PDA

View Full Version : Which army do you enjoy playing against?

TheBearminator
11-08-2012, 20:38
I made a promise in my last thread to start a discussion on what armies are the most fun to play against. :)

I would say tyranids. Just to get the thread started. Why? Cause they're monsters. Real, ugly monsters. I feel like a colonial marine when I face them. ;)

fred953d
11-08-2012, 21:08
I enjoy playing against Eldar, as i play Tau and they are two almost equally outdated armies, so it's a fair matchup.

unknown_lifeform
11-08-2012, 21:11
It might seem odd to some people but Imperial Guard. Its mainly for fluff reasons - I play in a narrative campaign and generally play xenos armies so as the bog standard grunts of the Imperium it feels "right" that they make up the bulk of my games vs. Imperium. I also find Tau Vs Guard is a fun and pretty balanced match up and always leads to a good game.

Thoth62
11-08-2012, 21:14
I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, but I like playing against Grey Knights. It helps that I've got a fairly good record against them, with my Chaos, no less. And before you say anything, no. I don't take net lists. Both my Iron Warriors and my Thousand Sons. I like it because I've always had entertaining games where both sides have a chance of winning, and I like the background of it. Chaos vs. Daemonhunters.

totgeboren
11-08-2012, 22:00
Nids are really cool to face, it's just a shame they are in such a bad shape rulewise. I love having my WB and humans killing foul xenos like in the Great Crusade days!
I actually enjoy facing marines (except GKs of course) too. It's always iconic no matter what army I field.
IG vs IG and IG vs Tau is also really fun, where close combat becomes really tense and exciting!

JasoX
11-08-2012, 22:20
I like to play against the Nids and Guard, mainly because we like to do all kinds of narrative scenarios and those 2 fit well in. And i like to battle against horde armies :)

Threeshades
11-08-2012, 22:55
It might seem odd to some people but Imperial Guard. Its mainly for fluff reasons - I play in a narrative campaign and generally play xenos armies so as the bog standard grunts of the Imperium it feels "right" that they make up the bulk of my games vs. Imperium. I also find Tau Vs Guard is a fun and pretty balanced match up and always leads to a good game.

I play neither tau nor guard, but them being the two armies that feel most like an actual form of modern military (unlike all those monsters, space-knights and other ritualized warhosts) i imagine them to be a fun matchup.

As for me as a primary nid player i love going against guard as well (though im thinking a balanced fluffy guard list here, not that leafblower stuff), it's just the classic scenario from the Starship Troopers movie, that i love. Or in smaller games it becomes more like Aliens.
Its also great with tau. But most other armies the whole thing doesnt really work, when you think of a tyranid invasion you think of the defenders trying to keep them at a distance by putting all the guns they have up against them. Not of the defenders charging against them with their blades drawn.

Chem-Dog
11-08-2012, 23:10
I'm happy to play against any army, what makes it fun is they guy (or girl, theoretically) I'm playing against.

I most enjoy playing against Daemons because my regular Daemon playing buddy's a good laugh, same for the Dark Eldar, the one guy who plays them in my club has a wicked sense of humour and the game is going to be a hoot.

And Guard Vs Guard is always so much fun it should probably be illegal.

TheBearminator
12-08-2012, 00:22
Now I've been looking all over. What is this leafblower list/tactics? I started a thread for slang and abbreviations but it was closed and I was given a link to a thread that only listed abbreviations. So, what is this leafblower thing? Sounds like a list with 200+ flamers.

fluffymcfluff
12-08-2012, 00:31
I'm happy to play against any army, what makes it fun is they guy (or girl, theoretically) I'm playing against.

I most enjoy playing against Daemons because my regular Daemon playing buddy's a good laugh, same for the Dark Eldar, the one guy who plays them in my club has a wicked sense of humour and the game is going to be a hoot.

And Guard Vs Guard is always so much fun it should probably be illegal.

This +1, I find the game really depends on who you play against.

I personally enjoy facing any army, my orks for example have had great success against IG, the games are always fun, and usually come down to the last turn. When I play against DE its usually a very good game as well. Overall I just want to roll dice and have fun.

TheDoctor
12-08-2012, 00:53
I enjoy playing pretty much any army that is balanced and fluffy, and not min-maxed. It allows me to play more fun lists as well, because I have at least one squad of every aspect, and 3 of them almost never see the tabletop.

Now I've been looking all over. What is this leafblower list/tactics? I started a thread for slang and abbreviations but it was closed and I was given a link to a thread that only listed abbreviations. So, what is this leafblower thing? Sounds like a list with 200+ flamers.

Leafblower was originally the term for an Imperial Guard army that won a big tournament a few years back. Basically the guy beat his opponents within 30 minutes; however, all three games, the IG guy got first turn and a good matchup for his army list.

The term has since mutated to mean pretty much any min/maxed Imperial Guard list. (in 5th edition terms, this was generally Veterans with max special weapons, lots of Chimeras, Vendettas, and Manticores)

Ironically, according to later years of the 5th edition meta, the original "leafblower" wouldn't be considered good.

Radium
12-08-2012, 09:03

Mostly this, but I'd like to add any varied army list. Armies that include a bit of everything are always the most fun to play against.

Lord Squidar
12-08-2012, 09:40
I must be the only one but i like playing grey knights with my daemons. Its an absolute uphill challenge and i have taught myself to love it. Its like in a video game where you fight the end boss on one pixel of health and beat him!

Jorgandr
12-08-2012, 10:28
As a Nid player I love playing against Orks, since it will almost always turn into a real blood bath on both sides, with hardly any models till standing at the end of the match.

Cap'n Shings
12-08-2012, 10:36
I like playing against Orks and BA. They are just both in your face armies and its lots of fun!No hanging round the back of the board taking shots at you.

hawo0313
12-08-2012, 10:39
basically any army that will take cc-orientated trash troops like heaps of gaunts or boyz because i love close combat, i love knowing my guys are the elite, and i like the fact that the armies that do this are foul xenos and must be scourged in the name of the emperor. So i guess that means nids and orks

trigger
12-08-2012, 10:50
I like playing the renegade guard list (nurgle) from forge world
I play wolves and that list has enough unusual bits in to make me think. I'n bigger games he adds demons.
Nids have always been a great deal of fun too

jonthebetrayer
12-08-2012, 11:06
I think it comes down to who you are playing. I play with a group of 5-6 people and a game between each one of them will always be a laugh. The armies they bring out it is the Nids, IG and Tau that I really enjoy :skull:

Threeshades
12-08-2012, 12:19

It refers to guard armies that bring so much firepower to the table that they blow away any enemy in a few turns with little to no resistance.

Personally i have experienced it in the form of a line of tanks and chimeras that would just stand there and shoot everything they have. Cost me an entire tyranid army in 4 turns. And i barely scratched them.

TheBearminator
12-08-2012, 12:29
Hm. As I've just started collecting an IG army. But everything in it is pretty shooty, right? Besides ogryns perhaps. What should I avoid in order to not be accused of playing a leafblower army?

Threeshades
12-08-2012, 13:08
Hm. As I've just started collecting an IG army. But everything in it is pretty shooty, right? Besides ogryns perhaps. What should I avoid in order to not be accused of playing a leafblower army?

I think its the chimerae that add a lot of shots for relatively little points (multilaser, heavy bolter, perhaps a stubber and the IG squad inside). It's hard for me to say right now.

Lord Squidar
12-08-2012, 16:34
Guard can be close combat too. my best was taking straken, massive platoons of catachans and the ubiquetious bad pun for name big tanks like BFG demolisher, and surging forwards. After being charged by the wall of muscle and bad austrian accents, marine players would say "Um how many attacks at str 4 again?" and "straken really does that". Surely not as competitive as leafblower but oh so fun

Clarkson
12-08-2012, 17:53
Playing Nids with my Thousand Sons only list... I have enough firepower to not be swamped.. and tyranids get a chance to cc as most my units cant overwatch.

it ends up being a balanced game.. with maybe the last turn deciding the game...

I hate playing games where you are tabled by end of turn 2, or very close to it, because the other person fields cheese or netlists

and im hating IG with vendettas/vulture/valks... two blobs of guard platoons and a primaris psyker and the rest flyers I cant kill

d6juggernaut
12-08-2012, 23:22
Any army that gives me a challenge

murgel2006
12-08-2012, 23:48

I enjoy playing pretty much any army that is balanced and fluffy, and not min-maxed. It allows me to play more fun lists as well, because I have at least one squad of every aspect, and 3 of them almost never see the tabletop.

This and This some more.

I enjoy playing in narrative games, better even in campaigns. And I have even come to like a relatively new idea around here.
Where you have a kind of revere/game master build the army list for you and then play with it.
This came to be during a very recent campaign and works nicely.
Either you select a warlord and may select 2-3 units but the rest of the list is done by the revere. OR You hand in a selection of lists say 10. For the game you select your warlord and then chose from 2-3 preselected of those list
Result: very fluffy and balanced games.

Clarkson
13-08-2012, 04:23
This and This some more.

I enjoy playing in narrative games, better even in campaigns. And I have even come to like a relatively new idea around here.
Where you have a kind of revere/game master build the army list for you and then play with it.
This came to be during a very recent campaign and works nicely.
Either you select a warlord and may select 2-3 units but the rest of the list is done by the revere. OR You hand in a selection of lists say 10. For the game you select your warlord and then chose from 2-3 preselected of those list
Result: very fluffy and balanced games.

This would work wonders with tournies... say the TO send out balanced lists of each race, and leave it up to skill of the player to win.. it would be more fun than turning up with an army that wins the local meta or even some tournies.. to get wiped out by gits with net lists or extreme cheese

TheDoctor
13-08-2012, 06:00

First off, accept the fact that there are some people that will call any IG list leafblower.

But a list of trends to avoid:
-Take a Leman Russ in a 500 pt game, and try to claim that is a fluffly "recon army" (double negatives for taking that against a player playing his 2nd ever game)
-Taking 3+ Vendettas/Valks in a list (they were bad before, now they got super buffed in 6th)
-Taking more than 12-15 Chimeras in a 2k list

That's pretty much all the advice I can give you regarding the least fun part of playing against leafblower, without making it sound like I am whining, or that you would feel constrained by some pre-conceived bias, and hamper your list.

MyNameDidntFit
13-08-2012, 06:10

You should avoid nothing. Leafblower is a term with no meaning and is simply something people throw at any Guard list that they don't like. Play what you want ;)

Archonsod
13-08-2012, 08:49
Craftworld Eldar with my DE. Nearly always ends up a complete massacre on both sides.

HereBeDragons
13-08-2012, 11:08
Orks are always fun! I just love their crazy approach, especially when the controlling player has the right mindset :D

Cap'n Facebeard
13-08-2012, 11:17
I used to 'enjoy' playing against Eldar in 3.5 ed, back when they were the broken army and my Orks were the craptacular army. Always was an uphill struggle but if my guys made it to combat it was a good feeling. I guess the shoe's on the other foot now, but I haven't played against them since then.

Max_Killfactor
13-08-2012, 12:19
The green tide.

I always feel so overwhelmed in the beginning as I'm trying to figure out how to pick them apart.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
13-08-2012, 12:29
I play in a small group. There used to be four of us but now there is only three. I regularly face Guard and marines and one of the guys sometimes uses Eldar. Out of the three I prefer the Eldar. Marines second and Guard the least.

The member who left used to use Space Wolves. That was the most fun. Why? Because he used refuse to use Blood Claws. He would stick Ragnar in a Landraider and he'd never come out it. In one game he rushed forward with a wall tight against his left flank a wall on his right and my Terminators flush against the front ramp. So he couldn't get out. I drove a rhino up it's back in the next turn so he was stuck for theorist of the game. What a laugh. His wolves tended to move backwards as well. Unwolfy in my opinion. He did stupid stuff all the time.

Gertjan
13-08-2012, 13:38
I most love playing against an army that is well painted and has a player using it that has a sense of humor and is a fun person to game with. Other than that, I could not care less. It's not the codex that makes an army horrid to play against, it's the player.

Azulthar
13-08-2012, 15:58
Sisters of Battle, Imperial Guard. Maybe Tau as well. Eldar can also be fun.

Armies with more extreme strengths and weaknesses, that can still fall back and have variable saves.

jason_sation
13-08-2012, 16:01
The most fun games I've had are against Orks and Imperial Guard (I play guard). I love horde/low armor armies because it really is fun to do something such as fire a battle cannon, and see tons of guys being pulled off the table. Also, the Orks have a lot of fun rules (such as Ramshackle) than make it great when you do something to them as an added bonus. To me it isn't as much fun to fire all of my guns at 5 Terminators and see 1 pulled off after failing a save, even if it is the same 20% loss of a unit that a squad of Boyz would have lost.

viv714r
13-08-2012, 16:48
Marines against hordes. No deathstars, no MSU, just marines back to back firing on the approaching horde then a heroic do-or-die counter assault. It's not been on the front of about every Marine codex cover for nothing. Helps if the attacker has more points and recycable troops.

Bonzai
13-08-2012, 16:51
I most love playing against an army that is well painted and has a player using it that has a sense of humor and is a fun person to game with. Other than that, I could not care less. It's not the codex that makes an army horrid to play against, it's the player.

This! What gets boring is a hord of bare, or black base coated power armor lists. Give me some variety and flavor in what I'm playing against, and I am happy.

Tarax
14-08-2012, 09:18
Marines against hordes. No deathstars, no MSU, just marines back to back firing on the approaching horde then a heroic do-or-die counter assault. It's not been on the front of about every Marine codex cover for nothing. Helps if the attacker has more points and recycable troops.

More or less this. No big monsters or vehicles. Some tactics required. More like the stories and images.
A fully painted army and a great opponent also do wonders.