctor
07-08-2012, 16:58
As others have pointed out Lizardmen are a goldmine for puns, but I'm surprised the following haven't been mentioned yet:

Lotl Botl (from 5th ed army book) = Lots of Bottle, i.e. very brave.
Zlaaq (Lord Mazamundi's Stegadon from current book) = Slag, one of the Dinobots (similar pun to Grymloq which is on the list already).
Zwup (Tiktaq'to's mount from current book) = Swoop, another Dinobot.

I eagerly await the next Lizardmen army book that contains dinosaurs named Zludg and Znaal......:shifty:

Antipathy
07-08-2012, 16:59
Alcatani is likely alicante. Del Monte, their leader is likely from the fruit juice maker of the same name. The title of the thread comes from a pun on the popular show when they blow common myths about pron out the window.u

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 17:54
Groggo is probably something to do with grog, a type of alcohol often referred to in tales of piracy. The term 'groggo' sort of implies he drank a lot and acted stupidly as a result.

That be groggy, no? Added, Alcatani& Delmonte.

@Bob Arctor: will need to find somebody with the AB to verify that first.

I was also thinking that maybe "Richard the Righteous" is a pun on "(self-)righteous dick"?

Bubble Ghost
07-08-2012, 18:24
Here's a couple of minor Easter eggy ones:

Luthor Huss's name taken from Martin Luther (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther) and Jan Hus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hus), early church reformers.

In an intentional parallel, when a name was needed for the Grand Theogonist opposed to him in Storm of Chaos, the names of Johann Eck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Eck) and Hieronymous Esmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Emser) were combined into Johann Esmer.

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 18:52
Luthor Huss's name taken from Martin Luther and Jan Hus, early church reformers.
That's in the list.

In an intentional parallel, when a name was needed for the Grand Theogonist opposed to him in Storm of Chaos, the names of Johann Eck and Hieronymous Esmer were combined into Johann Esmer.
And that will go in with the nexts edits :) But the second guy's name is Emser, not Esmer.

Lord Squidar
07-08-2012, 19:02
clearly Clarissa Lhoft is Lara Croft, Tomb Raider... Are those games too old now that no one knows...

I really laughed in the recent Skaven novel Dead Winter. Clan Moulder has a vassal called Clan Skully.

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 19:04
clearly Clarissa Lhoft is Lara Croft, Tomb Raider... Are those games too old now that no one knows...
Yes, she's in the list with that explanation ;)

I really laughed in the recent Skaven novel Dead Winter. Clan Moulder has a vassal called Clan Skully.
Good one, will check it.

Bubble Ghost
07-08-2012, 19:07
That's in the list.

I was only looking at the one in the thread.

But the second guy's name is Emser, not Esmer.

I just repeated a 10 year old typo!:D

Inquisitor S.
07-08-2012, 20:05
I was only looking at the one in the thread.

Sorry, my mistake. I could've sworn that I added it also to the list in the thread. Now it's in for sure! :)

Yamabushi
08-08-2012, 01:59
Prince Apophas from the Tomb Kings book is an allusion to Apophis, the Demon / Serpent of the Underworld in Egyptian myth.

From the O&G book, Gittila The Hunter = Attila the Hun, he even rides to war mounted! :p

Powerposey
08-08-2012, 02:02
Mikael Jacsen-Skeleton Champion from the "Terror of the Lichmaster" campaign.

Best thing about this model it was a skeleton champion with his hair on fire. Came out in the 80's after "Michael Jackson" got his hair caught on fire.

redshylock
08-08-2012, 02:14
Mikael Jacsen-Skeleton Champion from the "Terror of the Lichmaster" campaign.

Oh... please don't mention the Lichemaster's name... that pun is so wrong

linuvian
08-08-2012, 02:58
Teclis\Tyrion appear to be based off of Raistlin\Caramon Majere. While the names are clearly different, the connection between the twins is eerily similar.

cornixt
08-08-2012, 03:03

Grog is rum mixed with water, a common naval drink.

Lord Solar Plexus
08-08-2012, 07:36
Bah, water...

I want to believe Johann the Knife is named after Mack the Knife and Emperor Karl Fraz has something to do with Kaiser Karl Lagerfeld*, But I doubt the later, since that would be to cool.

*= The Kaiser of Fashion.

More like Franz Beckenbauer (and a little Karl-Heinz Rummenigge). :-)

Ah, okay then. So it's more the "feel" of Egypt than any good puns. Kayleigh-Oh Patrah...

redshylock
08-08-2012, 08:36
Alcadizaar = Alexander ?

mrtn
08-08-2012, 09:01
The map of Bretonnia is riddled with puns.
Quenelles is a dish from the Lyon area
Chimay is a Belgian beer
Rochefort is (I assume) a real world place, famous for it's cheese
Massif Orcal is like the Massif Central, but with orcs

Satan
08-08-2012, 09:38
The map of Bretonnia is riddled with puns.
Quenelles is a dish from the Lyon area
Chimay is a Belgian beer
Massif Orcal is like the Massif Central, but with orcs

Rochefort is also a character from The Three Musketeers.

Lord Squidar
08-08-2012, 09:39
There is also the famous explorer Marco Colombo, combination of Marco Polo and Christopher Colombus.

frapermax
08-08-2012, 10:02
Hi,
Love this thread. I remember loads of puns from the WH role playing game too, especially the famous "Enemy Within" campaign. I distinctly recall a Pavarotti opera singer in there, and the Wittgenstein family, named after the famous philosopher. I'll check my old books for more, if these have a place here. Or do we limit ourselves to Warhammer Fantasy Battle?
BTW Rochefort is also a famous beer in Belgium, coming from the abbey with the same name.
greets
fpm

Satan
08-08-2012, 10:42
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but "Norsca" is obviously either "Norway, Scandinavia" or "Northern Scandinavia".

Inquisitor S.
08-08-2012, 10:44
I will add ALL of the references (well, the ones that make a bit of sense at least), but I will need a bit of time, as I can only add them when I have time, plus I always have to dig up some sources, just that you all know ;)

Erazmus_M_Wattle
08-08-2012, 11:19
The McDeath campaign pack was full of pun names based on Shakespeare's MacBeth play. My favourite character was Arka Zargull leader of the Dwarf miners. A play on words meant to sound like Arthur Scargill leader of the miners during the British miner strikes in the eighties.

Arnizipal
08-08-2012, 11:34
A city called Rochefort exists in France, Belgium and Switzerland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochefort).

Inquisitor S.
08-08-2012, 11:37
A city called Rochefort exists in France, Belgium and Switzerland.

Which is hardly surprising as it just means "Castle/ fort on a rock". It's like Villeneuf etc. Quite generic.

Arnizipal
08-08-2012, 12:10
Actually, "fort" means strong in French so it would be Strong Rock.
Fairly generic name indeed, kind of like Altdorf.

Inquisitor S.
08-08-2012, 12:14
Or do we limit ourselves to Warhammer Fantasy Battle?

No limitation. Just distinction between Warhammer and 40K universes including all respective spin-offs, e.g. also Bloodbowl, WFRP etc for Fantasy.

Yowzo
08-08-2012, 12:46
Alcatani is likely alicante. Del Monte, their leader is likely from the fruit juice maker of the same name. The title of the thread comes from a pun on the popular show when they blow common myths about pron out the window.u

Well, if we go Estalia way:

Estalia: seems to be a portmanteau of ESpaña and iTALIA, so Spain + Italy, even though Italy in the warhammer world seems to be represented by Tilea.
Bilbali: Bilbao
Magritta: Malaga
Zaragoz: Zaragoza (Saragossa in English)
Irrana mountains: Refers to the Basque name of Pamplona: Iruña
Abasko mountains: Refers to the Basque country (Pais Vasco in Spanish), both separate Estalia from Bretonnia akin to how the Pyrenees mountain range separates Spain from France.
Diestro (estalian fighter/duellists) means literally "skillful" in Spanish

Bubble Ghost
08-08-2012, 13:06
Bloodbowl

Bloody hell. You realise that everything in Blood Bowl is an Easter egg or a pun? An explanation of the references in Blood Bowl would be longer than the rulebook.

Inquisitor S.
08-08-2012, 13:08
Bloody hell. You realise that everything in Blood Bowl is an Easter egg or a pun?

Yep. You don't assume that will deter anybody, do you? ;)

laribold
08-08-2012, 13:18
The entire Dogs of War book is like one enormous bad pun...

For example, on the map of Tilea is marked the site of the Battle of Scorcio. Clearly a reference to the catchphrase of Paula Fisch, the weathergirl from The Fast Show's recurring sketch Channel 9 'mediterannean' news - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZMUAd7OJc8

Another battlesite listed is Pugno, which I imagine is a reference to 'pugnacious' meaning 'eager to fight'.

Yowzo
08-08-2012, 13:57
Another battlesite listed is Pugno, which I imagine is a reference to 'pugnacious' meaning 'eager to fight'.

Which ultimately comes from latin "pugna" meaning fight.

The Estalian goddess of war, Myrmidia comes from the Myrmidons, Achilles' warriors in the Illiad.

Inquisitor S.
08-08-2012, 15:05
Estalia, Bilbali, Magritta, Zaragoz, Irrana mountains, Abasko mountains,

All included apart from diestro as that is a "real" word for a fencing master: http://www.worksofrichardmarsden.com/spanishterms.htm

AlphariusOmegon20
08-08-2012, 17:08
Archaon = Archeron, the Greek mythological river of sorrow in the underworld

Arnizipal
24-10-2018, 12:05
Has Age of Sigmar stuck to the punny beginnings of WFB?

WLBjork
21-11-2018, 02:20
Hugo le Petit - Huge the Small. A take on Little John along with
Bertrand the Brigand, Gui le Gros and the Bowmen of Bergerac.

Morgiana le Fay - Morgan Le Fay (The Fairy) of Arthurian Legend

There is also the misterious magical Island of Albion which I am sure is supose to be a take on Avalon which is of course the British Isles.

Of the realms of the world:
Kislev - Slavik countrys
The Empire - Germany
Bretonnia - France under English Rule
Estalia - Spain
Talia - Italy
Araby - North Africa
Southlands - Africa
Ind - India
Cathay - China
Nippon - Japan
Naggaroth - North America
Lustria - South America
Ulthuan - Atlantis

Not sure if that is the kind of stuff you are looking for but hey it's there.

Albion is, surprisingly, Albion. It's an ancient name for England/Britain, possibly derived from the White Cliffs of Dover. We have had a fair few tales about this country - the Giants are linked to Albion in various myths and legends for example.