PDA

View Full Version : Would you want Warhammer Forge to "do a Horus Heresy" with Warhammer?

Odin
25-08-2012, 17:17
Those of you who aren't interested in the grim darkness of the far future, where there is only power armour, may not be aware, but Forgeworld are producing at least 3 books on the Horus Heresy with accompanying models (of course) including primarchs.

So, is this something you'd like to see happen with Warhammer? The popularity of the Black Library's Horus Heresy books must be one of the main reasons for Forgeworld delving into the past, and Black Library have done the same with Malekith, Sigmar etc.

Personally, I'd love to be able to refight the campaigns of Sigmar, with some proper barbarian tribesmen in place of the frilly handgun-wielding Empire of the "present day" (though I like them too). Could be an ideal place for a new model of Nagash too.

The Sundering would be a great setting as well.

Urgat
25-08-2012, 18:04
Well yeah, sure?

passwordman
25-08-2012, 18:10
I could definitely like to see Warhammer Forge doing books on Time of Legend events, especially if it meant you could do an Empire army before black powder weapons and wizards.

Passwordman

Soundwave
25-08-2012, 18:12
Yes most definitely! Bring back Nagash, although super characters can become boring,it would still be fun for one or two battles.

Urgat
25-08-2012, 18:32
I could definitely like to see Warhammer Forge doing books on Time of Legend events, especially if it meant you could do an Empire army before black powder weapons and wizards.

Passwordman

To be honest, that'd be pretty much a marauder army.

Antipathy
25-08-2012, 18:55
Pre Undead Khemrians, yes please.

logan054
25-08-2012, 20:48

and Sigmar is a chaos lord?

underscore
25-08-2012, 21:18
They should be cheeky and just make Sigmar one of the missing Primarchs and include him in the HH releases, just to annoy everyone. :)

Whatever they do, I just hope it includes Empire Knights which actually look good.

Odin
25-08-2012, 21:22
Well yeah, sure?

Well, it seems obvious to me too, but the number of people complaining about the Horus Heresy books is really quite surprising. Except it's the internet isn't it, and specifically whineseer, so there's always going to be someone who's not happy!

Nah, it'd be on 20mm bases, with archers, light chariots... plus I'm sure there's more stuff I'm forgetting.

StygianBeach
25-08-2012, 22:23
Nah, it'd be on 20mm bases, with archers, light chariots... plus I'm sure there's more stuff I'm forgetting.

They could be on 25mm bases, as a representation of a looser (more Tribal) fighting formation. Then, you would only need a Marauder archer conversion pack to round out the Sigmar list.

Urgat
25-08-2012, 22:29
and Sigmar is a chaos lord?

Rules wise? Yeah, at the very least.

Well, it seems obvious to me too, but the number of people complaining about the Horus Heresy books is really quite surprising. Except it's the internet isn't it, and specifically whineseer, so there's always going to be someone who's not happy!
Complaining? Why? :confused:

Nah, they'd be marauders if you ask me, on 25mm bases, they were not the neat imperial units, they were pretty much barbarian bands. Like marauders :). Marauder chariots instead of chaos warrior chariots, marauders with bows, sure. As I said, pretty much marauders ;)

logan054
25-08-2012, 22:34
Rules wise? Yeah, at the very least.

Khorne lord you say? makes perfect sense ;)

Honestly with warhammer forge I like what they did with the chaos book and I would love to see more stuff like that, I have my fingers crossed that if the new warrior book doesnt have rules for jugger knights in then forgeworld will see the money in and make some :D

Urgat
25-08-2012, 22:39
Rules-wise, I said ;)

logan054
25-08-2012, 22:59
Rules-wise, I said ;)

Fluffwise you say? I couldn't agree more, maybe slaanesg because he ran around naked?

mrtn
25-08-2012, 23:01
Those of you who aren't interested in the grim darkness of the far future, where there is only power armour, may not be aware, but Forgeworld are producing at least 3 books on the Horus Heresy with accompanying models (of course) including primarchs.

So, is this something you'd like to see happen with Warhammer?
I don't think there is any comparable part of the Warhammer history. Maybe the first big chaos incursion after the collapse of the polar portals would fit in the "epic battles" sense, but it lacks all the history and the characters of the Horus Heresy, and playing "Saurus General #1205 vs Greater Daemon #237" just isn't as cool.

NonComPoop
26-08-2012, 00:57
I've always thought that the period that gave rise to Sigmar would be an awesome setting for a skirmish game! Various human tribes each with it's own flavour, strengths and weaknesses. Earlier, less tech oriented dwarves. Savage orcs and forest goblins...marauding beastmen. Chaos raiders. Could be realy cool, not that anyone would put money behind a skirmish sized game these days, mores the pity.

Soundwave
26-08-2012, 06:01
Well on the topic with the existing fluff,wich long dead super characters do we have? I can think of Sigmar,Nagash,Anerion,Gilles what other founding representatives do we have for the races? These are the ones that spring to mind with what i can remember ,can any one else help out here?

Grimdesign
26-08-2012, 06:17
Fluffwise you say? I couldn't agree more, maybe slaanesg because he ran around naked?

Well he did change the way humans associated with each other by creating a united empire, so you can throw tzentch in there.

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-08-2012, 06:46
I don't even want them to do one for 40k, but I don't really think you have an equivalent period in Warhammer anyway. Although I suppose they could do one of the Chaos Incursions, problem is though that its sort of been done before and the further you go back the more some armies change/ disappear. Something that isn't really true in 40k (okay, Tau is a problem). But I guess the could do things like War of the Beard, the Elven Civil War, Khemri vs. Nagash, etc. The problem with doing Sigmar to me at least is that there isn't really a high profile opponent. He does fight Nagash but its not really about him. If you wanted to do Empire the Vampire wars are much better.

Cap'n Facebeard
26-08-2012, 08:00
I've always thought that the period that gave rise to Sigmar would be an awesome setting for a skirmish game!

I had an idea awhile ago bout using the LotR rules for this. Aragorn as Sigmar, Sauron as Nagash, various human characters as the various original 'Elector Counts'. There may be someone to be Morkar? In the end I decided I had too many armies for too many games already, but I still like the ideas.

Odin
26-08-2012, 10:09
I don't even want them to do one for 40k, but I don't really think you have an equivalent period in Warhammer anyway. Although I suppose they could do one of the Chaos Incursions, problem is though that its sort of been done before and the further you go back the more some armies change/ disappear. Something that isn't really true in 40k (okay, Tau is a problem). But I guess the could do things like War of the Beard, the Elven Civil War, Khemri vs. Nagash, etc. The problem with doing Sigmar to me at least is that there isn't really a high profile opponent. He does fight Nagash but its not really about him. If you wanted to do Empire the Vampire wars are much better.

Yeah, but the whole point is that Forgeworld can't step on GW's toes, which they would be doing with the vampire wars, as all the von Carstein's are already in there. Too recent.

And no, there is no single period that is equivalent to the HH, but why is that a problem? Instead of several books covering a single war, you'd have each book covering a separate historical war - the sundering, the war of the beard, the time of Sigmar etc. Not an issue.

Well on the topic with the existing fluff,wich long dead super characters do we have? I can think of Sigmar,Nagash,Anerion,Gilles what other founding representatives do we have for the races? These are the ones that spring to mind with what i can remember ,can any one else help out here?

Well, Settra while he was alive, the original Everchosen, Morkar, who fought Anaerion. But there's plenty of other characters - the Dwarf king who gets saved by Sigmar, Sigmar's captains, Arkhan the Black, the original Caledor...

mrtn
26-08-2012, 10:23
I had an idea awhile ago bout using the LotR rules for this. Aragorn as Sigmar, Sauron as Nagash, various human characters as the various original 'Elector Counts'. There may be someone to be Morkar? In the end I decided I had too many armies for too many games already, but I still like the ideas.
That sounds like a good idea actually. :)

And no, there is no single period that is equivalent to the HH, but why is that a problem? Instead of several books covering a single war, you'd have each book covering a separate historical war - the sundering, the war of the beard, the time of Sigmar etc. Not an issue.

In that case what you want is something more like the Imperial Armour books isn't it, rather than a big series covering the same conflict?

Urgat
26-08-2012, 12:33

You're losing me :p

Anyway, I'm still waiting for someone to explain me what's bothersome about FW doing that...

logan054
26-08-2012, 13:04
You're losing me :p

Anyway, I'm still waiting for someone to explain me what's bothersome about FW doing that...

Well clear Sigmar is the spawn of chaos, its all some trap of Tzeentchs to create a new chaos god, cunning old git.

I would rather they made more iteresting chaos stuff first, when they make some jugger knights they can do a time of legends thing, I could make my own but then you have to argue about the rules, your opponent will demand that they are heavily over priced, oh the sillyness of it all :(

Sheena Easton
26-08-2012, 13:32
Well, Settra while he was alive, the original Everchosen, Morkar, who fought Anaerion. But there's plenty of other characters - the Dwarf king who gets saved by Sigmar, Sigmar's captains, Arkhan the Black, the original Caledor...

Haven't they changed it so that Morkar fought Sigmar and Aenarion only fought hordes of Daemons?

Urgat
26-08-2012, 13:40
Well clear Sigmar is the spawn of chaos, its all some trap of Tzeentchs to create a new chaos god, cunning old git.

I would rather they made more iteresting chaos stuff first, when they make some jugger knights they can do a time of legends thing, I could make my own but then you have to argue about the rules, your opponent will demand that they are heavily over priced, oh the sillyness of it all :(

I don't think writing a book takes much time from the hands of the sculptors :p Half of Warhammer Forge stuff is chaos, so I'd say they could give it a rest for a while regardless ;)

Graxy
26-08-2012, 13:49
I wouldn't mind them basing it around a character like aenerion or morkar (don't know too much about morkar's fluff, but I know he was a pretty chill dude).

Aenerion would be pretty awesome, you'd not have to struggle to finnd characters to throw in, since you've got caledor and the other mages, pre-exile morathi or the everqueen (depending on what period of aenerion's life it's set in) etc.

To be honest, I'd be pretty happy if they re-did storm of chaos! It would take them quite a while to ge tit done, since they'd have to focus on every army rather than just one, but I reckon they could pull it off, and hopefully with some goriou models.

eldargal
26-08-2012, 13:52
Well, FW has Imperial Armour and the HH series. WF has Monstrous Arcanum and the campaign series. So we are almost there, really.

I would love to see a HE vs DE Sundering book, if only because both model ranges would be much more compatible with 'modern' HE and DE than Sigmarite Empire would be with modern Empire.

Boreas_NL
26-08-2012, 13:53
If only for the models, yes please!

logan054
26-08-2012, 14:24
I don't think writing a book takes much time from the hands of the sculptors :p Half of Warhammer Forge stuff is chaos, so I'd say they could give it a rest for a while regardless ;)

Maybe once they've done some jugger riders, I mean how can they do berzekers and nothing khorne in warhammer :( hell, I would love to see some chaos warrior conversion packs for all the gods, it might well involve buying some chaos warriors just for cloaks, but hey, I would certainly visit ebay for that ;) then maybe some night conversion packs! maybe with cloaks so all you end up using is the horses and maybe the arms, how many chaos players wouldn't be all over that kind of thing? I could see me replacing my knights :D To much nurgle and not enough khorne:(

brynolf
26-08-2012, 15:10
Not for me, thanks. IMO, the WH metastory is bland and dull. I'd rather they make more army books and generic material.

Soundwave
26-08-2012, 15:20
Haven't they changed it so that Morkar fought Sigmar and Aenarion only fought hordes of Daemons?

Well if it ever came to light we could face off Anerion vs Sigmar in a bizzare twist of fate. This would be awsome,wrong yes but still awsome.

Little Joe
26-08-2012, 15:45
There is enough but not for HH style, the scenario books could do it and the next one sure has my attention.

I would not mind a war of the beard book with models or some pre sundering dark elves. Or the dwarfs as the "exterminators" of the Fimir. Sigmar founding his empire, Nagash and his wars would make a complete series., and so on

PANZERBUNNY
27-08-2012, 07:45
Why anyone is against the Heresy being released is beyond me.

logan054
27-08-2012, 13:27
Why anyone is against the Heresy being released is beyond me.

I think the HH release is going to be cool, I can see why however yet more stuff for marines isn't going to interest some people, maybe they want to see another army get attention? Me I think in relation to the topic its far to early with warhammer forge to start doing stuff like that, they haven't released all that much stuff that you can use in a normal game of warhammer, MA was cool but its designed for SoM, not everyone plays it, I certainly don't, it doesn't interest me in the slightest (then again I don't like the mega spells from the standard game). Stuff to theme armies would be cool, not everyone wants greatswords, why not make some knightly orders on foot? they could be done as a upgrade pack to the greatswords, I'm sure people would snap them up, teutogen guard I bet would sell like hot cakes.

Jind_Singh
27-08-2012, 18:11
The more models we get, the more books we get, the happier I get!!!

I wouldn't mind - but to be honest I already enjoy the way Warhammer Forge is doing their current books - and with the new Blackfire PAss book coming I'm excited as it is!

Sheena Easton
27-08-2012, 19:28
I wouldn't be adverse to them putting out some models for The War Of The Beard (HE Drake Riders and something for the stunted ones) and maybe a Nagashizzar themed Undead list but apart from that and some more of those big Monsters, I can't think of much I'd be interested in from Warhammer Forge. Unless its Terrain like Elven Monoliths / Houses / Towers / Ruins, Orcy fortifications - or perhaps Mordheim with some lovely ruins...

Antipathy
28-08-2012, 16:14
To be fair, if it speeds up the release process of "kitbashed space marine/imperial guard tank variant" every 2 weeks I'm happy with the Horus Heresy.

That's not to say I don't like the attention to SM, far from it, but I think that it's getting to be a joke that all that a team of sculptors can come up with during their 9 to 5 over a 2 week period is the addition of Heavy Flamer sponsons and the Flamestorm/Magna Melta to a Deimos Hull Predator is a bit of a bad joke. Considering that we're still waiting for Magma Dragons from their "inclusion" in the Tamurkhan Book, alongside the entire menagerie of Monstrous Arcanum (sans 2-3 release), AND the Dominus Siege Bombard.

I mean, fair enough if they've been saving up all their best work for the HH SM Grav Tanks, Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Primarchs, Daemons, and 30K Terrain pieces, to release in 3-4 model batches for a week, but I doubt that. If you think that of the 6-7 Sculptors they have working for them, and with a 2 week release schedule, minus the holidays, and book releases, you're looking at no more than 20 new models a year, which includes kitbashes like the Deimos pattern tanks, or Valkyrie hull aircraft etc.

Urgat
28-08-2012, 20:23
MA was cool but its designed for SoM, not everyone plays it, I certainly don't, it doesn't interest me in the slightest (then again I don't like the mega spells from the standard game).
Honestly, you should still try it, you can perfectly use the binding scrolls in regular games w/o using the mega spells, the fulcrums and the special scenarios if you dislike them.

Lord Zarkov
29-08-2012, 15:37
I would love to see Sundering/War of the Beard Lists, or early Empire lists, but the thing I most want to see is human Nehekhara lists.

You could have three books covering the first triad of trilogies and most of the second (like the HH series will apparently have three).

Book 1 covering the early elf conquests, the Sundering and the War of the Beard - So a height of power Ulthran list, with Dark Elf variant (with cultists and Dark Magic users); plus WoB era units for the Dwarfs and a smattering of Special Characters all round.
Book 2 covering the early empire, with a Human Tribes list with units from each tribe that made up the empire, plus selected Special Characters from Empire, Orcs, Chaos, Dwarfs, maybe even Nagash.
Book 3 would be in Nehekhara, with a main Nehekharan list with units from each cities, plus sub lists for Immortals Era Nagash and Lahmia with Master Vampires.

Better have 5-6 books:
do Sundering/WoB separately (but you could use Dwarf WoB list with one of the Sundering lists for Malekith and Snorri's wars together)
do Nehekhara up to the first fall of Nagash in one book (basic Nehekhara army, Nagash with Immortals), then events in the life of Alcadizzar in another (Fall of Lahmia with MVs, plus Nagash's undead horde, plus more Khemri SCs), etc.