PDA

View Full Version : Armoured Sentinels or Devil Dog

Commissar Davis
24-08-2012, 14:33
Looking for some community advice as in a mix of whether to get more Sentinels or a pair of Devil Dogs, to go with a Hydra.

I already have something like 9 lascannon , 9 autocannon , 7 heavy bolter and 9-10 grenade launchers and a battle cannon.

for another 250 I could easily do a few more Sentinels with lascannons, or drop on and have a pair of Devil Dogs, all of which is enemy harassment, to keep the fire power away from my MBT.

Thoughts? :confused:

ColShaw
24-08-2012, 16:06
If you want to harass the enemy and force them back, I feel like the Devil Dogs might be more useful. They're more mobile, and you get about 2 for the cost of 3 armored Sentinels, which gives you the same number of hull points against glances, better side armor, and 4 anti-tank guns as opposed to 3 (assuming you go with the hull Multimeltas, which I kinda think you should).

I actually like both units, but I think the DDs will do more damage to the enemy. On the other hand, they'll be closer to the enemy and thus more vulnerable to getting stomped on. But hey, being a Guardsman ain't easy.

Blinder
24-08-2012, 16:45
Additionally, the DD's cannon is somewhat forgiving compared to an LC or even AC on the sentinels when it comes to making sure at least one of your guns hits something (especially if you run out of tanks to shoot at), without the new "feature" of plasma-sentinels in that they can melt themselves.

Commissar Davis
24-08-2012, 17:58
The Devil Dogs have an effective ranged of 36 inches... is that correct, or have I misread read the rules?

Hawthorne
24-08-2012, 18:18
The Devil Dogs have an effective ranged of 36 inches... is that correct, or have I misread read the rules?
Their range is 24".
Theoretically it can scatter to go 36" away but that's a heck of a thing to hope for.

Commissar Davis
24-08-2012, 18:31
And on 'inyerface' deepstrike type armies, a reasonable deterrence? It is kind of my armies weak spot.

MyNameDidntFit
24-08-2012, 18:48

Move 12" then fire. Yep.

Sons of Lorgar
24-08-2012, 20:18
A very reasonable deterrent, a good melta cannon hit will vapourize at least 2 terminators of a THSS squad or 3-4 of any other kind of terminators or Oblitterators.

Brotheroracle
24-08-2012, 20:42
I think Devil dogs are great, they will take a lot of enemy fire pretty early though no one wants four mobile melta shots next to their army. They will take a lot of shots that could of hit your MBT though.

Commissar Davis
24-08-2012, 20:44
Hmmm... well I think I have found my new toys then. The only thing left to solve is an answer to Necrons other than focusing everything I have on them.

FashaTheDog
25-08-2012, 02:59
I vote Catapults, I mean armored Sentinels with a missile launcher and hunter killer missile, on the grounds that I like the model better. Otherwise by game effect, yeah the Devildog is probably a better bet.

Commissar Davis
25-08-2012, 10:14
That does sound cool, but I find that missiles live up to the miss in their name.

FashaTheDog
25-08-2012, 13:39
Mine never misses, must be the target acquisition gear my other Sentinels are equipped with ;).

Sons of Lorgar
25-08-2012, 18:29
Like your Inner-sphere conversion job Fasha, it's just a bit on the tiny side ;)

Laser guided fanatic
25-08-2012, 18:37
That sentinel reminds be of bugs bunny for some reason...

FashaTheDog
26-08-2012, 05:34
Like your Inner-sphere conversion job Fasha, it's just a bit on the tiny side ;)

I do have half a mind to make a Rifleman pattern Hydra to match. I will name it Legend Killer and paint a little ghost in cross hairs on it too!

Chem-Dog
26-08-2012, 12:09
It's a tough call actually. There's Bonus points to both the Sentinels and the Devil Dogs.
Consider the "halflife" of either. If you inflict 3 Hull Points of damage (assuming no other effects) that'll kill one Devil Dog and one Sentinel, leaving you slightly (and probably only temporarily) better off with Sentinels. Sentinels are also slightly better at self defence by virtue of their status as Walkers and similarly (sans Blast weapons, at least) they can Overwatch.
The only other thing Sentinels have over the Devil Dogs is their ability to attempt so engage air targets with their main (only) weapon.

Devil Dogs are fast. Thanks to the fact blasts now always resolve at full strength a minor scatter isn't as likely to nullify the shot and at least a full on miss still has the chance of hitting something that is most likely to suffer quite badly from it. The Second gun gives you a little insurance should one get blown off, and offsets all but the worst attentions of the dice gods.

Personally I'd pick sentinels every time. But I am biased in their favour. I love 'em.

Commissar Davis
26-08-2012, 16:50
It's a tough call actually. There's Bonus points to both the Sentinels and the Devil Dogs.
Consider the "halflife" of either. If you inflict 3 Hull Points of damage (assuming no other effects) that'll kill one Devil Dog and one Sentinel, leaving you slightly (and probably only temporarily) better off with Sentinels. Sentinels are also slightly better at self defence by virtue of their status as Walkers and similarly (sans Blast weapons, at least) they can Overwatch.
The only other thing Sentinels have over the Devil Dogs is their ability to attempt so engage air targets with their main (only) weapon.

Devil Dogs are fast. Thanks to the fact blasts now always resolve at full strength a minor scatter isn't as likely to nullify the shot and at least a full on miss still has the chance of hitting something that is most likely to suffer quite badly from it. The Second gun gives you a little insurance should one get blown off, and offsets all but the worst attentions of the dice gods.

Personally I'd pick sentinels every time. But I am biased in their favour. I love 'em.

Now here's the thing that gets me. My Sentinels are rarely bothered, in till they start doing their thing. This is great in most circumstances, but it means my MBT is picked on. What I need is something to divert attention from the MBT.

Now I could run 2 packs of Sentinels, maybe 3, and still run into the same problem of them being seen as low priority for DS type armies. DS armies is what my list it weakest against, as I find myself having to react rather than running my list to its strengths, trying to defend other units.

Everyone and their dog knows that Devil Dogs are bad news if not neutered quickly, and can even take the place of my MBT if need be.

The other option is to take something like 5 special weapon teams with meltas to act as a shield wall, and that has all kinds of drawbacks.

Tay051173096
27-08-2012, 00:26
Depends on how much terrain you play with as well, but for deepstrike armies the devil is better as it murders clumps and the main gun can be turned without the need to show the sides or rear (not sure if you were looking at armoured sentinel).

If you are looking at the scout sentinel would you use its scout and move through cover or would the heavier armour be better against your local players?

Commissar Davis
27-08-2012, 12:52
Depends on how much terrain you play with as well, but for deepstrike armies the devil is better as it murders clumps and the main gun can be turned without the need to show the sides or rear (not sure if you were looking at armoured sentinel).

If you are looking at the scout sentinel would you use its scout and move through cover or would the heavier armour be better against your local players?

I go armoured, the scout version would have to start off the board to be any use or sat way back. The armoured ones easily make their points back, but that is not the issue. Even with 7 Chimera, the MTB gets it in the face every time.

I suppose I could find the extra 40pts to field another MBT...