PDA

View Full Version : Instability Tests/S & T of Khorne Herald on Juggernaut

Kriegschmidt
17-08-2012, 08:39
Greetings. Two queries:

1. The Chaos Daemons FAQ, when discussing Instability tests and combat resolution modifiers, says:
Remember that [combat resolution] is added to the dice roll, not subtracted from the unit's Leadership.... However, the army book says that Instability tests "are a special type of Break test", and the BRB says that Break tests are conducted by subtracting the combat resolution modifier from the unit's Leadership, which is then compared to the roll of 2D6. Furthermore, the Chaos Daemons army book (under Instability tests) does not add any further information which would state or suggest adding the modifier to the dice roll instead.

A minor thing, true... but is this simply an error in the FAQ? Or have my friend and I missed something?

2. In Bloodcrusher units, the Bloodletters have increased (Strength? and) Toughness versus Bloodletters on foot, while it is also made clear that they are still Bloodletters. So why doesn't a Herald of Khorne receive a (Strength and) Toughness bonus for being mounted on a Juggernaut? Or does he, and I have completed failed to find where it says this?

Many thanks for your help; last night I played my first Daemons (WH) game for quite a while, so I'm a little rusty on the rules.

Kriegschmidt.

T10
17-08-2012, 12:23
1. Adding the combat resolution modifier to the dice roll achieves the same thing as deducting it from the Leadership score, except if you are about to argue that "Leadership cannot be reduced to less than zero, so my Daemons are can only ever lose 12 wounds to instability even if defeated by a margin of a million trillion points!"

2. That's just the way it is.

-T10

T10
17-08-2012, 12:29
Math: If you fail your break test then you lose additional wounds equal to the points by which you failed the test.

Degree of failure is x
Difference in combat resolution (lose by) is mod
Leadership is ld
Dice roll is roll

x = (roll + mod) - ld

This is the equivalent to but simpler than...

x = roll - (ld -mod)

-T10

Kriegschmidt
17-08-2012, 13:35
Thorough answer, thank you.