PDA

View Full Version : Not for What but Why do you build your list?

murgel2006
19-08-2012, 20:45
Hi all.
I was contemplating recently why I build my lists as I do.

I build them to see the interaction of certain units.
Because I want to see how good the rules simulate something I see as "realistic".
Because I want to see how scalable certain list layouts are.
And because the unit selections seems funny.

How about you?

The_Klobb_Maniac
19-08-2012, 20:55
I usually have units that I'm like "WOW they are so cool they have to be in"; usually this is on a unit that's pretty feasible to use anyway:
-MANz
-Ard Boyz
-Immortals
-A giant mass of Guardsman
-Demovets.. with armor.. ugh lol

Then the list is made to try and make it work. I've been challenged by a friend (who's down about Close Combat in this edition) to make a Close Combat based list. To me that means a list that takes 50%ish points in dedicated close combat units and then units that make that work: Long Ranged AT. Same idea as the above: Take units that I like, then take units that I need to make it work (hopefully that I also like.)

I'll also go for theme at times; Necrons being easy to do theme for the most part because you just drop boatloads of warriors/immortals on the table, add some monoliths or scythes and BAM invasion force with a cool image.

My orks... they've probably lost theme (for the most part) over time. I love the shootiness but certain rules get in the way of enjoying things. I've recently dropped my PK nob leaders (might put em back in, who knows?) because of the precision changes and the fact that it's difficult to get into combat with him without wounds killing him off beforehand. This had actually been part of my theme (shootas were captured orks led by one of the veterans of the original Ork Waaagh.) Same with Ard Boyz; though now I'm more constrained by Battlewagon models than the FOC as I can take more BWs in an effort to take Ard Boyz again... but either way, they were part of the theme (they were the younger veterans of this initial waaagh), etc..

RaShondala
19-08-2012, 21:08
I do it for cool ideas, hints of spammishness, and just units I like.

My CSM/Daemons have Blue Scribes, Epidemus, Nurgle Bike Sorcerer, Plaguebearers, Plague Marines, CSM (MoT), 3 Nurgle Bikers, Pink Horrors.

The Epidemus tally is amazing with the Nurgle Sorcerer and bikers, and the Plague Marines, while the Tzeentchian contingent exist purely because of the models, the shootiness and the fact Tzeentch is just damn awesome.

insectum7
19-08-2012, 21:30
First priority is army theme and looking cool.

Second priority is making it work.

After that there's a feedback loop of what worked, what didn't, and how can I improve my chances while sticking with the overall theme of a list.

Glen_Savet
19-08-2012, 23:27
I have terrible luck with dice rolling, so I just cram armies with as many 2+ saves as I can. I'll generally lose 3 or 4 terminators to a single 10 boy squad of lootaz, if they manage average dice to hit and wound.

wanderingblade
20-08-2012, 01:04
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

TheDoctor
20-08-2012, 01:12
I usually go with what insectum7 said.

First up is my general theme (wraithwall, mechdar, corsairs, deathwing, deathwing/ravenwing, dark angels)

Next I put in units that make the theme work (and if they fit in with the theme, +1)

For instance:
Wraithwall- Now I need something to counter-charge, so my enemy doesn't tarpit my 2A monstrous creatures down.

MajorWesJanson
20-08-2012, 03:34
I generally put lists together with a mix of models I have painted and new models, as we use the lists for 5-7 week long points tournaments, so it encourages me to get more of my models painted.

Scribe of Khorne
20-08-2012, 06:00
To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Thats about it really, though I have found that I enjoy a crushing assault, I dont need to have my whole list based around it, though I think people are missing out a bit saying CC is dead, it all depends on who/what/where/when with CC I am finding in 6th.