PDA

View Full Version : Basing terrain in the new 40K rules

Kendo
16-08-2012, 18:55
So prior to the release of 6th edition I started a project to mount my fortress of redemption on a hill with some trenches in front. It was coming along well, and then 6th Ed hit. I was tempted to tear the fortress off the base but it looks too darn good and I could not bring myself to do so. As it stands now the whole thing is roughly three feet wide by two feet deep with two 14" trench sections in front. Because of the multiple terrain elements I don't suspect I won't be allowed to use it in a tournament, but for me it raises the question of what is an acceptable way to base terrain? How big an additional foot print is acceptable?

Sexiest_hero
16-08-2012, 19:20
GW doesn't care and neither should you. Just tell people to pretend the hill isn't there.

brionl
16-08-2012, 20:30
Or just add in the price of 2 Aegis Defence Lines and use it in your games as-is. As long as you don't spring it as a surprise I wouldn't have any problems playing against it.

Kendo
17-08-2012, 01:42
I would suggest try suggesting adding the cost of all of the elements together and going that way. It would run over 300 points so I can't imagine folks would be terribly upset about be sinking so many points into a static defense of my deployment zone.

Ragnar69
17-08-2012, 14:15
The torunaments here have pre-set terrain and you are only allowed to place fortifications if no other terrain has to be moved. So you definately couldn't use it.

lantzkev
17-08-2012, 14:19
The torunaments here have pre-set terrain and you are only allowed to place fortifications if no other terrain has to be moved. So you definately couldn't use it.

That's asinine.

Ragnar69
17-08-2012, 14:47
That's asinine.
*shrug*
It saves time which is important in tournaments and you really shouldn't have a problem placing an aegis or bastion. I have never ever seeing someone take a different fortification, not even in the GW store where they could use the store's model.

Clang
18-08-2012, 07:38
Ideally it would count as multiple terrain - a fortress of redemption standing on a hill with aegis defence lines in front - but the rules don't really allow that concept, unfortunately.

In a friendly game, I'd be happy enough playing against it if you counted (and paid points for) it as a fortress of redemption and 2 aegis defence lines. But yeah, I wouldn't bother taking it to tourneys unless you really like endless arguments.

It's perfectly fine to use in friendly games as 'no one owns it' terrain too - e.g. would make a great objective to fight over.

Beppo1234
18-08-2012, 08:24
wanna see some pics!

Dangersaurus
19-08-2012, 05:28
In a friendly game, I'd be happy enough playing against it if you counted (and paid points for) it as a fortress of redemption and 2 aegis defence lines.

Same here, although since it's only got 28" of trenches, the price should be closer to 1 FoR + 1 ADL.

MyNameDidntFit
19-08-2012, 07:24
wanna see some pics!

Ditto. It sounds like an awesome set piece!

Though I wouldn't take it to tourneys. For friendlies? Heck yes. As neutral terrain? Heck yes!

Baneboss
19-08-2012, 08:45
wanna see some pics!

Seconded. Picture or didnt happen.