PDA

View Full Version : Communities thoughts on a possible Allies Suppliment?

Cap'n Shings
12-08-2012, 21:24
So with the inclusion of allies in 6th Ed and the huge 40k/LoTR rumour dump I have seen talk of an Allies supplement. Just speculation Im sure but certainly speculation with cause.

So, I wanted to see what peoples opinions were about the possibility. Would you welcome such a supplement with open arms or abhore it like Xeno scum? How does everyone think it would affect the game and balance of play? What units and SC would you like to see?

So yeah, if you have an answer to any of those questions or want to talk about any other Allies Supplement topics, please feel free to contribute.

Son of Morkai
12-08-2012, 21:38
I've wanted one since 3rd. Now that allies are back in... hell yes this book should exist. And while they're at it, bring back Chapter Approved!

Cap'n Shings
12-08-2012, 21:44
I am pretty new to the game so I never had the pleasure of Chapter Approved! Lots of people seem quite fond of it though!

I would be pretty happy with an Allies book. Just looking at the list you can see stuff like Death Watch, Genestealer Cults and Exodites and realise this book could support forces that cannot support books themselves.

Charax
12-08-2012, 21:44
I love the idea, it's a natural fit for the allies rules, it goes back to old concepts (like Imperial Agents! Freebooters! Genestealer Cults! Exodites!) and it allows the introduction of mini-armies that can see widespread use while not constituting a full new force.

Of course it's a money grab - it always is. just like when the Giant came out in WFB and suddenly half a dozen armies could take it, and when the stormtalon came out, but who cares? the only slight concern is that it'll push back new releases, because some armies need a codex update more than I need a cool new unit, but if it's all in one supplement? I can get behind that.

Nothing but love for this idea, this grognard heartily approves

The Dire Troll
12-08-2012, 21:54
I think its a fantastic idea, and it would not just fade out, the input of new aliens over time would keep things fresh and let the design team go crazy. Would love it if my orks could have loads of allies, Dog soldiers come to mind.

Angelwing
12-08-2012, 21:55
yes please.

Cap'n Shings
12-08-2012, 22:06
I think its a fantastic idea, and it would not just fade out, the input of new aliens over time would keep things fresh and let the design team go crazy. Would love it if my orks could have loads of allies, Dog soldiers come to mind.

Im pretty sure Dog Soldiers were one of the more obscure units on the rumour list? Wouldnt mind a squad of those myself.

Chem-Dog
12-08-2012, 22:15
My opinion of this kind of thing is on record (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?344642-Does-the-return-of-Allies-herald-the-return-of-the-quot-Minidex-quot-supplement). :D

The rumour drop, could suggest something pretty huge like this. Certainly I would have never expected to see the Cabal of Legion fame getting to be a playable faction....

Charax
12-08-2012, 22:26
I'd be a bit uneasy about the Cabal suddenly turning up on dozens of battlefields all over the galaxy

The Dire Troll
12-08-2012, 22:43
Im pretty sure Dog Soldiers were one of the more obscure units on the rumour list? Wouldnt mind a squad of those myself. You are right, it was that and the awesome art for them in the new rule book that is making me want them. Would love a zoat or two as well.

Chem-Dog
12-08-2012, 22:50
I'd be a bit uneasy about the Cabal suddenly turning up on dozens of battlefields all over the galaxy

Oh, they do that already....you just aren't privy to the information....:shifty:

Cap'n Shings
12-08-2012, 22:57
You are right, it was that and the awesome art for them in the new rule book that is making me want them. Would love a zoat or two as well.

There are pics of them in the rulebook?? Man, I really need to get through that thing. Any idea of a page?

GodlessM
12-08-2012, 22:58
Only rumours I heard were an allies supplement for Fantasy, not 40k. After all, why bother when they just gave every army access to most stuff from most other armies?

Cap'n Shings
12-08-2012, 23:42
Only rumours I heard were an allies supplement for Fantasy, not 40k. After all, why bother when they just gave every army access to most stuff from most other armies?

There hasn't been any rumour as such. Just speculation. When you look at the list of rumoured releases its eay to see why.

Mechanicus Battle-Servitors / Khorne Caedes Engines
Cabal Tarellian Cotor with Dragontongue
Imperial Agents Deathwatch Kill Team
Patriarch Dumas, The Veiled Fiend

The above are just a few of the units mentioned that dont really fit into any Codex like?

Plus, the inclusion of allies rules could have infact been making way for an allies supplement?

The Dire Troll
13-08-2012, 00:00
There are pics of them in the rulebook?? Man, I really need to get through that thing. Any idea of a page? I dont own a copy yet, need to get around to that. But I did save a copy of said picture when it popped op on the forums. Enjoy. 147921

Erazmus_M_Wattle
13-08-2012, 00:42
I think it's a great idea. It allows them to enrich the 40k universe by exploring areas that would otherwise never be revealed. The universe is diverse and rich in cool ideas. It alludes to many lesser civilisations and imperial organisations that they just wouldn't or couldn't expand into a full army. Under the old way of doing things we'd never see them.

I just hope if they are going to go down this route they continue to support it and continually add to it. It would be s pity if it was just a flash in the pan.

Zoats? Yes please. Dog Soldiers? Yes please. K'nib, Mechanicus, more obscure assassins; all could have a welcome place in my collection. The weirder the better. :)

carldooley
13-08-2012, 00:53
allies for tyranids, please! even if only IG for death cults and Necrons for extinction allies they would be great. . .

Lord Inquisitor
13-08-2012, 01:09
Deathwatch and genestealer cults? I might love 6th after all.

GodlessM
13-08-2012, 01:21
There hasn't been any rumour as such. Just speculation. When you look at the list of rumoured releases its eay to see why.

Mechanicus Battle-Servitors / Khorne Caedes Engines
Cabal Tarellian Cotor with Dragontongue
Imperial Agents Deathwatch Kill Team
Patriarch Dumas, The Veiled Fiend

The above are just a few of the units mentioned that dont really fit into any Codex like?

Plus, the inclusion of allies rules could have infact been making way for an allies supplement?

The chances that either (a) these rumours were false or (b) these will be part of a new Codex are much higher than there'll be a random and unnecessary allies supplement.

Lord Inquisitor
13-08-2012, 01:31
The other possibility is a series of small mini expansions in white dwarf like the daemons update. An imperial agents mini-dex seems entirely plausible.

Charistoph
13-08-2012, 05:05
The other possibility is a series of small mini expansions in white dwarf like the daemons update. An imperial agents mini-dex seems entirely plausible.

Agreed. They've been doing this for the last year, in a way. It's not officially Chapter Approved! anymore, but it's the same thing, in the end. I imagine their stall and registration numbers have begun to grow because of it just like they dropped when they discontinued the article.

Daemonia
13-08-2012, 06:28
If they brought a Chapter Approved deal back I'd buy White Dwarf again. I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that.

Baaltor
13-08-2012, 06:41
Oh, they do that already....you just aren't privy to the information....:shifty:

Yeah, like Candle Jack, only the Caba-

EvilFuzzyDoom
13-08-2012, 07:31
I dont own a copy yet, need to get around to that. But I did save a copy of said picture when it popped op on the forums. Enjoy.
I spy a Zoat!

Lord Damocles
13-08-2012, 08:40
From a background and model perspective, it's a great move, and one which should have happened years ago. Hopefully GW won't just bung out a single Codex: Allies, but will have stand-alone mini-lists etc. in White Dwarf.

From a rules perspective, it will probably give far more of a boost to Imperial/human factions than Xenos factions, but then that's what you get for not playing a proper army, I suppose...

Baneboss
13-08-2012, 08:57
I wouldnt mind at all if they released an allies supplement codex. The way i see it, it would be similar to WFB Dogs of War. It would contain detachments like:

- Deathwatch
- Genestealer Cult
- Demiurg
- Adeptus Mechanicus
- Adeptus Arbites
etc

Each would have 1-2 entrys in HQs, Elites, Troops, FA, Heavy (so not enough to be considered an army of their own) and have their own ally matrix (so, at last something for Tyranids to ally in form of Geneastealer Cult). Ofcourse such a codex would require a dozen new models. Those that would sell well could even be expanded into an army of their own given time.

Wishing
13-08-2012, 09:32
If they brought a Chapter Approved deal back I'd buy White Dwarf again. I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that.

One might wonder why they stopped doing Chapter Approved articles in the first place since everyone loves them so much....

lordbeefy
13-08-2012, 10:20
I would love an allies type list with the potential for imperial agents and deathwatch kill teams etc. it would be an interesting gaming addition and good marketing. Fingers crossed!

Cap'n Shings
13-08-2012, 10:43
I dont own a copy yet, need to get around to that. But I did save a copy of said picture when it popped op on the forums. Enjoy. 147921

Why thankyou! Thats a pretty good piece!

Whitetip
13-08-2012, 13:29
I can only see this as a positive move for GW. They seem to be actively trying to get some of the 'old timers' (sorry guys) back on board with the recent retro rules and models and new models are always going to be welcome. A possible Allies codex or supplement gives them license to really explore the more esoteric or just plain weird corners of the 40k universe and I wholeheartedly approve.

kane40k
13-08-2012, 15:28
I love the idea :) I hope they do it, It seems like its set up for it, surely theyre missing a trick if they dont. . . Plus the way they can explore more of the background. . That would be amazing.

Bonzai
13-08-2012, 16:44
I could certainly get behind some small allied forces. Just a very small force with maybe one option for each slot. Not enough for a full codex. Examples: Mechanum, Eclesiarchy, Deathwatch, Legion of the Damned, Inquisition, Gene Stealer Cults, Corsairs, Free Booters, Kroot Mercenaries, Mutants/beastmen, The Cabal, Exodites.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Cap'n Shings
13-08-2012, 16:51
I love the idea :) I hope they do it, It seems like its set up for it, surely theyre missing a trick if they dont. . . Plus the way they can explore more of the background. . That would be amazing.

Agreed! It just seems like such an obvious more at this point. Why would they pass it up?

I could certainly get behind some small allied forces. Just a very small force with maybe one option for each slot. Not enough for a full codex. Examples: Mechanum, Eclesiarchy, Deathwatch, Legion of the Damned, Inquisition, Gene Stealer Cults, Corsairs, Free Booters, Kroot Mercenaries, Mutants/beastmen, The Cabal, Exodites.

Those are just off the top of my head.

You know what I like about this list? Its not IoM top heavy, plenty of Xeno love. Could even fit Hrud in though they were not on the rumoured list.

Lord Inquisitor
13-08-2012, 19:53
Agreed! It just seems like such an obvious more at this point. Why would they pass it up?
Many reasons. Make a list, then you have to keep supporting it or people feel betrayed. Not too bad in the case of Craftworld Eldar where the later book was designed to allow people to use their variant armies, but people complain about the loss of lost and the damned or 13th company all the way back to the squats. Furthermore, the more you get side-tracked with cool little fringe projects that appeal to a minority, you are neglecting whole armies that are two editions out of date. Bring out Deathwatch Space Marines and the Eldar and Ork players aren't going to be thrilled at more space marines. Never mind that an army revision is bread and butter for GW.

The allies system is a good way to get new fringe projects out with a minimum of effort (and consequently a minimum of disruption to the existing army release schedule). I'm excited about the possibilities, but there are a lot of reasons why they haven't been doing it and there are downsides of course.

Scammel
13-08-2012, 19:57
K'nib

Of Glass Elavator fame?

Aryllon
13-08-2012, 20:24
Many reasons. Make a list, then you have to keep supporting it or people feel betrayed. Not too bad in the case of Craftworld Eldar where the later book was designed to allow people to use their variant armies, but people complain about the loss of lost and the damned or 13th company all the way back to the squats. Furthermore, the more you get side-tracked with cool little fringe projects that appeal to a minority, you are neglecting whole armies that are two editions out of date. Bring out Deathwatch Space Marines and the Eldar and Ork players aren't going to be thrilled at more space marines. Never mind that an army revision is bread and butter for GW.

The allies system is a good way to get new fringe projects out with a minimum of effort (and consequently a minimum of disruption to the existing army release schedule). I'm excited about the possibilities, but there are a lot of reasons why they haven't been doing it and there are downsides of course.

Very true (cue "wtf more marines?!" from me... I do like & have marines, but having left the hobby in 1997 then coming back 2008 to find that Eldar stuff from early 90s was still kicking about... and 4 years on still no update... yeah getting impatient!).
Although, they did recently hire a bunch of extra designers and painters... which alludes to a ramped-up production schedule or rules ready / need models, models ready / need to be painted up.

Lord Inquisitor
13-08-2012, 20:36
Of Glass Elavator fame?

How awesome would that be? Vermicious Knids would kick **** in 40K! The only downside would be you'd never get the first turn as they would be writing SCRAM...

More seriously, how cool would Enslavers be as an "allied" (or rather, mindslaving) force?

Charistoph
13-08-2012, 20:39
More seriously, how cool would Enslavers be as an "allied" (or rather, mindslaving) force?

Considering that explains how the Necrons can ally with so many people... sort of.

Charax
13-08-2012, 20:51

Damn you. Now I'm going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen

wanderingblade
14-08-2012, 01:31

Beeecause

a) It's a book they can sell to every gorram 40K player out there
b) Models they can sell to every 40K player out there
c) It allows them to playtest potential army ideas in a halfway house form - if a particular Allies force really catches on, then they've got a potential for a new army

and
d) It allows them to bring back stuff like all the Hairyqueens stuff, Genestealer cults, Exodites and so on, thus topping up the goodwill from the grumbling grognards.

To me, this makes large amounts of sense. Seriously, the only reason they won't do this (assuming an average level of intelligence) is that they instead plan to release it all in White Dwarf... and then in a collected codex form a bit later. It makes sense and hell, I want it.

I appreciate that there are Eldar/Tau/Ork players out there thinking "Dude! Where's my codex!" and that the former two at least probably deserve precedence. But in the grand scheme of things? It's not a biggie.

Cap'n Facebeard
14-08-2012, 06:12
Making these supposed lists in White Dwarf would certainly address the allegedly flagging sales of the magazine. I would love it if they did it as long as they didn't turn around and invalidate all the lists / allies a short time later (yes I'm still burnt up about Eye of Terror and Storm of Chaos)

Wishing
14-08-2012, 10:31
It does make sense that one reason why they wouldn't do this is that they don't want to be committed to supporting these mini-races in the future. Allies could easily be removed from the game again in 7th edition, and then people would forever after complain about how they can no longer use their Genestealer Cult allies like they could in 6th.

Daemonia
14-08-2012, 10:51
It does make sense that one reason why they wouldn't do this is that they don't want to be committed to supporting these mini-races in the future. Allies could easily be removed from the game again in 7th edition, and then people would forever after complain about how they can no longer use their Genestealer Cult allies like they could in 6th.

With how much excitement there is about Genestealer Cults on here, I'm quite amazed. They weren't very popular back in the day with anyone I played with or even talked to. A couple of people were totally obsessed with them (and their gunned-up limos) but beyond that there really wasn't much interest. If I can be ignorant of a desire to collect and play this army, maybe Games Workshop can be too? There's been endless rumblings forever and a day about Lost and the Damned lists but they have plenty of reasonable options to field those forces with existing armies (probably because of the desire to have them). If there is a great desire to field Genestealer Cults, surely Allies supplments/books/Chapter Approved would be a great way to do it.

Olith
14-08-2012, 11:03

That's all well and good as motivation to not do it, but I don't see it stopping them because as you point out they continue to have such behaviour. Despite the community's complaining they also still continue to leave whole armies with nothing new and many models poor choices to field for years on end.

nosebiter
14-08-2012, 11:18
As for the genestealer cult. No one I know has ever had any interest in them either. And don't confuse internet popularity with actual, most of the time it is just an extremely vocal minority.

But an allies mini dex or series of WD articles could be fun.

Mostly for the possibility of getting some of the more esoteric aliens.

Cap'n Shings
14-08-2012, 11:31

I see what you mean about how it could agitate some (Xeno) players and how it could push Codex releases backwards. But surely such a release would be benefit everyone. By the looks of it for every Deathwatch Killteam there is a Genestealer Cult. From the (admittedly rumoured) list it looks like they are spreading the love.

Beeecause

a) It's a book they can sell to every gorram 40K player out there
b) Models they can sell to every 40K player out there
c) It allows them to playtest potential army ideas in a halfway house form - if a particular Allies force really catches on, then they've got a potential for a new army

and
d) It allows them to bring back stuff like all the Hairyqueens stuff, Genestealer cults, Exodites and so on, thus topping up the goodwill from the grumbling grognards.

To me, this makes large amounts of sense. Seriously, the only reason they won't do this (assuming an average level of intelligence) is that they instead plan to release it all in White Dwarf... and then in a collected codex form a bit later. It makes sense and hell, I want it.

I appreciate that there are Eldar/Tau/Ork players out there thinking "Dude! Where's my codex!" and that the former two at least probably deserve precedence. But in the grand scheme of things? It's not a biggie.

This all makes sense to me.

Wishing
14-08-2012, 11:58
With how much excitement there is about Genestealer Cults on here, I'm quite amazed. They weren't very popular back in the day with anyone I played with or even talked to. A couple of people were totally obsessed with them (and their gunned-up limos) but beyond that there really wasn't much interest. If I can be ignorant of a desire to collect and play this army, maybe Games Workshop can be too? There's been endless rumblings forever and a day about Lost and the Damned lists but they have plenty of reasonable options to field those forces with existing armies (probably because of the desire to have them). If there is a great desire to field Genestealer Cults, surely Allies supplments/books/Chapter Approved would be a great way to do it.

As for the genestealer cult. No one I know has ever had any interest in them either. And don't confuse internet popularity with actual, most of the time it is just an extremely vocal minority.

I agree with this. I think the main reason it seems like stealer cult, squats, hrud, etc. are popular is that people find things they don't have to be endlessly fascinating. Once they have them, the excitement often fades. So even though loads of people here would sign an internet petition to bring back an old obscure army, or introduce an esoteric new alien race, that doesn't mean that they would sell well or be popular in any real well after a real world release.

lordbeefy
14-08-2012, 15:08
I do tend tothink that agreat many people claim tO have ran genestealer cult lists or similar because it is 'cool' to say they did. Tbh they were fun but not competitive armies. Now i Play for fun but most people i encounter these days play for the win. I can see this allies dex suggestion as perfect in this regard. Individually the entries wont be powerful or popular enough to warrant a dedicated army book, but as a supplement they will be perfect. For people like me who construct their armies around fluff (i use punisher tank and grenade launchers on my veteran ig units) this type of supplement would be a boon and to be quite honest the prospect terrifies my wife at the though of the time and money i will invest in it if the rumour is accurate!

Commissar Merces
14-08-2012, 15:17
I am all for expansion of allies as long as they keep sisters as their OWN codex. I would like to see inquisitors come out as units that can ally with any imperial army as well with assassins and other goodies that can be thrown in. Even if these are WD or Chapter Approved units, I say bring it on. That is the kind of thing I would pay the cash for WD for.

boogle
14-08-2012, 21:28
I'd love to see them do this, it would make a rogue trader army such fun, i'd personally love to see the following units:

Hrud
Stealer Cult
K'nib
Kroot (expanded)
Arbites
Ad mech
Squats
Beastmen

this would give GW the perfect opportunity to release units to guage interest and possibly if a certain things sell well, possibly get turned into an army (Like Necrons, Grey Knights and Sisters did)

Aryllon
14-08-2012, 22:04
I'd love to see them do this, it would make a rogue trader army such fun, i'd personally love to see the following units:

Hrud
Stealer Cult
K'nib
Kroot (expanded)
Arbites
Ad mech
Squats
Beastmen

this would give GW the perfect opportunity to release units to guage interest and possibly if a certain things sell well, possibly get turned into an army (Like Necrons, Grey Knights and Sisters did)

It's all about Exodites :)
Oh and Slann!!

Dinoriders have AWESOME written all over their scaly hides!

would deffo be interested in stealer cults though, the models could be ridiculously cool & far more tempting than mere cattle-nids.

Lord Inquisitor
14-08-2012, 22:18
Stealer cults also have the advantage that Purestrains already have a relatively new plastic kit (indeed, they've had many plastic kits over the years). A wide variety of Imperial Guard kits fills out most of the army. All you really need is a multi-purpose plastic hybrid kit and you can basically make the army.

... Unless you make a plastic limo kit. That would be awesome, but doesn't seem to be on the leaked info.

Cap'n Shings
14-08-2012, 23:02
It's all about Exodites :)
Oh and Slann!!

Dinoriders have AWESOME written all over their scaly hides!

would deffo be interested in stealer cults though, the models could be ridiculously cool & far more tempting than mere cattle-nids.

Dinoriders???? Who are these Dinoriders? The Exodites? I dont understand why there aren't any Dino's in 40k.

Stealer cults also have the advantage that Purestrains already have a relatively new plastic kit (indeed, they've had many plastic kits over the years). A wide variety of Imperial Guard kits fills out most of the army. All you really need is a multi-purpose plastic hybrid kit and you can basically make the army.

... Unless you make a plastic limo kit. That would be awesome, but doesn't seem to be on the leaked info.

As someone who is relativley new to the game, I admit my fluff is not always so great. Could you please explain the Limo thing? Is it a big joke? It just doesnt seem very 40kish?

Wishing
14-08-2012, 23:18
I've always wondered why the heck the stealer cult had limos too. My guess is that an early studio pioneer built a stealer cult warband and just happened to have a plastic airfix limo kit lying around and decided to add it to his force. Ie. utter randomness.

All Cing Eye
15-08-2012, 01:01
I think it is a great Idea.

It will be a good way to add new factions that don't require a whole codex and a great way to introduce new xenos and game mechanics as a sort of test bed, and if they become popular can spin them off into a whole new codex.

Also a lot of existing Imperial factions would work better IMHO as allies for all imperial forces instead of being put into different codexes

Such as: Assassins, Inquisitiors, Deathwatch, Mechanicus, Arbites, Rogue Traders, etc.

As for Xenos I just really want to see some Q'Orl Swarmhood models.

Lothlanathorian
15-08-2012, 03:45
One might wonder why they stopped doing Chapter Approved articles in the first place since everyone loves them so much....

Probably because Andy Chambers, who wrote most of it, left GW. We already know that armies get new books based almost exclusively on which writer feels like writing what, so it isn't really a huge leap in logic to get to 'A.C. write C.A., he leaves, it goes away, it stopped because he is gone.'

I've always wondered why the heck the stealer cult had limos too. My guess is that an early studio pioneer built a stealer cult warband and just happened to have a plastic airfix limo kit lying around and decided to add it to his force. Ie. utter randomness.

This would fit with 90% of anything old school GW had/did. Tycho was originally just the name of some studio chap's Space Marine Captain in a Battle Report back in the day. There are countless other examples, but, my brain has decided to keep those doors locked at the moment :mad:

Balerion
15-08-2012, 03:55
Each would have 1-2 entrys in HQs, Elites, Troops, FA, Heavy (so not enough to be considered an army of their own) and have their own ally matrix (so, at last something for Tyranids to ally in form of Geneastealer Cult).
I think 'stealer cults will probably be an IG ally, not a Tyranid one. But it still gives Tyranid players a new direction in which to expand their army.

Lord Inquisitor
15-08-2012, 04:45
Dinoriders???? Who are these Dinoriders? The Exodites? I dont understand why there aren't any Dino's in 40k.
There are few exodite models (for epic) and a couple of pieces of artwork, some of their maiden worlds are populated by large dinosaur type creatures and they ride them into battle. :cheese:

As someone who is relativley new to the game, I admit my fluff is not always so great. Could you please explain the Limo thing? Is it a big joke? It just doesnt seem very 40kish?
Ha, the fluff was that the cult leaders are highly affluent and influential - and grotesquely alien. So they travel around in armoured limos with tinted windows - gets them around without being seen. Come the revolution, the armoured limos are still used as transports for the coven leaders in battle because they're usually pretty strapped for true APCs (plus far more comfortable).

Lothlanathorian
15-08-2012, 06:29
I think 'stealer cults will probably be an IG ally, not a Tyranid one. But it still gives Tyranid players a new direction in which to expand their army.

I would expect that a 'Stealer Cult would swing both ways for that. As an IG ally for 'before' and a Tyranid ally for 'during' (because 'after' is just one big 'ol meat milkshake).

Cap'n Shings
15-08-2012, 10:22
There are few exodite models (for epic) and a couple of pieces of artwork, some of their maiden worlds are populated by large dinosaur type creatures and they ride them into battle. :cheese:

Ha, the fluff was that the cult leaders are highly affluent and influential - and grotesquely alien. So they travel around in armoured limos with tinted windows - gets them around without being seen. Come the revolution, the armoured limos are still used as transports for the coven leaders in battle because they're usually pretty strapped for true APCs (plus far more comfortable).

Thanks for clearing that up Lord Inquisitor, the Limo thing had been bugging me for the last two years.

Man, I love dinosaurs but not so much Eldar. Now If there were some Catachans riding round on the back of Raptors, then I would get so giddy.

Wishing
15-08-2012, 11:34
Probably because Andy Chambers, who wrote most of it, left GW. We already know that armies get new books based almost exclusively on which writer feels like writing what, so it isn't really a huge leap in logic to get to 'A.C. write C.A., he leaves, it goes away, it stopped because he is gone.'

Fair enough. I guess that means that if we get lots of old school and esoteric models and rules thanks to ally forces, that would be because one of the GW designers has found an enthusiasm for these things. In which case, let's just hope that he can maintain that enthusiasm long enough for the trend to last as long as CA did.

Ragnar69
15-08-2012, 11:35
Thanks for clearing that up Lord Inquisitor, the Limo thing had been bugging me for the last two years.

Man, I love dinosaurs but not so much Eldar. Now If there were some Catachans riding round on the back of Raptors, then I would get so giddy.
Oi, if I will ever get back to playing Catachans I'm now very tempted to steal my Dark Elves Cold Ones to do some Rough Rider conversions.....

Charax
15-08-2012, 12:00
Old idea is Old. People have been doing Cold One Rough Riders for years, the 3rd edition IG codex had a regiment that used them and I think they even had rules at some point.

Stegadon Chimera? Carnosaurus Russ?

Ragnar69
15-08-2012, 12:21
I haven't played for six years, must have forgotten, but now that you mention it...

.....now I remember why I found some extra cold ones when rumaging for my army, I already wanted to do it years ago :D

Suddenly everything becomes clear ;)

Lothlanathorian
15-08-2012, 17:30
Fair enough. I guess that means that if we get lots of old school and esoteric models and rules thanks to ally forces, that would be because one of the GW designers has found an enthusiasm for these things. In which case, let's just hope that he can maintain that enthusiasm long enough for the trend to last as long as CA did.

I'm hoping that it won't just be one mad, enthusiastic super nerd this time around, but, a whole studio full of them. I haven't actually cared enough about 40K to play a game or collect a full army since the end of 3rd and now I can't wait for the new Chaos book, to see what's after that and to build me some expensive toys to pew pew at my friends with :D

I am a fan of the allies idea and sincerely hope that WD will have Chapter Approved style mini-lists or possibly 'Index [insert appropriate half-Latin word]' with mini-Dex's thrown in for whatever minor race/force/faction is mentioned in that article and a new model or three to go along with them. This looks like a possible renaissance of 'The Hobby' to me. And if it isn't, then I will be sad. So very, very sad. Right in my heart.

Aryllon
15-08-2012, 20:40
I'm thinking of kit-smashing a few bits together to make allied 'mercs' for my craftworld (see fluff if bothered!). Probably 'counts as Orks' to reflect the mish-mash of resources they have & not to mention total lack of proper military organisation or respect for heirarchy.

So these additional rumoured humanoid races make me very excited!

Venator counts as warbuggy is already pencilled in, maybe Lelith counts as Snikrot... then the new stuff has got me buzzing! Dog soldier piloting a deff dred maybe?!

tiger g
15-08-2012, 22:25
This would be great. Bring on the IG dog soldiers