PDA

View Full Version : Most boring army to play against - a copycat thread

TheBearminator
11-08-2012, 16:13
I just saw fantasy thread on this subject on the forum and couldn't help but copy it here. Which army, or kind of army do least enjoy playing against? I haven't even played against most armies as I just play my friends. You can of course answer this question in many ways. Personally I dislike armies that hinders me from playing rather than takes its own initiatives. I think this was more of a problem some years ago. Guess the psychic hood is a good example of it. I haven't played against wolves yet but an army that neglects magic all the time must be frustrating.

TheDungen
11-08-2012, 16:32
why cant these threads ever be about the most fun army to play against?

Haravikk
11-08-2012, 16:34
Currently? Grey Knights; too many people round my way playing them, and too many armies of them aren't very interesting in terms of composition, and no-one seems to paint them any differently. That's more to do with my area though; I don't find other marine armies as boring, though the fact that AP is still all-or-nothing makes them a bit dull overall to face.

To provide the balance; Dark Eldar are my favourite list, both the list itself and to play against. I also quite enjoy playing against Imperial Guard, but I hate their army list; way too many similar entries and a heap of rules that seem designed more to annoy your opponent than serve any real battlefield purpose.

Radium
11-08-2012, 16:40
I hate playing against Orks and IG. Both are just extremely boring armies to me.

I do quite like facing GK and marines in general. GK for the challenge (although seeing them all the time is quite boring). I wish I saw more varied armies out there though, like Sisters, Dark Eldar and Nids.

TheBearminator
11-08-2012, 20:29
Sorry, I'm new at the warseer. Had no idea. Will immediately start such a thread. :-)

Walls
11-08-2012, 20:49
Necron flyer lists. Worst build in history.

Bubble Ghost
11-08-2012, 20:50
Any army with too many jet units.

Silentbob10
11-08-2012, 20:56
I find playing my friends nids really boring having to kill almost unending gaunts because he keeps pumping them out of his tervigons is just annoying after three turns. That and infantry based guard takes way to long to play, orders taking weeks.

Gargantuan
11-08-2012, 21:12
I haven't played against many armies (only IG, Eldar and Blood Angels) but I have to say IG, just because they rarely move and never do anything in the assault phase.

unknown_lifeform
11-08-2012, 21:17
The most boring game I've ever played was in a 5th ed tourni vs grey knight purifier spam with nids - I run forwards as fast as possible and hope he doesn't shoot too much of my stuff or get his psychic powers off through shadow in the warp. No tactics, just an uphill struggle and a prayer to the dice gods. Fortunately no-one local plays this kind of army. As far as armies I actually get to play against are concerned I'd say necrons, not because the army itself is boring or has a negative play style, I just find it a dispiriting and impossible uphill struggle with my tau.

@Gargantuan: Try using terrain, especially LOS blocking stuff. Seriously. No army should be able to get away with playing entirely statically in an environment with a decent level of terrain.

Walls
11-08-2012, 21:29
I don't think single armies can be ruled out as boring. It's the specific builds that are. I play an assault heavy, mobile guard army with ogryns and such. Some guys do just play Leafblower.

roadkizzle
11-08-2012, 22:23
I'd have to say, after playing 40k for over a decade, Space Marines of all kinds are the most boring army to play against. It doesn't really matter to me which kind they are, they all feel the same to me.

That's also why I have gotten sick of playing the game. In my area out of 15 players that I know of, I think I have seen a total of 2 non-marine armies. One of those is an eldar denial army, with jetbikes, wraithlords, and tooled up skimmers (coincidentally also one of the most boring armies to play against).

JasoX
11-08-2012, 22:24
Most boring i have played against is Grey Knights, every time the same build - usually.

Xerkics
11-08-2012, 22:35
Imperial Guard i guess. Some players take literally hours to take their guard models out and deploy them plus the multitude means they are mostly unpainted where its hard to tell whats what. Puts me to sleep. Otherwise Tau same boring Crisis spam all over.

jifel
11-08-2012, 22:37
Henchmen spam Grey Knights. Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Marines are all fine. Even IG usually move. But Henchmen spam, especially Jokaero spam, ugh. They just sit, and shoot. No move, no assault.

Yodhrin
12-08-2012, 00:02
For me it's less about the particular army, and more about the ethos employed by the opponent, both when creating their list and while playing. For example, Space Wolves can be a really fun and characterful force to fight against, or it can be Long Fang missile-spam; it's all about the attitude.

Marzillius
12-08-2012, 00:24
In Fantasy I find Dwarfs to be the most boring to play against, but I don't think 40k has any such armies. I think all of them are fun to play against. One thing I loathe to play against though is MSU. It's so annoying in my opinion.

MajorWesJanson
12-08-2012, 05:30
MSU razorback lists. Hate them.

Rated_lexxx
12-08-2012, 05:40
Unpainted armies. I hate saying 90% plastic gray armies.

I much rather say a poorly painted army where the person put some effort in it then a piece not even primed

Drasanil
12-08-2012, 06:06
Unpainted armies. I hate saying 90% plastic gray armies.

I much rather say a poorly painted army where the person put some effort in it then a piece not even primed

QTF! I'd add to that listed proxied armies. Cool/weird conversions are fine, as are out of the box armies, but seeing a readily identifiable army used as another is just jarring.

starlight
12-08-2012, 06:17

Because that's always been Orks, everyone knows that... :p

MajorWesJanson
12-08-2012, 06:21
Because that's always been Orks, everyone knows that... :p

No, everyone knows that Orks are the most fun to play, not play against.

Though I suppose both can be true.

ConnorKillsChildren
12-08-2012, 06:27
I used to play Deathwing, actual deathwing, and it absolutely kills me when I see dudes setting up their smurf termies and saying that their robot girlieman is supposed to be Belial. Death to the corpse emperor and all proxy armies. Especially if they're ultramarines. Unpainted armies aren't very fun to slaughter either but as long as the blood is flowing I'll tolerate it.

starlight
12-08-2012, 06:28
Having been on both sides, and having had many opponents for my Greenskins over the years, I've never had as much fun as when Greenskins are on the table regardless of the side, and my opponents have always had (by all indications) a blast. :)

Who doesn't love it when their opponent's army does something whacky and blows up one of it's own units...? :eyebrows: :p

Johnnya10
12-08-2012, 07:29
Most boring army I ever took on was just genesteelers. There was a hive tyrant in there too, but he was lost under this enormous wave of genesteelers. So dull.

TheBearminator
12-08-2012, 10:26
Yeah! During my last game I fielded two warpheads. My opponent must've had the time of his life as they both blow their heads to bits. It was so ridiculously absurd. I just kept rolling snake eyes (or rather I misfired on the spell and then managed to score another 1 on the reroll). I think I got one waagh that I really didn't need and the rest were just pure fiasko. As one of them were in a transport both the turns when he blow up and we couldn't find an faq on that we also had this compromise that d6 boyz were killed by each eadbang. Not a lot of that unit hit the enemy. After the game I calculated the chances that two warpheads would kill their selves in 2,5 turn (4 eadbangers that wounded in 5 tries) and it was like 1 in 1400 games so it shouldn't happen again to soon... ;-)

Cap'n Shings
12-08-2012, 10:39
Guard, I loath playing guard. Lets just sit at the back and and drop coutless templates on those Orks. Lets must shoot coutless Lascannons at that Stormraven. It bloody tedious and kind of disheartening.

trigger
12-08-2012, 10:53
Tau gun lines and the old iron warrior list. Both lists were they don't. Not fun and not enjoyable.

Haravikk
12-08-2012, 11:31
For me it's less about the particular army, and more about the ethos employed by the opponent, both when creating their list and while playing. For example, Space Wolves can be a really fun and characterful force to fight against, or it can be Long Fang missile-spam; it's all about the attitude.
I think this is probably the best point; I see a lot of people mentioning Imperial Guard, and I can understand why, but my opponents are usually a bit more varied in how they play, especially with Snap Shooting in 6th edition since it's possible to move around a lot more. I think most armies can be built in interesting ways, but it requires the player to take the time to make an interesting list.
For example, Grey Knights are the most boring for me, but mostly because of how commonly they're used and how similar a lot of lists I face seem to be. Their codex also reads like fan-fiction, but that's not really a quality for boredom :)

El_Machinae
12-08-2012, 13:16
This is something that the the new psychic powers (/warlord) rules will help. The variety available in a 'standard' list jumped up a notch, and so the theme of each game can be rather different even with very similar lists.

Grentain
12-08-2012, 18:13
In Fantasy I find Dwarfs to be the most boring to play against, but I don't think 40k has any such armies. I think all of them are fun to play against. One thing I loathe to play against though is MSU. It's so annoying in my opinion.

Dwarfs are fine as long as they avoid the gun-line!

As far as 40k armies go, I'm not particularly fond of Tau (though that may be attributed to my disdain of a local Tau player) or Dark Eldar (Poison makes my favorite list unplayable).

Damocles8
12-08-2012, 18:44
Dark Eldar....everyone seems to run the same damn thing over and over.....and most of em are power gamers in my area.....

The_Klobb_Maniac
12-08-2012, 19:16
The one I found the least fun to actually play *with* was a Siegewing. I was able to build and customize the army (new) for about $100-120 IIRC with proper bidding prowess. I lovingly built my 25 shooty termies and such; custom made my chainfists, banner, etc... Built up my vindis.

Then I noticed that all it was (in 5th) was an army that wanted to sit at 24" and walk backwards. With (essentially) only two unit types I couldn't make lots of choices. It was survivable; and part of me misses it. The other part of me says "meh, I still wouldn't enjoy it a ton."

Against? Personally I think nothing cheeses out (and says "hey, I'm purposely being gamey") than Lash-of-Submission users and whatever dumb shape they morph your unit into. From:
-A fluff standpoint it's beyond stupid
-From a game standpoint, someone manipulating your models defies all logic of strategy; it's something that strategy games should *never* do; especially when positioning is so critically important (every 1/8th of an inch counts, etc..)
-From an enjoyment standpoint it's, derived from the above, hideously unenjoyable.

Oh cool, you passed a really-easy-to-pass test at 24" against my army that has no defense against it, put them into a crammed up circle, and shot 72" pie-plates at it. Neat.
I would rather fight the undoubtably more powerful cheesed-to-the-max-with-beards Necron or Grey-Knight netlists someone can come up with than that stupid, unoriginal, immersion breaking pile of slough that that psychic power brings. If I ever have a common opponent that start's running it; guess what: My armies suddenly became great friends with the Eldar; every game, for eternity.

I'll have you note that most of the people upset here are those who don't like gamey attitudes and have too many people running the same army in the area. Not a coincidence.

Most fun to play *against*? I'd love for my Orks to fight Orks. I'm a huge fan of Orks in general; but Greenskins killing eachother puts a smile on my face out of pure admiration. You'd likely not see a similar smile except on Eldar player's faces for such an event. They're one of the few armies that just.. make sense to fight itself. Most others you have to come up with some strange fluff justification. Orks... just like to slaughter things; including eachother <3

Jonny Draigo
12-08-2012, 19:22
I would say Imperial Guard, the type that just sits in one place, dont move or assault and just shoots, also spends like 10 minutes giving hundred orders to hundred units each turn (which I can never keep track off, or remeber what each of those orders does)

murgel2006
12-08-2012, 19:46
I am sorry but I will have to say that I have not ever played against a boring army.
Only against boring opponents. Optimized lists of tournament goodness have never ever given me any fun to play against, even if I had on such list myself.

The most fun game I had was a rematch against Demons a fluffy chaos united list. Brilliant fun, even thou I lost abysmally. We had fun, frizzeling my Hawks with firedeamons. flashing my banshees with horrors, dismanteling her Soulgrinder with spears and shredding her demonetts with my jetbikes etc.
Absolutely brilliant game.

Sigtyr
12-08-2012, 22:14
I totally agree with Johnny Draigo. IG lists that sit back are extremely boring mostly because the opponent doesn't go for the objectives. But this is not just limited to IG for me; any army that sits back and doesn't move is pretty lame to fight against. Although with the new Rapid Fire rules, I might not see this as much.

Rated_lexxx
12-08-2012, 23:45
Dark Eldar....everyone seems to run the same damn thing over and over.....and most of em are power gamers in my area.....

That's funny. I have play in many game stores on both sides of the states and people want to play my DE because no one plays DE

blameless
13-08-2012, 01:05
I don't think single armies can be ruled out as boring. It's the specific builds that are. I play an assault heavy, mobile guard army with ogryns and such. Some guys do just play Leafblower.

This is the correct answer when married with the personality of the person you are playing. No exceptions.

Totally depends on the person/how that person likes to play, and the list makup.

I love playing against my brothers guard. He has a fun and fluffy list that plays a little different each time.

Bartali
13-08-2012, 12:15
It's the Warseer weekly 'You're having wrong fun' thread

Erazmus_M_Wattle
13-08-2012, 12:31
I've always found guard boring to play against. It has made little difference which edition it was using either.

They've got all the toys and can deal with every eventuality. There just no fun.

ihavetoomuchminis
13-08-2012, 13:58
Every army that consists of barely 3 or 4 units of the whole codex. You know..... SW razorback & long fang spam, DE Raider witch - trueborn - ravager, GK purifier - termi - psyfle dread, Necron Immortal - flyer - stalker, Ork Warwagon mob - Lootas - Kans, BA assault with priest - DC dread - StormRaven...etc....

TheBearminator
13-08-2012, 14:57
There seems to be some consensus here. Nobody likes playing stationary shooty armies. IG are mentioned frequently. Hope we will see the end of that now then, with snap shots and new rapid fire rules.

A thought struck my mind. Is IG the 40k Dwarves? Cause the discussion is kind of similar to the fantasy thread. People complaining about how all their war machines and monsters got shot to pieces in turn 2 game after game by an army that never moved an inch?

Fabian3rd
13-08-2012, 15:22
Necron wraithwing are horrible to play against. Not much fun developing tactics vs 3++ :(
Most armies are fun to play against as long as you have a good opponent though (even grey knights)

GrogDaTyrant
13-08-2012, 15:29
Grey Knight were the most boring army for me to play against. Gunline IG actually was fairly enjoyable. Never got to play against the new Necrons however.

Azulthar
13-08-2012, 15:54
Opponent matters way more than codex when it comes to boring games.

If I'd have to pick an army though, I would go with Space Wolves, but only because they're so common :p

TheBearminator
13-08-2012, 16:11
Another question then. What is 3++? 3+ with a reroll? Seen in all over the place but when I search on an explanation I don't get a single hit?

Hm. I can't use citations at the moment. I don't know if it's the forum or Tapatalk that is the problem.

ChrisMurray
13-08-2012, 16:15
I think the opponent makes more of a difference than the army. Any game can be fun or boring depending on who your playing.

Yodhrin
13-08-2012, 16:22
Another question then. What is 3++? 3+ with a reroll? Seen in all over the place but when I search on an explanation I don't get a single hit?

Hm. I can't use citations at the moment. I don't know if it's the forum or Tapatalk that is the problem.

The doubleplus indicates an Invulnerable save, so a Terminator would be 2+/5++, Vulkan He'stan would be 2+/3++ etc etc.

Kado69
13-08-2012, 16:44
Blood Angels and that damn vulkan melta spam and storm shield termy list.... vulkan list annoys the crap out of me every time as he has more special rules than my whole army put together.

Blood Angels annoy me as they out combat my pure combat army of orks..... even going a more shooty way with orks means i get hammered after turn 2 when all those assault marines, dreads, death company and mephiston are charging me.

Fithos
13-08-2012, 23:40
The only time I have not enjoyed a game because of a persons army was back in 5th edition where my friend just got an ork army and wanted to play. I agreed and he showed up with two squads of nobz that were all identical models but he claimed they were all unique so he could utilize wound allocation shenanigans. It was really annoying because he didn't even know which one was which. Whenever he would assault me and the entire squad wouldn't quite make it in he would assure me that the ones that did just happened to be the power klaw guys. It was really frustrating. I still won by bating them into a combat and then when they slaughtered me and were all nice an clumped up I dropped a demolisher shell on them but then he wanted to play again and I told him I wouldn't play him unless his nobz were either all the same or had distinguishing features. Most annoying army to play against ever.

In general the only times I don't have fun are against certain people, not certain armies. Pretty much what sets me off is rules lawyers, but I just know who is like that and don't play them often and I always have a good time.

TheMav80
14-08-2012, 03:53
Space Marines :P

Xerkics
14-08-2012, 11:19
Tau gunline is very similar to ig its just they spam suits rather than tanks . Wait till their new codex you ll wish you were playing against IG

Graeme
14-08-2012, 13:12
Space Marines :P

I can honestly say I've only ever had one boring game of 40k, and that was a 5th ed game against a list comprising:

2x techmarines with thunderfire cannons
2x Scout squads in Landspeeder storms
2 x Full size scout squads with camo cloaks (in the techmarines' fortified terrain, for an overall 2++ cover save)
2 (or 3, can't remember) x Rifleman dreads
2 (or 3, can't remember) x Rifleman contemptors (with cyclones)

Foot-scouts camp home objectives, speeder-scouts turbo-boost endgame to contest distant objectives, dreads shoot everything.

I was using a common-or-garden tyranid list and have honestly never had less fun at the gaming table. As I recall the game ended quite close - he had one objective and I had one turn to destroy the speeder contesting mine, but failed to do so - I was so far past caring at that point though it didn't really matter.

TheBearminator
18-08-2012, 04:28
I remember I used to hate my first fantasy opponents chaos. Because they were the best of the best in every single aspect. WS, BS, S, T, I, ans armour (or so I remember. No week point). I mean come on, chaos warriors, regular troops with ws and bs of 6. Not that you could give them anything to shoot with, it was just that IF they would borrow a longbow from whatever elite elf unit, they would excel. I just don't like when you let elite armies be so ridiculously good at everything. Regardless of their points cost. It just kills my enthusiasm over my own units. Don't think GW make these mistakes anymore. When I started playing 40k I disliked eldar cause they seemed superior in every discipline. But soon I learned that they are a specialist army, while my space marines were more of multi tools.

Chapters Unwritten
18-08-2012, 16:27
Let me just go on record as saying I LOVE fighting the Necrons. That they are so difficult to kill and so unique from the other armies in the game makes it very satisfying if you manage to kill a lot of them. I have a friend who uses this obnoxious blob of Royal Court Lords with MSS, however, that annoys the living heck out of me. You can't even hit people when that unit gets ahold of you, and now Necrons are one of two armies with the Open Topped Transports that make it super-likely you will get assaulted earlier. The unit is so mindlessly effective; 6 of your models, in all likelihood, will not only NOT attack, but will hurt themselves. It's pretty rare for that unit not to steamroll whatever it touches.

I get very bored fighting the Grey Knights, honestly. Any list that has repeating units is dull to face but the GK are extra bad because typically their units are basically the same dudes across the whole book (whether you run a Henchman or GK list, it tends to be all one thing. Kind of sad, really; you could make a very cool army with that book!). Every squad is essentially the same squad, and they always have the same upgrades because of how unprecedented they are. I6 marines with power weapons got nerfed a bit with AP3, but they are still a pretty solid choice and I doubt I've seen the last of them.

El_Machinae
18-08-2012, 17:43
What I like is diversity. This is something I also liked (and disliked) about the Necrons. The crypteks allow a nifty power (or two) in every squad. The lack of options for overlords kinda makes me sad.

stroller
18-08-2012, 20:56

Because everyone KNOWS the answer is always orks.....

Mikial
19-08-2012, 03:58
I find playing my friends nids really boring having to kill almost unending gaunts because he keeps pumping them out of his tervigons is just annoying after three turns. That and infantry based guard takes way to long to play, orders taking weeks.

My wife and two other players in our group do Nids. :eek: But I think they're fun to fight. They are supposed to have endless swarms after all.

I hate playing against Necrons. Just way too cheesy and it's always the same.

Other than that, I enjoy fighting any other army there is. Some people think IG are boring cause they just sit back and shoot, but that's only because we're afraid of letting anyone get too close to us. :p

The_Trans
20-08-2012, 06:53
All the hate on guard, talk of moving and assaulting. Your average guardsman gets murdered by most peoples basic troops. We melt away under bolter fire. We melt away under flamer fire. We melt away under stiff breezes. Our 2 assault troops are really counter attack troops, one lot will die due to striking last, the other lot are good for a single charge. The one unit that would be cool for deploying randomly and doing awesome movie-esque stuff (Storm Troopers) cost more than a Grey Hunter (just think about that for a second). All we have is our static gunline, with chimera rushes, because if anything even vaguely assaulty looking hits the line we'll fold so fast its not funny.

So far most boring to play against is my mates crons:
"Oh I deployed a squad of gauss-riors from my Nightsycthe 2 inches away from your tank, oh I just glanced AV14 to death with my S4 gun",
"oh rolled a 6, I get 63 more hits now, oh everything is twin-linked, get to re-roll my 1s and 2s, oh got some more 6s",
"just swoop attacked with my av13 flyer that gets a jink save incessantly, oh you immobilsed it, I'll take a wound of my lord and its good again",
"oh just jump infantried into that building, but no dangerous terrain test, oh I'm instant killing and rending your guardsmen to death, oh look a power fist, oop invulnerable save, oh I'm fearless, but no extra wounds for me, oh my only weakness is striking at Intuitive 2, lucky I've got lash whips",
"oop just deepstriked into your lines with my rapid fire sniper rifles that wound on 2+",
"oh look 90% of my troops get FnP at no extra cost"

They just seem to have a counter for their own weaknesses..

Yeah not overly fun to play against...

TheBearminator
20-08-2012, 19:37
All the hate on guard, talk of moving and assaulting. Your average guardsman gets murdered by most peoples basic troops. We melt away under bolter fire. We melt away under flamer fire. We melt away under stiff breezes. Our 2 assault troops are really counter attack troops, one lot will die due to striking last, the other lot are good for a single charge. The one unit that would be cool for deploying randomly and doing awesome movie-esque stuff (Storm Troopers) cost more than a Grey Hunter (just think about that for a second). All we have is our static gunline, with chimera rushes, because if anything even vaguely assaulty looking hits the line we'll fold so fast its not funny.

So far most boring to play against is my mates crons:
"Oh I deployed a squad of gauss-riors from my Nightsycthe 2 inches away from your tank, oh I just glanced AV14 to death with my S4 gun",
"oh rolled a 6, I get 63 more hits now, oh everything is twin-linked, get to re-roll my 1s and 2s, oh got some more 6s",
"just swoop attacked with my av13 flyer that gets a jink save incessantly, oh you immobilsed it, I'll take a wound of my lord and its good again",
"oh just jump infantried into that building, but no dangerous terrain test, oh I'm instant killing and rending your guardsmen to death, oh look a power fist, oop invulnerable save, oh I'm fearless, but no extra wounds for me, oh my only weakness is striking at Intuitive 2, lucky I've got lash whips",
"oop just deepstriked into your lines with my rapid fire sniper rifles that wound on 2+",
"oh look 90% of my troops get FnP at no extra cost"

They just seem to have a counter for their own weaknesses..

Yeah not overly fun to play against...

Hahaha!" Head on the nail", as we would say in Sweden. ;-) That's a very accurate description of 40k frustration at its worst.

Walls
21-08-2012, 00:49
I am really finding armies that take defence lines get boring. They hunker down behind it, wait for assaults, shoot the gun... ugh. My growing hate for the aegis line grows!

zippy_tang
21-08-2012, 05:21
Hmmm... I have to say this award from me would go to any army that chooses one phase of the game and specifically sticks to that. This usually makes for a very uninteresting game in which:

a) the army rushes down the board in transports to engage you in the assault phase asap....game ends in 3 turns.

b) the army stands on the back line and shoots....games ends when turn cap is reached or you have been wiped out.

While some races certainly do better in one phase or another. unless it is impossible to do so each army should be able to compete in each phase for the game to be fleshed out and interesting.

igwarlord
21-08-2012, 13:03
I love this thread because I am completely backwards from everyone else. I love playng gun lines they are easy to DS
into and destroy.

Sekhmet
21-08-2012, 13:18
Necron wraithwing are horrible to play against. Not much fun developing tactics vs 3++ :(
Most armies are fun to play against as long as you have a good opponent though (even grey knights)

I hate playing against terminator spam. 2+ saves everywhere, many of whom also have a 3++. And some have 2 wounds.