PDA

View Full Version : what do you use your ogre hunter for?

leeoaks
18-08-2012, 19:27
I fancy adding one to the army but what does he actually do?

pointyteeth
18-08-2012, 19:35
I plan on putting him on foot with a harpoon launcher and Beastkiller big name in an all comers list. Drop some wounds on large monsters without having to take the obligatory Ironblaster.

TheDungen
18-08-2012, 19:39
paperweight

leeoaks
18-08-2012, 20:01
Thanks for your useful comment dungen. Is he really that bad?

Flydd
18-08-2012, 20:03
Taking a 3rd Stonehorn below 3000pts.

calnen
18-08-2012, 20:04
As far as I can tell, not very much from a tournament point of view. I've never seen anybody take one!

What about using him as a champion in a maneater unit or something?

Or, of course, just take him as the monster-killer he's meant to be!

TheDungen
18-08-2012, 21:17
No idea i'm just more of a hobbyist.

The bearded one
18-08-2012, 21:49
hunting

http://badum-tish.com/#

Cragum
18-08-2012, 21:54
Only used mine as a nice little walking tough bolt thrower. Aside that he is usually used in my army as an extra maneater cause their more worth it...

bildo
18-08-2012, 22:09
i prop a door open with one :P

leeoaks
18-08-2012, 22:25
That's decided then, i'll take him to the singles.

zoggin-eck
19-08-2012, 02:57
He can be used in the Warhammer Fantasy Battle game, where you can use him against your opponents army. Good times.

(All of these smart-aleck replies are warranted as you posted a tactics question in Warhammer general.)

Agoz
19-08-2012, 18:11
hunter+sabretusks is a decent unit, not as good as mournfangs for the points, but decent.

leeoaks
19-08-2012, 23:16
Zoggin if you feel that you need to be a smart **** then who am i to stop you.

Why do people act this Way? .....wait...I better put this as a new thread in the "why are nerds utter tools over the internet" forum, before someone else makes a cocky comment.

Back onto the subject, is he better of Run totally solo or with some pussy cats?

Thank you to those of you who have replied on the intended topic.

The bearded one
20-08-2012, 00:58
He's just not terribly good. On a stonehorn he's halfdecent for basically diverting 1/3 of the non-template fire (and 1/3 of the time the high strength stone thrower shot), and adding a handful of attacks to the stonehorn, but he is just a secondary asset to what the stonehorn itself brings. He can make sabretusks less twitchy and susceptible to panic and breaktests, but slows them down considerable (2 movement lower, so this 'hunting' unit won't even be faster than your main line.. meaning you might as well use 6 or so bulls for less cost, losing only the swiftstride, or you could go with maneaters and even keep the swiftstride, maybe throw in vanguard or scouting. For 340 points (10 sabretusks and hunter), they don't give that much offensive power either and die pretty rapidly. They're a fairly decent flank-threat that'll probably be pretty good at mauling a unit of swordsmen or clanrats, but a unit of bulls would probably do that equally well, and the sabretusks wouldnt need the hunter to do so. They just need the hunter as an expensive means to get good leadership. I don't think a hunter-sabre unit has that much of a purpose in the army. If you want to use the unit to kill warmachines and the like, lone sabretusks, or cheap units of 2-3 sabretusks will easily suffice, it isn't hard enough for the main battleline, and if you want to use the unit to pounce on weaker enemy units on the sidelines, a unit of bulls probably does that just as well... for cheaper.

He's just.. he's just not that good. He brings little in the way of unique skillsets to the table, that you couldn't get any other way, or more cost-efficiently.

Sexiest_hero
20-08-2012, 07:11
Put him on a stone horn!

zoggin-eck
20-08-2012, 09:40
Zoggin if you feel that you need to be a smart **** then who am i to stop you.

Fair enough, you got me doc, and all that sort of thing.

Again, why not try in the tactics section?

TheDungen
20-08-2012, 10:29
To my defence i just started it. I didnt know everyone else would be piling in.

Eternus
20-08-2012, 11:19
To my defence i just started it. I didnt know everyone else would be piling in.

That's no defence. This is Warseer, home of the internet forum Hyena, Vulture and Great White Shark. Once they smell blood, or spot a distressed animal, they pounce...

...There's a use for the Ogre Hunter right there. Exterminate the scavengers.

zoggin-eck
20-08-2012, 13:31
That's no defence. This is Warseer, home of the internet forum Hyena, Vulture and Great White Shark. Once they smell blood, or spot a distressed animal, they pounce...

...There's a use for the Ogre Hunter right there. Exterminate the scavengers.

A little bit of that perhaps..... :D

To be honest I didn't know people thought so little of the hunter in the first place. Guess I'm a sucker for a cool model and army-unique weapon options (a single model carrying a harpoon is too funny to miss).

Mr OP leeoaks, I take it you don't already own a hunter model. Why not proxy for a few games and see for yourself, or are your opponents not into that?

Eternus
20-08-2012, 15:06
I do have a Hunter for my army, though it's a new army and I haven't used it yet. Why do have one? Same reason as Zoggin-eck, it's a cool model and a cool concept. What will I use him for? Stabbing the bejeesus out of the abundance of enormous beasties that have appeared since the onset of 8th edition...

Will he be any good at this? He better be, otherwise he's gonna come to a sticky end, but then this is Warhammer, land of sticky ends...

Confessor_Atol
20-08-2012, 15:53
When the ogre book first came out, I was convenced a hunter and 5/8 sabertusks could be a great pressure unit given the genererally high M of the whole army. I added a unit of scouting maneaters and a ridden stonehorn. These units together were pretty powerful when it came to disruption. The onslaught of fast and powerful targets was ment to cause heavy pressure in the opposing army. It did pretty well allowing my main units of IG and bulls to reach the emeny entirely untouched. Ultimately I dropped them for a unit of 4 MF cav, and I traded the stonehorn to points to beef my bull unit to hoard size. I like the hunter, but the lack of armor, and the S4 attacks didn't deliver. single tusks have higher utility.

hope that helps