PDA

View Full Version : Faulty models

GlenMorray
22-08-2012, 19:03
Hello chaps,

Just a quick one really on what everyone here thinks.

I recently bought an Ork Painboy (11) and a Ork Big Mek (15) for the grand total of 26.

I began painting them yesterday when I noticed after about 40% of the way through that they're missing lots and lots of detail.

I've emailed GW customer services but I know what they're going to say;

'Bring them into a local store and we'll swap them'
Or
'POst them to us and we'll swap them'

Now the problem is I don't live anywhere near a local store so I guess the only way I can send them back is via post, which is all fine and well but I've already put quite a few hours into getting them right, so I don't really want to send them back.

I've sent them the ID codes on the blister packs and asked them what they're willing to do to solve the issues, but what do you think is within my right to expect?

Refund, voucher, a little gimmie...?

shelfunit.
22-08-2012, 19:08
The individual miniatures cost them pence to produce, so unless you specifically ask for a refund they will more than likely post you a new model. Did you send them pics of defects, and if so could you post them here in the "Finecast" thread? Welcome to the world of FC, it doesn't get much better than this.

75hastings69
22-08-2012, 19:56
Yep - preapare to be amazed!!! I waited 4 MONTHS to get a dark eldar character worth painting after I purchased it on RELEASE DAY!! 4 months of sending the same stupid model backwards and forwards!

This is the part GW seem not to be able to grasp, this is meant to be a HOBBY, it's expensive which means you've got to be really comitted to it, however the main part of any hobby is that you enjoy it (regardless of expense) having a 2 hour round trip to GWs only NI store to exchange models AT MY OWN FURTHER EXPENSE! that should have been perfect in the first place IS NOT FUN!!!! having to go to the post office every other week returning miscast finecrap IS NOT FUN!!!! having to wait a THIRD OF A YEAR to get an item of acceptable quality after your initial purchase IS NOT FUN!!!! . The thing is GW seem to forget they aren't in the same position they were in a few years back (maybe a decade or so), there are other companies doing BETTER MODELS, CHEAPER MODELS and BETTER QUALITY than GW have produced for a long long time, I just hope more people realise this. I've been getting my painting/model fix elsewhere for a good few months now since FINECRAP finished my enjoyment of GW products and I have to say I couldn't be happier! there is so much choice out there whether you're just wanting a bunch of models for a big tabletop battle for a damn sight cheaper than GW or if you want something of such exquisite detail that it would take you a year to paint (again cheaper than GW too), open your eyes, shop around, don't fall for GWs crap.

Kijamon
22-08-2012, 20:33
Well in the vast majority of cases GW will let you keep the wrecked one and get a replacement. If you approach them with that mentality then don't be surprised if you are asked to return the item for a replacement.

You are within your rights to get a replacement or return it for a refund. That's about it.

In my experiences with forgeworld, you are far better phoning than emailing. Purely because you then become someone's problem rather than being in a giant inbox that people dip in to. This applies to any big business including GW who will work on a larger albeit similar scale.

stroller
22-08-2012, 21:48
I can't profess a lot of sympathy. Both kits come is 4 parts. You presumably assembled them, then got 40% through painting before you noticed a problem. That would suggest to me that the problem wasn't that bad, or you'd have noticed it earlier. You don't want to swap them because you've spent time getting them "right" (which further suggests not "wrong"). Since you've assembled and painted, they can't resell, so replacement or refund are your options. Both involve returning the defective goods. You are entitled to goods fit for purpose, but surely it's not rocket science to check that all is ok before you get the glue out?

75hastings69
22-08-2012, 22:04
I wouldn't be so quick to judge, I've seen a lot of people not notice issues with finecrap until painting has started. Also a lot of problems AFTER painting has been completed (i.e. sagging/drooping) - what an awesome product!!!! LOL

leeoaks
22-08-2012, 22:26
The colour of the finecrap make mssing details hard to spot.

xxRavenxx
22-08-2012, 22:34
I've officially had to return two whole finecast models at my store for replacements. The horror! :\ Two out of hundreds... what a horrid product.

Oh wait...

koran
22-08-2012, 22:41
Well Raven you have been very lucky or have low standards. I havent had a miniature I havent had to return at least once and there has only been a few cases where I didnt feel I was only "settling" for one that was less crap than the others I had seen. Not impressed.

stroller
23-08-2012, 00:00

I beg to differ. My local store manager has more than once shown me some exquisitely detailed models, still in the packet. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that was the case for every model (because I aven't seen ever model) but those I have seen up close have been very detailed.

One of the sales points of finecast is the greater detail - so why would I NOT check it? Also, I wouldn't call checking, washing to degrease, dry fitting to decide poses, gluing and then starting to paint "quick to judge"... not at my painting rate anyway....

williamsond
23-08-2012, 12:44
My buddies had lots of returns at the start of fine cast change over but it does seem to be getting a lot better as time has went on, far fewer returns these days. To be honest I'm still not sold on the stuff myself I think it feels cheep and nasty but thats just my opinion I much prefer the plastics. You should have no trouble returning it though apart from a few horror stories I've heard (multiple returns of the same figure to try and get a good one) most of the returns my friends have had have been rather simple and straight forward with GW not wanting the miss cast one back.

Inquisitor Engel
23-08-2012, 14:13

:wtf: If anything you can see the detail better than metal because it's not shiny!

I've officially had to return two whole finecast models at my store for replacements. The horror! :\ Two out of hundreds... what a horrid product.

This. Zero issues here.

I have found that models that tend to have more issues were 1) First wave Finecast and 2) models designed well before the introduction of Finecast, resulting in materials not being taken into account.

Hendarion
23-08-2012, 15:54
[FONT=Verdana]I have found that models that tend to have more issues were 1) First wave Finecast and 2) models designed well before the introduction of Finecast, resulting in materials not being taken into account.
Hmm. You mean like Isabella-no-nose-Carstein? Or the Necron-chars with blobs instead of cables at their bellies? Or the famous sag-oh-squigs? Or were they actually exactly made to be Finecast? So far we can say one thing for sure: The design of the miniature has nothing to do with the casting quality, because we saw comparable miniatures to be fully ok or absolutely failed. Sometimes we even saw both on the same miniature! Maybe the alignment of the mould and vents has an influence on the quality. But clearly the material has. The sculpt itself though does not.

2ndCompanyVeterans
23-08-2012, 17:00
You are entitled to have the model you paid for in the condition you expect it. If the model you have is not good enough to have then they will swap it for one that is. Ultimately if it's fine to keep keep it, if it's not it's not.

t-tauri
23-08-2012, 17:25
This is a duplicate of the finecast poll (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?305436-Official-WarSeer-Finecast-Poll). Please take it there. Thread closed.