PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts skaven clan Pestilence

Tambarskjelve
26-08-2012, 11:30
I have a list for a tournament coming up next weekend, but I need all the help I can get. Last tournament I got last place, so I'm hoping to do a little bit better this time :P

This was my first draft:

Heroes: 500pts

general: plague priest lvl1 med furnace = 250
plague priest lvl1 med furnace = 250

Core: 546

30 clanrats, mus, banner, + plague wind mortar = 212
30 clanrats, mus, banner, + plague wind mortar = 212
38 slaver, = 76
5 giant rats + handler = 23
5 giant rats + handler = 23

Special: 753

34 plaguemonks, mus, storm banner = 303
35 plague monks, mus, banner = 261
5 censer bearers = 80
6 gutter runners, slings, poison = 108

Rare: 200
plagueclaw catapult = 100
plagueclaw catapult = 100

totalt : 1999

But then I thought that the slaves weren't really necessary, as the general is likely to die, and there is no bsb, so the slaves will probably be gone really quickly. So then I thought it would be better to bulk up the clanrats as they have a somewhat respectable ld8 on their own.

Then I drop the slaves to add:

40 clanrats, mus, banner + plague wind mortar = 257
37 clanrats, mus, banner + plague wind mortar = 243,5

for a total of 1999,5 pts.

What do you think? Slaves or more clanrats?

or scrap this horrible list altogether :P

Bazzal
27-08-2012, 21:37
It's a nice theme to an army but plague is fairly hard to pull off in a tournament scene as their is no armour saves for any of them.

I would personly try no get a grey seer in there, just because a single lv1 will not stop your opponents magic. Another must for Skaven is a BsB to make sure they stay in combat. This then means he could take the storm banner and your monks can take the plague banner.

But I think 2 furnaces actually weakens this list as it limits you so much, and again with no save will be shot down by turn 2.

Off the top of my head I'd go with

Grey seer - lore of plague x3 and a ruin spell

Plagueriest - lv2, power stone, foul pendant, flail, furnace

Chieften - BsB , stormbanner

29 clanrats - f.cmd, shields, mortar

40 slaves - musician

40 slaves - musician

Rat dart

Rat dart

30 monks, f.cmd, plague banner

Catapult

Catapult

Doomwheel

I think that comes to 1990 so few points left over.

But this way the doom wheel will draw a lot of attention away from your furnace and with the seer able to choose the 13th spell can pick on small units with characters in them. 4 shooting templates that ignore armour always good, still lacks super Killy power but the furnace and plague banner should see you thru the enemies main unit. Slaves there to stall enemy and to stop whel blasting you.

And for theme it's easy enought o consider clan pestilence bribing/buying clan Skyre toys to ensure their victory. And return send wheel to them all infected with plague which is sure tower ken there numbers for future battles.

But over all you should play what you like using, but the lv 4 and plague banner are two I'd def recommend. Good luck in tournament and let the community know how your games went.

Bazzal

Bazzal
27-08-2012, 21:38
It's a nice theme to an army but plague is fairly hard to pull off in a tournament scene as their is no armour saves for any of them.

I would personly try no get a grey seer in there, just because a single lv1 will not stop your opponents magic. Another must for Skaven is a BsB to make sure they stay in combat. This then means he could take the storm banner and your monks can take the plague banner.

But I think 2 furnaces actually weakens this list as it limits you so much, and again with no save will be shot down by turn 2.

Off the top of my head I'd go with

Grey seer - lore of plague x3 and a ruin spell

Plagueriest - lv2, power stone, foul pendant, flail, furnace

Chieften - BsB , stormbanner

40 slaves - musician

40 slaves - musician

Rat dart

Rat dart

30 monks, f.cmd, plague banner

Catapult

Catapult

Doomwheel

I think that comes to 1990 so few points left over.

But this way the doom wheel will draw a lot of attention away from your furnace and with the seer able to choose the 13th spell can pick on small units with characters in them. 4 shooting templates that ignore armour always good, still lacks super Killy power but the furnace and plague banner should see you thru the enemies main unit. Slaves there to stall enemy and to stop whel blasting you.

And for theme it's easy enought o consider clan pestilence bribing/buying clan Skyre toys to ensure their victory. And return send wheel to them all infected with plague which is sure tower ken there numbers for future battles.

But over all you should play what you like using, but the lv 4 and plague banner are two I'd def recommend. Good luck in tournament and let the community know how your games went.

Bazzal

Grey Seer Kwokka
28-08-2012, 07:20
Honestly, the problem I have with themed lists is that people enforce the theme far too much.

For example, your army would be much better led by a Warlord or even a Grey Seer. There's nothing stopping you dressing these characters (or their fluff) in Pestilens garb or gear. Currently, I'm planning a Clan Pestilens-themed Warlord riding on a Pox Rat, for example (simply because doing the same thing with an actual Plague Priest is far too limiting for very little benefit).

On the list itself, a couple of dot points...

- If you're going to run Censer Bearers, you need more. A lot more. A single unit of 5 is simply not going to cut it. Try 10+ and maybe more than one, because they go down like flies.
- Two of the Plague Furnaces are probably overkill.
- If you're sticking with Plague Priests and not running a Grey Seer at all, you absolutely need a Lvl2. Magic is integral to performing well with Skaven.
- I'd recommend squeezing in at least one more unit of Skavenslaves. Whether you remove the second Clanrat unit or squeeze down the two Plague Monks (T4 is nice) is up to you.

m1acca1551
28-08-2012, 07:29
Skaven should never leave home without a grey seer in a tourney list, there magic is just way to good not to.

Tambarskjelve
28-08-2012, 08:44
Thanks for the replies, I think I will make some drastic changes on this list in the future, but for now I'll stick to this list to get it all painted in time...I've given up winning really, but it will look very nice at least :P Hopefully two furnace will throw some opponents off.

m1acca1551
28-08-2012, 09:32
Haha oh it will, oh cannon crew what to shoot first :P. If you have given up on winning and doing it for fun then you have captured the essential part of this hobby, winning is simply a nice bonus!

Host Tar
28-08-2012, 09:53
Haha oh it will, oh cannon crew what to shoot first :P. If you have given up on winning and doing it for fun then you have captured the essential part of this hobby, winning is simply a nice bonus!

Absolutely! A themed list is so much fun, win or lose. Furnaces are awesome looking. My favourite are catapults though, which is handy as they're an excellent bit of kit on the field :P

Tambarskjelve
28-08-2012, 11:33
I'm planning to convert troops to fit in with the theme as much as possible, but the big things are harder to justify, doomwheel, a-bomb and similar. I'll let you know how this game goes though, and next time I'll try to make a better list and leave the heavily themed armies for pick up games