PDA

View Full Version : Old GW carry case capacity

nurgle5
14-08-2012, 17:46
Howdy ;)

Wasn't really sure where to put this thread, but I'll try here. I'm thinking of getting one of the old GW carry cases (either the single or double sided one), but I'm not forking out anything until I know how many minis it can hold. So does any know what it can hold? I play nurgle daemons if that makes any difference.

Cheers! (mods please move if in wrong forum)

shelfunit.
14-08-2012, 17:59
The one I have is 9 x 4 (36) models per level and 3 levels for a total of 108 models. Do not buy one from GW though. You can get far, far superior, better made, higher capacity, far cheaper cases from other companies. KR multi-cases (http://www.krmulticase.com/) are just one example of the sort of top quality cases you can get and they do many different varieties and levels of customization.

nurgle5
14-08-2012, 18:02
Just to clarify I'm talking about this kind of case (http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Warhammer-Games-Workshop-OOP-2-Seperate-halves-Carry-Case-Foam-Shown-E002-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stuwbBQJ!5S6zSg~~60_35.JPG) I'm talking about. Is this the same one you're mentioning?

t-tauri
14-08-2012, 18:11
That's a very old version. They're nice because the egg shell foam holds the mini in place from both sides but more modern minis are often too big to fit without damaging as it closes (things like plastic scourges). I've had metal marine armies in these, you can probably get 30-40 miniatures a side, so maybe 75-80 in total and they hold them well. Newer bigger finecast/plastic minis not so good. Vehicles bigger than bikes are a non-starter.

koran
14-08-2012, 18:19
Aww..... The golden days of awesome carry cases without specific holes. OK, the first thing I want to mention is that the two sided one had a tendency to have the straps that hold each side closed break.

Now that that's out of the way I have to say it depends on the models (both size and material). I remember being able to get an entire guard army of infantry in one, including a few sentinels (it was a catachan army). So youve got to be talking 40ish models a side (I knew people that crammed them in and got over this). However, that was only because they were plastic so I could have them pretty close without then having the risk of paint getting chipped off. Metal models are obviously different. I would say maybe 30 models in metal. Possibly a few more or less depending on personal preference.

Thinking about it I should also point out that I think finecast models with thin parts would really suffer in these cases if you were not careful. So you might want to bare that in mind.

Hope that helps.

- Damn, Ninja-ed!

shelfunit.
14-08-2012, 18:21
Just to clarify I'm talking about this kind of case (http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Warhammer-Games-Workshop-OOP-2-Seperate-halves-Carry-Case-Foam-Shown-E002-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stuwbBQJ!5S6zSg~~60_35.JPG) I'm talking about. Is this the same one you're mentioning?

Goodness - you really do mean old - I got my first GW carry case about 10 years ago and it didn't have the egg shell foam like that one does. If you can get that one for less than 10 it might be worth it, but otherwise I'd go for a KR or Battlefoam etc

logan054
14-08-2012, 19:01
Goodness - you really do mean old - I got my first GW carry case about 10 years ago and it didn't have the egg shell foam like that one does. If you can get that one for less than 10 it might be worth it, but otherwise I'd go for a KR or Battlefoam etc

Well, oldish, I still remember the one that replaced!

I still use that one for taking my armies into GW, because its that little bit smaller I can fit it into my backpack, I get the odd model break but no more than the current ones, modelwise I can usually get 40 skeletons, 30 ghouls, a varghulf, 3 vampires, 27 grave guard and 5 dogs with a little room to spare (not sure if I will be able to get the latest editions in :( )

koran
14-08-2012, 22:13
Now I feel old because I had the one before this for quite some time. Personally I rate this version more than the current case for how useful it was (with the one exception of there being a problem with transporting tanks. I would gladly play 20-30 for one in perfect condition and never look back.

nurgle5
14-08-2012, 22:50
Thanks for the advice guys.

That's a very old version. They're nice because the egg shell foam holds the mini in place from both sides but more modern minis are often too big to fit without damaging as it closes (things like plastic scourges). I've had metal marine armies in these, you can probably get 30-40 miniatures a side, so maybe 75-80 in total and they hold them well. Newer bigger finecast/plastic minis not so good. Vehicles bigger than bikes are a non-starter.

I'm rebuilding my Daemons with the new plastic kits, so by the looks of it, the case has enough room to carry the expected amount of nurglings/plaguebearers. Vehicles don't really fit in, suits me as I have none, but what would you reckon 'bout Great Daemons? I've got a Great Unclean naturally, so wingspan isn't issue, but would it fit comfortably anyway?

Aww..... The golden days of awesome carry cases without specific holes. OK, the first thing I want to mention is that the two sided one had a tendency to have the straps that hold each side closed break.

Would a break this serious impede the use of the case? or would just be irritating?

Goodness - you really do mean old

Yup! Things like this really hammer home how long I have been playing these games :o. My GW hard plastic case even has that awful, coarse red foam from yesteryear.

I still use that one for taking my armies into GW, because its that little bit smaller I can fit it into my backpack

Fitting the case into my backpack is pretty much why I'm after one! :p

xxRavenxx
14-08-2012, 23:18
I'm rebuilding my Daemons with the new plastic kits, so by the looks of it, the case has enough room to carry the expected amount of nurglings/plaguebearers. Vehicles don't really fit in, suits me as I have none, but what would you reckon 'bout Great Daemons? I've got a Great Unclean naturally, so wingspan isn't issue, but would it fit comfortably anyway?

The nurglings will not fit, they are too big. The greater daemons are WAY too big. These boxes are small and compact. I remember owning one.

yabbadabba
14-08-2012, 23:37
I've got half a dozen of those - I don't use them to carry anything but standard sized infantry, or if I feel lucky, cavalry with the riders separate. Do shop around, sometimes the GW case will be exactly what you want. I tend to custom build now for specific armies.

koran
15-08-2012, 09:00
[COLOR="#00FF00"]Would a break this serious impede the use of the case? or would just be irritating?

It depends. If they break on one side you just have to be sure to open it that side down. If they were broken on both sides then yes, it would cause the models to fall about every time you were opening the case out, which kind of takes away the point.

t-tauri
15-08-2012, 09:22
20/25 mm based figures without a big "3d" element fit well. If there are wings or large bases it's not going to fit too easily.

Angelwing
15-08-2012, 09:41
Ooof. I wouldn't bother with that particular case. It will hold fairly flat metal infantry models ok but nothing else without breaking or bending. I dread to think what would happen to finecast models. The two sides press into each other when shut adding to the pressure from the inner tabs. I have one holding necromunda models. I never bought another (despite half price staff discount). Avoid.

Sai-Lauren
15-08-2012, 09:43
I've got a two sided one, I mainly use it for Necromunda and Blood Bowl figures (it's currently holding about 60 figures total, with a fair bit of room left.

For the newer ones, it's a bit of a squeeze, but it is possible to stick a fourth layer of foam on top. As for total capacity, it depends on what you're putting in it - bulky figures like Marines will only go one to a slot, but with a thin bit of foam to stop them rubbing against each otehr, you can get two smaller figures in one (especially single or two piece figures like the Sororitas), or three WFB Dwarves or Goblins.

Best bet for the larger models would be something like a small cardboard box, with foam glued around the outside and smaller pieces to pack around the model itself.

It depends. If they break on one side you just have to be sure to open it that side down. If they were broken on both sides then yes, it would cause the models to fall about every time you were opening the case out, which kind of takes away the point.

If that happens, you could always put a securing strap around the outside - maybe something like this is overkill, but I couldn't find anything smaller that illustrated what I was thinking of :).

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/sea-to-summit-bomber-tie-down-straps-2m.html

AndrewGPaul
15-08-2012, 11:29
Ooof. I wouldn't bother with that particular case. It will hold fairly flat metal infantry models ok but nothing else without breaking or bending. I dread to think what would happen to finecast models. The two sides press into each other when shut adding to the pressure from the inner tabs. I have one holding necromunda models. I never bought another (despite half price staff discount). Avoid.

I've got one holding an Elysian army. I can get about 70 infantry models into one half, and the other half holds the heavy weapon teams. Even the teams with standing models fit fine. They've been in there for the best part of a year with no deformation or damage.

Angelwing
16-08-2012, 01:42
H'mm. Perhaps mine just has too much foam in it? I pulled the case out in light of this thread and I still have to put a lot of effort to hold it shut in order to flip the catches. I only have old school 'flat' metal models in it.

xxRavenxx
16-08-2012, 09:24
H'mm. Perhaps mine just has too much foam in it? I pulled the case out in light of this thread and I still have to put a lot of effort to hold it shut in order to flip the catches. I only have old school 'flat' metal models in it.

The thing I remember with those old cases is that if you got "matching" eggshell, they closed quite well, if you didn't, they were rather horrid. If you empty your figures out, and put the foam in, does it meet "uppy bits to downy bits"? If not, theres your problem.

yabbadabba
16-08-2012, 09:31
They were also irregularly formed. Some of the case foam dips were deeper or more shallow than others.