PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard

still-young
22-08-2012, 21:16
My idea for an imperial guard army, is a sort of spec ops, few against many type force, veterans, storm troopers, valyries, sentinels etc. Im planning on kitbashing different regiments (cadian, catachan, perhaps some forge world,) to give each model its own story.

Does this sound like a viable/cool idea?
Also, what armies can ally with IG? (havnt managed to get the rulebook yet)
Thanks

Mikial
23-08-2012, 05:08
It's not a bad idea. I'm not sure what you are proposing in terms of your army list and organization, so it might require your opponent to agree to your list first.

There used to be some special units in, I think 4th Ed, like Col. Schafer's Last Chancers, that had scenarios where 8 guys would go against an entire army using special rules for stealth and killing sentries silently and such. I played a few games like that and they were really hard to win. That could be why they got rid of the units and figs.

IG can ally with SM or GK/Inquisition, among others. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment so I can't get you a comprehensive list. I like to have an Inquisitor from the GK codex with their warband whenever I fight Chaos. I think that would be a perfect kind of list for what you are proposing.

Chem-Dog
23-08-2012, 06:14
Im planning on kitbashing different regiments (cadian, catachan, perhaps some forge world,) to give each model its own story.

Good luck!

While IG can weigh in at a rather tiny 21 models as a minimal legal FOC spend, you'll find probably about 50 infantrymen of various description is a likely ballpark figure for a compact "elite" style guard force. 50 custom guardsmen isn't necessarily hard to do but it can be time consuming enough painting 50 standard guardsmen, you'll find this to be magnified somewhat if every model's significantly modified.

A word of warning about mixing FW and Citadel Guardsmen. It'll look odd. Forgeworld humans are far more "true scale" than anything the Citadel range offers (especially the plastics), it'll be incredibly arduous to make them blend if you're hybridising. While on the subject of Forgeworld, if you're looking to build an IG army that does "Elite" with a heavy dose of Sentinels and Valkyries and don't have spend limit issues, you might find the Elysians (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Elysian_Drop_Troops?filter_reset=1) to be a nice range to use, without too much fuss you can fit most of the models in the range into a regular IG army from the Codex. And they lokk pretty goddamn awesome too!

If you're using Citadel models, don't buy Catachan infantry squads. The models are dire and will not allow you to combine them with anything easily. Stick to the Command Squad and heavy weapon squad boxes and you'll have much more luck.
The Cadians are all much the same, but I would still suggest a ratio of 1 Command box and 1 heavy weapon box for each infantry box, this will allow you access to most of the options for the various IG infantry units with enough cool bits to give your models some character. The two Command boxes are fantastic for the number of cool bits, like peaked caps, bionic arms and variations in uniform that can be used to indicate rank and things like that.

An Elite IG army works quite well. With a flexible choice of wargear to pick from you should be able to build an army that can give most opponents a run for their money.

Welcome to the Guard.

Binky
23-08-2012, 14:16
The Forgeworld Elysian D-11 list sounds just right for that sort of army (though I don't know if it's been updated in a while). Elite troops (for IG), lots of Valkyries and drop sentinels etc.

A.T.
23-08-2012, 14:26
The Forgeworld Elysian D-11 list sounds just right for that sort of army (though I don't know if it's been updated in a while). Elite troops (for IG), lots of Valkyries and drop sentinels etc.Forgeworld released a free update earlier this year - they use the rules from IA8 with the following changes:

HQ - Command squad, Long range ground scanner, Inquisitor Lok (he's got his own update in the characters.pdf file)
Elites - Special weapons squad (taken individually instead of as part of a platoon)
Troops - Veterans
Fast Attack - Drop sentinel, Cyclops, Tauros squadrons
Heavy Support - Vulture gunship, Sentry gun battery

The command squad, special weapon squad, and veterans all cost an additional 20 points each. For this they gain Preferred Enemy (Tyranids) and Surgical Enhancements granting +1 Initiative and the Stubborn special rule.

edit - it's worth noting the long range scanner was also updated in the same file so it's probably best to dig around for the Impgupdate.pdf file