PDA

View Full Version : Which is the "best" overall army?

ElBeaver
21-08-2012, 16:14
This question may have been posed before, but what I am looking for is an overall assesment including but not limited to: getting the models (price and availability), putting them together, painting (difficulty, time required, paiting guides), creating your army-list, transporting army to the battle field (fitting it in one or more cases), setting up, playing the game, and everything in between like the army look, internal and external balance.

I know this is a highly subjective matter, but this may help new players in what army to choose (instead of just going with the one with the most badass deathstar), and also already established players on which new army to get next.

I myself lean abit towards the greenskins. There are just so many great options and awesome looking models. Oh, and my favorite color is green ;)

tmarichards
21-08-2012, 16:30
Probably Ogres. You don't need many models, and they're stupidly strong in the game.

Graxy
21-08-2012, 16:38
I can see the most reoccuring answer here being OK and WoC, going by the majority of the criteria listed. They're both relatively low model count armies, making them both cheaper than other armies an quicker to paint (although maybe not in the case of WoC, since chaos warriors are fairly detailed models so painting pprobably will take longer but be of a higher standard), with pretty straightforward lists. With WoC, there's many options and strong builds, making army-list making fairly simple, creative and even fun. With ogres, it's not so varied, but there are quite a few insta take options, making the lists made not as varied, but still pretty straightforwaard and easy to make. Both armies will fit in a small case (ogres have to have foam dedicated to them, but you'll still get everything in one small case), and work well in game. On top of this, both armies look prett damn cool (IMO).

I know that you don't really want deathstars mentoined too much in this thread, but in games like this, it can take eeven 1 thing to make or break an army, and in both OK and WoC, their deathstars are above the standard of any other unit I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm fairly surprised at your choice of greenskins (I love my greenies, an I even main them, but still), especially when looking at some of the criteria listed. The army costs a damn fortune, as well as an age to paint (still working on mine after 5 years), modelwise, some of the more obvious options have very small contact points, so keeping them together, especially using GW glue, is a nightmare (god damn savage orcs), and most likely will take a large case to tranport (unless you do what I do and triple/quadruple up on goblins). + Animosity cripples the army completely. I have to agree though, optionwise, the army is incredible (even if half the core choie options are useless :p ).

Hashut-Up!
21-08-2012, 20:35
I'd say Skaven, aside from transport issues and monetary investment (although this can be countered by finding cheap island of blood skaven sets, which also helps building the models as they're all snap together!). They can do everything well (except flying, but I'm sure they're working on that) in the game and have no real weakness as long as you play them with deep ranks. The models in their range are gorgeous/hideous and almost all of them are decently easy to assemble (with the exception of the hell-pit abomination needing some greenstuff to fill in some gaps).

Painting them takes a while too, but a fully painted skaven army with hordes and hordes of rats, war machines and monsters is quite the sight. They're easy to learn to use as well (big units with deep ranks, shoot and magic the enemy until your numbers win!) as almost every unit in the army is good and you can't really make a sub-par choice in the list building phase.

Xerkics
21-08-2012, 23:30
Im going to GO with Skaven and lizardmen 2nd. Lizardmen have good monstrous creatures in the form of stegadons. Excellent Anti mc in form of skinks, arguably the best mages in the game in the slaan. Very hard and relatively cheap line troops : Saurus who only really ever lose to Warriors of Chaos which are the best core troops for obvious reasons. Also cold blooded is amazing protection against breaking being to throw 3 dice and choose the lowest is epic.
Ogres and Woc probably 3rd although ogres are prob slightly better since their book is newer.

SimaoSegunda
22-08-2012, 00:10
High Elves. Models in the starter set, which is always a bonus. Relatively simple to paint, so long as you have enough pots of white, blue and silver. Easy to create an army list, with a few viable builds. Slightly glass-cannon, but hey-ho. As a relatively elite army, there shouldn't be ridiculous numbers to transport. They can play defensively or offensively, with strong magic, shooting and combat. Multi-purpose bolt throwers, cheap (relatively) re-directors, and in Phoenix Guard, arguably one of the best units in the game.

Bazzal
22-08-2012, 00:36
I'm going with tomb kings;

getting the models (price and availability) : can be fairly cheap depending on what you like, myself I like archers and chariots 10 a box on eBay. Plenty available as new book not too long out.
putting them together : can be fiddle with kulti part models but unit fillers save money, time and look pretty
painting (difficulty, time required, paiting guides) : its lots of bone so undercoat army painter bone, do what little details there is, then a brush/dip in light oak woodstain and the models complete. All in 10 min for chariot maybe 5 mins per troop model
Creating your army-list : fairly simple magic, shooting and a monster support.
transporting army to the battle field (fitting it in one or more cases) : single monster case with 4 troop foam and 1 monster will fit 3500+ points.
setting up : magnetic movement trays and bases makes it simple and model wise prob about 100-150 for 2500 Pts.
playing the game : there not over power but there no push over so nice balanced games with lots of varints every time, so not boring same thing game after game.
and everything in between like the army look, internal and external balance : the look is awesome especially when added with unit fillers just makes it pop that bit more. I love Egyptian mythology so that helps. Balance already mentioned as not over powered but no push over.

Jind_Singh
22-08-2012, 01:03
The answer will be whatever army a player plays!

For me tis the Greenskins - models, character, background, gameplay - they got it all - by the fistful!

Xerkics
22-08-2012, 02:08
High Elves. Models in the starter set, which is always a bonus. Relatively simple to paint, so long as you have enough pots of white, blue and silver. Easy to create an army list, with a few viable builds. Slightly glass-cannon, but hey-ho. As a relatively elite army, there shouldn't be ridiculous numbers to transport. They can play defensively or offensively, with strong magic, shooting and combat. Multi-purpose bolt throwers, cheap (relatively) re-directors, and in Phoenix Guard, arguably one of the best units in the game.

Lets not forget white lions Str6 dudes that always strike first very filthy in this ed.

NitrosOkay
22-08-2012, 02:13
Ogres are a good army that requires few models. Probably the easiest to pick up and play with good results.

kris_kapsner
22-08-2012, 04:16
Given your criteria listed, I'd say Ogre Kingdoms.

In my opinion, the most powerful army in the game are Dark Elves.

But, that is very subjective. Every army has it's advantages and draws people to it based on it's back ground and models. Pick the one you like the look of best. That way you'll enjoy the entire hobby, modeling, painting and playing the game.

Maoriboy007
22-08-2012, 04:25
Dark Elves, plenty of Monsters and Elites to keep the model count down, and tough to beat played well.

DareX2
22-08-2012, 15:00
Dark Elves, plenty of Monsters and Elites to keep the model count down, and tough to beat played well.

I disagree on the grounds that most of their selection is finecast, thus failing the first set of the OP's qualifications for "best army."

I'm going to suggest High Elves. Low model count, tons of plastic, plus Isle of Blood makes it easy to acquire a good portion of the army for cheap.

Phazael
22-08-2012, 15:35
If you are looking for an army that is easy and inexpensive to assemble while being strong on the table top, its Ogres hands down. They are not in the god tier, but they are deffinately the next rung down and you can make an entire competitive army out of two Battalion Boxes and a couple of Ironblasters.

Bob Arctor
22-08-2012, 15:42
I'd say Daemons. They may not be the absolute best competitively but they are decent enough, and with lots of plastic models available with a (relatively) low model count its easy to get an army going.

Also, with 4 distinct themes within the list they offer a lot of opportunity for conversion and customisation so you can make your force look unique.

Morax
22-08-2012, 17:27
Ogres, hands down, following the Op's guidelines of course.

This question may have been posed before, but what I am looking for is an overall assesment including but not limited to: getting the models (price and availability), putting them together, painting (difficulty, time required, paiting guides), creating your army-list, transporting army to the battle field (fitting it in one or more cases), setting up, playing the game, and everything in between like the army look, internal and external balance.

Point by point:
Cheapest army to get started and to flesh out competitively.
Low piece count per model with the lowest model count per army makes assembly a breeze.
Lowest model count and large areas of similar tones make painting quick and easy to achive a finished product.
Army lists are about equal for every army across the board so that point is moot.
Transporting larger models can be done in boxes filled with packing foam where smaller models may break.
Lowest model count makes set-up and game time faster.
Internal balance is poor.
External balance is arguably low to poor.

So Ogre kingdoms are the top spot on 5 out of 7 points on the list. For the last two points, although the Ogre Kingdoms book isn't nearly as well balanced as say the Vampire Counts, they are capable of very strong builds that are easy to learn and can be fun to play.

Pancakey
22-08-2012, 19:19
OK fits the bill. Many people have made great points about why, but ogres can get a little boring to play after some time has passed. The builds are not that varied. Your core choices are two different units that are very similar. You always have to take gut magic or fire magic at low points values. And certain units (ironblaster) are just so good, you almost feel bad if you don't take at least one!

OK is my third army (1st LM 2nd o&g) and they are pure brute force and fun to play; especially for someone new to the game.