PDA

View Full Version : Best base size for a warhound?

Fizzy
21-08-2012, 06:01
Not sure if I placed this thread right. I want to make a base for my warhound. A little bigger than normal because I want to carve it 5mm deep or something because I will be using water effects. The titan is in walking position right now but can change it. Not glued together.

I know it is easier to make 2 small foot bases but I kinda want it as a display. The model marks 10 years of collecting.

MajorWesJanson
21-08-2012, 06:08
I've found that round bases are a bit too big for Warhounds, so for mine I made a pair of bases by filling some paper chinet oval dishes with some resin, ending up with two ovals that are about 10.5 inches wide and 8.5 inches long (and about an inch tall, but that gives them a tad more height). Then for a reaver, I used two large paper plates to fill with resin, giving me a pair of 9 inch circles that when trimmed and put together, fit both feet easily and total 9" long and 15" wide.

As for right thread, this may be moved to the modelling and Painting section, but for now, that is what I did for basing mine.

sprugly
21-08-2012, 10:06
I saw some other guy somewhere once base his on a round wooden chopping board he picked up from a supermarket. Sounded good to me.

Sprugly

Hendarion
21-08-2012, 11:06
Yup, chopping boards or whatever will encircle his feet. Ovals or even squares should also be fine. I see bases for Titans basically like bases for normal minis: It should have a a size between 1 and 1/2 of the height of the model, basically just cover about it's footprint.

mughi3
21-08-2012, 13:05
Generally i never see people put them on bases, however one guy i know did an amazing job with his including a custom square base-

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/mughi3/tt2.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/mughi3/tt3.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/mughi3/tt4.jpg

Fizzy
21-08-2012, 13:49
It is mostly so that I can compete with it in contests and to make it fit in my army that floods areas with rain in battle. So the base would be representing an early stage of battle.....

I will also use LED lights in the cockpit and control room.

Thanks for replies. Hmm I will see if they got round chopping boards around town. Sounds like a smart idea. Will take 6-7 months to finish it up. Only got a few hours a week and some holidays.

Sons of Lorgar
21-08-2012, 15:45
I've based my chaos warhound on the old battle-scape limited terrain piece with a wrecked rhino and some dead trees on it, I've used water effects in the two craters, reinforced the underside of the rhino hull with fibre reinforced styrene plastic and mounted the warhound on two spikes going up into the balls of the ankle joint. It's a bit front-heavy posed, so I'll be sure to do plenty of reinforcing pinning.
I've also placed LED lights in the cockpit with the cabling hidden in the chin cables and batteries in the main body. The eye slits are covered with blue-inked over-head plastic sheet cut-outs.

Fizzy
21-08-2012, 16:52
I will use the plastic sheet that came with the titan and wash it filthy from years of battle. So it will be a dull green light from the cockpit eyes. Mostly since my chaos marines have green lenses.

My dad called me and tipped me about a hardware store where they cut out custom wood pieces only a km away or so. I will be checking that out first one I have built the legs. I will though have pins coming up from the base and holes on the feet so I can remove it when really needed to.