PDA

View Full Version : Mono god daemon armies

Minigiant
14-08-2012, 15:01
Since in Codex Daemons pretty much forces you to use a mixed gods list, alot of people achieve a mixed god army list by using the rules of count as. Some of these armies are realy inspiring to look at

We have Fifth miracles slaanesh army:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=5254

Then theres Squig hoppers Tzeentch army:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1105296#p1105296

Theres also Cyel's Nurgle army:

http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43965

Khorne, i cant seem to find anything like this

Can you help?

AngelofSorrow
14-08-2012, 15:23
It forces you? I must have missed that part when using my non- counts as Slaanesh army.

Ready for eternal war!

Konovalev
14-08-2012, 16:45
Yeah I've got a mono-khorne army. And while 6th has not made them easier to play, they still work and I enjoy them.

Azazel
14-08-2012, 17:06
Some very nice armies there. But my mono-Tzeentch army is just that, and I don't think adding any units from a different God would make it any more effective (especially since Screamers and Flamers got their new rules).

Chem-Dog
14-08-2012, 17:19
It forces you? I must have missed that part when using my non- counts as Slaanesh army.

Same here. It's no more difficult than building, say, an all-scout army for Marines or a zero-aspect army for Eldar. Just additional, self imposed, limitations motivated by background, aesthetic or conceptual reasons. And certainly not utterly unusable.

Course it got a weeny bit easier for Slaanesh with the new combine harvester chariot models, but they are all now competing for slots with other options, so you get a bit more variety, but that's about it.

Minigiant
14-08-2012, 17:23
Ill rephrase it, i never said you have to but to get the most out of the army lists alot of people go the count as route and im looking for inspiration for a khorne army with lots of count as units

Bonzai
14-08-2012, 18:17
I have to agree that most mono lists can do ok, and you are not forced to take mixed lists. At least at a non-uber competative level. At a super competative level then fate crusher is about it.

I play mono tzeentch, and it has it's advantages. The best saves, the best shooting, and some of the best special characters. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of the Tzeentch units in the dex (well... except for maybe the scribes). Now with the boosts to screemers, Tzeetch has become very well rounded.

Mono Nurgle is now probably the second best of the mono god lists, and the number one mono god list if forge world is allowed. Epidermus would of course be the main one. With the changes to fearless and FNP, mono nurgle becomes very interesting. Even Nurglings are worth concidering as they are the only eternal warrior swarm. Add in units like blight drones, decimators, and plague hulks, and Nurgle now has the fire power to match Tzeentch, and even more durable.

Mono Korne is a little tougher, as it suffers from a lack of range, but Blood Crushers and Blood Thirsters can do most of the heavy lifting. And if Forge World is allowed, a decimator can open stuff up for them while being marked to keep with the theme.

Slaaanesh is also an interesting list. The changes to fleet kind of hurt it a little, but overal the changes to fearless helped them a lot. They got their new additions, but I have yet to see them in action, so I can't comment on them really.

But to the original question. It's hard to mention a "counts as" korne army without these (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/90/272231.page) guys.

Chem-Dog
14-08-2012, 18:38
Ill rephrase it, i never said you have to but to get the most out of the army lists alot of people go the count as route and im looking for inspiration for a khorne army with lots of count as units

In that case....
There was a discussion here a little while ago about using the old WHFB Khorngors as plague bearers, similarly the older hench axe wielding 'Letters were discussed both with a view to being able to suggest a tougher model and being noticeably different from the existing 'letters.
I seem to remember some 'letter/Kroot hybrids to represent horrors somewhere too. Centigors to represent Fiends or Seekers. And beastmen seem to be quite a popular recourse for any number of Daemon units generally.

All I can think of from the top of my head, but give me a couple of hours and I can probably come up with something :)

Shnerg
14-08-2012, 21:11
I have a friend, Adam, who does Mono Tzeentch. He's incredible and absolutely slays at local tournies.

boogle
14-08-2012, 21:19
A mono khorne army seems to be the least easy to use due to the lack of shooting (Defilers aside), wheras the other 3 all at least get some shooting from DP and GD

Minigiant
14-08-2012, 21:27
In that case....
There was a discussion here a little while ago about using the old WHFB Khorngors as plague bearers, similarly the older hench axe wielding 'Letters were discussed both with a view to being able to suggest a tougher model and being noticeably different from the existing 'letters.
I seem to remember some 'letter/Kroot hybrids to represent horrors somewhere too. Centigors to represent Fiends or Seekers. And beastmen seem to be quite a popular recourse for any number of Daemon units generally.

All I can think of from the top of my head, but give me a couple of hours and I can probably come up with something :)

Those are some good ideas, im currently sketching up a few of my own designs at the moment. My main lack of inspiration is for the nurgle units, except for the nurgling bases

Chem-Dog
14-08-2012, 23:23
My main lack of inspiration is for the nurgle units

OK, starting from the top...
The Great Unclean One. I've always lied the idea of the GUO being an amalgam of lots of littler creatures, an uber Nurgling swarm, if you like. Perhaps you can carry that over to the idea you have for Nurglings. Otherwise, all you really have to do is demonstrate an MC, personally, I'd be tempted to go for a Minotaur (Which are always associated with Khorne in my mind) or some sort of huge knight (A shade of Khorne himself. The armour kinda representing a certain resilience), or perhaps a bit smaller riding a suitably huge steed.

Left field suggestion here would be a Whirlwind of Gore:- Balewind vortex + extra axes/swords and skulls.

Heralds. I suppose it depends what you're using them for and how you set them up, A palanquin could be represented by a sedan chair or rickshaw carried by 'letters combined with the motif of the Brass Throne, would suit the armoured knight type of character quite well.
Otherwise a slightly more showy version of whatever you're using for the 'Bearers might be sufficient. Or take a few Character/hero models from the various WHFB chaos factions to stand in.

Next are the Beasts. Not sure why anyone would want to use them outside of a Nurgle only force (and even then....). Again all you really need to do is demonstrate that it's not a normal Khornate unit and possibly throw in a few cues. Best I've come up with is a Minotaur with a blindfold on (!) Kinda suggests a mad slashy thing that's a bit unreliable (mainly because it can't see what it's doing).

Plague Bearers could be approached as Beastmen Khorngors or older Bloodletter models but you might find those hard to locate these days as both are OOP. You might be able to manage with the current Bestigor kit, it looks pretty good and would certainly allow you to maintain a theme whilst keeping the units noticeably different. If you want to be more subtle, you could simply weapon-swap the swords of the Bloodletters for something else, an axe or even a different kind of sword (scimitar or zweihander, for example), something two-handed could suggest a slower model, especially if you go super huge on the weapon, I mean Pyramid head huge.

Nurglings. Swarm. I don't know really. Nothing particularly Khornate springs to mind. Fleshpuppies? None of the Epic stuff is really available any more so baby Letters and Thirsters aren't really possible. The only idea that sprung to mind was a gaggle of headless skeletons, the remains of those whose skulls were claimed by Khorne himself....

You don't really need anything for a Nurgle prince, a lot of it can be covered easily without any actual modelling.

There you go, some ideas. :)

BTW, I just checked. Do not google search fleshpuppies. :shifty:
At least not with spouses/parents in the vicinity.....

Ulrig
15-08-2012, 00:21
Mono Nurgle is the only way for me, but I combine them with Death Guard.
I really wish they would do away with all-chaos and make each mono god competitive on their own.

Minigiant
15-08-2012, 09:52
Ive been working on some of my own ideas and those count as nurgle ideas are cool. Heres wha i have come up with so far:

HQ

Bloodthirster = Bloodthirster

Lord of change = A spinning Bloodthirster equipped with a flaming red hot mace on the end of a chain, held within that an ever burning lord of change head. So it spits out magical flame. Khorne doesnt like magic but he likes weapons ;-)

^What do you think of this idea? Any of your own?

Great unclean one = Huge knight a shade of khorne himself (As mentioned above)

Herald of slaanesh = Herald of khorne holding up a Daemon of slaanesh head like this:

http://mirahashmi.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/clash.jpg

Elites

Bloodcrushers = Bloodcrushers

Flamers = K’daai Fireborn

Fiends = Converted bloodletters mounted on Bale Taurus

Troops

Bloodletters = Bloodletters

Plaguebearers = Khorngor

Horrors = Snakes writhed in flame

Daemonettes = converted dark elder wyches in khornate armour with custom spears

Changeling = A Hellboy look a like

Nurglings = Mini devil bases made from:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ts1HdLGjywM/TEdgKOQkyDI/AAAAAAAAMWQ/kV0nQ3ilT0Y/s1600/familiar_chaos_imp.JPG

Fast attack

Seekers = Centaurs

Flesh hounds = Flesh hounds

Furies = OOP Citadel stone gargoyle models

Heavy support

Demon princes = usual

Soulgrinders = Go Wild, some of the forgeworld demon engine

So what does everyone think? Any major flaws? or maybe...you might have any other ideas and if so please speak up. All opinions are welcome here

mrtn
15-08-2012, 11:47
I've vaguely played with the idea to use my pestigors as counts as bloodletters in a Nurgle army.

When it comes to Khorne I see the current bloodletters as using two-handed weapons already (even if they're technically held in one hand), so I'm not sure I'd use another unit with twohanders as plague bearers. Beastmen are good for a lot, especially for Khorne.

theDarkGeneral
15-08-2012, 20:17
The previous and current Beastmen Bestigors are great representatives for Bloodletters, and i've seen some nice conversions using the current plastic Chaos Knights and/or Ogre Kingdoms Mournfang Cavalry as Bloodcrushers.

I've always played mono-Khorne in 40K, and thoroughly enjoy it!

Monospot
16-08-2012, 02:20
I'm working on a mono-Tzeench army currently for my FLGS's Iron Builder competition. It, of course, comes in at 81 minis at 2k points. Gonna see how 4 units of 9 flamers do.

FashaTheDog
16-08-2012, 02:39
Thinking about a mono Khorne list like this:

Bloodthirster - Blessing of Blood God, Unholy Might
8 Bloodletters - Icon
8 Bloodletters - Icon
8 Bloodletters - Instrument
8 Bloodletters
5 Blood Crushers
8 Flesh Hounds - Fury of Khorne

Minigiant
16-08-2012, 09:43
Does anyone have any ideas for Khornate flamers?

FashaTheDog
16-08-2012, 15:32
Does anyone have any ideas for Khornate flamers?

A winged Bloodletter with a skeleton shaped into a flame thrower?

Piousservant
16-08-2012, 15:51
Some nice ideas there, I might have to borrow a few if I even expand my Daemon army. :)

IMO, the biggest factor is how you want to theme the army really. I've got a mono-Khorne (in theme) Daemon army, but the idea came from playing Doom 3. So that's the inspiration, for me the models mostly came before working out how they fitted in the army list, rather than the other way around.

It's Doom-inspired, not a directly Doom replica. So, I've got undeed/zombie guardsmen as counts-as Horrors (the basic baddies in Doom), undead/Daemonic space marines armed with Heavy Bolters as Flamers (the zombie "marines" in Doom 3) and undead mutant Terminators (extended tentacle arm) as Fiends of Slannesh (the zombie close combat "marines" in Doom 3). Since it ties in thematically (I think) I've also used dire wolves as my flesh hounds - also becuase I've never really liked the flesh hound models.

Apart from that bloodletters, crushers and my thirster are all the normal models.