PDA

View Full Version : Daemons 3000pts - enough Core?

Kriegschmidt
16-08-2012, 10:24
Hi chaps.

I'm playing my first Daemons game in a while tonight, against my friend Mondobot's Tomb Kings army. My list is fairly set, but I'm wondering whether I have enough Core.

Please note: anything in bold cannot be removed ;) However, they can be altered - in terms of size, upgrades, etc.

In terms of extra Core models, I have another 10 Bloodletters, 20 Horrors, 20 Daemonettes and 10 Furies. Special: I also have 9 Flamers, 10 Seekers, 6 Nurgling bases, 6 Flesh Hounds. Rare: I have 3 more Beasts of Nurgle, 6 Fiends and another Soul Grinder.
My opponent tends to field three large monsters at 3,000pts, and lots and lots of bows.

Here's my list then:

Kairos Fateweaver

The Blue Scribes
Herald of Khorne on Juggernaut (Firestorm Blade)
Herald of Khorne (Armour of Khorne)
Herald of Nurgle (Palanquin, Slime Trail, BSB, Banner of Unholy Victory)

29 Bloodletters (Full Command, Banner of Eternal War)
29 Plaguebearers (Full Command, Icon of Eternal Virulence)

6 Screamers

4 Bloodcrushers (Champion)
Beast of Nurgle
Soul Grinder (Daemonbone Claw, Phlegm upgrade)

Metacarpi
16-08-2012, 10:33
At 3,000 points that seems fairly low on Core.

Why do you have 2 Heralds of Khorne? You could stick the Armour of Khorne on the Jugger riding chappy for a nigh impregnable 2+/5+ save, and invest the 100 or so points into adding additional Bloodletters

I'd also swap the Banner of Eternal Virulence for the Standard of Seeping Decay - gotta love re-rolls to wound!

I'd be tempted to drop the Blue Scribes as well, as you're taking Kairos - the extra dice from opponent spells is nice, but I'd be tempted to drop them and the Beast of Nurgle for Nurgling bases. Love those Nurglings!

Kriegschmidt
16-08-2012, 10:45
At 3,000 points that seems fairly low on Core.

Why do you have 2 Heralds of Khorne?

One to ride with the Bloodcrushers and give them Hatred, one to run with the Bloodletters, giving them Hatred too.

You could stick the Armour of Khorne on the Jugger riding chappy for a nigh impregnable 2+/5+ save....

Ah, I think I've got confused with 40k, where the Juggernaut gives the Herald/'letter a 3+ armour save :D

and invest the 100 or so points into adding additional Bloodletters

Even though I'd lose Hatred on the 'letters?

I'd also swap the Banner of Eternal Virulence for the Standard of Seeping Decay - gotta love re-rolls to wound!

Could be tempted! I was thinking of winning on Combat Resolution though: extra CR for each poisoned wound combined with the BSB's extra D3 combat resolution could really sway things.... But do you reckon I'd hit harder with rerolls to wound instead?

I'd be tempted to drop the Blue Scribes as well, as you're taking Kairos - the extra dice from opponent spells is nice, but I'd be tempted to drop them and the Beast of Nurgle for Nurgling bases. Love those Nurglings!

I could drop the Blue Scribes... My opponent tends to go quite magic heavy, including the TK named character Wizard, so I wouldn't want to find myself without an edge...

Oh btw, I've also got models for additional Heralds of Slaanesh, Tzeentch, Nurgle if necessary....

Edit: apologies, forgive my lack of manners: thanks for the reply!

Metacarpi
16-08-2012, 11:01
The Jugger adds +3, giving a 4+ save - which is still pretty damn good when coupled with the Daemonic ward really! Regarding the Plaguebearers, I'd be inclined to think that the extra wounds gained from re-rolls coupled with poisoned attacks would mean that you'd be ahead on CR anyway, especially with the +D3 CR banner.

I'm not sure what you could change around really, you seem to have a specific use for everything, so fingers crossed pal! Let us know how the game goes!

My concerns about Core may be over-estimated - My main army is Skaven after all, so seeing an army at 3,000 points with only a handful of core troops makes me panic a little!

Kriegschmidt
16-08-2012, 11:12
How about dropping the Blue Scribes and Beast, removing a Screamer, and sticking in a unit of 20 Horrors with Standard Bearer and the Icon of Sorcery?

Metacarpi
16-08-2012, 16:30
That would give you an additional level 2 mage (with +3 to cast thanks to the Icon of Sorcery) with Gift of Chaos and Flickering Fires of Tzeentch, both of which do D6 hits at at least strength D6 (D6+1 in the case of Flickering Fires) - so now you have a back up caster in case anthing happens to Kairos (miscast, roll of less than natural 3 etc). Seems like a plan to me pal!

Moss
16-08-2012, 17:12
I think you'd be better served with the rerolls to wound on the plaguebearers. You might get more CR from the poison wounds, but that won't help against steadfast enemies (of which you'll probably see many). The extra kills from the rerolls will help thin their ranks, making it more feasible to remove steadfast and break them.

Kriegschmidt
17-08-2012, 08:44
Hi chaps, in the end I removed the Blue Scribes and the Beast, dropped the Screamers to 5, and added 16 Horrors with the Icon of Sorcery. Unfortunately I carelessly threw away the Horrors in an error of judgement (moving them too far forwards towards a unit of 7 chariots, which completely undid a whole flank's maneouvring, which I had been carefully coordinating.... :mad::D)

Even worse, Kairos later blew himself up with a miscast.

Oh, and I kept the Banner of Eternal Virulence. It didn't do anything, but this was due to my Plaguebearers not getting many attacks anyway (badly failed charge meant that I got flank charged instead). This combined with poor rolls to hit on the few models which did get to attack meant that I couldn't have made a comparison.

Metacarpi
17-08-2012, 21:28
As gutted pal! Still, lessons learned for next time eh?