PDA

View Full Version : Waaagh! Gutzag

AlphariusOmegon20
21-08-2012, 18:00
After a LOT of mulling, hemming, and hawing, I decided to finally do a Plog. Because it's the first I've ever done, you guys will have to bear with me a bit.

Some friends and I are doing " a tale of ______ gamers" on Facebook (it's a closed group) and I thought this might be the perfect time to do this Plog in the process. We've already done our HQ's and we're working on a unit now and our deadline is this weekend. The majority of the models so far have come from Assault on Black Reach, and a good few different units that will be in Waaagh! Gutzag will be converted using the bodies from that set, to maintain a "consistent" look (Yes, I know that's an oxymoron when Orks are involved.) I'm currently building Shoota Boyz and Lootas using this method.

I now introduce you to Waaagh! Gutzag. This is my Evil Sunz Warboss, Gutzag Wheelchoppa.

Next up, a 3 man unit of Deffcoptas by this weekend (08-25-12).

Pardon the quality of the pics. I'm taking them with an iPhone.

AlphariusOmegon20
21-08-2012, 19:53
Here's how the Shoota Boyz start out. The tutorial on Youtube I found for this conversion suggests to use the models that have their arms like this. There's just too much cutting involved to make the others with the lowered CC arm work. You clip the arm off at the join where the arm and the shirt meet.

Here's a pic of the converted Shoota Boyz WIP after normal shoota boy arms are placed on the model. You do have to watch the clearance between the gun and the Ork's chin.
I still need to build the Nob, which is in the mail. I have a spare Power Klaw arm from the Nob box waiting to be placed on the model in question.

Easy peasy conversion.

AlphariusOmegon20
21-08-2012, 19:59
Here's the same body as the shootas, but converted to be some Lootas WIP instead. Doing it this way allowed me to use almost the whole Burna/Loota box in one go.I still need one more converted Loota, and his parts are in the mail. Not pictured is their attached mek.

I'll post pics of the Burnas later.

AlphariusOmegon20
21-08-2012, 20:01
Dakkajet WIP

AlphariusOmegon20
21-08-2012, 20:05
And last, but not least for the day, Flash Gitz WIP. These are no where near done. I'm thinking adding some more guns onto the Kombis might be in order.

These use parts from the Nobz box that I'm pulling the power klaws from, so no parts are wasted. I like how these are coming out as I do like the way the Orks on DOW 1 look like.

AlphariusOmegon20
24-08-2012, 07:44
Ok, Here's the next installment of Waaagh! Gutzag.

I finished the Deffkoptas I was working on for my "Tale of" project. I like how they came out. I made a buzzsaw for the "lead" Deffkopta by using the buzzsaw "power klaw" from the Nobz box and cutting it to fit under the kopta's nose. I thought it might be wise to include at least one buzzsaw in the unit, as you can't go wrong with including a power klaw in a unit when it has the option for one.

I still have to do 2 more to paint to finish the unit, but I'll do those later on, when I don't have the time to paint a full unit by the deadline given. I was going to do them this time, but I had to cut them down to 3, the minimum size unit, as I figured I wouldn't have enough time to finish all 5, and unfortunately, I was right (trying to fight off a 3 year old while trying to paint models is very time - consuming. ;))

AlphariusOmegon20
24-08-2012, 07:46
I did, however, have time while my daughter was taking a nap yesterday to build the first 3 models of my bike unit. I built one as the Nob, and the other two are just normal warbikers. I still need 3 more boxes (so I can make a 10 man unit of them), along with 4 sets of FW Nob biker kits, to finish out all of the bikes I have planned in the army. I'm liking how the bikes are coming along.

More on those later though.

AlphariusOmegon20
24-08-2012, 07:51
I also found time today (during her nap again) to build my Big Mek, which is the Buzzgob model from FW. I chose him, as I really do not like the look of the KFF Mek model. I personally think it looks silly, even for Orks (This is also the reason I picked the AoBR Warboss model to use for Gutzag. I'm not a fan of the Attack Squig model and I had no desire to use Ghazzy, as I want to keep this army feeling like Evil Sunz as much as possible), though I like the rules for the KFF itself.

Well, that's all for now. Next up: Big Mek Deffgrub (Buzzgob), Due date 08-27-12. I might be able to get at least him done, if not both the grots too. I have all day Sunday and Monday uninterrupted (Mommy has responsibility for the 3 year old on Sundays and Mondays) to get him ready for turn in Monday night.

AlphariusOmegon20
28-08-2012, 08:26
Well, I didn't get Buzzgob finished in time, He still needs work, but the Grots are mostly finished. I still need to finish up some deatils on them, but they are a fairly close to completion. Buzzgob needs his Mephiston Red layer and Evil Sunz red highlights, but he's getting there.

Part of the reason why I didn't get this project finished in time was I was on the phone arguing with my Car Insurance company for most of the morning and part of the afternoon. Apparently, it was "bring a twit to work" day there. Because of that debacle, I didn't get started today until almost 4 pm CST.

Well here's the pics for you.

I haven't found out what our next challenge is yet, I should find that out tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish up Buzzgob in the next few days, and I'll post the finished pics for you.

AlphariusOmegon20
30-08-2012, 17:39
Well He's finally finished! Here's the pics.

I found out our next deadline is 09-10-12 and we now have to do a Dedicated Transport for this deadline challenge. I haven't decided whether I'm going to do one of the Wartrukks or my Gorespeeda Battlewagon yet, though I am leaning towards the Battlewagon. I'll post pics on here when I finish the challenge, and again, I apologize for the picture quality of the iPhone that I'm taking the pics with. It's really all I have right now to take them.

AlphariusOmegon20
11-09-2012, 09:12
Well, thanks to me having a good dose of bronchitis the last few days, I haven't really had the energy to finish the Battlewagon, though it is somewhat close. ( I still need to finish the gunners themselves.) I should be able to finish the whole thing by next Monday at the latest, as I am feeling a bit better now. i do think I made a few of my highlights waaay too wide, due to shaky hands when the bronchitis was setting in.

Here's the pics.

You can see somewhat in the background the start of my Orky Aegis Line. I still need to build the gun for it, and I'm still working out how I want to do that.

AlphariusOmegon20
11-09-2012, 09:20
Here's the Orky Aegis Line I was talking about. It still needs primer and paint, and I need to build the gun itself. I haven't decided whether to build the gun from a FW Flakk Gun kit or buy an actual Aegis Line and modify that gun to look more orky by using big shoota barrels in place of the autocannon barrels. I'll keep you up to date on what I decide to do.

That's all for now. I'll post the finished pics of the Battlewagon once it's done.

salty
11-09-2012, 09:58
Looking great Alpharius! Your red looks very smooth and clean, which is nice (i sometimes find it goes a bit patchy if I'm not careful).

Salty :)

AlphariusOmegon20
12-09-2012, 09:48
Thank you. :)

The recipe for my red comes from the WD issue that focused on the new flyers (Issue # 389.) I did add the extra step of a Crimson Carroburg Wash in between the Mephiston Red basecoat and the Agrax Earthshade Wash. I found it "sets" the red tones and maintains it throughout the process.

I actually finished the Battlewagon tonight, as I feel much better and have more energy now. Here's the pics of the finished product.

I still don't know what our next challenge is, but I'll post it as soon as I know.

AlphariusOmegon20
13-09-2012, 10:57
Update time: Apparently, we're going to have a "wild card" for these next two weeks, to allow a bit of a "break" in the project. This was done so a few of us could work specifically on flyers, which tend to be all over the map as to what category they fit into (For Orks, they're Fast Attack. As for BA, they're Heavy Support, and for Necrons, they're mostly Dedicated Transports).

I'm going to take a different path however. I think it would be an excellent time to work on some of my Troops choices, as I haven't done any yet.

I started on the skin of one of the Slugga Boy squads today, as well as the Nob unit. I've only gotten to step 3 on all twelve models' skin, but considering there's only 5 steps total on the skin, I'm making progress. They aren't due until 10-01-2012, so I've got a bit of time, and I'm going to try and get BOTH squads done before the deadline. I don't think I will be able to, but I might be able to get in enough work on the Nobz, that I might be able to coast on the next challenge a bit.

I'll post pics on the 1st. Check back then.

AlphariusOmegon20
14-09-2012, 07:24
I do have a bit of an update to report. I've decided to build a Tankbusta squad, using my AoBR ork method, as I'm not fond of the actual Tankbustas' disjointed look to their weapons, and I really do not want to pay $70 just to make a 10 man squad, when I can do it just as effectively for cheaper and they'll be plastic. I'll admit I do like the way they looked in the original DoW though, so I'm going to be using the Rokkit Lauchas from the standard Boyz kit for the "normal" Tankbustas, a la DoW.

I haven't figured out how to do the tankhammers yet, but this will give me time to figure it out while I'm building the normal guys. I'm leaning towards a single handed style of tankhammer, as I do have a couple of Tankbusta bomb "landmine" arms from the Boyz box laying around, and I would like to use those in the squad. I will try to find some separate bomb squigs at some point in the future, though I might make my own. Well that's it for now.

See you on the 1st.

AlphariusOmegon20
18-09-2012, 05:35
Small build update for today. I finally started to work on the Tankbustas, including the tankhammers. I finally figured out how to do them, though I had to use AoBR boys that I don't normally use, per my conversion method. I even got lucky enough to find a blister of bomb squigs on eBay for the unit, though they are in metal and I HATE working with metal these days. Well, beggars can't be choosers, huh?

I made the tankhammer from a rokkit off of a Nob kombi weapon, attached to the haft of an axe, and extended the axe haft on the lower side by pinning another haft onto the existing one. Viola, instant two handed tankhammer! I may take some thread and bind the rokkit to the haft, to make it look right. Right now, it's just pinned on top of the pole. I'm very happy with how he turned out. a bit of liquid green stuff on the pole to cover up the join where the two pole pieces where they meet, and he's fairly done. I'm still waiting for one more tankbusta landmine bomb arm in the mail, and the second one will be done also.

The Rokkit tankbustas themselves were more of a challenge than the tankhammers were, surprisingly. The heads do not sit right on the neck if you use the pre-existing press pin. I had to clip the pin off and set the head on the neck bare, like a normal Boy, otherwise it wouldn't line up properly. I also did consider drill a hole in the back plate of the boy to allow for use of the rokkit backpack. I may still do this, though that's up in the air right now, I'm not sure it's entirely necessary at this point. The way the pack sits on the back, it looks a bit weird without the original torso, which has straps that connect to the pack.

BTW, that black blob that's in the back center part of the squad in the pic is a previously built and primered PK Nob, using the same method as described prior for the rest of my Nobz. He was extra, so I tapped him for duty in the unit. ;)

AlphariusOmegon20
18-09-2012, 06:04
I feel I should give a run down of what's finished being built so far.

HQ:
1 AoBR Warboss (painted)
1 FW Big Mek {Buzzgob} (painted)

Elites:
10 man Slugga Nobz squad w/ 1 PK, Painboy, Grot Orderly, and Waaagh! Banner
Nobz Wartrukk w/ Boarding Plank and Wrecking Ball
10 man Burna Boyz squad w/ Mek
10 man Loota Boyz w/ Mek
5 man Tankbusta Boyz squad w/ 1 Tankhammer and 3 Bomb Squigs

Troops:
12 man Slugga Boyz squad w/PK Nob (X2)
Boyz Wartrukk w/ Boarding Plank and Wrecking Ball
12 man Shoota Boyz squad w/ PK Nob (X2)
Boyz Wartrukk w/ Boarding Plank and Wrecking Ball

Fast Attack:
10 man Stormboyz squad w/ PK Nob
5 man Warbike squad w/ PK Nob
5 man Deffkopta squad w/ 1 Buzzsaw
1 Dakkajet

Heavy Support:
1 Gorespeeda Battlewagon w/ 4 Big Shootas
5 man Flash Gitz w/ Painboy, Grot Orderly, and 3 Ammo Runts

Ugh, I still have to build a Biker Warboss and a Weirdboy from HQ's, finish the Tankbustas, build Nob Bikers, Meganobz, and Kommandos from the Elites, add a Gretchin Troops unit, convert a Warbuggy/Wartrakk/Skorcha squadron and buy another kit for a Blitza-Bomma, and buy and build a couple more Battlewagons, a few Deff Dreds, Grotzooka Killa Kans, a Leman Russ Boomgun Looted Wagon, and a battery of Zzap Big Guns, in addition to finishing the other 5 Flash Gitz. All that before I even consider adding in any more expensive Forge World or making any scratch builds!

I get the feeling I'm really, REALLY going to hate the color red, by the time I get done with this project....

razormasticator
27-09-2012, 15:36
This log is coming along nicely. Is it going to be strictly evil sunz?
And as far as hating red. I hear ya... I am getting to that point with Light Blue from my Deff Skulls log.

Nice snotling in the background! (on the dakka jet photo)

AlphariusOmegon20
28-09-2012, 06:55
This log is coming along nicely. Is it going to be strictly evil sunz?
And as far as hating red. I hear ya... I am getting to that point with Light Blue from my Deff Skulls log.

Nice snotling in the background! (on the dakka jet photo)

Well, more like Evil Sunz -ish. There will be a heavy influence of Evil Sunz style units, but I am including in all the other units in the codex also, painted as Evil Sunz, so there will be units you wouldn't normally see in a true Evil Sunz army.

I'll have multiple Battlewagons for those units that do not have a transport option in the codex entry. So I'm looking at the Tankbustas, Flash Gitz and Burna boyz having Battlewagon rides, where as the Meganobz, regular Nobz and boyz of both types will have trukks.

So far the only units that will not have a transport, and I may even change my mind on that later on, is the Lootas, which kind of don't really need one, and the Stormboyz and Kommandos, which surely don't need one. Due to the range on a stompa's weapons that may get "assigned" as the lootas' ride, as I do have to get 2 stompas and I will build a Gargant out of 2 stompa kits at some point in the project.

LOL the grot in the background of the Dakkajet pic is my 3 year old daughter that I mentioned earlier in a post. She likes watching daddy paint the "toys". :D

DaOrkFightaBomma
01-10-2012, 14:06
loving em they look gr8

AlphariusOmegon20
02-10-2012, 05:03
Well, I didn't get done with the Slugga Boyz in time, but I did get fairly close to being finished. I still have 4 that need metal highlighting, and most of the others still need a little highlighting on the smaller details here and there.

Here's just a few of the models.

I'll post the completely finished pics by this weekend at the latest, when they should be done.

Next up: 10-20-12 The Dakkajet. :D ( I have to add an extra week to my deadline, due to my daughter's birthday falls on the 13th, and I will also be getting ready for that, along with working on the Dakkajet.)

Plague Lord
20-10-2012, 22:40
Nice work bro!!!

Moar DAKKA!!!

le Mediko
21-10-2012, 10:49
Good stuff!
I like the heavy kopta!

AlphariusOmegon20
25-10-2012, 00:50
Unfortunately, I have bad news for anyone that was following this Plog. I have to put this project temporarily on hold, until after the New Year, due to my impending marriage in December.

With all the preparations for that now piling up, the closer we get to the date, I find I simply just do not have the time available for this project right now.

Don't worry, though. It should be started back up by Jan. 5th at the latest.

razormasticator
25-10-2012, 13:53
Good luck with the nuptials. And Hope to see your log come back!

Sir_Glonojad
28-10-2012, 05:16
I like them! Nice red and green (OK, a classic orky contrasting combination, but nicely executed nevertheless). Steel is also convincing - not too shiny, rather industrial IMHO.

Oh, and marriage is a nice thing - I had to start a plog as one of the results! ;)