PDA

View Full Version : 1000p Ogres, need some help advice

pip
08-05-2006, 20:51
Hi there, well as the topic says i just started to play Whfb and descided that Ogre kingdoms would be a sweat list to play (im to lazy to collect huge number of models so Ogres seemed like a good idea ;) ).

Well anyway since i have never played fantasy or have any idea what a army should have for units. The units i have selected where picked mostly because i like how they look, I would really like to get to hear the thoughts of some experienced generals out there, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the 1000p list

Hero
Bruiser 130
+ Great weapon 8
+ Heavy armour 4
= 142p

Hero
Butcher 130
+ Dispell scroll 25
= 155p

Core
*3 Bulls 105
+ Iron fists 15
+ Standard bearer 20
= 140p

Core
4* Bulls 140
+ Standard bearer 20
Ogre clubs
= 160p

Core
4* Ironguts 192
1* Stanndard bearer 20
= 212p

Core
20* Gnoblar fighters 40
= 40p

Core
20* Gnoblar fighters 40
= 40p

Special
2* Leadbealchers 110
= 110p

Total 999p

lee
08-05-2006, 21:10
your list looks good. try and give your butcher a dispel scroll. on my ogres i go for addition hand weapons i find that works very well

swordquest
08-05-2006, 22:33
Give the butcher a dispell scroll or alternatively, drop him altogether and run more men. You shouldn't be facing too many wizards in a game of only 1000 pts and if you do there isn't likely to be very much else to there army other than magic if they are maxing out wizards.

pip
09-05-2006, 01:17
I was very hard pressed to find points for the butcher, but it really hurt that he dosnet have a dispellscroll. I would really like to keep the butcher though since i dont really want to have a phase that im unable to do anything in :)
but ill se if i can find the points for a dispell scroll or perhapps even remove him altogether.

Thansk for the replies so far

pip
09-05-2006, 01:24
There, made some small changes, removed the light armour from the unit of Bulls, lost the Bruisers sword gnoblars and the butchers tooth gnoblar.

so managed to get a Dispell scroll in ;)

Avian
09-05-2006, 15:12
Just a small note: Your Bruiser cannot have both a Longsword and an Ironfist.
(and in any case a great weapon is better :p)

pip
09-05-2006, 16:28
Ops missed that part.
There should be fixed now, anyone have any other advice or general hints on tactics? im quite inexperienced with fantasy, what exactly does a great weapon do? +2Str I1 or something else?

Avian
09-05-2006, 16:37
A great weapon gives you +2 S, but takes up both your hands (not a problem with ogres) and you strike last when you are not charging (since ogres normally strike last anyway, this is not much of a problem either).

You could really use some Gnobbos as a cheap way of capturing table quarters or to stand in the front of nasty knights.

You would also do well to include Bellowers in all your units and you should probably not put your general in the Ironguts (like you probably intend to) - Ironguts can handle themselves and a Bull unit will be far more grateful for the company of your General.

The Gorger, however, is probably a waste at 1k.

My favourite Ogre unit at the moment is 4 Bulls with additional hand weapons, a standard and a bellower. 186 pts and very, very useful.
If you want to go one better, then four Ironguts with full command and the War Banner is also good.

pip
09-05-2006, 16:57
the bellower breaks the combat resolution to your favor incase of a tie? Ill try to include some gnoblars while i expand to 1250p or 1500p since i want some meatshields to take punishment. i asumed that the Gorger is a waste of points aswell, i only included it since i really liked to model :)
I asume that taking units of less than 4 ogres is not a good option?

wookie
09-05-2006, 17:24
I asume that taking units of less than 4 ogres is not a good option?

Taking 3 naked Bulls is a viable option. Discounting gnoblars it is your cheapest throwaway unit...good for baiting and sheilding your hammer unit/s.

pip
09-05-2006, 20:12
My favourite Ogre unit at the moment is 4 Bulls with additional hand weapons, a standard and a bellower. 186 pts and very, very useful.
If you want to go one better, then four Ironguts with full command and the War Banner is also good.

How come you favor the Additional handweapon over a ironfist? it's only 1p more and can be used as a shield or a handweapon. or is it a waste of points?

I did intend to use the Bruiser with the Iron guts but i asume you are right in that they can hold their own.

Ill make some additional changes to the list and see if im able to get some Gnoblars in it.

*there made some more changes to include Gnoblars

kyussinchains
10-05-2006, 15:28
How come you favor the Additional handweapon over a ironfist? it's only 1p more and can be used as a shield or a handweapon. or is it a waste of points?

I did intend to use the Bruiser with the Iron guts but i asume you are right in that they can hold their own.

Ill make some additional changes to the list and see if im able to get some Gnoblars in it.

*there made some more changes to include Gnoblars

ironfists may seem good, but they rarely are, even using them as a sheild you only get a 4+ save in combat, which many troops will reduce to 5+ or 6+ (or even get rid of entirely) if you use them as sheilds, you lose the extra attack, it's better to save the points (20 or 30 in a large army) to spend on something else, even if its just gnoblars

Avian
11-05-2006, 13:02
The latest incarnation of the list looks quite decent, though I would personally drop the Butcher to get some more gear - bellowers for all your units, additional hand weapons for the Bulls, etc. If you are worried about enemy magic, then a Rune Maw for the 'guts and a couple of Thiefstones on your General should keep you reasonably safe.

The thing about Ironfists is that it very rarely pays to use them as shields and in the few cases it pays (you are getting charged by Witch Elves or Wardancers, for example) you are probably going to lose the combat anyway and you would have been better off fleeing from the charge. I tend to take one unit with Ironfists because I like how they look and it's only 4 extra points to upgrade the additional hand weapons for the entire unit, but in the last year I have probably used them as shields three times in total - two times because I really needed to avoid casualties so I could outnumber and autobreak the opponent and once when I ended up in combat with a Spirit Host which I couldn't hurt anyway.