PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Army List: No Blackpowder Dwarfs (1500)

Karur_Graniteaxe
26-08-2012, 12:45
Hello All

Recently got back into the hobby, have found that my previous favourite army has changed beyond recognition and for the poorer from what I hear so I have decided to collect Dwarfs. Now I have no idea what sort of armies are in my area or what the common theme of them are so cannot give the greatest amount of detail when it comes to opponents.

Anyway's here's the list

Total Roster Cost: 1500

Runesmith - 147 pts (G)
Shield, Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking

Thane - 165 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance, Master Rune of Challenge

29 Dwarf Warriors - 315 pts
Full Command, Great Weapons

29 Longbeards - 373 pts
Full Command, Shields

Grudge Thrower - 135 pts
Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Burning, Rune of Penetrating

Grudge Thrower - 155 pts
Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Penetrating x2

Bolt Thrower - 45 pts

Bolt Thrower - 45 pts

5 Miners - 60 pts
Musician

5 Miners - 60 pts
Musician

Basic tactics are as follows; the Thane goes in the Longbeards and unless the enemy is ItP I can hopefully get them to charge my tarpit unit, if all goes well I can counter with either the GW Dwarfs or one or both of the Miners in the flanks/rear.

The Runesmith joins the GW wielding Dwarfs for a bit of safety in the first few game turns, if it looks like he'll get smashed in combat I'll run him out the back of the unit to keep him safe.

Miners I am a little confused about, do they HAVE to use the Underground advance rule? Or can I deploy them as standard chaff units?

Artillery does what it does best, GT's target large blocks, BT's target chaff/warmachines/monsters

m1acca1551
27-08-2012, 04:46
The old beards will be proud of you lad, doing things as they were done a thousand years ago.

Miners are simply to small to be effective, rangers might work better if you can afford them, drop 1 bolt thrower if you need to find the points.

Moss
27-08-2012, 04:52
Are they being used as actual miners? Or as redirectors?

I've toyed with the idea of using slayer heroes for the job. They're like 5 points cheaper, more maneuverable, and can cause just as much damage (more if you decide to spend a few extra points on runes).

Karur_Graniteaxe
27-08-2012, 07:10
I'm 50/50 on the Miners, for games where I need to get at the enemy warmachines and I'm talking about tying them down a couple of turns rather then wiping the crew out in one fell swoop then I plan on popping them out beside the warmachines. For games where there are none I was simply going to use them as chaff drops.

I looked at the DS, but thought that 5 wounds would be better redirectors (just)

poppabear
27-08-2012, 10:18
I'd say drop the miners and add in two dragon slayers for warmachine guarding and unbreakable redirectors.

SimaoSegunda
28-08-2012, 11:18
Might be worth squeezing in an extra Rune of Spellbreaking or two, just to keep enemy spellcasting in check.

Karur_Graniteaxe
29-08-2012, 12:42
Thing about the slayers is I have yet to find a model that I'd like to represent them on the table, also how effective are they versus the miners due to lower wounds?

The runes for my general I am up in the air about. Can't decide whether 3 dispells is a better option than limiting their magic with MR of Balance? Will test it out on the table for a bit before making the final choice.

Moss
29-08-2012, 23:09
Pretend that they have double wounds, since they should get LOS rolls. The lack of armor is still a problem, though.

As far as magic defense goes, I like the MRoBalance, though it all depends on your opponents' tendencies.

Karur_Graniteaxe
30-08-2012, 11:12
Moss can you expand on the opponents tendancies bit for me? I assume you mean lots of smaller buffs/hexes warrants MRo Balance?

Moss
30-08-2012, 15:49
I mean it depends on what they typically do with their magic phases.

I for example typically use a Light Slann. That means a LOT of spells with low casting values being cast with two or three dice. If you were playing me, you would want the MRoBalance, since I'm not likely to get off a huge game-breaking spell that you couldn't just dispel with your dice. You probably wouldn't need a bunch of dispels against me.

My one buddy plays High Elves, and typically takes the Lore of Life. He's one of those guys who will throw five or six dice at Dwellers. He's the kind of guy you want a dispel against.

So my point is that you should figure out what your regular opponents typically do and then decide which to take.