PDA

View Full Version : Game & Battlefield Size

Eternus
24-08-2012, 10:05
Ok, a raft of questions about your preferences when it comes to game and battlefield size. I find peoples differing tastes and experiences with this interesting.

Here are the questions:

1. What size of battlefield to you usually play on, and is this your prefered size or is it due to contraints of space or what kind of battlefield you have available to play on?

2. What point size of Fantasy battle do you usually play, and is this your prefered size or one that is limited by collection or battlefield size?

3. What is the ideal size of game, allowing both sufficient freedom of army selection and manageability of game size, without detracting from the value or impact of key units?

Ultimate Life Form
24-08-2012, 10:18
Standard Battlefield size, 2000 points (3000 if we have much time on our hands, 5000 if we're crazy).

Depending on the army, I find 1500 points to be the absolute minimum for a real game; anything below that is really just a skirmish (but these can be fun, too).

MR. GRUMPY
24-08-2012, 10:48
Hope you do not mind me stealing your thread for a slightly related question Eternus. How big (long) deployment zone do people tend to have? Our chaos player got grumpy when our skaven deployed to the edge of the board saying the deployment zone was to large and that it would take him an extra turn to reach close combat. I cannot remember how big it was but something like 10-12 inches + the 24 inches between boths deployment.

As for Eternus questions.

1. We play on the games workshop battlemat at the moment. It works ok between 1600-2400 I guess, for our 3k games I would prefer a much bigger board.

2. 2000-2500, above this it gets to large and time consuming unless we have planned for it but at the same time it gives us enough room to build interesting lists and get a large game going. Personally I like the escalation when you start a new army. Playing around the 1k mark, then maybe 1500, 2000 etc.. building up for those larger matches is so much fun.

3. I answered this in 2. Around 2400 is optimal for me.

T10
24-08-2012, 10:51
Ok, a raft of questions about your preferences when it comes to game and battlefield size. I find peoples differing tastes and experiences with this interesting.

Here are the questions:

1. What size of battlefield to you usually play on, and is this your prefered size or is it due to contraints of space or what kind of battlefield you have available to play on?

2. What point size of Fantasy battle do you usually play, and is this your prefered size or one that is limited by collection or battlefield size?

3. What is the ideal size of game, allowing both sufficient freedom of army selection and manageability of game size, without detracting from the value or impact of key units?

Standard army size is 2400 points and fits neatly into a 6x4 table. 3000 points works best on 8x4 tables.

shelfunit.
24-08-2012, 10:55
1)6ft x 4ft. This (IMO) is the smallest sized area that a 2000pt game can be played on if you want to do more than just march straight ahead and meet the opponent in a big crunch in the middle of the board.

2) 2000-2500pts, generally preferred size, but I sometimes like to use the whole army.

3) Probably 3000-4000pts on a minimum 8ft x 4ft board. This gives you access to all the troops you have to field and on a area large enough to use them.

Metacarpi
24-08-2012, 11:03

Our group owns a 6ft x 4ft Battleboard, and we live within 30 minutes of Warhammer World, so we have access to multiple tables as needed. Seems an ideal size for me, probably because I'm so used to it.

Usually 2,500 - never below 1,500 unless we're just killing time with a few quick 500point "unit v unit" kind of battles.

2,500 sits just nicely for me - allows me to build a decent core army and take a few toys as well.

Ultimate Life Form
24-08-2012, 11:17
Hope you do not mind me stealing your thread for a slightly related question Eternus. How big (long) deployment zone do people tend to have? Our chaos player got grumpy when our skaven deployed to the edge of the board saying the deployment zone was to large and that it would take him an extra turn to reach close combat.

Sorry, but your Chaos player has no clue what he's talking about. Praythee, how am I supposed to play Skaven with a smaller deployment zone?

MR. GRUMPY
24-08-2012, 12:43
Sorry, but your Chaos player has no clue what he's talking about. Praythee, how am I supposed to play Skaven with a smaller deployment zone?

No need to be sorry I thought he was being a **** to and we made him play it as it was I just want to know we aren't giving him any disadvantages he should not have. :P

Eternus
24-08-2012, 13:17
It's all part of the balancing act of having a huge unwieldy force as opposed to a compact elite force.

Djekar
24-08-2012, 13:36
1. 6x4 table. It's fine for what we normally do.

2. We play either 2500 points or 1500 points. I'd like it to be slightly larger (I find I like 2999 a lot), but it is limited by the collections of people in the group for now.

3. As mentioned above, I think 2999 is a very good number. If it has to be above 3k (really my only problem is the Grand Army rules are silly right at 3k) I'd like it to be 5k+ and on a bigger board.

TornadoCreator
24-08-2012, 13:47
For me, the best game size is 5,000 points. It the size me and my friends usually play. We rarely play anything below 3,000 points and we've never had the chance to play anything bigger. As for board size we play on the Citadel Realm Of Battle Gameboard with the extension pieces which is a 4ft by 8ft game, or on our clubs sculpted tables which are a bit bigger at 6ft by 8ft. These seem good enough, although I've flirted with the possibility of putting two of the Realm Of Battle Gameboards together with the extensions, you could get a massive 8ft by 8ft square of you could mix and match the pieces and have 6ft by 10ft, or even 4ft by 16ft. Not sure if they'd make good battles but it'd be fun to try. I know at 5,000 points the standard tables are quite full, especially if someone's playing Skaven, Goblins, or Vampire Counts so I think that's probably the biggest we could go without overloading the tables really.

Urgat
24-08-2012, 14:28
1) I honestly don't know the size of the boards I play on:
http://www.cobraworld.net/nico/warhammer/br/battle0812-1-4.jpg
anybody wants to guesstimate? :p
I think it's about the good width, as my deployement zones seem adequate, not too big or too small, but it's probably longer than standard, considering we often play 1500pts games, and we always use the 4 boards regardless of game size.

2) We most usually play about 1500pt games, but it's because my opponents don't have more points unless they borrow stuff from other armies.

3) any. I don't play often enough to be picky

Dark Aly
24-08-2012, 14:45
1: 6'x4'
2: Anything 3000 points or less but more recently 1000 point league followed by doubles tourny.
3;: 1000-2000 for me as it forces you to make tough choices so you can't have everything and the kitchen sink, as where's the fun in that?

TornadoCreator
24-08-2012, 15:15
Hope you do not mind me stealing your thread for a slightly related question Eternus. How big (long) deployment zone do people tend to have? Our chaos player got grumpy when our skaven deployed to the edge of the board saying the deployment zone was to large and that it would take him an extra turn to reach close combat. I cannot remember how big it was but something like 10-12 inches + the 24 inches between boths deployment.

Usually you need to keep 24 inches, (which is 2 foot), between the armies, (assuming a 4 foot wide table), which would give you 12 inches to deploy in. If you're using a fatter table you could agree before hand to change this. Some people prefer to use the rule where you can't deploy within 9 inches of the tables side edges which is used in some scenarios. Sounds to me like the guy playing Chaos was just whining for the sake of whining.

Lorcryst
24-08-2012, 15:27

Standard 6'x4' table.

2400 points usually, but I cannot go higher than 2000 with my Night Goblins (and those fill the table from edge to edge, 220+ models in the army), and sometimes 2999 with my Daemons (the only point value where I can have a fully kitted GUO).

Anywhere between 2000 and 3000 ... we've tried some Civil Wars at 1000 points, and a couple of introduction games at 500~750, but below 2000 is too little, and above 3000 is too time consuming for us.

Eternus
24-08-2012, 15:34
My battlefield, which I have only just set back up after many many months in storage (first the joyful but hobby slaying arrival of a baby, then moving house) is a grass mat (6'x4') stuck down onto three 2'x4' sections of plaster board - gives a lightweight but firm battlefield - and I plan on playing games up to 3000 points on it. I would like to play bigger games as well, but will need to extend to 8'x4' for that I think.

I think my prefered game size is about 2500, a decent size of game but still not enough points to throw away.

Lord Cedric
24-08-2012, 15:41
When we have only a few hours to play, we'll use a 4'x6' table (the very nice new-style Battle Mat) with a deployment of 12" from back edge and 8"-in on both sides. This is usually played at a preferred 2400 points though we have played it between 1500 and 2400.

When we really want a longer game, we'll break out the 4'x12' designed game table with deployment zones around 2' each and add terrain that fits aesthetically. We'll game on this with 2400 point on-up and even bring in team match-ups.

- Lord Cedric

Moss
24-08-2012, 18:11

Look how neatly those archers fit on that hill without movement trays!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Asensur
24-08-2012, 18:31
1. 6ftx4ft. I always use a forest, a hill, an obstacle, a watch tower and 1 magic terrain. We use normal deployment rules as per rulebook.

2. 2000 points, fast and not too limiting.

3. Between 1000 and 4000 points it's good.

Ramius4
24-08-2012, 18:34
Typically 3500 point games for my group, sometimes larger. We play on either an 8x4 or 12x4 table, just depending on how much room we want to save on the end of it for books, food, etc.

arthurfallz
24-08-2012, 18:46

We play on a 6' x 4' board. It's a plain white melamine board, felt pads on the bottom to stop it from scratching the table. I would love to get the official warhammer battle sections, but they're pricey!

We play at 2,500 points by choice. This way we can field special characters. When we are putting out armies we're in the process of building, that total can drop as low as 1,000 points. I think 3,000 is the highest we ever went, and it was a disaster (the Vampire Count player had tons he could do with 3,000 points, whereas I just couldn't match it.)

I like the 2,500 range honestly. I would love to toy with a Grand Army at some point. The other fun thing to do would be to have a four player game, with each player having 2,000 points (allies, still a 1 on 1 game).

King Arthur
24-08-2012, 18:49
Its a bit barren well I would like to always play on 6x4 but the local store only has 4x4 which is alright but leaves the options closed as Brets and can stride across the battlefield with relative ease we often play 2k and 1k. Very rarely we play 1k for double games and quick skirmishs (espcially as we have the doubles tourney coming up in november) and 2.4k games, good fun and yet are still tactical.

Warrior of Chaos
25-08-2012, 02:37

1. I have a 4' by 6' game table at home that I made. At the store where we play I believe they are 4' by 8'. I actually prefer 4' by 6' for most battles unless the game size jumps up beyond 2500pts.
2. We usually play between 1500pts and 2000pts. I prefer 2000pts because it allows the possibility to include most units you want to (good variety). I enjoy the occasional "Big" game at 2500pts, but not for day to day gaming.
3. I think most armies reach their peak between 1750 and 2250pts, so if the game is in that bandwidth I don't see how you can go wrong. I hate playing games below 1000pts because it really hurts some armies.

DaemonReign
25-08-2012, 03:56
6 feet wide minimum, 14 feet wide maximum. The 'big' table has so far only seen use during summer-time when we can play outdoors.

Average game size is just over 5k in our group (concidering the last few years, that is).

If you only have 1 24h period at your disposal then 5-6k is a good size. I find it well worth the effort, however, of planning for 2 days which allows for 8-10k games (and they never fail to become awesome experiences).

yabbadabba
25-08-2012, 09:15
Preference: 3k+, 8'x4'
Currently: 1-6k, 6'x4'

snyggejygge
25-08-2012, 10:17
6*4 table
Usually play 1500 points games, weve found this to be a balanced value & takes about as much time as we have spare.

RaShondala
25-08-2012, 10:22
6x4, unless I'm at home, then our dining table is 6x3.

I enjoy 2000, but I prefer 1000 point games.

I would go with 1500 points, just as a compromise between the two above.

nurgle5
26-08-2012, 15:34
We usually play either 500pts or 2400pts, depending on how many games we want to fit into an evening, usually on a 6x4 green mat table.