PDA

View Full Version : What odd skin colors have you painted you armies?

Hudson Gameover
13-08-2012, 21:07
My Ogre army has very dark purple skin which I think goes well with red rusty armour.

What skin colors have you gone for that is not considered the norm?

Leogun_91
13-08-2012, 21:14
I tend to follow the norm in skin colours and yellowish warhounds and an Albino Varghulf is the closest I come (not counting using GWs last ed skin colour for beastmen as most of them are from that edition and only a few are painted by me).

The Dire Troll
13-08-2012, 21:16
For my vampire counts every single miniature has a different skin tone, I lots of pale tones, purples, browns, greens, and I like to make my vampires look like some kind of energy is flowing through them, by giving them a very noticeable base-coat. So yeah lots'o skin variety I would not have it any other way.

TornadoCreator
13-08-2012, 21:47
I haven't personally done any abnormal colour schemes, one army I did see once on another forum was an Empire army made up to look African. All the models had a dark skin tone, and the dress had an imperial Morrocan/Tunisian look to it. The army was made to represent Araby using the Empire army list and a stand in, and it worked really well, but it was also featured in a magazine for racial equality for having a majority black army in contrast to the assumed majority white "human" culture assumed in modern fantasy settings. I'm not one for forcing racial issues in hobbies that have nothing to do with race, but it's nice to see someone using the hobby to promote equality. Oddly enough the man who made the army was white, so yeah... guess he just liked Araby.

Drasanil
13-08-2012, 21:47
No weird skin tones, I don't play chaos :)

Lorcryst
13-08-2012, 21:52
Uhhh, well ... my greenskins are different shades of green, but that's the expected norm these days ...

I do have a couple of models with "special" paint schemes : my Warhounds of Chaos have a grey base with a wash of blue on it ... but that's all from me, I tend to follow the accepted standards :p

Djekar
13-08-2012, 22:12
I have a slightly grey-ish elf flesh color for my Dark Elves which you would think falls into the acceptable norm, but almost everyone I know has tried to convince me that I should paint them with black skin and white hair (like Drow), so maybe I'm in the minority here...

ArtificerArmour
13-08-2012, 22:50
Albino beastmen for me, but not that unuaual really

Kronogor
13-08-2012, 23:20
My main Beastmen Army is blue skin and white fur/hair; I guess what makes it odd is that it is not Tzeentch themed at all, I just enjoy the color scheme.

underscore
13-08-2012, 23:38
My Skaven are all albino desert rats. Though I am pondering doing my Grey Seer with black fur, just to be contrary. :)

-Totenkopf-
14-08-2012, 00:58
my all time fav is the orc n gobbo list all painted in normal skin tones... it was so creepy.. and fitting

TornadoCreator
14-08-2012, 01:21
my all time fav is the orc n gobbo list all painted in normal skin tones... it was so creepy.. and fitting

Nice, I'd never considered that colour scheme before. I'd love to see that on the table.

Nymie_the_Pooh
14-08-2012, 02:12
My 40K Orks have white skin with a slight blue shading. The idea was taken from Lobo Infanticide where there is an army of his bastich kids that come together to form an army to kill him. In other armies there hasn't been an overall unusual skin tone, but I will do a mix of skin tones in the same army. I get tired of everybody looking alike and want some cultural diversity (and something to break up the boredom of painting the same skin tone over and over again). I will do more nontraditional skin tones for individual models in other games. In Confrontation for instance I had a bunch of Dwarves with skintones inspired by those found in parts of Africa. Skin tones have been all over the place for use in roleplaying games and dungeon crawls however.

someone2040
14-08-2012, 02:19
My original Ogres I got when the Ogres first came out were painted Blue. I wanted to do a Warcraft-esque inspired Ogre army (More do-able even now with Firebellies and access to other lores!).

But Ogres since then for my Dogs of War have had normal flesh skin tone. I think I prefer the normal skin colour anyway.

FashaTheDog
14-08-2012, 02:31
A plaid skinned Chaos Warrior in striped armor with a polka dot shield and hot neon pink sword. I applied some black light paint too just in case the situation ever arose.

Voodoo1
14-08-2012, 03:07
My Lizardmen are shades of brown and skinks are desert yellow. Blue just looks like crap!

mostlyharmless
14-08-2012, 06:16
My dark elves have blue skin, white hair, and shiny blood red armour. My reasoning: they're not wearing much, and it's cold.

My warriors of chaos I painted their skin astronomicon grey and washed with asurmen. Came out looking great. It's a good contrast with their black armour.

VanHel
14-08-2012, 06:35
I have an albino bray shaman. That's about it really.

Glen_Savet
14-08-2012, 06:45
My lizardmen are a dusty yellow with orange, red, or black speckling. I've never seen anyone do anything like them.

Luigi
14-08-2012, 07:33
Blue dwarfs with white armour and cloths....
then i called them smurfs :shifty:

xisor83
14-08-2012, 12:49
my orc and goblin army all have red skin sounds terrible but the general consensus has been that it works well

Baraqiel
14-08-2012, 13:14
Red skinned orcs (themed as Khorne worshipping in his aspect as Khork)
Lilac skinned Beastmen (Slaanesh worshipping)
Brown/green skinned Lizardmen (Nurgle themed)

Judochop
14-08-2012, 20:06
All my orcs and gobs are purple with green warpstone like weapons. I've played mine so much that its wierd for me to see green orcs lol. You can see pics at da warpath forum under purple orcs judochop.

Graxy
14-08-2012, 21:44
Well after having my O&G for so lon gpainting somethig without green skin feels unnatural, but I'm not entirely sure that falls into this....

The closest I've actually got to it though is WoC with white armour (but I swear, if there was a centimetre of skin to be seen on the models it would be a bluish/purpleish gray colour!)

leeoaks
14-08-2012, 21:47
Every ogre in my army has a different skin tone, blue grey,red....

Sexiest_hero
15-08-2012, 01:57
Wanting to add diversity to my WoC army I painted a few pale skinned fellows to go with my brown skinned army (something i usually do with all my armies). I didn't notice I made them all musicians till I was playing a game and the store owner sings out "Play that funky music white boy" after my units rallied. Now, when ever a test is failed they chime in "White guy's offbeat!". It's totally not what I was going for, and I've added more pale skinned fellows, but now it's "The Joke" for that army.

nurgle5
15-08-2012, 12:12
I usually paint my armies a little off key, usually one step to the right or left of the typical paint scheme on a colour wheel. My 40k Death Guard all have Shadow Grey skin, my Ogres and WoC are Bestial Brown, my Blood letters are orange (forget which one) and my Pink Horrors are purple.

My nurgle daemons are painted the usual dour nurgle colours, though I've been painting their rotting organs and exposed wounds turquoise, vibrant orange and cartoon greens.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
15-08-2012, 13:18
I painted my goblins in a dirty olive green colour. It's more natural looking. I had second thoughts about it but my buddies thought it looked great so I'm sticking with it.

TheBearminator
15-08-2012, 13:52
This may not sound very pc and today I just smile at it. It's not even a fantasy army. But I really thought I made a statement, and an innovative and brave choice when I painted my salamander (space marines) sergeants black. :) In all pictures I'd seen in codexes and rule books until then all humans were white. I actually remember I got some credit for the idea. But then some killjoy told me that all salamanders are black (black as in chaos black though, and not "human black" like my army). So much for my political statement. ;)

ColShaw
15-08-2012, 14:06
I've got a Night Goblin army with white albino skin. Looks great with the black robes!

I also have some 40K Orks with red skin over a purple basecoat which looks remarkably good.

Nymie_the_Pooh
15-08-2012, 15:57
I forgot to mention my WoC army. Probably because they are sitting in an unfinished state and I don't think of them as painting skin with this project. Most of the skin has been done for a while and any work I've done lately has been mostly armour. The Warriors are done up in marble and the Marauders' skin is terra cotta. I haven't done any monstrous infantry since picking WoC back up. I have been considering limestone or something similar for them. I don't want something as glamourous as marble, but don't want to go as common as clay either. I have an unpainted hellcannon I need to figure something out for as well. Maybe do it and the accompanying Dwarfs in quartz, but I haven't settled on anything yet.

TheBearminator
15-08-2012, 16:01
Cool! Would love to see that. :) I sometimes wonder why you don't see orks in other colours, I mean they should look great in black or brown.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
15-08-2012, 16:47
This may not sound very pc and today I just smile at it. It's not even a fantasy army. But I really thought I made a statement, and an innovative and brave choice when I painted my salamander (space marines) sergeants black. :) In all pictures I'd seen in codexes and rule books until then all humans were white. I actually remember I got some credit for the idea. But then some killjoy told me that all salamanders are black (black as in chaos black though, and not "human black" like my army). So much for my political statement. ;)

For a while the GW salamanders looked African instead of the coal black so your perfectly justified. Actually I think it looks better. They have black on the armour so it just looks like whoever painted the coal black face just forgot to paint the face, or couldn't be bothered.

thegoss84
15-08-2012, 16:55
I painted my goblins in a flesh-tone. It's themed around a hobgoblin force from the Dark Lands. For some reason I felt that that felt more hobgobliny than green skin.

Dark Aly
15-08-2012, 17:52
My orcs and troll slayers have blue faces (entire bodies for some slayers) but thats only woad style warpaint. Blue is nice and easy to paint

My orcs are also many different greens some of which are barely greenish browns or greys.

nurgle5
15-08-2012, 19:02
For a while the GW salamanders looked African instead of the coal black so your perfectly justified. Actually I think it looks better. They have black on the armour so it just looks like whoever painted the coal black face just forgot to paint the face, or couldn't be bothered.

If I was a cynical man, I'd say the studio changed the skin to coal black to avoid incident when Ward wrote that their skin colour is due to a genetic defect... :shifty:

Stimpson J Cat
15-08-2012, 19:09
someone on warseer has a blue wood elf army, to represent them coming from Ind, if im not mistaken. Looked awesome, but I cannot remeber who it was.

warplock
15-08-2012, 19:32
Half of my Lizardmen have very dark green skin with contrasting bright yellow/white scales, and the other half are painted the opposite way round.

Sexiest_hero
15-08-2012, 19:33
It's odd about the Salamanders, They still have the John Henry/blacksmith trope that's given to african skinned fantasy characters, and indeed that's what they officially were. It's a reason I dislike mat ward so. Ret-con a chapter's race for no reason, sure. I really hope this is undone next book.

Hudson Gameover
15-08-2012, 21:19
Some armies seem to be fine to paint differntly, Ogres, Lizardmen, Chaos(all forms), Skaven, Vamps, some I find people look at you like your simple if you go againts the norm, Orcs, Dwarves, Men(all forms), High Elves, Giants.

I say paint them how you like then think up a reason later.

macejase
15-08-2012, 23:01
Well my current Lizardmen are the pretty standard blue because I realized it looks a lot better, but my 6th edition army was orange saurus and yellow skinks (yuck!)

The only other army I've painted outside of the standard skin tone was a few grey skinned dark elves.

Lordsaradain
16-08-2012, 05:09
Blue-skinned marauders? Or my pink/red skinned ghouls maybe.

GrandmasterWang
17-08-2012, 00:51
Dark blue/grey ghorgon for beastmen. I think it looks a lot more menacing than the gw human tone one

Eddie Chaos
17-08-2012, 01:10
Blue Ogres, don't know why but it suits them.

TheDungen
17-08-2012, 06:57
Well first mini i ever painted was a gore red ork in scorpion green clothes. I think i acxutally won 7th place in a painting competition with him (though i'm not sure there were more than 7 entries =P)

Also my Shadow Elves i paint in codex gray and wash with reikland fleshshade.

Fizzy
17-08-2012, 07:36
Always paint accepted colours. Some people paint skin colors so weird that I actually took a guys model and said that he will get it back when he paints at least a little more acceptable color.

I mean just dipping an ork in pink and then paint the clothes blue... And not even good enough to justify it. After 6 years highligts should be known to a painter.

Yowzo
17-08-2012, 09:11
I used to have a full brown orc army. I found out I was a few bodies short to complete the list I had made for a tourney with beastmen so I painted the only thing I had left: some orcs.

I liked the result and eventually it grew to a full O&G army. Sadly I eventually re-painted them in common green once O&G became my main army.

Currently, the wyvern I use the most is painted black and purple (well, charadon granite base, black ink and light grey scales for the skin, purple for the scales)... and my squigs are painted vallejo pink and look really great.

Skopey
17-08-2012, 09:31
Didnt the old "battle for amrageddon" box game have salamanders on the front. One of which was without a helmet and was white. Think the artist was the same guy who did the space crusade and D-rok covers. Cant recall his name though. Friend of mine had Some black Catachans for his IG army and they looked awesome. Not seen much diversity when it comes to Warhammer though. Not since the old days of men of the east, and men of the south etc. And didnt red goblins use to be an actual race in warhammer? Sure i remember a Red goblin army list, or am i thinking of another Game system. I have seen some Night goblins painted like smurfs somewhere too. Unless i had a horrible dream o.0

Glen_Savet
17-08-2012, 15:28
Always paint accepted colours. Some people paint skin colors so weird that I actually took a guys model and said that he will get it back when he paints at least a little more acceptable color.

I mean just dipping an ork in pink and then paint the clothes blue... And not even good enough to justify it. After 6 years highligts should be known to a painter.

Painting police! Watch out!

Seriously man, they're not your toy soldiers. Get over yourself.

TheDungen
17-08-2012, 16:43
fire kobolds (eu wd 268, warhamemr chronicles goblin ecology)

ColShaw
17-08-2012, 20:09
Not seen much diversity when it comes to Warhammer though.

I have a United Nations IG army which is mixed-race. Actually looks pretty good, and fits the theme well.

Crube
17-08-2012, 20:20
I tend to go for the 'norm' for most of my models. Occasionally I'll go for something a little different - an Albino skaven or somesuch, that still fits the provided background.

My main dilemma is over my new ogres - I liked the older greyish skin tone, but also like the current more 'natural' skin colour... hmmm, decisions decisions :D

Sexiest_hero
17-08-2012, 21:13

I mean just dipping an ork in pink and then paint the clothes blue... And not even good enough to justify it. After 6 years highligts should be known to a painter. That's a quick way to a long fight, Never take somebody's stuff while insulting them!

snyggejygge
18-08-2012, 11:40
My greenskins are painted with rotting flesh as base color, this makes for a green shade of skin which looks more natural imo.

Supervillain
18-08-2012, 12:52
Dark blue river trolls.

Yowzo
18-08-2012, 16:18
Dark blue river trolls.

Forgot about those! I painted my river trolls mordian blue, too.

zhu bajie
18-08-2012, 20:43
I painted my Imperial Guard skin blue, like the 2000AD Rogue Trooper Genetic Infantrymen.

Long gone to eBay now, wonder if the person who bought them knew why they had bright blue skin, or just thought I was mental.

Dark Aly
19-08-2012, 04:26
All my necromunda gangs have many different skin tones but all normal for humans

Probably the most different thing I do is not paint my models with the same colour skin, my orcs range from a dark brownish olive green to a more goblin style light green. The goblins are a little lighter generally, but I find that having more than one skin tone per army/unit etc. makes them look a lot more natural

mrtn
19-08-2012, 23:51
I actually took a guys model and said that he will get it back when he paints at least a little more acceptable color. Grow up. :eyebrows:

My beastmen are all yellow (except for the reddish boarmen and the greenish flyman). I have a couple of red orcs (looks much better than green IMO). A pale greenish white WoC and a goblin. A plague marine who's black.

hd.40
21-08-2012, 15:24
I can't stand the blue lizard men from the codex. I did mine "lizard like" green, basing the skinks in snot green with scorpion green highlights. Then as the unit gets bigger/badder it turns darker green, to the point my kroxigar are almost grey.

Just seems more natural to me.

Wishing
21-08-2012, 15:32

I have an army like that, orks with leathery skin tones, though it is for 40k... I think it looks great though.

HereBeDragons
22-08-2012, 14:56
My Lizardmen have black skin and yellow scales

the1stpip
22-08-2012, 19:26
My first Slaaneshi Warrior army had tentacle pink skin and warlock purple armour.

I thought it looked kinda neat at the time.

Eternus
25-08-2012, 15:46
I did my test scheme for my Ogres in Purple as well:

samael
25-08-2012, 17:23
My dark elves are blue and my chaos dwarfs are purple-ish

Hudson Gameover
25-08-2012, 21:21
I did my test scheme for my Ogres in Purple as well:

Mine are much the same Eternus, maybe a shade or two darker. Love the purple.

Lars Porsenna
27-08-2012, 15:45
I usually go with normal skintones as well. My Ogres are painted with Asian fleshtones (from Reaper Master Series paints: ready made triad!), but that is about as far as I go for "non-standard"...

Damon.

Armond
29-08-2012, 01:49
Goblins with brown skin tones. Nothing outlandish, but different from the norm.

dhagi
30-08-2012, 10:48
my lizards are based off the fire-bellied newt. Black primary color with red bellies and some black accents. lime green eyes.

Lorcryst
01-09-2012, 15:50
Hmmm, all those posts about brown-skinned O&Gs reminds me of something from nearly 30 years ago ...

Did you know that the very first GW O&Gs were brown, as described by Tolkien, and only went green when the guys at the Gobsticks gaming club decided to paint them green "for more variety" ? Of course, back then, the very first issues of White Dwarf were in black and white, so no shiny pictures to prove my point, but I just re-read some of my collection of White Dwarves, and it is indeed mentioned in a couple of "aaah the good ole days" articles :p

Guess I'm dating myself with that ...

GiraffeCrab
01-09-2012, 15:57
I did some lizardmen a while back that were mechanicus standard grey with codex and fortress grey highlights and sunburst yellow scales and crests

Juicy21
01-09-2012, 17:59
A friend of mine got this awsome glowing green daemons of khorne armie withs hurt your eyes when you look at it!. hes thinking about starting this burning orange lizardmen armie...

Poncho160
01-09-2012, 18:20
Hmmm, all those posts about brown-skinned O&Gs reminds me of something from nearly 30 years ago ...

Did you know that the very first GW O&Gs were brown, as described by Tolkien, and only went green when the guys at the Gobsticks gaming club decided to paint them green "for more variety" ? Of course, back then, the very first issues of White Dwarf were in black and white, so no shiny pictures to prove my point, but I just re-read some of my collection of White Dwarves, and it is indeed mentioned in a couple of "aaah the good ole days" articles :p

Guess I'm dating myself with that ...

This is indeed true and I believe it was one of GWs first attempts to make their current IP their own.

Armond
05-09-2012, 19:21
I did some lizardmen a while back that were mechanicus standard grey with codex and fortress grey highlights and sunburst yellow scales and crests

I am considering a dark grey highlighted up, and the scales being a almost black purple highlighted slightly for my Lizardmen. Still haven't totally decided.

popisdead
11-09-2012, 20:58
Orange Goblins. Getting high on bad times ;-)

MOMUS
11-09-2012, 22:28
This may sound a little odd, but i painted my lizardmen...blue :eek:

Lord Dan
11-09-2012, 23:02
this may sound a little odd, but i painted my lizardmen...blue :eek:

Inconceivable!

boli
13-09-2012, 14:25
My high elves pink... oh wait... nah that's just their clothing :P

Seriously tho my old woodelves were always painted with light flesh and blue woad... every one of them :D

And the wardancers were almost completely blue (woad + additional blue tatoo spirals) :)

Urgat
13-09-2012, 14:49
I'm afraid I'm a little boring when it comes to that, I stick to the usuals, though at least my goblins have evolved from goblin green with snotling green highlights to soemthing a tad easier on the eyes (camo green with very light yellowish highlights)

Oogie boogie boss
14-09-2012, 17:44
My SO have a LOT of purple warpaint on them. Bless 'em.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-09-2012, 10:15
My orcs' skin is closer to yellow than green.

My second unit of Black Orcs is going to have red skin and chaos icons and will be for all intents and purposes fel-orcs.

I've always wanted to paint brown-skinned high elf privateers as a Mordheim warband, except Shadow Warriors in Mordheim are OP.

mindrazor
17-09-2012, 15:57
My brettonians are purple, maybe it isnt very weird, but still pretty rare... And it looks badass!

Commodus Leitdorf
17-09-2012, 16:32
My Chaos Dwarfs have grey skin...otherwise it's all pretty much standard!