PDA

View Full Version : Fandex's/Fan Suppliments? Do you use them?

kane40k
13-08-2012, 15:37
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have ever used fan made additions to 40k? by this i mean someone els's not your own?
Why am i asking this? Well after reading various forgeworld books, seeing the thread on the allies suppliment and talking to my gaming group back home, I was thinking id like to do something simular. I'll do it wether it gets used or not, it would be a fun project anyway, and i think the boys at home are up for it. I have a lot of ideas, A conflict book, an allies list of my own and a list of just additional units/apocalypse sheets. This was topped off by watching The Mummy and deciding that to get one of the Items my chaos lord has, he had to retrieve it from a temple loaded with undead (however not chaotic or necron, think Tomb kings looking).

So i figured why not for the hell of it. Im just wondering what do you guys look for if you do use a fan made suppliment?

Cheers guys.

loveless
13-08-2012, 15:48
For Apocalypse, I'm all for it. Let's go do crazy nonsensical super everything and have a laugh.

For standard games (especially if several players are doing tournament prep, which is the current mode most of the local community is in due to a tourney next week), I'd rather not.

If I'm trying to hone my skills, I'd rather go with "official" rules (so codices and FW books). If I'm just looking to have fun, sure I'll try something out - assuming you let me look over your alterations ahead of time.

Same goes for a campaign - let everyone look at the craziness ahead of time. If everyone agrees, then go for it. I just know if I'm trying to get ready for a competition of sorts, I'm not going to want to go up against fan-made undead. If I'm just looking to kill time and have fun, sure - I'll pit my Dark Eldar against your not-Tomb Kings :p

ForgottenLore
13-08-2012, 16:28
Absolutely.

I consider Kroot Mercs to be one of my primary armies and use the Kompletely Kroot fandex from here

http://z8.invisionfree.com/KompletelyKroot/index.php?

Not that I actually get to play it very often.

I also encourage groups to help design cool new units for each other's armies, to say nothing of I feel you should always come up with your own special characters.

Charax
13-08-2012, 16:32
I used to write them all the time, but now I barely look at them. I don't have anything against other people using them but I don't especially want them in my 40K.

Cap'n Shings
13-08-2012, 16:47
I have never played with or against a Fandex but I certainly would. As long as it looked balanced I would have no problem with it.

Leth Shyish'phak
13-08-2012, 17:11
I find that people are generally ok with it, as long as you tell them before the start of the game (obviously), explain what units you have and what they do, and let them look through the rules whenever they want.

Going to take my new Dark Angels codex to my local GW tomorrow, knowing my luck, now that I've posted this everyone will refuse to play against it... :rolleyes:

But like Cap'n Shings says, make sure you put some effort into balancing it, we had one guy who came in with an Iron Hands codex (I didn't play against it, just watched) where tactical marines were 19 points each, had We'll Be Back, tank hunters and a special weapon as standard. :wtf:

Nurgling Chieftain
13-08-2012, 18:19
The Grey Knights codex still seems like a fandex to me. :p

Threeshades
14-08-2012, 13:34
I love to write them, but more for the sake of writing them than to actually use them.

I would use them if i got to play more often, but since i get like two games a year, if I'm lucky, i prefer to play the game unmodified.

Hendarion
14-08-2012, 13:38
I'm not using them.

comradeda
14-08-2012, 14:26
One of my friends is writing an Admech one. Unfortunately, he balanced most of the points costs and power levels against standard Imperial Guard, with relatively predictable results.

Ambience 327
14-08-2012, 16:37
I have used others rules from time to time. I try to only use those I consider balanced and fun though. No point in winning with a way-OP list just because "that is how that force should be". Obviously, one look at my sig will tell you I write my own as well.

kane40k
14-08-2012, 16:48
I hear what you guys are saying, there is a time and place, and it needs to be balanced to keep the fun in the game. I'm trying to base the stat lines and points off already existing units, thats what will take most of the work i think. . . the balancing part. Which is probably the most important part. It's good to hear what you all have to say. Time to get to work :) If only GW operated like that :L keep an eye out hopefully ill have something soon. It looks like my gaming group at the local Indie Store are up for backing the idea too. . This could be a fun project with a nice end result! :)

boogle
14-08-2012, 21:23
I used the old Arbites one back in 3rd/4th ed, but nothing since then, but i'm hopefully going to work on a Death Watch codex sometime on the future

Wishing
14-08-2012, 23:22
I've only used my own house rules, not anyone else's directly. But I've taken inspiration from rules written by others when writing my own. :)