PDA

View Full Version : Necrons or Orks?

Turrican1983
16-08-2012, 15:07
I'm trying to choose an army.
Just wanted your input.

Necrons

Background:
I see Necrons as an all conquering alien invasion force of overwhelming technological superiorty.
Jeff Wayne's 1978 War Of The Worlds album springs to mind (check it out, it's awesome)
Whenever I listen to it, I get visions of Triarch Stalkers marching down the ruined streets of London.
Meanwhile, the fliers and lords remind me of the Goauld from Stargate.
And all the insectoid critters remind of of The Matrix and Virus.
So lots of great sci fi cross overs of Necrons as the alien invasion force.
Loads of B-Movie sci fi weapons like Heat Rays, Doomsday Cannon, etc!

Playing:
Able to take on anything thanks to Gauss and Warscythes
Mid range army
Loads of characterful units
Loads of B-Movie sci fi weapons like Heat Rays, Doomsday Cannon, etc!

Orks

Background:
To me, Orks are a sea of green, brutal creatures with crude technology and overwhelming numbers.
I can imagine them fighting their way through dense city ruins, using their natural hardiness to their advantage while taking cover behind Orky makeshift barricades while grot machine gun emplacements give them covering fire to advance.

So while I see Necrons as dominating and destroying London from the open and the skies, I see the Orks slogging through the ruins on foot, while getting stuck in on ground level.

Playing:
Loads of bodies
Horde army
Loads of characterful units, lots of fun
Struggle to kill heavily armoured vehicles

Chumbalaya
16-08-2012, 16:05
Why not both? Orks and Necrons are allies of convenience, so that's an easy fix. I'm loving my evil robot Overlords and their hordes of green minions.

Turrican1983
16-08-2012, 16:14
Nah, just doing 1 army and sticking with it.
Allies be damned.
Although Orks can ally with anyone, which helps for doubles tournies.

The_Klobb_Maniac
16-08-2012, 17:16
I use both armies and love them both. Nice thing about 'Crons is you lose very few models. It *feels* good. Orks you have to remove your minis that you learn to love b the handful. Necrons will be a cheaper army to build, probably more effective at the moment, easier to learn (you don't have to choose special weapons, learn a lot of positioning with a slow force, etc..) and other bonuses. Low BS is another odd thing to get used to, as you have to ride the line of 18" pretty carefully with the new rules.

All that said, either will work and be fun. Again, Orks you'll have a lot more modelling and painting work ahead of you. Crons are easy to paint and still fun to model, and it's not an exercise in spending cash/time; at least by comparison.

Xerkics
17-08-2012, 00:39
Necrons will be easier to paint if you get an army painter metal spray with some wash on top and a few highlight. Hordes of Ork boys will take ages to paint but orks have a lot of character necrons for obvious reasons have very little

Azzy
17-08-2012, 02:10
Orks. Anything else is just meh.

Joewrightgm
17-08-2012, 03:07
For me, necrons represent more or less Egyptian dynasty armies; led by able generals or nobles, assisted by courts of distant relatives and viziers, the core being professional soldiers (Immortals) and pleasent levies (warriors)

Combine that with some channeling old school sci fi tropes of heat rays etc, you've got an interesting (and easy to paint!) army

Ah, then there's orks! Classic fantasy antagonists given guns, rat-rods and guns! No professional soldiery here, just a barbarian horde that wants to knock your door down, eat you roasted In your own fire place. Just to keep their hand in.

I played them for about 5 years, and every game was fun and the army was a blast to paint.

Turrican1983
17-08-2012, 06:39
Hey guys, I went to my nearest GW last night to trade in some boxed sets I no longer need and made my choice.
The blue shirt in the Stevenage shop was really helpful actually.

After some discussing with the guy about my playing style, painting style, etc, he helped me to choose ORKS.
And with that I bought the Ork Flyer kit!

Really looking forward to building it and making a start on my city fight Orks army :)

Black_Cat
17-08-2012, 10:56
Hey guys, I went to my nearest GW last night to trade in some boxed sets I no longer need and made my choice.
The blue shirt in the Stevenage shop was really helpful actually.

After some discussing with the guy about my playing style, painting style, etc, he helped me to choose ORKS.
And with that I bought the Ork Flyer kit!

Really looking forward to building it and making a start on my city fight Orks army :)

I think you made the right choice. I play Orks and absolutley love them. Also, in contrast with my space wolves, it's really nice having opponents that want to play against your army :)

Killgore
17-08-2012, 12:05
You made a good choice with the Ork flyer kit, its one of my favourate plastic kits :D No 2 Ork bombers need look the same!

RugbySkin
17-08-2012, 13:12
As long as you paint an ork woman on the side of the plane like in all those WW2 films...

GenerationTerrorist
17-08-2012, 14:12
Orks are awesome. I love playing against them because every game is utterly mad to a near-ridiculous level.
Well done on making a good choice!

K11
17-08-2012, 18:01
I would take some necron allies as they are wicked at taking down tanks and they have the best fliers. Then there's the monolith....

Sparowl
17-08-2012, 18:07
Orks are a lot of fun. Just remember that if you win, you got to fight and have fun. And if you lose, you got to fight and have fun. Which means you won!

Yelling WAAAAGHH!! is mandatory.

Xerkics
17-08-2012, 22:14
As long as you enjoy painting a horde of orks :-p

AlphariusOmegon20
18-08-2012, 09:28
As long as you paint an ork woman on the side of the plane like in all those WW2 films...

Eww.

Don't get me wrong, I love my orks and all, but who'd what to see this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490016a&prodId=prod1560097) on the side of a plane's nose? The way that model looks probably explains WHY Orks are always wanting to leave the planet they're on and go fight elsewhere....

Turrican1983
18-08-2012, 10:21
Dem nu khaos boyz look pretty.
We'z gonna smash 'em up good an proppa!

:D

frogboy
18-08-2012, 11:10
Orks iz so 'ard that dey don't need stupid fe-ork gitz tryin' to make us clean our underpants, if I get hungry I just eat a grot or one of me dead mates. Fink I'll just paint a picture of a dead panzee on the side of my jet :D

Monospot
18-08-2012, 15:38
You, sir, made a wise choice. Orks iz 'da biggest and 'da best.

I, personally, am a HUGE fan of the Dakkajet configuration. Combine a few of those with some Wierdboy Warpheadz to increase the number of Waaaghs that you get a game, and you can really throw a lot of str 6 dice.

Turrican1983
18-08-2012, 15:54
Anuvva fing!
I woz sayin' to me favourite Skum-Grod dis mornin' dat Orkz never worry 'bout flierz.
We'z got Lootas dat put out 30 shots each turn.
'Ittin on 5's iz 10 'Itz, right (1 in 3)

So when we'z shootin' at flierz...
Lootas dat put out 30 shots each turn.
They'z 'Ittin on 6's and dat'z 5 'Itz (1 in 6)

Now dat'z pretty good shootin' right dere.
We don't need no Sky Fire, see?

Mikial
19-08-2012, 03:41
Well, I would say orks if you want to have fun. They have great models and lots of flavor, and can be ded 'ard if you play them right, but always, always fun.

Go with Necrons if you want a nigh invincible army with infantry weapons that easily destroy tanks with the new hull points rules since they always glance on a 6, vehicles that can shoot broadsides at two different targets (3 if you count the passengers shooting at yet another target), and "dead" troops that regenerate on a 4 with the right wargear.

My personal vote is orks. :cool: