PDA

View Full Version : Best current character for a Solitaire.

TheDoctor
09-08-2012, 05:37
Hey all, as a modelling project, and to use in friendlier games, I want to make a Solitaire. Now the only question is is what character for it to "count as".

For those of you who are not familiar with the old chapter approved harlequin list, some of the basic points:
-Cannot join a squad
-Absolute beast in CC
-Harlequin trickery keeps him/her alive
-Souless (like the old Pariah)

So, based on that, I was thinking either Lilith, Vect, or Lady Malys.

-Lilith I think is the best fit, although I am worried about some random joker with a S6+weapon insta-killing her (but she could always jack a Venom).

-Vect is still a beast in CC, and has a bit more survivability, but with all his gear and special rules, it doesn't really "feel" like the Solitaire

-Malys is okay in CC, but has the closest thing to souless

Comments and criticisms welcome, and if you think of another character that would fit the bill (it could be from any faction), that is welcome as well.

Radium
09-08-2012, 06:59
For me the most important aspects of representing a Solitaire in modern 40k are a good invul save to represent the domino field and general agility of the Solitaire and an insane combat ability, killing everything left and right. To me that means Lelith or Vect if going DE, and Yriel if going CWE.

Lord Squidar
09-08-2012, 07:01
Why not use a basic archon with shadow fields and other nasty stuff to make him/her good in cc. Does it have to be a special character?

Lord Zarkov
09-08-2012, 07:23
I think Lilith - she has no armour to speak of, just her good invulnerables, and her extra attacks special rules would work quite well, as would the net she counts as having.

A Shadow field doesn't seem quite right to me due to the shorting out bit.

Lord Damocles
09-08-2012, 07:50
For me the most important aspects of representing a Solitaire in modern 40k are a good invul save to represent the domino field and general agility of the Solitaire and an insane combat ability, killing everything left and right. To me that means Lelith or Vect if going DE, and Yriel if going CWE.
This.

I'd probably go Lelith just for the denial of armour saves.

The soullessness needn't be a huge concern. It was only postulated by Imperial scholars that they were soulless, and the old Spiritless rule didn't give them a blanket immunity to psychic powers. The original list even let them take psychic powers.

Threeshades
09-08-2012, 08:07
I'd go with Lelith too, no matter wether you're taking CWE or DE (you can always hve the other as allies after all), extremely fast, lots of attacks great invuln, those are basically the hallmarks of the solitaire. Actually i might do the same, since I couldn't come up with any HQ for my Eldar exodites dark eldar allies that are supposed to add some more dinosaur beasts to the mix. Just need to come up with a nice conversion.

blackcherry
09-08-2012, 08:16
I would do a basic archon or wych HQ with a few bits of wargear to best represent a solitare. Special character wise, lylith at a push, but none of the DE SC really match up.

Thanatos_elNyx
09-08-2012, 08:25
The Solitaire used to get an insane number of attacks, so I think Lelith is the closest to that.

Str10_hurts
09-08-2012, 09:34
Dark eldar lord with a clonefield and Djinblade. Lots of attacks and trickery, sometimes it backfires though. Otherwise lillith seems fine.

Seems wierd but I am thinking of an Eversor assassin it fits the bill, but you could you ally that model (dont have the book with me).

Xandros
09-08-2012, 09:58
Dark eldar lord with a clonefield and Djinblade. Lots of attacks and trickery, sometimes it backfires though. Otherwise lillith seems fine.

Seems wierd but I am thinking of an Eversor assassin it fits the bill, but you could you ally that model (dont have the book with me).

Don't you mean Callidus?

Anyway, they're meant to be solitary. They don't hang around other eldar and so independent characters are less appropriate.

Thanatos_elNyx
09-08-2012, 10:05
Doesn't matter if they are ICs, you can just choose to not attach them to units.

Chem-Dog
09-08-2012, 10:12
Of the options presented, Lilith's the best match. Sort, maybe, of using a tricked out Keeper of Secrets.

Try not to focus on how the rules of past versions of the game represented the Solitaire, there's little that allows direct comparison with 6th Ed rules. Work on the main theme, which is a peerless warrior in a melee, and Lilith matches up to that.

Str10_hurts
09-08-2012, 10:15
Don't you mean Callidus?

Anyway, they're meant to be solitary. They don't hang around other eldar and so independent characters are less appropriate.

He asked for massive attacks, so the D6 extra made sense to me, but callidus could work too, C'tan blade being an uber harlequins kiss I guess.

Xandros
09-08-2012, 11:17
He asked for massive attacks, so the D6 extra made sense to me, but callidus could work too, C'tan blade being an uber harlequins kiss I guess.

Oops. I was thinking of vindicare. Massive brainfail.

TheDoctor
09-08-2012, 16:25
Thanks for all the replies!

As to the people who advised me for a basic archon or succubus, the Solitaire isn't going to be joining any units, and so kind of need to be extra killy to compensate.

And when I said Vect didn't really feel "solitaire" ish, I meant the shadowfield and its tendency to roll 1's

So I will most likely go with Lilith.

Drasanil
09-08-2012, 16:50
The Shadow Spectre Pheonix Lord from Imperial Armour might fit the bill nicely if you can get the rules for him. Fairly killy, jump pack infrantry 5++ from holofields, eternal warrior, fearless etc etc...

Xerkics
09-08-2012, 22:00
Id go with ARchon with gear to match.

Eddie Chaos
09-08-2012, 23:19
keeper of secrets :P

Bubbatron
10-08-2012, 21:38
Mephiston ?