PDA

View Full Version : Which Model is the worst?

Hudson Gameover
24-08-2012, 19:26
I've been looking through all GW's models, new to very old and I came up with three models that I can barely look at because they are so terrible, realy, they hurt my eyes.
Now all three of these models are new(ish), WTF! Their must have been at least one or two people on the team that said "we cant release these, they are well below our standards".

Jind_Singh
24-08-2012, 19:28
So what were these fuglies????

TornadoCreator
24-08-2012, 19:33
I've been looking through all GW's models, new to very old and I came up with three models that I can barely look at because they are so terrible, realy, they hurt my eyes.
Now all three of these models a new(ish), WTF! Their must have been at least one or two people on the team that said "we cant release these, they are well below our standards".

For me it's the Chaos Chariot. Wow is that ugly. The last reminiscence of the old Warriors Of Chaos, the ones that look like armoured chimpanzees walking funny after a long session of back door praying to Slaanesh. So what are your three?

Hudson Gameover
24-08-2012, 19:41
My vote is the Razorgor. That model is so ugly and crap its just wrong. At least the other two had a basis of what they had to look like, which they did a bad job off, but they could have made the razorgor look like anything and they came up with that! So awful.

Gary wyper
24-08-2012, 19:43
chimera, nuff said

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Urgat
24-08-2012, 19:45
When painted a sensible way, they actually all look good imho. Yes, even the razorgor.

Scammel
24-08-2012, 19:57
When painted a sensible way, they actually all look good imho. Yes, even the razorgor.

My stance too. For me the worst models producted in the last decade were the metal Possessed, which turned up in a WD once in my memory when they were released, were never featured again and were replaced ASAP by the plastic ones. Dear. God. Man.

shelfunit.
24-08-2012, 20:08
The Pumbagore is too funny to be truely bad - it's just an amateur scultptors first effort or a decent sculptors least bothered day at the office ever. The mantcore and chimera (or crime-era as I prefer to call it) are dreadful minatures. Those poor sculpts lowered the entire storm of magic mini-release. There are no redeming features on the chimera whatsoever (I have had to paint 3 of the horrors). It should never have gotten out of the design stage. Sadly epitomises the happy-meal toy stage Warhammer fantasy is going through at the moment.

Graxy
24-08-2012, 20:19
For me it's the Chaos Chariot.

Agree with you but we gotta take the time it was made into consideration. Model standard has really gone up as theyears progressed, making the older models look worse. Not taking time into consideration though, I'd say grom is the worst. God, everytime I see that model, I feel like punching something very, very hard (hard enough to break my hand and anything it touches). Still, fingers crossed for dual warshrine chariot kit though :)

From the actual options though, I'm going with pumba. There's so many spikes! What is going on with his eyes? Why foes he have a spawn arm as a tail? Why did gw think he was finecrap worthy? (Though, to be fair, I doubt you'd notice any air bubbles considering the amount of random holes spread out across the model) Why is he worth Ģ15 when I could literakky buy a child's pumba toy for a few pounds, put him on a base and it would look better than this model?

I actually ike the manticore (and I especially like that hulk of a chaos lord/ sorcerer riding him), it's a vast improvement over the past model (the beastmaster one) and is plastic so easier to assemble.

Kind of mixed feelings about the chimera. I neither like it nor dislike it. Nothing really going badly for it, but nothing really going for it IMO.

TheBearminator
24-08-2012, 20:32
I wanted to scream "CHAOS DREADNOUGHT!", then realized we were discussing fantasy.

Hm. In fantasy I think it's often more the concept of a creation than the actual quality of the model that disturbs me. But there's still a lot of ugly vampire counts for sale. Never liked gw skeletons, but I realize it's a difficult thing to cast as it's supposed to be hollow.

Hudson Gameover
24-08-2012, 20:41
Those poor sculpts lowered the entire storm of magic mini-release.

Damn right! I didnt give storm of magic the time of day for about six mounths because of them. Terrible way to start a new venture by GW.

T9nv3
24-08-2012, 20:54
Am I mistaken in thinking that all three models were sculpted by one "specific" person?

Either way, in spite of the beer-belly I actually like the Manticore. I picked one up for my Dark Elves and once painted with real world colours it looks alright. Chimera is ok. I have no use for it so i've never given it much attention. The razorgore, however, just cracks me up....he reminds me of a Dog I used to own. I guess it depends on whether or not you want "humour" in your army....either way....I voted razorgore.

Moss
24-08-2012, 21:07
I think the manticore and chimera actually look good. The razorgore however, looks comical.

NonComPoop
24-08-2012, 21:38
I actually dont mind any of the models offered for voting, although the dragon head portion of the chimera is not very apealing...kinda makes it look like something that Godzilla stomped into a Japanese hillside in one of his delightfull adventures! That being said I think the worst model(s) that GW ever made are the Blood Dragon vampires that came out with the first release of the VC book that included bloodline..the ones with the goofy bats on thier helmets. Our gaming group had taken to calling them the "Scooby Doo" vampires.
Another least favorite unit of models were the Kroxigors that preceeded the current ones. They were awkwardley posed and looked like dragons mated with salamaders?!?
While I'm at it the current Salamanders are horrible, especially when you compare them to the Deimetradon(sp?) looking originals.....seriously, look at thier legs..what is happening there??
oh, and the less said about the harpies the better.........ok I'm done for now :)

SimaoSegunda
24-08-2012, 22:14
How did the Cockatrice not make it into that list?!?!

Hudson Gameover
24-08-2012, 22:14
I forgot one that should be in the the poll, The new Bloodthirster.

In fact all of the new greater demons look a lot worse than the old (20 year old) ones.

Urgat
24-08-2012, 22:23

By virtue of being an awesome model :p

NonComPoop
24-08-2012, 22:32
By virtue of being an awesome model :p

I couldn't agree more!
I have one in my Beastman army that I use as a Jabberslythe or a cockatrice in storm of magic games.

All Glory to the Hypnochicken!

Askari
24-08-2012, 22:38

Because it's superb.

I don't like the Keeper of Secrets. That thing wouldn't allure the most beer-goggled drunkard in Rhyl.

The Dire Troll
24-08-2012, 22:42
my three choices,Chaos marauders, skaven night runners, and High elf spearman/archers. Thought the three mini's on the poll are not great I have a liking for them, not sure why but I like the manticore and chimera. Razorgor I dont really have an opinion on, never looked at one, and I take the time to not make a final judgement till I see a mini in the flesh/metal/plastic/resin. I think the Cockatrice is one of gamesworkshops best monsters, cant really fault it looks wise.

Desd
24-08-2012, 22:51
Razorgore! its just a horrible model.

Drasanil
25-08-2012, 01:06
Voted for all three, at least the Razorgor is funny, sort of, the Chimera and Manticore are just horrible. I'm just glad I have the metal dark elf one from 6th ed.... looks so much better. I would have also added the high spearmen and archers plastics, those models are just so damned ugly, no army should be cursed with the likes of those plastic kits.

TheDarkDuke
25-08-2012, 01:38
Razorgor by far. Anyone who says otherwise needs their eyes checked:p

Bob Arctor
25-08-2012, 02:18
I like the Razorgor (although I do keep getting reminder letters to get my eyes tested as its been a while......). The Manticore is OK, and is redeemed somewhat by its riders I think. The Chimera is......not great.

The worst models though are definitely the Necropolis Knights. I don't care how good they may be in game, I can't stand to have them in my own TK army.

StygianBeach
25-08-2012, 08:06
For me it's the Chaos Chariot. Wow is that ugly. The last reminiscence of the old Warriors Of Chaos, the ones that look like armoured chimpanzees walking funny after a long session of back door praying to Slaanesh. So what are your three?

The whole 5th edition Chaos Warrior look was terrible. The one before and after were great though.

I voted for Pumba, but I really dont like the look of all 3., though I could be tempted into buying the Manticore because I like the idea of having a Manticore in my army.

Funny no onw has mentioned the 'need to pee' Tomb King guy.

Why
25-08-2012, 08:29
You mean Mister pee the Liche Priest. Yeah he's one ugly guy. I voted for the razorgor, but I do like the crazy look in his eyes;)

eldargal
25-08-2012, 08:29
So, you deprived yourself of a perfectly good rules supplement because you didn't like some of the models that you don't need to buy to use said rules supplement?

Damn right! I didnt give storm of magic the time of day for about six mounths because of them. Terrible way to start a new venture by GW.

Urgat
25-08-2012, 09:19
I wanted to scream "CHAOS DREADNOUGHT!", then realized we were discussing fantasy.

I trust you're not talking about the new one from that 40K starter set? It's amazing if you ask me.And if these chaos warriors are anything to go by, the next WoC minis are going to be a treat. First time I like CSM minis, but wow, what a first time.

Dark Aly
25-08-2012, 10:09
So, you deprived yourself of a perfectly good rules supplement because you didn't like some of the models that you don't need to buy to use said rules supplement?

it was the same for me too. I was looking forward to it but the uninspired look (not ugly in my opinion) of some of the monsters sort of made me a bit apathetic towards the whole lot. I like to collect cool plastic toys not rules and when some of the flagship minis released with a ruleset are a bit underwhelming it dosn't matter too much how good the rules are. Although I do like storm of magic now but wasn't that fussed about it at the time of release.

I still voted razorgor though as the metal possessed mentioned earlier aren't an option.

RaShondala
25-08-2012, 10:17
All of the Greater Daemons, aside from arguably the GUO are truly disgusting.

The Razorgor makes my eyes bleed though. No idea why anyone would want to field a unit of that​.

Jind_Singh
25-08-2012, 11:02
Mmmm,,

Manticore by far was a let down - and it'll be years and years before that horror is remade!

Minotaurs - YUK! What a shame, could have been best plastics ever but we get stuck with mad cow disease!

(and special mention to)

Necroknights - look like they surfing the snakes - cool concept but poor execution - but by no means the worst.

shelfunit.
25-08-2012, 11:04
The Razorgor makes my eyes bleed though. No idea why anyone would want to field a unit of that​.

Add a nurgling painted up like Timon sitting on his back and I could see the charm of having one around...

BigbyWolf
25-08-2012, 11:08
Pole is broken, no options for Nagash, Ariel, Skaw, Ghorgon, non-FW GUO, etc.

Although it's all subjective, a lot of the hate for the Razorgor comes from internet bandwaggoning and the conversions GW did of them for a battle report. I own two, they really are not that bad.

EmperorNorton
25-08-2012, 11:16
Doesn't that make the GUO a complete failure, considering he is the one that is supposed to be truly disgusting? And I think the Lord of Change is good (although assembling the metal one was not).

On topic: Razorgor, hands down. That thing is just ridiculous.

Solegga
25-08-2012, 11:22
C'mon, the Chimera isn't bad, it's simply OK. :)

Razorgor is ugly as hell, Furies are also... not old... ancient. DO Sculpt something new! I mean, you are Games Workshop, right? :rolleyes:

Micha
25-08-2012, 15:32
Oh well the razorgor is.. terrible. It ist just ugly and painting one would be a true horror. The large monsters are serviceable, but Iīve never enjoyed painting the big guys anyway. But there are far worse WHFB models. Bretonnian Fay Enchantress - everything is horrible, the face, green leaves, and the uncicorn has a very ugly, sneering expression I would expect on a derk elven steed. Oh and minotaurs, both new and old - horrible, donīt think GW will ever make pretty ones. M.

DaemonReign
25-08-2012, 16:39
I'm not arguing the Razorgor is the best thing to come out of GW, but I frankly don't Think it deserves being compared [like this poll] to two of the most bland plastic kits I've ever seen. Whether or not the Manticore sucks more than the Chimera is a moot question, they both chase each other to rock-bottom and I already forgot which-one I voted for. Not that I had much interest for SoM to begin with, but those two abominations definately didn't help.

Funny the GDs get an honorary mention in this thread. I agree with those basic sentiments although it's funny how we differ on details: I actually Think the LoC is 'ok', with the Keeper being 'rather all right' and the other two (GUO&Thirster) being absolutely hideous. At any rate, new plastic kits for all 4 will probably come in handy - as long as they don't get A-rock bases and rules written in five minutes by a seemingly stoned person (like Flamers). *haha*

Hudson Gameover
25-08-2012, 21:26
Am I mistaken in thinking that all three models were sculpted by one "specific" person?

Is this true?
If anyone ever meets them, please poke them in the eye for me.

Soundwave
26-08-2012, 05:11

This is my sensible answer as well! I have painted some of the old dark elf witch elves (you know the butch chunky ones) and they turned out ok. On the topic of bad minis i must say the high elf archers are way down there as well as the silver helms,the archers look as though they are ready for bed after stepping out of the shower and the silver helms are just ugggh.But again a lot of hard work with a decent paint job may bring them into justified light.

Feefait
26-08-2012, 06:25
Anyone remember the old GI Joe guy Gnawgahyde? That's all i can think of when i see the razorgore. Could have gone in so many directions and they chose... whatever that crap is. Ug-lee.

Wesser
26-08-2012, 09:54
I can't vote in thread like this when neither Treekin, Luminark or Galrauch is in it.

Those models can actually make me angry....

hawo0313
26-08-2012, 12:57
i voted chimera i was surprised to find i actually liked the razorgor it revolts me which is fitting because its designed to

Sheena Easton
26-08-2012, 13:24
Out of those three, the Razorgor. Out of the entire current range, the plastic Nurgle Lord followed by the mounted Lord Of Khore and the Dark Elf Dreadlord with Handweapon, Liche Priest that is soliing itself and the one-winged Vampire.

My stance too. For me the worst models producted in the last decade were the metal Possessed, which turned up in a WD once in my memory when they were released, were never featured again and were replaced ASAP by the plastic ones. Dear. God. Man.

I quite liked a couple of those metal Posessed... but the others were shocking.I've never seen or heard of anyone who actually bought them and used them...

Urgat
26-08-2012, 13:36
The plastic Nurgle lord? Him (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1950101a_99070201003_NurgleChaosLord01_873x627.jp g)? Not going to discuss tastes, but among the worst minis GW has ever done?

Autumn Leaves
26-08-2012, 13:48
The chimera sadly epitomises the happy-meal toy stage Warhammer fantasy is going through at the moment.

That made me laugh out loud.

I voted Pumba but it still isn't as bad as Gary Morleys 'Nagash' model, aka Crunchy the Clown, from GW's days gone by.

eldargal
26-08-2012, 13:49
It is true, but blame the concept artist, not the sculptor. Trish Carden (ex Morrison) is also responsible for some extremely good sculpts, but everyone focuses on a few bad sculpts which are more to do with style than execution.

Is this true?
If anyone ever meets them, please poke them in the eye for me.

nurgle5
26-08-2012, 15:25
My vote goes to either the Beast of Nurgle (only one sculpt, which is a bit rubbish if want more than one) or the Soul Grinder (too 40k and probably not enough skulls to be a true fantasy mini :D)

Have to agree, the Keeper of Secrets is just not sexy enough! :p

Necroknights - look like they surfing the snakes - cool concept but poor execution - but by no means the worst.

Not the worst, no, but... how are you supposed to transport them? Just looking at a few of the new undead kits, GW seems to have forgotten that these minis have to able to fit into some sort of carry case (I'm looking at you Coven Throne!).

Sheena Easton
26-08-2012, 18:01
The plastic Nurgle lord? Him (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1950101a_99070201003_NurgleChaosLord01_873x627.jp g)? Not going to discuss tastes, but among the worst minis GW has ever done?

Yes, him. It does nothing for me - especially when compared to the excellent Lord Of Nurgle (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1183594_99110201137_ChaosLordNurgle_873x627.jpg) and classic Nurgle Champion with Fly Head (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2070114_99060201227_NurgleChampionFly_873x627.jpg ) - and I think it looks amateurish and badly executed. There are a few long OOP models I think are worse, but from the current range, for me this is the worst.

TheDarkDuke
27-08-2012, 13:40
I'm not arguing the Razorgor is the best thing to come out of GW, but I frankly don't Think it deserves being compared [like this poll] to two of the most bland plastic kits I've ever seen. Whether or not the Manticore sucks more than the Chimera is a moot question, they both chase each other to rock-bottom and I already forgot which-one I voted for. Not that I had much interest for SoM to begin with, but those two abominations definately didn't help.

Id take bland plastic monsters over OMGWTF is that thing. One thing the razorgor has working for it now is that its finecast, meaning that maybe you'll end up getting such a malformed scuplt of it it may look decent :)

Late
27-08-2012, 14:15
Because it's superb.

I don't like the Keeper of Secrets. That thing wouldn't allure the most beer-goggled drunkard in Rhyl.

Yeah, they seem to have a problem with producing "sexy" Slaanesh models probably out of fear that it wouldn't go down well with the parent's of the kiddie sector of WH players, especially in a country like the US.

Rotgut
27-08-2012, 16:22
I haven't seen any of the models in the flesh, but I have a hard time imagining the razorgor not being horrible. The Manticore and the Chimera look alright based on the pictures.

The High Elf Archers are some of the worst models I have ever had the misfortune of working with. Chaos Marauders are just as bad.

I suspect the people mentioning Minotaurs of judging them based on the GW pictures with the abysmal paint jobs. They're absolutely amazing models. I envy the Beastmen players their fantastic minis.

loveless
27-08-2012, 16:33
Out of the options, the Razorgor. Out of the whole range, the Razorgor. This is followed by Skaven Night Runners, non-IoB Rat Ogres, High Elf Spearmen, Dark Elf Spearmen, Chaos Marauders, Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, look-how-wide-my-face-is Korhil, the female Dreadlord, the Dark Steed Dreadlord, and about half of the Dwarf range.

Lorcryst
27-08-2012, 17:34
Out of the three choices, the Chimera. I quite like the Razorgor, and the Manticore makes a good centerpiece for a WoC army.

But out of the entire range ... Bobo the Clown, aka Nagash ... huge, ungaily, wonky head, horrible, horrible sculpt. Extensive facial chirurgy is needed, at least.

Zeroth
27-08-2012, 17:39
Usually they are worse the older they are. Games Workshop are pretty good at making nice looking models nowadays. Quickly running through my mind are the armies I play, I find the Fiends of Slaanesh horrible, Chaos Dreadnought is also poop.

Hudson Gameover
28-08-2012, 20:41
Usually they are worse the older they are.

I do not agree with this at all!
All four of the old greater demon models are better than the new ones and they came out in the 80's! The 80's nurglings are better than the 90's ones and on par with the new ones. Every one of the very old chaos warriors are in high demand because they are very good. ALL the 80's dwarf models are better than the new.
These are of the top of my head. GW should be doing better than this, its 20 years on!

Kaiserdean
29-08-2012, 17:00
I really don't like the night goblin boss riding a giant squig. The goblin looks great but the eyes on the squig keep me from picking one up.

Kaiserdean
29-08-2012, 17:01
Usually they are worse the older they are. Games Workshop are pretty good at making nice looking models nowadays. Quickly running through my mind are the armies I play, I find the Fiends of Slaanesh horrible, Chaos Dreadnought is also poop.

I disagree too. The Aly Morrison dwarfs are some of the best models GW has ever produced.

Lord Squidar
29-08-2012, 17:17
The Brettonian damsel on horseback. She looks like a botox experiment gone wrong, hated painting it.